PPP Widget - easy use of external phone or 3G modem

Search This thread

JFDee

Sep 3, 2010
although not developed form my tab, i tried and it appears to not install corretly on the acer a510(rooted). no pppwidget dir is create nor can i find the files under their standard directories, ie usb mode switch. as a result just get an error from pppwidget when i plug in a wireless stick. (sierra wireless 306 and sierra wireless 598usb).
The pppwidget folder on /sdcard as well as the unpacking of the binaries should happen on the first call of the widget (actually placing it on the "desktop"), right after the root check. Did you do that successfully?

The binaries are not in their "standard directories". The widget does not intrude any system folders - one of my goals is to leave the system alone apart from using the "su" tool. There is only the app tree in /data/data and the folder in /sdcard.

Rusty_Gunn

Jun 30, 2012
The pppwidget folder on /sdcard as well as the unpacking of the binaries should happen on the first call of the widget (actually placing it on the "desktop"), right after the root check. Did you do that successfully?

The binaries are not in their "standard directories". The widget does not intrude any system folders - one of my goals is to leave the system alone apart from using the "su" tool. There is only the app tree in /data/data and the folder in /sdcard.

thanks for the reply! i installed the apk, and ive tried both 0.95 and 0.96. i plug in my wireless stick, it asks if i would like to open it with pppwidget, i hit ok, then it gives and error and exits. su never pops up for permission, and the pppwidget dir is never created.

nice work on not intruding on the system dirs.

JFDee

Sep 3, 2010
i plug in my wireless stick, it asks if i would like to open it with pppwidget, i hit ok, then it gives and error and exits. su never pops up for permission, and the pppwidget dir is never created.
I'm still wondering: do you have the widget open on your screen? Don't plug in before you see its message "No modem".

I probably have to amend the documentation.

superhotluv

Sep 27, 2010
for the developer I am reporting a bug that has to do with a constant message that appears each time I insert the usb dongle saying "the application has stopped" and does not allow me to connect the device. The application has crashed several times. When I reboot the system starts working again just for a while. I am using 0.96 latest version. god bless you

Sent from my A500 using xda app-developers app

This is probably because you must be already having another driver installed , like some of the custom ROMs provide RIL based drivers for Huawei 3g modems.

Kratoschile

Aug 17, 2011
San Antonio
It works!!!!

I'm using the stock ics and a Huawei E176 modem

Thanks you for your excellent work :D

Enviado desde mi A500 usando Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1343895405430.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343895405430.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 270
  • uploadfromtaptalk1343895418923.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343895418923.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 343
Reactions: medynets

Rusty_Gunn

Jun 30, 2012
I'm still wondering: do you have the widget open on your screen? Don't plug in before you see its message "No modem".

I probably have to amend the documentation.

that fixed it, thanks. i didnt realize i had to add the wiget to my home screen.

i tried two modems, one worked perfectly, the second the wiget just said 'search or modem...' no matterhow long i waited. i assume that means the modem is unsupported?

landscapelinux

Jan 27, 2012
Naples
It works!!!

My experience is as follows:

I first installed the apk.
After that I had to rebbot the Iconia, because I couldn't find the widget.
After the rebbot, it was in the widget section. I moved on the desktop, and it asked me for SU permissions.
I changed the parameters, basically only the APN internet.wind (I'm in Italy,) and put a username and a password.

I connected my USB dongle which is a ONDA MT503HSA, pushed connect, and it worked. I can only use it with stock browser, and sometimes I have to reload some pages, but it basically works fine for me.

I'm on civato's Re-Flexx Rev_4

Thanks...

JFDee

Sep 3, 2010
To all users who are wondering about some programs not working:
  • Every app that relies on the Android OS' online state information before connecting will think the device is offline.
  • Every app that just goes ahead and tries to access the network will happily work.
I spent the better part of the week's evenings exploring the Android source code to figure out a way to make the OS change its network awareness. So far, there seems to be no way in the Iconia stock ROM.

This is a well known problem. If there will not be a change in coming versions of Android, then we know that this restriction is intended.

JFDee

Sep 3, 2010
To stay on the positive side of things, here are some of my apps that work flawlessly:
  • Opera Browser (downloading works well)
  • K-9 Mail
  • Google Earth
  • YouTube
  • probably thousands of others ...

