[MOD] avlock[11], a real, system-level lock screen replacement (fixed 04/22/2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

_avatar

Aug 19, 2009
avlock[10] is a (the first?) real, *system-level* lock screen replacement for Android (CM 5.0.6).

it replaces the standard "connect the dots" behavior with pin-like mechanism. patterns can be arbitrarily large, and nodes can be repeated. also, there are no numbers -- just circles. definitely not for everyone, but i think some people may like it.

here's how it works:

http://files.clangen.org/avlock/avlock.m4v

if you want to try it you must have CM 5.0.6 installed, then:

1. reboot to bootloader
2. nandroid backup <-- do it. seriously. just in case.
3. flash avlock[x].zip
4. reboot
5. if you don't have a lock pattern already, set one: Home > Menu > Settings > Location and Security > Set Unlock Pattern

faq:

q: what happens if something goes really wrong and i can't log in?
a: i've been tweaking this mod for a long time and you shouldn't have any problems. BUT IF YOU DO:

* restore from nandroid backup made in step 2 above

OR

* if you know how to use adb, just delete the file pattern file and reboot:

adb remount
adb shell rm /data/system/gesture.key
adb shell reboot

q: what files are replaced by the patch?
a: framework.jar, framework-res.apk, android.policy.jar, Settings.apk

q: why not just distribute this as a simple .apk file?
a: this is a system-level mod because it replaces system-level components. it cannot be distributed as an .apk.

changelog:

avlock[8]:
* initial release

avlock[9]:
* added tactile feedback
* reduced login delay

avlock[10]:
* disabling "Use visible pattern" works now
* better integration with system and Settings.
* re-added drag lock option.

avlock[11]:
* added the ability to specify a pattern timeout

use at your own risk. i am not responsible for any damages caused by this software. MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP FIRST!

caution: if you update your rom, install a theme, or flash another mod that replaces framework.jar, framework-res.apk, or android.framework.jar, you may not be able to log in upon reboot (or even spin into a boot loop). either (1) make sure you disable your lock screen before flashing or (2) rm gesture.key as described in the faq!

download:

avlock[11]: http://droidbasement.com/db-blog/?p=202 (thanks, pershoot)

sources:

http://github.com/avatar5d

Last edited:
Reactions: Messi10

bobtentpeg

Jan 18, 2010
wow, nifty and works well enough

It'd be really nice if it was faster, there is close to a 2 second lag between entering and unlocking

Last edited:

persiansown

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2007
Nice , i agree with the faster unlock and if it's possible to install it via apk or another methode than flashing in recovery mode.
Good work.
Thanks

You could always unzip the zip and push the files manually

adb shell stop
adb push these files to their respective places framework.jar, android.policy.jar, Settings.apk
adb shell start

:)

_avatar

Aug 19, 2009
imfloflo said:
Nice , i agree with the faster unlock and if it's possible to install it via apk or another methode than flashing in recovery mode.

Unfortunately, because this is a system-level mod it cannot be installed as a simple .apk.

bobtentpeg said:
It'd be really nice if it was faster, there is close to a 2 second lag between entering and unlocking

The delay is there on purpose. Once you stop touching the circles for 2 seconds, the combination is verified. Without this delay, there would need to be some sort of "OK" button, which I think is undesirable. However, I'll look into making the delay shorter (1 second?) for future builds. The value needs to be long enough so people can still enter their combination relatively slowly, but fast enough so it's not annoying.

pvillasuso said:
Any chance to make this work with Enom's ROM ?

Possibly. Is Enom's source available, and easily buildable like Cyanogen's? I'm not super familiar with his project.

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
This is hot, installing now. My main complaint with the stock lock pattern was the inability to re-use points. just gotta set a good lock pattern and see how this works.

Thanks.

Wow.. this is pretty damned cool! Good job.

One thing, tactile feedback is not working with this, any way to restore that?

civicvx94

Dec 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Re: [MOD] avlk[9], a real, system-level lock screen replacement

anyway to incorporate trackball wake-up in this for us desire port guys ;-)

Sent from my Nexus One using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

olearyp

Sep 1, 2009
Possibly. Is Enom's source available, and easily buildable like Cyanogen's? I'm not super familiar with his project.

http://android.git.kernel.org/

You'll want to ask him which actual tag he's building for current versions. Also, since I'm not up on framework patching, it might be more complicated if you don't want to break the trackball-wake and/or notification features. Best to contact him @enomther or for someone to raise the suggestion in his thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    avlock[10] is a (the first?) real, *system-level* lock screen replacement for Android (CM 5.0.6).

it replaces the standard "connect the dots" behavior with pin-like mechanism. patterns can be arbitrarily large, and nodes can be repeated. also, there are no numbers -- just circles. definitely not for everyone, but i think some people may like it.

here's how it works:

http://files.clangen.org/avlock/avlock.m4v

if you want to try it you must have CM 5.0.6 installed, then:

1. reboot to bootloader
    2. nandroid backup <-- do it. seriously. just in case.
    3. flash avlock[x].zip
    4. reboot
    5. if you don't have a lock pattern already, set one: Home > Menu > Settings > Location and Security > Set Unlock Pattern

faq:

q: what happens if something goes really wrong and i can't log in?
    a: i've been tweaking this mod for a long time and you shouldn't have any problems. BUT IF YOU DO:

* restore from nandroid backup made in step 2 above

OR

* if you know how to use adb, just delete the file pattern file and reboot:

adb remount
    adb shell rm /data/system/gesture.key
    adb shell reboot

q: what files are replaced by the patch?
    a: framework.jar, framework-res.apk, android.policy.jar, Settings.apk

q: why not just distribute this as a simple .apk file?
    a: this is a system-level mod because it replaces system-level components. it cannot be distributed as an .apk.

changelog:

avlock[8]:
    * initial release

avlock[9]:
    * added tactile feedback
    * reduced login delay

avlock[10]:
    * disabling "Use visible pattern" works now
    * better integration with system and Settings.
    * re-added drag lock option.

avlock[11]:
    * added the ability to specify a pattern timeout

use at your own risk. i am not responsible for any damages caused by this software. MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP FIRST!

caution: if you update your rom, install a theme, or flash another mod that replaces framework.jar, framework-res.apk, or android.framework.jar, you may not be able to log in upon reboot (or even spin into a boot loop). either (1) make sure you disable your lock screen before flashing or (2) rm gesture.key as described in the faq!

download:

avlock[11]: http://droidbasement.com/db-blog/?p=202 (thanks, pershoot)

sources:

http://github.com/avatar5d