[TUT]Complete upgrading guide(root, unroot, flashing ROM & updates)

Search This thread

setnaybalu

Dec 23, 2007
have you installed HTC Sync?

Using Modaco's guide and I am stuck in step 2!

Isn't the Modaco Custom Rom for the Desire the same rom as the one for the N1 port? If that's the case it's not that good because I had a lot of issues with the N1 port 22.1 alpha.

Using Mac OS X

Asian Unlocked Desire
HBOOT 0.80

I am so far stuck in Step 2 after installing Step 1. Tried everything and it still won't work.

# In the terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat', './step1-mac.sh' or './step1-linux.sh' as appropriate.
# When this step has completed, REMOVE THE GOLDCARD and either format it and replace, or replace with a different (non goldcard) microSD.
# Navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move and the power button to select.
# In the terminal window, enter either 'step2-windows.bat', './step2-mac.sh' or './step2-linux.sh' as appropriate.
# When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'. This will take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea. When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE!

After installing step 1, I proceeded to the recovery until the red triangle came out, entered step 2 and the error log shows :

./step2-mac.sh
Desire Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

error: protocol fault (no status)
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

device not found

Tried Unplugging the unit first then plugging it to the mac only when the red triangle shows up to no avail.

Please help!

Read somewhere that its an HTC Sync issue but I am using a mac

you need to wait to see the black screen in desire, ie.,

Select the BOOTLOADER option and wait until the blue text HBOOT changes to HBOOT USB PLUG. Then select the RECOVERY option, wait for the phone to go to a black screen with a phone icon and red exclamation mark.

hope this will help

heckevin

Feb 22, 2006
Kent
Before you start to root your branded(locked) Desire you need to know how to make GoldCard
  1. Format the microSD card to FAT32 format.
  2. Put the microSD card in your device and boot it.
  3. Ensure you have unzipped the SDK, then open a command prompt to the extract location. Change to the 'tools directory.
  4. Enter 'adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid' and press enter. You should get a very long number which looks like this: 532600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402.

Thanks for the guide. I got some questions in the above steps.
2. Do you mean put the card in the phone and boot the phone?
3. You mentioned SDK here but I did not see the link or name of it. Would you please give one? Also, is the card still in the phone or connected to the computer when you open the command prompt? If it is the former, how to open the command prompt on the phone? If it is the latter, are we talking about a Windows OS? Thank you very much.

benko286

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 2, 2008
Croatia, Zagreb
Thanks for the guide. I got some questions in the above steps.
2. Do you mean put the card in the phone and boot the phone?
3. You mentioned SDK here but I did not see the link or name of it. Would you please give one? Also, is the card still in the phone or connected to the computer when you open the command prompt? If it is the former, how to open the command prompt on the phone? If it is the latter, are we talking about a Windows OS? Thank you very much.

2. yes
3. Download this and this, card needs to be in phone, you are opening command prompt in Windows ;)

tattatheng

Jul 5, 2008
Singapore
after root it, every time still need put gold card when need to flash room?

i'm using 1.19.707.7asia rom which is my just buy at sg. i was using 1 week to root it:p because this is my first time usung android phone.
using win7 64bit got some problem to create gold card because of it will make my wireless adapter not working. In the end work in xp.

However, when I try to unroof using asia wwe 1.19.707.7 that room was fail.
which i only can unroot is using 1.21.xxx wwe that 1.

Any idea let me flash back to 1.19.707.7? because I need use the it to keyin chinese word.

sorry for bad english and bad typing bcoz I'm using hd2 to typing.

benko286

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 2, 2008
Croatia, Zagreb
Thank you very much for the quick reply. So the phone is connected to the PC via HTC Sync, isn't it? Or connected as disk drive?
As a disk drive ;)
after root it, every time still need put gold card when need to flash room?

i'm using 1.19.707.7asia rom which is my just buy at sg. i was using 1 week to root it:p because this is my first time usung android phone.
using win7 64bit got some problem to create gold card because of it will make my wireless adapter not working. In the end work in xp.

