[How to] get full ubuntu and your favorite desktop in webtop

Search This thread

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Jim I thought I'd go ahead and hijack your thread to ask why you say to only install the 1.19 busybox? I've got 1.20.1 installed and haven't run into any issues yet. What haven't I run into yet?

It is made for ICS, and there have been a few users reporting things not working in a "stellar" manner on GB. Just watch and be careful when using anything busybox related. I have had great success with 1.20.0 and an 1.19.4, so that is what I am recommending to most people on until ICS is out, then 1.20.1, should do what it is supposed to.

There are a few kernel hooks in ICS that are not in GB, so certain calls will return nothing or gibberish to the busybox stack.

Reactions: mtnlion

ri4naire

Dec 31, 2010
What Partition Table to use?

Hey Jim,

I really appreciate all the work you do for the phone, it's great to be able to stretch the limits of our devices with your help.

I tried to do your workaround on my phone twice, actually, with a Franken-hacked (lots of little mods I cobbled along the way) and then with Supercharged and both times ran into issues. I'm also working with an Atrix OG Lapdock which seems to sometimes only want to be seen as a Standard Dock depending on what stage up the mod I'm in, but that's beside the point.

I'm starting from scratch; RSDed to 2.3.5 (which does Webtop swimmingly with the old Lapdock, no mods, root, nothing, although it says "Unsupported Device"), I'm going to update and apply this mod along the way.

Quick question, though. What Partition Table should I use on my SD card? I had GPT because I was in Windows and was trying to clear everything up for the second try but I'm in Ubuntu now and using GParted.

Last time I tried to run your script it gave me an error and mentioned that GPT was wrong, actually, which is why I'm switching to GParted.

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hey Jim,

I really appreciate all the work you do for the phone, it's great to be able to stretch the limits of our devices with your help.

I tried to do your workaround on my phone twice, actually, with a Franken-hacked (lots of little mods I cobbled along the way) and then with Supercharged and both times ran into issues. I'm also working with an Atrix OG Lapdock which seems to sometimes only want to be seen as a Standard Dock depending on what stage up the mod I'm in, but that's beside the point.

I'm starting from scratch; RSDed to 2.3.5 (which does Webtop swimmingly with the old Lapdock, no mods, root, nothing, although it says "Unsupported Device"), I'm going to update and apply this mod along the way.

Quick question, though. What Partition Table should I use on my SD card? I had GPT because I was in Windows and was trying to clear everything up for the second try but I'm in Ubuntu now and using GParted.

Last time I tried to run your script it gave me an error and mentioned that GPT was wrong, actually, which is why I'm switching to GParted.

Your partition needs to be formatted as an ext3 primary linux partition.

If you go to the OP here I give step by step how to do it with gparted. :D

z652366

Feb 17, 2012
Jim,
what happened to my phone is like this

tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/en/UTF-8/Wfcmgr: file changed as we read it
tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/en/UTF-8/pna.nls: file changed as we read it
tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/en/UTF-8/Wfica: file changed as we read it
tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/en/UTF-8: file changed as we read it
tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/en/Wfcmgr: file changed as we read it
tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/en/Wfica: file changed as we read it
tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/en/module.ini: file changed as we read it
tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/en: file changed as we read it
tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/ja/UTF-8/Wfcmgr: file changed as we read it

i confused...what should i do

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Jim,
what happened to my phone is like this

tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/en/UTF-8/Wfcmgr: file changed as we read it
tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/en/UTF-8/pna.nls: file changed as we read it
tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/en/UTF-8/Wfica: file changed as we read it
tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/en/UTF-8: file changed as we read it
tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/en/Wfcmgr: file changed as we read it
tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/en/Wfica: file changed as we read it
tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/en/module.ini: file changed as we read it
tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/en: file changed as we read it
tar: ./usr/lib/ICAClient/nls/ja/UTF-8/Wfcmgr: file changed as we read it

i confused...what should i do

You should be ok, that just means that you were copying a file that was being written to, besides those are fonts, so you "should" be ok. Does the rest of the hack work, can you pull up a terminal in webtop? Have you tried to launch webtop yet?

ri4naire

Dec 31, 2010
So I tried wiping everything, right?

