Install debian and use lxde or Icewm.. supports others

Search This thread

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010
To use icewm.. more simple looking desktop. Runs smoother

change this file by doing this on the phone..

First you need icewm

apt-get install icewm

Then to switch between ice and ldxe do this in terminal on your phone. This is actually easy do to using the trackball

localhost:/# nano /root/.vnc/xstartup

Scroll down to lxsession and delete it.. then type xterm
Save changes by pressing track ball once and the letter o.. Then press enter and then press the track ball once again and type the letter x.

Then connect using VNC.apk and it will load the new desktop.
Delete xterm and type lxsession to change back.

noidea`

Mar 6, 2010
I have tried to install following instructions using terminal on he phone......seems like I get through the install.sh ok then after reboot try to run the bootdeb and it says not found.? also I get the vnc fails when trying to connect?

I am sure i am doing something wrong but not sure what.

any suggestions?:D

I forgot to say THANKS Jus!

``su''
``sh bootdeb'' ?

feefeeboomboom

Jan 17, 2010
Fargo
ok i tryed installing this with no ext and it didnt work.

im trying it now with an ext4 no app2sd on DC2.0.8.1.

what is the ext for regarding actuly running debian?

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010
ok i tryed installing this with no ext and it didnt work.

im trying it now with an ext4 no app2sd on DC2.0.8.1.

what is the ext for regarding actuly running debian?

Its only used to run debian.. I read up on it. I cant remember what the ext is actually there for. Just know its needed.

And if you disable apps2sd then make sure you clear ext partition.

noidea`

Mar 6, 2010
Its only used to run debian.. I read up on it. I cant remember what the ext is actually there for. Just know its needed.

And if you disable apps2sd then make sure you clear ext partition.

I'm actually not using an ext partition and its working. I'm having a problem now though, and new that I've read this, I'm thinking that might be the reason.
I'll open a program (in lxde).. say ice browser or w/e. When I'm done, I'll close it then try and start another program. The cpu will spike for a sec, then go back down and the program doesnt open. I'm thinking that the ext partition is extra memory for this.

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010
I'm actually not using an ext partition and its working. I'm having a problem now though, and new that I've read this, I'm thinking that might be the reason.
I'll open a program (in lxde).. say ice browser or w/e. When I'm done, I'll close it then try and start another program. The cpu will spike for a sec, then go back down and the program doesnt open. I'm thinking that the ext partition is extra memory for this.

Also make sure your memory setting are set low.. I run AutoKiller and usually have mine set around the middle.. When I run debian I set it really low.

bikcmp

Dec 8, 2009
Does not appear to work with Pancake 2.1. I tried it with apps2sd off, trying it with ext4 now, wish me luck! I've gotten error messages like these:

sqlite_stmt_journals

a888a
d888888b
8P YP Y88
8|o||o|88
8. .88
8 ._. Y8.
d/ 8b.
.dP . Y8b.
d8: ::88b.
d8 Y88b
:8P :888
8a. : _a88P
._/ Yaa_ : .| 88P|
\ YP | 8P \.

a888a
d888888b
8P YP Y88
8|o||o|88
8. .88
8 ._. Y8.
d/ 8b.
.dP . Y8b.
d8: ::88b.
d8 Y88b
:8P :888
8a. : _a88P
._/ Yaa_ : .| 88P|
\ YP | 8P \.
/ \._____.d| .|
--..__)888888P ._.|

Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory
mount: No such file or directory
Type EXIT to end session
Make sure you do a proper EXIT for a clean kill of Debian!

chroot: can't execute '/bin/bash': No such file or directory

Shutting down Debian........

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010
Try this.

adb shell
mkdir /data/local/mnt
cd /sdcard/debian/
sh installer.sh
sh bootdeb

bikcmp

Dec 8, 2009
After some testing, I found out it doesn't work on HTC branded builds. (AKA, use AOSP. I'm using darchdroid, works great)

It's actually running decent too, hehe, try it!

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010
After some testing, I found out it doesn't work on HTC branded builds. (AKA, use AOSP. I'm using darchdroid, works great)

It's actually running decent too, hehe, try it!

Awesome.. I never tried any other rom.

I just added it in the main post to use darchdroid and its the only rom confirmed working on.

Thanks for sharing.

fKngFtd

Mar 10, 2010
Fresno
I'm a HTC Droid Eris owner, and I'm trying to see if this will work. I have received the error the error when trying to execute bootdeb. I'm still in the process of finding out why. I'll post back and hope that I can write up a tut on the Eris Dev with links to this thread. Thank you.

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010
I'm a HTC Droid Eris owner, and I'm trying to see if this will work. I have received the error the error when trying to execute bootdeb. I'm still in the process of finding out why. I'll post back and hope that I can write up a tut on the Eris Dev with links to this thread. Thank you.

The only rom we could get it to work with was darchdroid, aosp rom based on cyanogen mod.. And i havent used this in along time, i kinda forget what to even do. But let me know and ill try to help. I gotta read first post again lol

xparadigm

Mar 3, 2010
Awesome.. I never tried any other rom.

I just added it in the main post to use darchdroid and its the only rom confirmed working on.

Thanks for sharing.

Confirmed working on Gumbo 1.5c [BARE] with O/C Kernel (non BFS).

However, i cant get the iceweasel to launch :-X

[edit]

Scratch that, i can launch iceweasel, but its the same problem another user previously reported. Evidently i can only launch one program per instance of debian

Last edited:

fKngFtd

Mar 10, 2010
Fresno
The only rom we could get it to work with was darchdroid, aosp rom based on cyanogen mod.. And i havent used this in along time, i kinda forget what to even do. But let me know and ill try to help. I gotta read first post again lol

If you can gv. I'll pm you. I'm running CELB at the moment its a froyo build with cm.

Sent from my FroyoEris using XDA App

xparadigm

Mar 3, 2010
Using Gumbo 1.5c, i had to turn down the automemkiller, to the 'stock' settings.

I am curious though, is it possible to have a GUI version of lenny, and throw it into the mix of a dual boot phone.

In essence, take this concept, and this concept, and merge them together into one.

I'd like to be able to choose to use my phone as a lenny boot, or as a android boot, but not as both at the same time. Splitting the resources in two, while running both just doesnt stabilize that well.

danaff37

Mar 14, 2010
Nashville, TN
Ok guys, hate to drag up an old topic, but been messing around getting this to work on cm6, and thanks to a heads up from firerat, got it going finally. lol It's awesome! not the most responsive thing to use, but the cool factor is way up there, and it's just fun to mess around with.

captainblue

May 10, 2010
Vnc wont connect

I installed everything fine but won't let me connect to vnc. When I start bootdeb it says this.

xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "localhost:1" in "add" command

New 'X' desktop is localhost:1

Can anyone help?

danaff37

Mar 14, 2010
Nashville, TN
Mine says that every time but still works. Do you get the local host prompt? You run the onetime script in debian? Trying lxde or icewm? I ail can only get lxde to work, but it does fine. Cannot get icewm to boot with edits suggested here or elsewhere.

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App