However, when I try to unroof using asia wwe 1.19.707.7 that room was fail.
which i only can unroot is using 1.21.xxx wwe that 1.

Any idea let me flash back to 1.19.707.7? because I need use the it to keyin chinese word.

sorry for bad english and bad typing bcoz I'm using hd2 to typing.

AFAIK you don't need it:)

Don't know about the other one :(

Maybe not possible for now!

InspectorFrost

Feb 11, 2010
hi
Im not getting past step2 on this guide

Im getting device not found error....see below (NB. i have htc sync installed and working correctly
(might also be worth noting that i noticed this line come up whist doing step 1 "FAILED (remote: 42 custom id check fail)"

(is this the cause of the problem below?)

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... OKAY

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys
and power button to select the RECOVERY option.
C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\HTC STUFF\Unzipped R5\r5-desire-root>step2-windows.bat
Desire Root Step 2

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\HTC STUFF\Unzipped R5\r5-desire-root>

kingofthebraves

Mar 11, 2010
Manila
Dude I just tried using the LINUX method and the exact same error shows up, Device not found. Im using 0.8 and 1.21, will try to see if the gold card method works..

InspectorFrost

Feb 11, 2010
hi
Im not getting past step2 on this guide

Im getting device not found error....see below (NB. i have htc sync installed and working correctly
(might also be worth noting that i noticed this line come up whist doing step 1 "FAILED (remote: 42 custom id check fail)"

(is this the cause of the problem below?)

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... OKAY

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys
and power button to select the RECOVERY option.
C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\HTC STUFF\Unzipped R5\r5-desire-root>step2-windows.bat
Desire Root Step 2

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\HTC STUFF\Unzipped R5\r5-desire-root>

Fixed!....for some reason my laptop (command promp) went a little screwy, just need to reboot !

vegas55

Jul 1, 2008
Hi ( branded )
It does not understand this
I downloaded SDK for windows, I unpacked to folder and what next ??????
# then open a command prompt to the extract location. Change to the 'tools directory.
# Type
Code:

adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid

what means this

kingofthebraves

Mar 11, 2010
Manila
Anyone? I've almost done everything possible except the gold card method. Having trouble installing Android SDK on Windows. Can anyone give me the exact files I need? All I know is Android SDK windows, Eclipse (there are a lot of versions on the site and I am confused) and JDK ? A detailed step by step guide for running the SDK would help a lot to :)

Been trying to root the desire for three days now and it's driving me insane!

Rootedupdate.zip is in my microsd
USB debugging is checked

I dont understand why my Mac and Linux wont recognize my device!

HellSassa69

Mar 4, 2009
just rooted my desire using this guide! Now I am trying to flash a cool rom with app2sd :)

not 100% idiot proof but very good guide ;)

Tenhi

Jun 3, 2010
I'm' wondering will official update from 1.15 to 1.21 also update bootloader to above 0.80 :)? Would I be able to root my desire after official stock update?

Thanks ;)

zheads

May 16, 2010
Trying to get root on my Desire, but stuck on step2. Problem: when phone is in the Bootloader my PC couldnt recognize it and couldnt find driver "Android 1.0"
Please help me find this driver...

missbizzylizzy

Apr 30, 2008
Telford & Wrekin
Sorry if this is cluttering the thread but I really, really wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU!!!!! I am a newbie to Android. This thread is invaluable for someone like me.:) I really do hate asking for help because I prefer to figure out or find the information myself. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!:):):):)

vicster

Nov 18, 2007
Copenhagen
[fixed] waited a couple of minuts between the hboot and the re triangle

hey thanks for the guide.. even so i am having the same trouble as some others at ./step2.sh, i can't find the device.. step 1 locates it just fine... what could be wrong (neglecting to post the error since its been posted 3 times already)

im doing it the "safe and easy way" with TinyCore *NIX

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's a tutorial for the new users facing unanswered (at a first glance) questions while browsing through the tremendous amount of information that can be found.
    There are many tutorials about this, but I will try to make one unique tutorial that will be easy to understand for everyone.

