[ROM] Jun-13 MeanROM v4.5 | 2.17 | OC/UV | Beats | 50+ hr standby | 4000+ Quadrant

Search This thread

coal686

Senior Moderator / Developer Rel. / Mod Liaison
Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro

greeg32

Sep 21, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Google Pixel 5
This is hands down the best rom for my phone. I just can't get the 3.6 roms to run as well, especially for battery life. On gb I'm mostly missing the ICS Gmail app lol. I was loving devil toast but.... We'll here I am again.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

amdultra

Jan 8, 2012
noob question here

im on S-OFF hboot 1.50 Juopunutbear and rooted ,firmware on ICS nocturnal xi36 with build number 1.13.6521.1
if i want to downgrade to this rom, i just flash this rom using rom manager ? and does this UV on default?

coal686

Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
noob question here

im on S-OFF hboot 1.50 Juopunutbear and rooted ,firmware on ICS nocturnal xi36 with build number 1.13.6521.1
if i want to downgrade to this rom, i just flash this rom using rom manager ? and does this UV on default?

Since you are s-off 1.5 you just flash in your recovery. As for UV, it does conserve battery when the screen is off and give you dual core performance when screen is on.

Reactions: amdultra

vinc3stylez

Nov 9, 2010
Does anyone know how to get the default player to search through songs when the search button is pressed? I would use another player but it wouldn't have beats

Sent from my PG86100 using xda app-developers app

thisguyinoc

Feb 28, 2007
Orange County, CA
I've tried a lot of the newer ROMs, but I keep going back to this one for a battery life. Nothing I've tried tops it, though I miss out on the new ICS or JB features, the battery life can't be beat.

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
This was my first custom ROM. It was great, but I like more customization... Anyway, I'll show respect and not talk up another ROM in a man's thread. :)
I don't think Mike will be back to this thread anyway and if you want to put another GB ROM side-by-side with MeanROM GB the ZR3D GT4.3 ROM is probably the one you had in mind, and it's a great ROM too. But it's like comparing apples and oranges and ultimately comes down to personal taste.

In his comments about developing for the Note 2 Mike mentioned that users with that device seem to be more into tweaks and customization so his ROM hasn't caught on as fast there.

ramjet73

Reactions: coal686

coal686

Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
I don't think Mike will be back to this thread anyway and if you want to put another GB ROM side-by-side with MeanROM GB the ZR3D GT4.3 ROM is probably the one you had in mind, and it's a great ROM too. But it's like comparing apples and oranges and ultimately comes down to personal taste.

In his comments about developing for the Note 2 Mike mentioned that users with that device seem to be more into tweaks and customization so his ROM hasn't caught on as fast there.

ramjet73

More like comparing a Ferrari to a Lamborghini. Both are great in their own way.

And I'd be more into tweaks and customization if I had to run Touchwiz too. :p

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing MeanROM

MeanROM goals:
    1. To be clean: mostly stock look and feel of the HTC 2.17.651.5 base
    2. To be mean: apply dual core and other tweaks to run the 2.17.651.5 base to its maximum potential
    3. To be nice: provide cool functionality not present in the stock base

:eek: ==> STOP - You're gonna break it! <== :eek:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read before installing
    tweaks/themes on this ROM​
    Beats support in MeanROM 3.0 means that flashing tweaks or themes on top of this ROM is most likely going to BREAK IT!
    Most tweaks and themes are not both 2.17 and Beats compliant so when in doubt, check with the author of the tweak or
    theme you want to add to be sure it is both 2.17.651.5 compliant and was built on the Beats framework.
    Installing non-2.17 or non-Beats tweaks or themes will cause FC's, reboots, and other horrors.

If you MUST install non-Beats compliant tweaks or themes, you have two options:
    (1) For leedroid: flash the ZIP in the SD card MeanROM folder to make leedroid Beats compatible!
    (2) In the MeanROM folder on your SD card, there's a ZIP you can flash to remove Beats from this ROM completely.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

NEWS/HAPPENINGS
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New in 4.5 (details in changelog in post 2):
    • Fixed WiFi/WiMax connection problems
    (New) Click to join your fellow Meanies in the MeanROM Group!
    Video review of MeanROM v2.5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QmPvicAyzU&hd=1&list=PL9B601B5B9B4F42BE
    Video review of MeanROM v0.8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvxKjJHqq-M
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

The clean:
    • Based on stock deodexed 2.17.651.5 and inspired by CleanROM Reborn (thanks scrosler!)
    • Working: everything
    • Not working: nothing

The mean:
    • Anthrax kernel overclocking/undervolting (default 1.5Ghz) - Thanks Chad Goodman!
    • Performance and my awakenings tweaks
    • Dual core performance when screen is on for ultra-smooth experience
    • Single core underclocked when screen is off for 50+ hours of battery life at idle!
    • Pulls 3000+ Quadrants, 5400+ CF Bench, and 5500+ AnTuTu @ stock 1.2Ghz!
    • Pulls 4000+ Quadrants, 7000 AnTuTu with latest Anthrax 1.5+ Ghz kernels, still with 30+ hr standby batt!

