Mobile Network Standby draining battey on Oreo 8.1 ROMs

Search This thread

Fahim Ferdoush

Jan 16, 2018
Xiaomi Poco X2
Google Pixel 6
So, I was on latest MIUI China beta before. Somedays ago, I flashed the Resurrection Remix 6.0.0 (06.03.2018 build). Battery was draining fast. I checked battery usage and there was this ”Mobile Network Standby” which was draining the battery. It even consumed more power than Screen and Android System. I thought it was some bug on RR. So, I flashed Lineage OS 15.1 (05.03.2018 build). Everything was fine here too. Except that ”Mobile Network Standby” thing. It was draining battery on this ROM too. I tried L OS 15.1 12.03.2018 build and RR 6.0.0 10.03.2018 build. That bug still present in these ROMs too.

I tried possibly everything to fix that issue. I've tried following -

1. Network Setting Reset
2. Turn off Data always on in Developer Settings
3. Turn off VoLTE (I don't even use LTE here)
4. Clean cache via TWRP
5. Turn off WiFi scanning during sleep
6. Turn of Location Services
7. Turn off Google play Services wakelock and background running via Privacy Guard
8. Finally, I clean flashed both ROMs

But, Nothing has fixed the issue.

on Nougat 7.1.2 ROMs everything is absolutely fine. There's no draining issue
PS - I used stock kernel with CN Firmware 8.3.1 and 8.3.8

Is there any possible fix for this issue? Anyone else having this issue? Any updates on fixing this issue in future?

Sorry for my English btw

Update: Using the ForceDoze (root method) app reduced the battery drain. But, it didn't really solve the problem

Last edited:

8166uy

Feb 14, 2015
Try the app "ForceDoze", helps with almost any battery drain. Does require root though. Another explanation could be that your reception is bad for whatever reason, so also check that. Also flashing a newer GApps might help.

Reactions: Fahim Ferdoush

Fahim Ferdoush

Jan 16, 2018
Xiaomi Poco X2
Google Pixel 6
Try the app "ForceDoze", helps with almost any battery drain. Does require root though. Another explanation could be that your reception is bad for whatever reason, so also check that. Also flashing a newer GApps might help.
Tried. Even tried Greenify force doze by rooting. No improvement.

And cellular reception is pretty fine here. I don't have this issue on nougat ROMs

Lesiuk

Jul 23, 2012
I have same problem with clean lineagos 15.1. Probably everone on lineageos have the same problem. Thank you for listing what do not help. I do not have to try myself.

8166uy

Feb 14, 2015
Stock kernel, firmware 8.3.1, OpenGApps of 11th of March, LOS 15.1 version of 5th of march, and dirty flashed all in-between version since the switch to the "official" status.

bite_your_idols

Feb 10, 2017
I tried using sim slot 2, a sim duplicate, also I have migrate my network carrier... still the same...
Since I read it also happens in miui roms and it could be firm related issue I flashed oldest firm required by LOS15.1, that as luk said is 8.1.4, and after switching off WIFI it still drains my battery...

I don't know why this happens, and I don't know why it is happening just to a few of us but is totally annoying...

Fahim Ferdoush

Jan 16, 2018
Xiaomi Poco X2
Google Pixel 6
I tried using sim slot 2, a sim duplicate, also I have migrate my network carrier... still the same...
Since I read it also happens in miui roms and it could be firm related issue I flashed oldest firm required by LOS15.1, that as luk said is 8.1.4, and after switching off WIFI it still drains my battery...

I don't know why this happens, and I don't know why it is happening just to a few of us but is totally annoying...
Root and Use ForceDoze app
It reduced the drain noticeably. But, this drain still persists

Kiasyd

Jul 30, 2011
This problem occurs due to incorrect work with VoLTE, including after various ways to disable it (in the settings, through Build.prop, etc.) and is relevant only for some cellular operators.

gfm1948

Jun 29, 2018
Fix for battery drain Oreo 8

Work around, issue is with 4G preferred network type under mobile network settings, just change to 3G and
all will be fine. Guess I'll be waiting for the good people of Android to send out fix one of these years?

Fahim Ferdoush

Jan 16, 2018
Xiaomi Poco X2
Google Pixel 6
Work around, issue is with 4G preferred network type under mobile network settings, just change to 3G and
all will be fine. Guess I'll be waiting for the good people of Android to send out fix one of these years?
all won't be fine. I've tried that. though, draining reduces on 3G network. but, mobile network standby still drains battery. no fix so far. not even a clue, what's causing this drain

8166uy

Feb 14, 2015
I only get a noticeable drain on the train, so I guess it has something to do with connecting to, or scanning for, network masts.

MarvinMod

May 20, 2015
Samsung Galaxy A70
im having the same issue but I have full signal lte. mobile standby is at 34% last I checked. clean install, gapps nano and magisk 16.4
volte disabled. klte galaxy s5 g900t.

