[Q] Root for Asus Fonepad

Search This thread

Sexxmax

Aug 2, 2003
Hey Guys

I have bought the asus Fonepad which so far is a great device.
But i can´t find any information onn the internet on how to root it.

Could you use a general root for the padfone or do i have to wait for
a special root.

Thank you

zours

Jun 17, 2013
I see your tool come with raw2files is provide full function to patch and rebuild raw file from original raw file right ?
I think we just need run prebuild.sh and after that call raw2files to rebuild new firmware with patch right ?

Yes this tool opens a RAW file, patch it and rebuild the RAW.
You just need to run raw2files as I explained in the previous post (without the CRC for this version), then the "patch" program.
prebuild.sh is called internally by raw2files, you should not run it yourself.

Last edited:

quangnhut123

Nov 29, 2009
Yes this tool opens a RAW file, patch it and rebuild the RAW.
You just need to run raw2files as I explained in the previous post (without the CRC for this version), then the "patch" program.
prebuild.sh is called internally by raw2files, you should not run it yourself.

Ok what do you mean about without CRC ? you mean that will build with old CRC and structure from original raw file (as template file) and after restore we get a new CRC correct and use patch to correct CRC right ?
Why not include patch in your main program as a parameter we can call "raw2files patch CRC_number" to patch and if without this it will rebuild only !

Last edited:

zours

Jun 17, 2013
Ok what do you mean about without CRC ? you mean that will build with old CRC and structure from original raw file (as template file) and after restore we get a new CRC correct and use patch to correct CRC right ?
Why not include patch in your main program as a parameter we can call "raw2files patch CRC_number" to patch and if without this it will rebuild only !

Yes, this version copies the header, so also the original (wrong) CRC. Then you have to flash the resulting firmware to get the correct CRC, and finally use "patch" to put the correct CRC.
You can't specify the CRC at the moment you call raw2files because you don't know it at this moment.

quangnhut123

Nov 29, 2009
Yes, this version copies the header, so also the original (wrong) CRC. Then you have to flash the resulting firmware to get the correct CRC, and finally use "patch" to put the correct CRC.
You can't specify the CRC at the moment you call raw2files because you don't know it at this moment.

No i mean you can include patch function in main program.
When we need to build result firmware use raw2files filename.raw
When we need to patch CRC use raw2files -p new_CRC filename.raw .
It's for more convience use :D
I'll rewrite all of that with C# and public soon

tobyclh

May 26, 2013
Hello,
I got an email stating we've already able to root out fonepad
A great thank to everyone who invest his or her time on this issue :D

However, what I am looking for is a bit different,
it seems fondpad is able to run Windows 8 with the atom CPU from Intel,
will there be anyone who can take a look into this issue?
It will be great if I could use those traditional apps on my fonepad :laugh:

zozzo

Mar 20, 2012
Hi folks!!
Unfortunately the raw ww 3.2.3-2 doesn't work for me :( i boot and flash the raw..what i did wrong?

How can i fix?

I'm here for any major informstion, thanks in advance!!]

mcfisch

A hinf for those who have an own GDrive (Google) account and can't download the file:

Add the linked file from botto00 to your account and then create a copy of the file somewhere in your own GDrive home. This copy you'll own, so you can then download it even if the other isn't allowed anymore.

Fo me that worked fine and I'me now enjoying the new abilities rooting allows me. :D

botto00

Jun 5, 2009
My current workload makes me work 25 hours a day, so for now I'll be a little aloof. :crying:

In the forum there are people more involved and probably much more prepared so this continued progress

I hope to continue helping them when my bosses give me a break

posting this so that no one gets angry with me or feel ignored. :angel:

Note to quangnhut123 and Zours. I Continuous working in the checksum but at a much lower rate. If I have some progress I'll let you know. I hope you have better luck;) :highfive:

skalagix

Jul 7, 2010
Hi folks!!
Unfortunately the raw ww 3.2.3-2 doesn't work for me :( i boot and flash the raw..what i did wrong?

How can i fix?

I'm here for any major informstion, thanks in advance!!]

Your going to have to give a little more information for someone to help you. Are you using the correct regional version for your Fonepad? is it giving you any errors when flashing? Is the sd-card free from other update files?