I flashed to 2.3.5
Formatted my SD card (I'm pretty sure it was a MSDOS Partition Table I wanted, btw, which Partition Wizard doesn't do, it only does GPT)
Updated to 2.3.6
Rooted with [HOWTO] Root the Atrix 2(Updated for 2.3.6 FINALLY)
Installed JRummy's Busybox from PlayMarket, installed busybox 1.19.4 in /system/bin

Then I started to run into issues. I pushed the tarball over and when I adb'd in I got "tar: not found"... Ok, fixed this by using stericson's and explicitly installing tar. What was that all about? I get things going again, run the shell script, it chugs along until I see this...

Code:

./etc/mtab
./etc/resolv.conf
./etc/shadow
./etc/passwd
We are done and your phone will now reboot, go visit the xda-developers thread a
nd perform the next steps when your phone starts back up.
link_image[1964]:  9253 could not load needed library 'liblog.so' for '/system/b
in/reboot' (link_image[1964]:  9253 could not load needed library 'libgcc_s.so.1
' for 'liblog.so' (load_library[1106]: Library 'libgcc_s.so.1' not found))CANNOT
 LINK EXECUTABLE
 root@edison:/data/local#

... and the phone does not actually reboot. Webtop is working up until this point so I reboot the phone manually, "mount -o remount, rw /", pop it in the lapdock and it doesn't work. I got the pulsing Motorola "M" and then the screen glows but is black, phone's screen is off. If I close the screen the phone thinks it gets disconnected from charge for a second and then tells me it's in a Standard Dock.

I pulled the webtop_setup.log but it's a bunch of directory names as to be expected except for the bit near the end where it says:

Code:
./proc/13892/oom_adj
./proc/13892/coredump_filter
unmounting your sdcard from the temp mount, now that we are done copying all the files.

Now we will mount the sdcard with webtop copied over to it, to the correct place, so we can patch it, and remove the FACLs and MACLs. These are what prevent you accessing application and making changes in the ubuntu install.

No FACLs or MACLs running here, skipping to the next step

Now that we don't have any MACLs or FACLs in place, I will add synaptic and a terminal to the install with a patch. After this go thank mbm on the xda-developers forum for this patch!
./
./sbin/

I see you've asked for this information from others, I don't know if it will help but I appreciate any assistance and so I don't want you to have to go back and forth.

Code:
adb shell
su
id
which busybox
busybox df -h
which su
exit
sexitu
id
which busybox
busybox df -h
which su
shell@edison:/$ su
exit
root@edison:/# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
root@edison:/# which busybox
/system/bin/busybox
root@edison:/# busybox df -h
Filesystem                    Size       Used        Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                          464.7M    344.0K    464.3M   0%     /dev
tmpfs                          464.7M     0           464.7M   0%    /mnt/asec
tmpfs                          464.7M     0           464.7M   0%    /mnt/obb
/dev/block/system         477.5M    330.4M    147.1M   69%  /system
/dev/block/userdata       4.5G       331.1M      4.2G     7%    /data
/dev/block/cache           688.6M   16.8M       671.8M   2%  /cache
/dev/block/webtop         4.0G       891.1M      3.0G     23%  /osh
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2     4.0G      891.1M      3.0G      23%  /osh
/dev/block/pds              3.9M       1.1M        2.8M      28%  /pds
/dev/block/preinstall       274.7M    29.8M      245.0M  11%  /preinstall
/dev/block/vold/179:1     10.7G     550.6M     10.2G    5%   /mnt/sdcard
/dev/block/vold/179:1     10.7G      550.6M     10.2G   5%    /mnt/secure/asec
df: /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure: Invalid cross-device link
/mnt/sdcard                  10.7G    550.6M      10.2G    5%    /mnt/sdcard
root@edison:/# which su
/system/bin/su
root@edison:/# exit
shell@edison:/$

What's that "Invalid cross-device link" all about? I feel like that's something I've seen when trying to transfer from internal to mounted memory.