The nice:
    • Beats Audio enabled (credit gruesomewolf, made flashable by smokin1337)
    • Fast charge ready (need Anthrax kernel for this feature)
    • Ponury gesture compatible
    • Google Talk w/video
    • ICS inspired slide to clear notifications (credit gruesomewolf)
    • Unlocked hotspot
    • 7-in-1 power menu
    • Roam-only option on roaming menu (credit Synergy/freeza)
    • Up to 15 browser windows open at once (guide by SteelH)
    • Extended settings in browser
    • Wake with volume rocker (or disable that feature via flash)
    • Exchange ActiveSync "Sync While Roaming" can now be enabled including push (update schedule) while roaming
    • HTML message format unlocked in Exchange Mail settings
    • Extended quick settings
    • Custom MMS mods w/500K, 1M, and 5M choices for max size (sizes in /system/customize/mns/default.xml)
    • Stock Camera w/HDR and Panorama
    • Amaze Camera also included
    • Flashlight
    • No location/GPS icon (guide by SteelH)
    • Disabled spinning carrousel (credit ozkaya)
    • init.d support
    • Bloat removed
    • No CIQ, loggers, usage stats, or other spyware

Credit where credit is due:
    As with any open source stuff, some of this work is my own, most of it comes from other sources. So in addition to my own work (mostly in the "mean" category), here's a quick thanks to those of you who contributed knowingly (thank you) and not-so-knowingly via open source 5 finger discount (thank you just the same: your stuff is good and that's why I used it). :) Sometimes it's not entirely obvious where the source started so if I missed someone, please let me know and I'll add you. Also, I'm careful to only include other work where the author does not specify any usage restrictions or has given approval. If you believe, however, that I've included something that shouldn't be in this ROM, please just PM me.

Thanks: scrosler, Ziggy471, Virus, Chad Goodman, Lrod0175, mwalt2, Vinchenzop, misfit, jewe11, GruesomeWolf and Team-Nocturnal, TrevE, smokin1337, jeffsanace, thesparky007

Installation instructions:
    First, the usual disclaimers. I supply the ammo, you use it. ROMS don't kill phones, n00bs do. :D Use this ROM at your own risk as I won't be responsible for bricks or any other untoward happenings. I spent a lot of time ensuring that the stuff in this ROM is fast, smooth, and 2.17.651.5 compatible. But... it always helps to have some familiarity with flashing ROMs to keep yourself safe.

Before you Install, prepare:
    1. 2.17.651.5 ROMs need the latest firmware. See freeza's all in one firmware update if you haven't done that already. If you unlocked via the HTC method, you know the drill: you'll have to take the OTA and then re-unlock.
    2. If you are already running an older version of MeanROM, you should be OK just flashing this ROM without a full wipe, BUT...
    3. If you have any trouble at all, do a super wipe and then install the above firmware and this ROM
    4. Go to "Menu", "Settings", "Power" and UNcheck "Fast Boot". When you reboot or power off the phone, you really want it to reboot/power-off. This can save you a lot of headaches.

How to flash

Please use 4ext Touch Recovery because it works on both Hboot 1.4 and 1.5 (including S-ON) and will give the best results (least potential flash problems like reboots or boot loops).

The two popular configurations for 3.x:
    • Best Performance and Battery: Flash MeanROM and nothing else on top. This setup offers maximum performance and battery. With the overclocked 1.51 Ghz clock (capable of 1.72 Ghz) and undervolting, the included (Dodava) kernel outperforms the stock kernel in both battery life and speed. The tradeoff is that non-stock kernels can be more sensitive to user configuration changes and installed apps. If you have problems (reboots, etc.) a super-wipe and fresh install will likely solve the problem. If not, flash the stock kernel below.
    • Best Reliability: Flash MeanROM from recovery and then "stock-kernel.zip" from MeanROM folder on SD card. No need to reboot or wipe: just flash the ROM and then stock-kernel, then reboot. This setup offers very good performance and best compatibility. While Beats Audio features are enabled, full Beats audio quality requires Anthrax kernel (see next configuration).
    Full Beats Audio kernel:
    If full kernel-level Beats Audio support are important to you, you can try the (more experimental) Anthrax kernels. Go here for installation instructions.