Falcon1

Dec 20, 2011
It does not work

This is probably because you must be already having another driver installed , like some of the custom ROMs provide RIL based drivers for Huawei 3g modems.

No, I am also on civato's Re-Flexx Rev_4 and I do not have any Ril-daemon software installed previously and furthermore I have tried with 2 custom roms and the same thing happens with both. A window appears saying "The aplication has stopped" and does not work anymore.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

How does TTY_PPP work. Could you please make a very little manual ! !!! thanks

nifterific

Jan 1, 2012
In the first post when it says you can connect via phone, thats USB tethering right? Because I installed the app, gave it SU permissions, dropped it on my home screen, and it constantly tells me its not connected even when I plug my phone into the USB slot and enable USB tethering. It finds nothing.

JFDee

Sep 3, 2010
In the first post when it says you can connect via phone, thats USB tethering right?
No, not exactly.

Android's USB tethering is intended to pass its own active Internet connection (WiFi or Mobile) on to a connected PC/laptop computer.
AFAIK, this is using a USB network protocol.

PPP Widget expects a phone or a stick with a modem interface that it can send "AT"commands to.
So you have to set up your phone to provide a modem mode. Don't enable "Tethering" on your tablet.

nifterific

Jan 1, 2012
No, not exactly.

Android's USB tethering is intended to pass its own active Internet connection (WiFi or Mobile) on to a connected PC/laptop computer.
AFAIK, this is using a USB network protocol.

PPP Widget expects a phone or a stick with a modem interface that it can send "AT"commands to.
So you have to set up your phone to provide a modem mode. Don't enable "Tethering" on your tablet.

I wasn't enabling tethering on my tablet, I enabled it on my phone to see if it would pass the connection through USB to the tablet like it does my PC. My carrier doesn't block USB or wifi tethering, so if it was going to work, it should have. Oh well, wifi tethering works, I was more testing this out of curiosity.

If anyone was curious, I'm running Tegraowners v170.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 2015-04-13: PPP Widget 2 now includes support for Android 5.0.x (5.1 not tested)

==================================================================

Update: try PPP Widget 2 (Google Play) if you have driver issues.

==================================================================

I would like to announce a widget that I catered for and tested on the A500. (It should run on other tablets as well, of course.)

It includes everything to connect via phone or 3G modem plugged to the USB host port (usb_modeswitch, pppd and chat).

Edit: New version 0.97 with experimental full network access available.

Edit: New version 0.98 available.

Changes include:
    • full network access may work on 2.x devices now too
    • latest usb_modeswitch program and data package included, providing
      several new modem configurations
    • custom config files may be added in "/sdcard/pppwidget/cfg"
    • improved robustness

Edit: New version 0.99 available.

Changes include:
    • full network access should work properly on 4.1 devices now
    • improved robustness on several custom ROMs

Edit: Version 1.00 is now available at Google Play.

Changes include:
    • No more fixed path to SD card folder
    • Username and password are no longer mandatory
    • Translations to German, Portuguese, Dutch and Vietnamese
    Additional translations are welcome.

This app will stay cost- and ad-free. As long as I live..
    the only issue is when downloading the app I have the same 0.96 version. See the link for details::confused:
    http://www.draisberghof.de/android/pppwidget.html
    My bad, the file is there but I did not update the link.

Corrected now.

How can i create or restore sdcard folder in top directory?
    The new version does not rely on the fixed path anymore.

I have just released version 1.00 to Google Play. :cool:
    There is a new version online (see top post).

It allows to add custom/modified config files; just put them into /sdcard/pppwidget/cfg and they take precedence of the internal config files.

You can use the config files from the latest usb_modeswitch data package and try your modifications. There is only one little thing which has to be done for the files you use: edit the file name and replace all colons ":" with dots ".". So 19d2:2000 becomes 19d2.2000.

Laz35, sphynxoid, meduza2 et al.,

I wonder if you could test version 0.99 (see top post). It includes the last version of the "bc" helper tool that you have tested, plus a fix for the BOOTCLASSPATH problem which may have caused crashes as well.

All in all, the main issue this time was to improve stability on Jelly Bean and custom ROMs.