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
So I tried wiping everything, right?

I flashed to 2.3.5
Formatted my SD card (I'm pretty sure it was a MSDOS Partition Table I wanted, btw, which Partition Wizard doesn't do, it only does GPT)
Updated to 2.3.6
Rooted with [HOWTO] Root the Atrix 2(Updated for 2.3.6 FINALLY)
Installed JRummy's Busybox from PlayMarket, installed busybox 1.19.4 in /system/bin

Then I started to run into issues. I pushed the tarball over and when I adb'd in I got "tar: not found"... Ok, fixed this by using stericson's and explicitly installing tar. What was that all about? I get things going again, run the shell script, it chugs along until I see this...

Code:

./etc/mtab
./etc/resolv.conf
./etc/shadow
./etc/passwd
We are done and your phone will now reboot, go visit the xda-developers thread a
link_image[1964]:  9253 could not load needed library 'liblog.so' for '/system/b
in/reboot' (link_image[1964]:  9253 could not load needed library 'libgcc_s.so.1
' for 'liblog.so' (load_library[1106]: Library 'libgcc_s.so.1' not found))CANNOT
 LINK EXECUTABLE

... and the phone does not actually reboot. Webtop is working up until this point so I reboot the phone manually, "mount -o remount, rw /", pop it in the lapdock and it doesn't work. I got the pulsing Motorola "M" and then the screen glows but is black, phone's screen is off. If I close the screen the phone thinks it gets disconnected from charge for a second and then tells me it's in a Standard Dock.

I pulled the webtop_setup.log but it's a bunch of directory names as to be expected except for the bit near the end where it says:

Code:
./proc/13892/oom_adj
./proc/13892/coredump_filter
unmounting your sdcard from the temp mount, now that we are done copying all the files.

Now we will mount the sdcard with webtop copied over to it, to the correct place, so we can patch it, and remove the FACLs and MACLs. These are what prevent you accessing application and making changes in the ubuntu install.

No FACLs or MACLs running here, skipping to the next step

Now that we don't have any MACLs or FACLs in place, I will add synaptic and a terminal to the install with a patch. After this go thank mbm on the xda-developers forum for this patch!
./
./sbin/

I see you've asked for this information from others, I don't know if it will help but I appreciate any assistance and so I don't want you to have to go back and forth.

Code:
adb shell
su
id
which busybox
busybox df -h
which su
exit
sexitu
id
which busybox
busybox df -h
which su
exit
root@edison:/# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
root@edison:/# which busybox
/system/bin/busybox
root@edison:/# busybox df -h
Filesystem                    Size       Used        Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                          464.7M    344.0K    464.3M   0%     /dev
tmpfs                          464.7M     0           464.7M   0%    /mnt/asec
tmpfs                          464.7M     0           464.7M   0%    /mnt/obb
/dev/block/system         477.5M    330.4M    147.1M   69%  /system
/dev/block/userdata       4.5G       331.1M      4.2G     7%    /data
/dev/block/cache           688.6M   16.8M       671.8M   2%  /cache
/dev/block/webtop         4.0G       891.1M      3.0G     23%  /osh
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2     4.0G      891.1M      3.0G      23%  /osh
/dev/block/pds              3.9M       1.1M        2.8M      28%  /pds
/dev/block/preinstall       274.7M    29.8M      245.0M  11%  /preinstall
/dev/block/vold/179:1     10.7G     550.6M     10.2G    5%   /mnt/sdcard
/dev/block/vold/179:1     10.7G      550.6M     10.2G   5%    /mnt/secure/asec
df: /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure: Invalid cross-device link
/mnt/sdcard                  10.7G    550.6M      10.2G    5%    /mnt/sdcard
root@edison:/# which su
/system/bin/su
root@edison:/# exit
shell@edison:/$

What's that "Invalid cross-device link" all about? I feel like that's something I've seen when trying to transfer from internal to mounted memory.