Press a THANKS button if you think that this TUT has helped you ;)

IMPORTANT!
    Before you proceed, you need to understand one thing: although these upgrades work in 99% of the cases, you are doing this at your own risk!
    If you have any problems or question with rooting and flashing ROM's DO NOT open new thread, cause I will delete it, post everything here;)

Before we start, here is little Q&A section, so please READ this before opening new thread!
    How to format and partition SD Card?
    Read this
    Is my desire already rooted?
    - Check if you have superuser app in the app list all rooted phones have it
    If I root a device which is already rooted, can it mess anything up?
    - You can't mess anything up by re-rooting.
    Will my phone get the OTA froyo update from HTC here in the US or do I have to do it manually?
    - No OTA updates when rooted, to get them you will have to go back to stock to get the update(yepp unroot, or wait for devs to release rooted stock version)
    What is S-OFF?
    -HTC implemented security on their newer generation phones. This flag, called @secuflag, controls whether your phone has
    it's NAND or flash unlocked. Most noticeably, S-ON (security on) will read-lock your /system and /recovery partition, to name a few. Also, secuflag controls whether zip files being flashed through recovery or fastboot, are signed by HTC. The now notorious S-OFF (security off) will disable this NAND security. Since we are unable to access the Radio NVRAM itself (where secuflag is stored), we turned our attention to HBOOT.
    Here is How to S-OFF your HTC Desire

If you think I should add more questions and answers, send me a PM;)

The easiest root method of all is(works for any Desire!):
    [GUIDE] One Click How to Root the GSM & CDMA Desire with Unrevoked 3.21

If you want to root using old method, and you have Android 2.2 you will need to downgrade your radio first
    [HOWTO] Downgrade Froyo (2.2) to Stock 2.1 (ANY HBOOT | WIN/LINUX/MAC | ROOT)
    or
    [HOW-TO] downgrade HBOOT 0.92 to 0.80 again
    Here is how this thread works:
    • Newbie Friendly How To's w/ Instructional Videos(tnx to dcogen) - post #1
    • Root guide for users who have unbranded(unlocked) Desire - post #2
    • Root guide for users who have branded(locked) Desire and
    • How to make GOLDCARD - post #3
    • Guide how to use fake-flash, unroot, flash ROM and updates - post #4
    • How to remove apps & boot sound, install apps, and many other things - Post #5
      *Unrooting, flashing ROM and updates is same for every device.

There are several methods of rooting device and one of the safest is using Tiny Core Linux(Live CD), since I had several problems using Windows(64-bit) I recommend this option, but if you are using 32-bit OS you should be fine rooting in Windows.

If you have any comments, ideas or requests to improve this thread, post them here ;)
    If you find any step that is wrong, or should be improved reoprt it here :)

Let's start flashing:)

Newbie Friendly How To's w/ Instructional Videos

Credits
    Paul - Rooting method, rooting tool, rooting software, etc
    Android dev team - adb, android, etc
    craigcrawford1988 - for Tiny Core Linux tut and links
    MasDroid - for some tutorials
    42turkeys - unroot guide
    eViL D: - general help
    VeeDubZ - how to remove apps
    dcogen - Newbie Friendly How To's
    whole XDA community
    Root guide for users who have unbranded(unlocked) Desire

Guide to root with Tiny Core Linux
    IMPORTANT - this tutorial will not work if you have installed 2.2 OTA update from HTC!
    1. Download Tiny Core Linux Live CD
      ---- For a bootloader of 0.75.* or lower AND a current ROM of 1.15.* or lower Download
      ---- For a bootloader of 0.80.* or lower AND a current ROM of 1.21.* or lower Download
    2. Burn the downloaded iso on CD/DVD
    3. Boot your computer from that CD/DVD, once you booted it will ask you to press Enter or F2/F3 keys, you need to press Enter
    4. Start the HTC Desire in bootloader by holding back and turning it on by the power button
    5. Connect the USB cable to the phone and PC
    6. Open a terminal by clicking the icon that looks like a monitor at the bottom on Tiny Core Linux and type the following commands:
      Code:
      sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom
      sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
      cd /mnt/cdrom/desire
      sudo ./step1.sh
    7. Wait until the phone restarts back into the white bootloader screen
    8. In terminal type the following command:
      Code:
      sudo ./step2.sh
    9. Once the phone has finished, you will see a screen with a green text. Use the optical tracker to navigate the menu to select Wipe and then press Wipe data/factory reset
    10. Once complete you should be back in the main menu. Now select the option Flash zip from sdcard and than choose rootedupdate.zip
    11. Once back in the main menu, choose restart the phone - the rooting process is now finished:)