Sent from my Asus Fonepad ME371MG using xda-developers app

quangnhut123

Nov 29, 2009
My current workload makes me work 25 hours a day, so for now I'll be a little aloof. :crying:

In the forum there are people more involved and probably much more prepared so this continued progress

Note to quangnhut123 and Zours. I Continuous working in the checksum but at a much lower rate. If I have some progress I'll let you know. I hope you have better luck;) :highfive:

Yeah up to now seem to be wait you for the method to generate CRC and Zours is completed his code in linux while i stuck at modify system.img because in windows i cannot mount system.img native it's an extension of linux ext4. So that's hard for me to auto patch it as him

Drapik

Jun 14, 2013
Petition unlock the boot loader for Asus FonePad ME371MG

Hi Everyone,

Do you want to unlock the boot loader for Asus FonePad ME371MG?

Please help with this petition to ASUS!

Here is the link:
https://www.change.org/petitions/asus-issue-a-bootloader-unlocker-for-the-asus-fonepad-me371mg#

I hope to get new ROM my device is from China and there is no way to get Google Play (I tried so many things,) I am really frustrated and excitement of new device is covered with frustration!

Thanks to botto00 I root my device! Hermosas gracias!!!!

Last edited:

devrruti

Jan 23, 2011
Thanks for the root! Do you think boot loader will be unlockable anytime soon? I dream of dual booting onto Ubuntu and even being able to use windows apps with wine on a x86 CPU.

Offttopic, but quick question until fonepad gets its own forum section: What kind of earphones with mic work with the phonepad? Should I look for iPhone compatible ones? (I read somewhere they work) and if so, are the iPhone 3, 4 or 5 ones the same?

Sony earphones with mic don't work, and the integrated mic volume is too low

zozzo

Mar 20, 2012
Your going to have to give a little more information for someone to help you. Are you using the correct regional version for your Fonepad? is it giving you any errors when flashing? Is the sd-card free from other update files?

this is the name of file "ME371MG_all_WW_user_V3.2.3-2.raw". I'm not sure for the regional....i compra the build number to the name of file to choose it. Infact my build number was xxxx.WWxxxxx-V3.2.3-2XXXX. In the SD card there's no other update file.

the only remarkable thing is that at the beginning of the procedure the shell says not find asus bundle file.

The problem is that root checker test is false (and LBE Privacy guard too) but other app not work because believe the tablet is root...like a middle situation. :(

zours

Jun 17, 2013
No i mean you can include patch function in main program.
When we need to build result firmware use raw2files filename.raw
When we need to patch CRC use raw2files -p new_CRC filename.raw .
It's for more convience use :D
I'll rewrite all of that with C# and public soon

I see what you mean, but I prefer to keep 2 different programs, one for each task. That's the unix way :)
Anyway it won't be harder to use, I hope.

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Same for me here, and also working on the CRC :)
I hope other people could help, there is still so much to do (CRC, kernel config, dual boot, ...). I'd like to port linux to the fonepad.

All the best to you ! :highfive:

skalagix

Jul 7, 2010
this is the name of file "ME371MG_all_WW_user_V3.2.3-2.raw". I'm not sure for the regional....i compra the build number to the name of file to choose it. Infact my build number was xxxx.WWxxxxx-V3.2.3-2XXXX. In the SD card there's no other update file.

the only remarkable thing is that at the beginning of the procedure the shell says not find asus bundle file.

The problem is that root checker test is false (and LBE Privacy guard too) but other app not work because believe the tablet is root...like a middle situation. :(

The region is which SKU which in this case you seem to have got right with the WW. (WW,TW,JP, etc)

Make sure you are following the Asus instructions here at this url.

There is no reason for it not to work besides maybe x86 incompatibilities on some applications. If you still are having issues, maybe a full factory reset can help you, which is accessible through the droidboot shell menu. Perhaps you want to also make sure your file was not corrupted during downloading, this is what the file specifications should be -

MD5:
0f3be795be2dbb1c0f4e858e412aa6a7
ME371MG_all_WW_user_V3.2.3-2.raw
Size 684128530

Last edited:

zozzo

Mar 20, 2012

yep!

the md5 match = true
i check the SKU = true
i follow the asus step = true
i try several full factory reset through droidboot = true

x86 incompatible..wait!I can't check this point. But many app (like LBE i suppose) are developed in java..so..why it maybe not compatible?

in the while time..can i switch with "super su" root manager access?How? (i tried but with no success..)
Alternative how can i rollback and flash original firmware?
(because ES file explorer can't use root access too)

DeDua

Jun 15, 2013
So, i tried 3.2.3 WW rooted, but it was kinda strange. Some games and programs didn't want
to launch properly. It was black screen or communicate about backround process not working properly
apps: tower defence, mortplayer audiobooks, but other apps seems to work well.

Does anyone know how to call that 'optimazing' function which starts after update?
And antutu score kinda depends on 'power saving' functions, without it enabled it was higher.

Someone asked about headphones, fonepad can't use mic with them. ;(

Top Liked Posts