Try this, I think that somehow the MACLs (Mandatory Access Control) were not turned off.

Code:
adb shell
su
cd /osh/etc
mv tomoyo toy
exit
exit

Now reboot your phone (power it off and back on).
After your phone comes all the way back up, then connect it to the dock, or hdmi cable and try webtop again, and see if you can get the terminal to launch.

Thanks for sending all of that data beforehand it helped me figure out what I think the issue could be, much faster.

Last edited:

ri4naire

Dec 31, 2010
Q'apla!

"adas@localhost:/data/home/adas$" in the house.
Thank you, Jim. This is amazing, if only I didn't have to leave for work right now... Will work on this further later tonight.

williammturner

Jan 29, 2009
Hi Jim,

I have stock rooted 2.3.5. I have tried a hard reset 3 times, re-flashed the stock ROM with fastboot, formatted the sd card 3 times (tried both gparted and Windows) and have Busybox v1.19.4 installed in /system/bin. I keep getting the following error when I run the script:

./proc/4005/attr/fscreate
./proc/4005/attr/keycreate
./proc/4005/attr/sockcreate
./proc/4005/wchan
./proc/4005/stack
./proc/4005/schedstat
./proc/4005/cgroup
./proc/4005/oom_score
./proc/4005/oom_adj
./proc/4005/coredump_filter
tar: ./proc: implausibly old time stamp 1969-12-31 16:00:00

I'm not sure how far into the script this error occurs, but it runs for quite a while before reaching this point. Regular Webtop continues to function.

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hi Jim,

I have stock rooted 2.3.5. I have tried a hard reset 3 times, re-flashed the stock ROM with fastboot, formatted the sd card 3 times (tried both gparted and Windows) and have Busybox v1.19.4 installed in /system/bin. I keep getting the following error when I run the script:

./proc/4005/attr/fscreate
./proc/4005/attr/keycreate
./proc/4005/attr/sockcreate
./proc/4005/wchan
./proc/4005/stack
./proc/4005/schedstat
./proc/4005/cgroup
./proc/4005/oom_score
./proc/4005/oom_adj
./proc/4005/coredump_filter
tar: ./proc: implausibly old time stamp 1969-12-31 16:00:00

I'm not sure how far into the script this error occurs, but it runs for quite a while before reaching this point. Regular Webtop continues to function.

Someone asked this same question a few posts back. /proc is similar to temp space, but for the running kernels processes.

You should be just fine. What this means is that you did not got into the webtop connector and stop your last running webtop session, so the files in /proc are out of date.

noobsquared

Nov 30, 2011
I messed with my OG Atrix and did all sorts of WebTop mods with webtop2sd and chmod but I can't get Atrix 2 to cooperate.

I get the same error as everyone else but for me, the phone won't go past Motorola logo once I reboot after this:

tar: ./proc: implausibly old time stamp 1969-12-31 18:00:00
unmounting your sdcard from the temp mount, now that we are done copying all the
files.

Now we will mount the sdcard with webtop copied over to it, to the correct place
, so we can patch it, and remove the FACLs and MACLs. These are what prevent you
accessing application and making changes in the ubuntu install.

mount: /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 already mounted or /osh busy
link_image[1964]: 5540 could not load needed library 'liblog.so' for '/system/b
in/reboot' (link_image[1964]: 5540 could not load needed library 'libgcc_s.so.1
LINK EXECUTABLE
root@edison:/data/local# df /osh
df /osh
Filesystem Size Used Free Blksize
/osh 6G 673M 6G 1024
root@edison:/data/local# exit
exit
shell@edison:/$ exit
exit

Edit: Nvm, I'm an idiot.
It took a long time for phone to reboot but it finally did come back and now I am in webtop successfully.
Thank you!!

Last edited:

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
I messed with my OG Atrix and did all sorts of WebTop mods with webtop2sd and chmod but I can't get Atrix 2 to cooperate.

I get the same error as everyone else but for me, the phone won't go past Motorola logo once I reboot after this:

tar: ./proc: implausibly old time stamp 1969-12-31 18:00:00
unmounting your sdcard from the temp mount, now that we are done copying all the
files.