Guide to root using Windows, MAC OS X and Linux
    1. !Some people reported that this method needs to have GoldCard(in most cases you won't need it) even if you have unbranded device, more here
    2. You need to have Android SDK and HTC Sync installed(for Windows users)
    3. Download following items:
      ---- If you have a bootloader version 0.75.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.15.xxx.x or below - DOWNLOAD / MIRROR
      ---- If you have a bootloader version 0.80.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.21.xxx.x or below - DOWNLOAD / MIRROR
    4. Unzip the file you downloaded to a directory, then open a command prompt / terminal window at that directory.
    5. Turn off your HTC Desire, then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box. Connect the phone to the computer.
    6. In the command prompt/terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat'(for windows), './step1-mac.sh'(for mac) or './step1-linux.sh'(for linux)
    7. Navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move and the power button to select.
    8. In the command prompt/terminal window, enter either 'step2-windows.bat', './step2-mac.sh' or './step2-linux.sh' as appropriate.
    9. When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery'("green") screen. Select Wipe and then press Wipe data/factory reset
    10. Once complete you should be back in the main menu. Now select the option Flash zip from sdcard and than choose rootedupdate.zip
    11. Once back in the main menu, choose restart the phone - the rooting process is now finished
    Root guide for users who have branded(locked) Desire

Before you start to root your branded(locked) Desire you need to know:
    How to make GoldCard

GoldCard Tool v0.0.5
    Requirements:
    • Latest HTC Sync software installed (www.htc.com)
    • Spare microSD card
    • Windows PC (Tested on Windows7 x64,Vista x86)
    • .Net Framework 2.0
    Step by step instructions:
    • Format the microSD card to FAT32 format.
    • Put the microSD card in your device and boot it.
    • Launch GoldCard Tool (Right Click and run as Admin if needed)
    • Connect Android device to USB (USB Debugging must be enabled on the device)
    • Click 'Get CID' (If MMC1 fails try MMC0)
    • Click the link to open revskills.de, enter the CID number from Goldcard Tool and create your goldcard image, which will be e-mailed to you.
    • Enable USB Mass Storage on the device.
    • Click 'Refresh' and select your microSD card in the drop down menu.
    • Click 'Load GoldCard.img' and open the .img file you got by email.
    • Click 'Patch MMC'
    You now have a goldcard!

[Notes]
    HTC Sync is required for drivers only
    Android SDK is not required

Guide to root with Tiny Core Linux
    IMPORTANT - this tutorial will not work if you have installed 2.2 OTA update from HTC!
    1. Download Tiny Core Linux Live CD
      ---- For a bootloader of 0.75.* or lower AND a current ROM of 1.15.* or lower Download
      ---- For a bootloader of 0.80.* or lower AND a current ROM of 1.21.* or lower Download
    2. Burn the downloaded iso on CD/DVD
    3. Boot your computer from that CD/DVD, once you booted it will ask you to press Enter or F2/F3 keys, you need to press Enter
    4. Insert the goldcard into the phone.
    5. Start the HTC Desire in bootloader by holding back and turning it on by the power button
    6. Connect the USB cable to the phone and PC
    7. Open a terminal by clicking the icon that looks like a monitor at the bottom on Tiny Core Linux and type the following commands:
      Code:
      sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom
      sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
      cd /mnt/cdrom/desire
      sudo ./step1.sh
    8. Wait until the phone restarts back into the white bootloader screen
    9. Turn the phone off via the bootloader menu (or pull the battery and USB cable) and remove the goldcard. Put a non-goldcard SD into the phone or reformat the goldcard and put it into the phone. Put the phone back into bootloader mode (Press Power button and Back button).
    10. In terminal type the following command:
      Code:
      sudo ./step2.sh
    11. Once the phone has finished, you will see a screen with a green text. Use the optical tracker to navigate the menu to select Wipe and then press Wipe data/factory reset
    12. Once complete you should be back in the main menu. Now select the option Flash zip from sdcard and than choose rootedupdate.zip
    13. Once back in the main menu, choose restart the phone - the rooting process is now finished:)