Last edited:

MarvinMod

May 20, 2015
Samsung Galaxy A70
I think i know whats happening. When i first installed los 15.1 on my s5 it showed 2 sims when i only have 1 sim port. A reboot seemed to fix the issue and now shows 1 sim. However, i also noticed that without signal, mobile network standby is at 72% draining battery. At this point im thinking the phone is searching for network. What if that even though there is full siignal on lte, the phone is continually searching and scanning even though its connected to cellular network?? Thus giving us this massive battery drain.

gfm1948

Jun 29, 2018
I have an Umidigi A1 PRO and had a similar issue, Mobile Network Manager battery drain. I contacted Umidigi and they replied to me:
"Ok, please go to 'Settings --> Security location --> Location (under Privacy) --> Scanning' and disable both Wi-Fi- and bluetooth scanning. That scanning function uses both bluetooth and WiFi (in any phone) even if they are turned off."
This reduced battery drain considerably and now overnight, with wifi switched off, battery usage is between 2% and 3%. Even in day with wifi switched on drain is what I would expect of any mobile. There must be a reason why this option is not placed under 'Network'. I haven't tested out the above (dual sim), but will try adding a second sim and see what happens as the the Mobile Network Manager battery usage is still above normal.
Regards.

Bonhammer

Dec 27, 2016
I have the same Cell Standby issue.

However Wifi & Bluetooth scanning are disabled.

I have also set my preferred network to 3G since I don't have an LTE contract yet.

I'm currently using a Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910F), with the current Resurrection Remix Oreo build (RR-O-v6.1.0-20180712-trlte-Official).

I sure hope somebody figures this out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I was on latest MIUI China beta before. Somedays ago, I flashed the Resurrection Remix 6.0.0 (06.03.2018 build). Battery was draining fast. I checked battery usage and there was this ”Mobile Network Standby” which was draining the battery. It even consumed more power than Screen and Android System. I thought it was some bug on RR. So, I flashed Lineage OS 15.1 (05.03.2018 build). Everything was fine here too. Except that ”Mobile Network Standby” thing. It was draining battery on this ROM too. I tried L OS 15.1 12.03.2018 build and RR 6.0.0 10.03.2018 build. That bug still present in these ROMs too.

I tried possibly everything to fix that issue. I've tried following -

1. Network Setting Reset
    2. Turn off Data always on in Developer Settings
    3. Turn off VoLTE (I don't even use LTE here)
    4. Clean cache via TWRP
    5. Turn off WiFi scanning during sleep
    6. Turn of Location Services
    7. Turn off Google play Services wakelock and background running via Privacy Guard
    8. Finally, I clean flashed both ROMs

But, Nothing has fixed the issue.

on Nougat 7.1.2 ROMs everything is absolutely fine. There's no draining issue
    PS - I used stock kernel with CN Firmware 8.3.1 and 8.3.8

Is there any possible fix for this issue? Anyone else having this issue? Any updates on fixing this issue in future?

Sorry for my English btw

Update: Using the ForceDoze (root method) app reduced the battery drain. But, it didn't really solve the problem
    I have an Umidigi A1 PRO and had a similar issue, Mobile Network Manager battery drain. I contacted Umidigi and they replied to me:
    "Ok, please go to 'Settings --> Security location --> Location (under Privacy) --> Scanning' and disable both Wi-Fi- and bluetooth scanning. That scanning function uses both bluetooth and WiFi (in any phone) even if they are turned off."
    This reduced battery drain considerably and now overnight, with wifi switched off, battery usage is between 2% and 3%. Even in day with wifi switched on drain is what I would expect of any mobile. There must be a reason why this option is not placed under 'Network'. I haven't tested out the above (dual sim), but will try adding a second sim and see what happens as the the Mobile Network Manager battery usage is still above normal.
    Regards.
    Hi @06_taro,

Are you sure that this is Oreo based MIUI, not Nougat? 8.10.11 was released MIUI 10 global beta still based on Nougat, and there is no any information about upcoming Oreo.

h t t p : / / en.miui.com/thread-4178144-1-1.html

This is the insider alpha test version for China which is not supposed to be published on Xiaomi's website, not the public beta version. Only eligible testers have access to it. However, someone shared the link of the ROM so you can download from official MIUI website here, and flash it with any custom recovery like TWRP.

Xiaomi has also released the 8.10.11 alpha version for China, but I have no link to it.

I personally did not flash the 8.10.10 ROM, but all people flashed it confirmed that the ROM is Orea based. It can also be confirmed from the file name in the link, which is suffixed with "8.0". I simply repacked the firmware files in ./firmware-update folder.

BTW, xiaomi.eu has released Orea based 8.10.11 ROM for Mi5s. I'll try the firmware there to see if any problem solved.
    My 5s also suffers from the battery drain caused by mobile network standby. Today Xiaomi rolled out Orea based MIUI for insider testers. I extracted the firmware from it. Try and see if it helps. I just flashed it, and will report the results later.

fw_capricorn_miui_MI5S_8.10.10_476b2341f6_8.0.zip