Now we will mount the sdcard with webtop copied over to it, to the correct place
, so we can patch it, and remove the FACLs and MACLs. These are what prevent you
accessing application and making changes in the ubuntu install.

mount: /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 already mounted or /osh busy
link_image[1964]: 5540 could not load needed library 'liblog.so' for '/system/b
in/reboot' (link_image[1964]: 5540 could not load needed library 'libgcc_s.so.1
LINK EXECUTABLE
root@edison:/data/local# df /osh
df /osh
Filesystem Size Used Free Blksize
/osh 6G 673M 6G 1024
root@edison:/data/local# exit
exit
shell@edison:/$ exit
exit

Edit: Nvm, I'm an idiot.
It took a long time for phone to reboot but it finally did come back and now I am in webtop successfully.
Thank you!!

Good, I am glad you are up and running and did not have the issue you thought you did!

Have fun with webtop!

noobsquared

Nov 30, 2011
Good, I am glad you are up and running and did not have the issue you thought you did!

Have fun with webtop!

Thank you! I didn't realize you are in Dallas too. You should let me buy you a couple of beers or some starbucks if you are in the area.

On a separate note, I just noticed that I can't type anything in the synaptic manager. For some reason, the textbox design is messed up and it won't let me tab into it or click in it to type for a software to search. I really want to test the openvpn to see if I can log in to my work from this.

Also, is pidgin not working with this? I should give it a try and see for myself I guess :)
Thank you once again, all your efforts are appreciated.

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Thank you! I didn't realize you are in Dallas too. You should let me buy you a couple of beers or some starbucks if you are in the area.

On a separate note, I just noticed that I can't type anything in the synaptic manager. For some reason, the textbox design is messed up and it won't let me tab into it or click in it to type for a software to search. I really want to test the openvpn to see if I can log in to my work from this.

Also, is pidgin not working with this? I should give it a try and see for myself I guess :)
Thank you once again, all your efforts are appreciated.

How are you connecting to webtop? Are you on one of the docs or using the webtop hdmi hack?

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
I bought the Atrix 4G lapdock and I just swapped ports. So, to answer your question...I am on actual lapdock.

Ok, it is using a doc that causes that odd behavior with synaptic, I use the HD doc and it does that same thing.

I just learned to live with it, since I don't install things all that often. Once I am all setup I almost never launch synaptic. Luckily you can use the pull down and scroll pretty fast and you can sort the apps by something easy to find what you need like by release number, or app name or, something like that, at the top.

Reactions: noobsquared

noobsquared

Nov 30, 2011
Ok, it is using a doc that causes that odd behavior with synaptic, I use the HD doc and it does that same thing.

I just learned to live with it, since I don't install things all that often. Once I am all setup I almost never launch synaptic. Luckily you can use the pull down and scroll pretty fast and you can sort the apps by something easy to find what you need like by release number, or app name or, something like that, at the top.

Thanks for the info on that, I would have killed myself over that stupid thing..lol
I ran into issues with system/xbin busybox and all so I am in the process of RSDing it back to stock and start fresh with system/bin busybox and try one more time doing this exactly like you posted.
I had busybosy 1.20 I think (not 1.20.1, as it won't install). I am guessing if I do everything as you said with busybox 1.19 in system/bin on a fresh install...I might have better luck.

If it's still the same, at least my OCD won't bother me as much that I did everything fresh once I got the dock.
Thank you once again for all your help and support.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

So, I just did a fresh install of Stock 2.3.5 and updated to 2.3.6.
Rooted using motofail and installed busybox (version: 1.9.4) in system/bin

I am having worst luck than before:

su
root@edison:/# cd /data/local
cd /data/local
root@edison:/data/local# ls
ls
mbm.tar.bz2
12m
webtop_unlock.tar
mountosh
mountosh1
setup_webtop.sh
tmp
root@edison:/data/local# tar -xvf webtop_unlock.tar
tar -xvf webtop_unlock.tar
tar: not found
root@edison:/data/local# chmod 755 setup_webtop.sh
chmod 755 setup_webtop.sh
root@edison:/data/local# sh ./setup_webtop.sh
sh ./setup_webtop.sh
tee: not found

Edit:

I had to install Busybox v.1.20 in order to get sh or tar command to work.