Guide to root using Windows, MAC OS X and Linux
    1. Download following items:
      ---- If you have a bootloader version 0.75.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.15.xxx.x or below - DOWNLOAD / MIRROR
      ---- If you have a bootloader version 0.80.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.21.xxx.x or below - DOWNLOAD / MIRROR
    2. Unzip the file you downloaded to a directory, then open a command prompt / terminal window at that directory.
    3. Turn off your HTC Desire, put GoldCard and then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box. Connect the phone to the computer.
    4. In the command prompt/terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat'(for windows), './step1-mac.sh'(for mac) or './step1-linux.sh'(for linux)
    5. Turn the phone off via the bootloader menu (or pull the battery and USB cable) and remove the goldcard. Put a non-goldcard SD into the phone or reformat the goldcard and put it into the phone. Put the phone back into bootloader mode (Press Power button and Back button)
    6. Navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move and the power button to select.
    7. In the command prompt/terminal window, enter either 'step2-windows.bat', './step2-mac.sh' or './step2-linux.sh' as appropriate.
    8. When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery'("green") screen. Select Wipe and then press Wipe data/factory reset
    9. Once complete you should be back in the main menu. Now select the option Flash zip from sdcard and than choose rootedupdate.zip
    10. Once back in the main menu, choose restart the phone - the rooting process is now finished
    Guide how to unroot, flash ROM and updates

fake-flash
    Fake-flash is only possible with root access, you need to be rooted to use it. Basically, its a way to have recovery running on the phone without using a PC (making it safer as you are less likely to brick using no USB cable to push files, instead, you push directly from your phone). You can use "ROM Manager" from the marketplace to do this. Simply place the downloaded test recovery image on the phone and the downloaded rom zip (renamed to update.zip) and flash using ROM Manager.
    Preperation
    • Download the fake-flash update zip from one of the links below
    • Copy the update.zip to the root of your SD card (the name MUST remain as update.zip)
    When you want to launch the recovery image
    • Turn on your device with 'volume down' pressed and select 'Recovery'
    • When the exclamation mark appears, press and hold 'volume up' then press 'power'
    • Select the second option, 'Apply sdcard:update.zip
    • That's it, ClockworkMod recovery should launch! :)
    DOWNLOAD

How to flash ROM
    1. Download this
    2. Turn off Desire and then turn it on while holding back button to enter bootloader(white screen)
    3. Once in "white screen" press power button again to enter bootloader
    4. Connect Desire with PC
    5. Press Volume Down and than Power to enter Recovery
    6. Now the red triangle should show up, go to folder you downloaded file and press recovery-windows.bat, recovery-mac.sh or recovery-linux.sh depending on which OS you have
    7. Now you are in recovery mode (green screen), press Wipe and than Wipe data/clear storage, than press optical tracker to confirm it
    8. After that press Volume Down to go back to main menu in recovery
    9. Navigate to Flash zip from sdcard using optical tracker, select .zip confirm it and wait until process finish, after that press Reboot system and unplug you Desire
    10. Enjoy your new ROM ;)