Also, what is this message you get all the time:

file changed as we read it.

Anything to worry about?

Last edited:

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the info on that, I would have killed myself over that stupid thing..lol
I ran into issues with system/xbin busybox and all so I am in the process of RSDing it back to stock and start fresh with system/bin busybox and try one more time doing this exactly like you posted.
I had busybosy 1.20 I think (not 1.20.1, as it won't install). I am guessing if I do everything as you said with busybox 1.19 in system/bin on a fresh install...I might have better luck.

If it's still the same, at least my OCD won't bother me as much that I did everything fresh once I got the dock.
Thank you once again for all your help and support.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

So, I just did a fresh install of Stock 2.3.5 and updated to 2.3.6.
Rooted using motofail and installed busybox (version: 1.9.4) in system/bin

I am having worst luck than before:

su
root@edison:/# cd /data/local
cd /data/local
root@edison:/data/local# ls
ls
mbm.tar.bz2
12m
webtop_unlock.tar
mountosh
mountosh1
setup_webtop.sh
tmp
root@edison:/data/local# tar -xvf webtop_unlock.tar
tar: not found
root@edison:/data/local# chmod 755 setup_webtop.sh
root@edison:/data/local# sh ./setup_webtop.sh
sh ./setup_webtop.sh
tee: not found

Edit:

I had to install Busybox v.1.20 in order to get sh or tar command to work.

Also, what is this message you get all the time:

file changed as we read it.

Anything to worry about?

All of those commands are links within the busybox install... that means that your busybox install is not right... go grab the busybox installer from jrummy or stericson from the google play market, then install it in /system/bin, and have it create the links for you.

then rerun the setup_webtop.sh again.

--EDIT--

I just saw you updated as I was writing...

No the file updated is not an issue, you should be ok, it is most likely something in /proc.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, Today I will show how to fully unlock the webtop feature in the Atrix 2, so that you can use your favorite Linux apps and desktop, to be more productive while using webtop.

This will be in several posts to make this easier to read and understand.

There are several requirements I will list here, first:

1) A way to use webtop - The HD, or lapdock, or have completed the webtop mod for the HDMI connection Here
    2) This is most important, and if you completed 1, then you most likely have done it, root your Atrix 2
    3) A USB SDcard reader. I have the Sandisk imagemagick, but any one you like will do
    4) Be able to ADB from your computer to your phone
    5) Not afraid of a little command line work :)

Partition Instructions:
    Depending upon your operating system, free software is available so that you can partition and format your device without losing all the data on it.

You will need to get one of the apps / iso images below, I recommend the live iso with gparted on it, just because I am a UNIX/ Linux guy by trade and choice, and this is what I use.

Linux gparted live iso image:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Windows MiniTool Partition Wizard:
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

You must create a parition on your SDcard for webtop, as this is is a full Operating System and takes a good bit of space. I made mine around 8GB on my 32GB card, and for the purpose of showing you here, I created a 4GB partition on a spare 16GB card I have. 1GB is the minimum, because that is what is already being used on the Atrix2 and I think it is about 80% full or so.

The partition you create MUST be a primary partition and formated to ext3.

For Windows here are some screen shots from another board that may help, with instructions:

This is what the MiniTool Partition Wizard screen looks like when I have an 8 GB SD card inserted. As you can see, there's currently one single FAT32 partition present.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651143&d=1310342755

When you right click on the partition, you'll see a Move/Resize option. That's the one you want to select for non-destructive partitioning.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651144&d=1310342755

At that point, you can select how large you want your partition to be. You want to make sure that the "Unallocated Space Before" stays at 0.00 MB, so that the new partition will be the second one. In my case, I've opted to create a 4 GB partition as the second partition.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651145&d=1310342755

Once that has been set up, right click on the Unallocated space, then select Create.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651146&d=1310342766

We're not worried about the warning that Windows throws up, particularly since we know we'll be creating a partition that Windows can't read anyways. So just hit Yes.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651147&d=1310342766

Create the second partition at the maximum size with the following settings:

Create As: Primary
    File System: Ext3
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651148&d=1310342766

After that's done, click on the Apply Changes button.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651149&d=1310342766

And now you're done! Put the card back into your Atrix2

Now for gparted:

If you are familiar with Linux and know how to use gparted, just resize your FAT32 partition to whatever size you want, then create a partition at least 1GB in size (I recommend 4GB), and make it an EXT3.

Now for the rest that are using the iso here is some info and screen prints:

Launch gparted:
    Here is a screen print of my desktop with gparted running:
    picture.php

Now in the upper right corner there is a little drop down that has something like /dev/sda in it, change this to your SDcard, mine was /dev/sdc.

Next right click on the partition in the middle of the screen, it should be surrounded in green, then click Resize/Move:
    picture.php

Then when the next screen comes up, drag the arrow from the left to the middle of the screen to resize the partition, to the size you want, this is in MegaBytes:
    picture.php

Now will have one partition that is ready to resize, and it should look like this, you will click on the "Apply all Operations button":
    picture.php

Then a little window with the percentage will show up and tell you when it is complete, just click the close button when it finishes.

Next you will right click on the unallocated part of the SDcard and click new:
    picture.php

Then you will tell it how big in new size box, I let it do the whole thing at 4GB, then select ext3 in the File system drop down menu:
    picture.php

Then after you click add in the last screen, you will click the "Apply all Operations button" Again:
    picture.php

Now it will show the percentage window again, and when it is complete, click the close button.

Done! Now it should look like this:
    picture.php

Put your SDcard back into your phone now.

Next will be how to copy over some patches and a script that will do a lot more, and a manual way for the brave.
    Now that you can get into synaptic, go find a desktop you like and install it.

I use gnome and I like it, but here is a list of KNOWN working apps, I am sure there are many more, just know some will not work at all.

Working Programs:
    OpenOffice
    XFCE4
    Xchat
    LxTerminal
    Transmission
    lxpanel
    rdesktop
    VLC Player (Video is choppy)
    Gnome-Panel
    Evolution Email
    Chrome-Browser

Now that you have a desktop you want to run, lets set it up to start for you instead of that launcher at the bottom of the screen now.

After installing your DE of choice thru apt-get or synaptic, navigate on your phone with Root File Explorer to /osh/usr/local/bin/ and open the file "start-oshwt-2.sh" in the text editor and you will be presented with something that looks like this:

#! /bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: start_lxde2.sh
    # Required-Start:
    # Required-Stop:
    # Default-Start:
    # Default-Stop:
    # Short-Description: started by adas user at login
    ### END INIT INFO

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib

. /lib/lsb/init-functions
    export `fbcp_dsba`

log_action_msg "Will now start OSHWT 2 scripts"

sfalv -i "/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor"

# start OSHWT 2 scripts
    sfalv -i "awn-autostart"
    sfalv -i "webtop-panel"
    sfalv -i "webtop-wallpaper"
    sfalv -i "evbridge"
    webtop-wallpaper &
    evbridge &
    sfalv -i "window_switcher"
    system-config-printer-applet >/dev/null 2>/dev/null &
    sr-test avahi_start &

# IKXWEBTOP-5690 workaround.
    # xkb is broken in 10.10 in that each time a keyboard is connected
    # the layout of all other keyboards become the layout of
    # the last connected keyboard.
    # There is an xorg.conf.d rule that forces all keyboards to
    # layout 'us(android)' but for some reason it is not working for
    # evfwd. Here we force xkb to work with 'us(android)' so evfwd
    # is assigned the right layout.
    setxkbmap 'us(android)'