How to change boot animation
    1. Download this
    2. Copy bootanimation.zip to SD Card
    3. Turn off Desire and then turn it on while holding back button to enter bootloader(white screen)
    4. Once in "white screen" press power button again to enter bootloader
    5. Connect Desire with PC
    6. Press Volume Down and than Power to enter Recovery
    7. Now the red triangle should show up, go to folder you downloaded file and press recovery-windows.bat, recovery-mac.sh or recovery-linux.sh depending on which OS you have
    8. Navigate to Flash zip from sdcard using optical tracker, select .zip confirm it and wait until process finish, after that press Reboot system and unplug you Desire
    9. Unplug your HTC and enjoy your new boot animation
    Alternative method to install a custom boot animation (without Recovery Mode - by MasDroid)
    1. You need to have HTC Sync and Android SDK installed (http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html).
    2. To get adb running on the Windows OS platform, for example, download & extract the Android SDK to the following path: %SystemDrive%\android-sdk-windows (e.g. C:\android-sdk-windows)
    3. Turn on your phone and connect it to your PC via a USB port.
    4. Place the downloaded bootanimation.zip into the same folder as the adb app (in the tools folder of the SDK).
    5. Open command prompt and type cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools, hit enter.
    6. Type adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local, hit enter.
    7. Reboot phone.

How to Unroot your HTC Desire to stock

If you Have A 0.75 Bootloader:
    Generic RUU Download / Mirror #1
    T-Mobile UK RUU Download
    o2 UK RUU Download
    3 UK RUU Download

If You Have A 0.80 Bootloader: Download

Other RUUs Avalible Here

You will need:
    1. HTC Sync (For Drivers)
    2. The Download Above
    3. A Windows PC
    4. A Goldcard (Not required for generic HTC Desires)
    The Guide:
    1. Make sure your goldcard is in your phone (If Required-if your phone is branded)
    2. Turn your Desire on
    3. Connect it to a Windows PC
    4. Run the HTC RUU
    5. Let it run
    6. & YOUR DONE! ;)
    You can use it to return your phone for warranty purposes!
    How to remove apps from ROM
    You need to have root for this and Android SDK installed!
    Link to detailed tutorial

Im using Paul's R4 rooting files at the location C:/users/veedubz/r4-desire-root in Windows 7 so point your Command prompt there first and im also assuming that you have a rooted Desire and can get into recovery mode
    1. First get into recovery mode with the Green menu then close that command prompt and open a new one and cd to /r4-desire-root folder

2. You now need to mount the /system folder using the code below

Code:
    adb-windows shell mount /system

3. Now you will need to get the list of installed apk files
    Code:
    adb-windows shell ls /system/app/

and the output should look like this:

Code:
    AccountAndSyncSettings.apk		 HtcWeatherWallpaper.apk
    ApplicationsProvider.apk		   Jbed.apk
    Bluetooth.apk					  LiveWallpapers.apk
    .....                                                     ......
    HtcStreamPlayer.apk				htcsettingwidgets.apk
    HtcSyncwidget.apk				  restartapp.apk
    HtcTwitter.apk					 teeter.apk

4. there are 2 methods of removal, they are
    1. 4a. Just delete the files
    2. 4b. Move to the sdcard
    Use one of the following methods
    4a. Now you have a list of the files you can chose the ones you want to remove , note that this part is case sensitive so com.htc.twitterwidget.apk is not the same as com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk, use the following code(example used is the Stocks app and widget):

Code:
    adb-windows shell rm /system/app/Stock.apk
    adb-windows shell rm /system/app/com.htc.StockWidget.apk
    4b. Also case sensitive, to move the files to your sdcard(which aso removes from the device):
    Code:
    adb-windows shell mount /sdcard
    adb-windows shell mkdir /sdcard/device_files
    adb-windows mv /system/app/Stock.apk /sdcard/device-files
    adb-windows mv /system/app/com.htc.StockWidget.apk /sdcard/device-files

The files will be moved to the new folder on your sdcard called /device-files, once there you can also backup to your pc for a bit of extra backup
    5. Repeat Step 4. untill all the apk files that you want to remove are gone and to check that they are gone use

Code:
    adb-windows shell ls /system/app/
    Restoring your backed up files

Use the following code,

Code:
    adb-windows shell mount /sdcard
    adb-windows shell mv /sdcard/device-filesStock.apk /system/app/
    adb-windows shell mv /sdcard/device-files/com.htc.StockWidget.apk /system/app/

How to remove apps from ROM
    Read here