Note:
    I highlighted the section you are interested in in Blue.
    The sfalv -i "awn-autostart" command might also bin the file /osh/usr/local/bin/start-oshwt-1.sh

From here, if you comment out the sfalv -i "awn-autostart", then add to the script sfalv -i "xfdesktop" and sfalv -i "xfce4-panel" if you installed xfce4 or whatever Desktop environment you installed. If you followed this, your script should look like this:

#! /bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: start_lxde2.sh
    # Required-Start:
    # Required-Stop:
    # Default-Start:
    # Default-Stop:
    # Short-Description: started by adas user at login
    ### END INIT INFO

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib

. /lib/lsb/init-functions
    export `fbcp_dsba`

log_action_msg "Will now start OSHWT 2 scripts"

sfalv -i "/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor"

# start OSHWT 2 scripts
    #sfalv -i "awn-autostart"
    sfalv -i "webtop-panel"
    sfalv -i "xfdesktop"
    sfalv -i "xfce4-panel"
    #sfalv -i "webtop-wallpaper"
    #sfalv -i "evbridge"
    webtop-wallpaper &
    evbridge &
    sfalv -i "window_switcher"
    system-config-printer-applet >/dev/null 2>/dev/null &
    sr-test avahi_start &

# IKXWEBTOP-5690 workaround.
    # xkb is broken in 10.10 in that each time a keyboard is connected
    # the layout of all other keyboards become the layout of
    # the last connected keyboard.
    # There is an xorg.conf.d rule that forces all keyboards to
    # layout 'us(android)' but for some reason it is not working for
    # evfwd. Here we force xkb to work with 'us(android)' so evfwd
    # is assigned the right layout.
    setxkbmap 'us(android)'

picture.php
    I want ubuntu at ICS LEAK 4.0.4 very much..because I`m in Russia, and I want to have a russian input keyboard.

Be patient!

I am working on getting ubuntu back for webtop for ICS... but the "Official" OTA has not even been released yet. I am working on things using the leak, but that is no guarantee... So, again just hang tight, I am working in the background to bring the ubuntu webtop back from the dead.
    Ok, so now that we are partitioned we can do some real fun stuff, and by fun stuff I mean command line. :)

I would make sure you are plugged into a power source when you are doing this part, becuase the script will run for a very long time, it is copying 1GB of data to your SDcard, and installing a patch that includes another 100 or so MB of needed programs.

Go get this tarball

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU COPY THIS INTO /data/local ON YOUR PHONE

Copy this to your system with:

adb push webtop_unlock.tar /data/local

Now connect to your phone with ADB

adb shell
    su
    cd /data/local
    sh ./setup_webtop.sh

This will do a whole lot of things, like copy the webtop install to your SDcard, then patch it, so that you can run synaptic and a termial and disable the FACLs and MACLs that Motorola has implemented, so that it is not locked down anymore.

***Note: I only had a chance to run and test this script once, so if it is an issue please let me know nicely in a post here, or PM me, but please copy any errors or get a screen print if you can, so that I know what to fix. Please don't post a reply with it did not work, give me as much info as you can.

After your phone reboots ADB into it again, and do this:
    su
    mount -o remount, rw /

**take note that you must run the "mount -o remount, rw /" command anytime you reboot your phone because any programs you get thru apt-get or synaptic will error out during installation
    Now that you have most of what you need Do this:

Connect to webtop with whatever method you like, HD dock, or lapdock, or TV (you most likely have to have a bluetooth keyboard mouse to use your TV).

Then when the webtop session starts:
    Ctrl+Alt+T

picture.php

When the Terminal launches type this at the command line and hit return
    sudo apt-get update

From here, you can run "gksu synaptic" and use the password "test" to start installing various different programs and packages that are normally available on Ubuntu.

picture.php

Dependencies
    Take caution when modding Webtop because there are some dependencies that will break Webtop if they are upgraded such as anything ending in a .mot or anything resembling that.

Credits
    Please thank [mbm] for fixing what Motorola took out, without him, none of this would be possible without his patch.

Sogarth for being the pioneer of Webtop hacking.