Problems after you flash?:

PLEASE DO NOT REPORT PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD UNTIL you've done a super-wipe and fresh install to see if that cures it. I know I should really just do like most devs and proclaim REQUIRES FULL WIPE/FRESH INSTALL on every version. That saves me a lot of headaches but I know what a PITA a fresh install can be even with MyBackup or Titanium at your disposal. So it never hurts to try just a flash without a full wipe, but if you run into any HINT of a problem... anything at all... don't report the problem in this thread until you've tried a super-wipe and fresh install first to see if that cures the problem!

Note regarding BOTH of the above options: don't flash tweaks or themes on top unless you KNOW the tweak/theme is compatible with Beats framework (as of this writing, most are NOT compatible - ask the developer.

A note about the mirror app:
    For whatever reason, HTC chose to hide the mirror app from the app drawer in recent updates. This ROM has the mirror app visible in the app drawer but it will only show up if this is a fresh install of the ROM (after a factory reset).

CHANGELOG:
    See post #2

DOWNLOAD:
    Android File Host links

Click to Donate
    Donations are greatly appreciated to keep this project going as it is taking a lot more time than expected: even a few bucks helps! So if you're struggling to make it, just take it... but if you can spare it, please share it. ;)

Mike
    ** CHANGELOG **

v4.5

Changes:
    • Fixed WiFi/WiMax connection problems

Results of above changes:
    • If WiFi/WiMax wasn't working for you on 4.4, 4.5 will fix the problem

Recommendations:
    • If coming from a prior version of MeanROM, OK to try installing without a full wipe, however...
    • If you run into issue, do a backup and then flash Modified_SuperWipe. Then install fresh!

v4.4

Changes:
    • Back to 0.5.2 stable version of Dodava kernel
    • Updated undervolting for the "MINIMUM" setting

• Dodava 0.5.2 kernel is the most stable version
    • Some voltages were too low in the "MINIMUM" voltage table: corrected in 4.4

v4.3

Changes:
    • New 0.5.3 Dodava kernel with improved performance and options
    • Updated CPU Tweaks

• Dodava 0.5.3 kernel and new tweaks squeeze out yet more performance
    • Testing shows slight increase in benchmark scores and also more consistent scores

v4.2

Changes:
    • New 0.5.2 Dodava kernel with improved performance and options
    • Updated CPU Tweaks

• Dodava 0.5.2 kernel shows tangible performance increase
    • Updated CPU tweaks make the most of this latest kernel update
    • SD card read_ahead value fixed, and updated to 2048Kb
    • Due to repeatable issues: use of "SmartAssV2" governor is not recommended

v4.1

Changes:
    • New 0.5.1 Dodava kernel with thermal protection
    • Fixed buffer overflows in Android services framework (eliminates boot loops on custom kernels)
    • Updated tweaks for even better performance
    • Updated Google Maps

• Dodava kernel now provides kernel thermal protection on all but engineering (HW01) devices
    • Android services framework not designed for OC kernels with more than 20 CPU speeds
    • Modified framework with larger buffers to support many CPU speeds: fixes boot loops on OC kernels
    • Between new Dodava 0.5.1 kernel and buffer overflow fix, overheating problems should be fixed
      [*]Be warned: if you flash tweaks or themes that replace services.jar, you may lose the bootloop fix!
    • Added appropriate kernel tweaks in post_boot for battery savings & performance
    • Google Maps 6.6.0 for the latest maps

v4.0

Changes:
    • New Dodava kernel designed on MeanROM!
    • Ad-free HTC flashlight app
    • Updated Google Maps

• Dodava kernel is a diamond in the rough, setting new standard for speed, reliability, and battery
    • OC/UV to 1.78Ghz, fast charge ready, Ponury compatible
    • HTC flashlight replaces old ad-supported flashlight
    • Google Maps 6.5.1 for the latest maps

v3.92

Changes:
    • Hiss-free Beats: eliminates background hiss on headset jack

• Existing Beats implementation has sound board gain set way too high for Evo 3D
    • Result is audible background hiss in quiet musical sections and just after pausing music
    • Gain has been reduced to eliminate hiss and adjustments made to DSP Manager to keep similar volume
    • End result is much cleaner audio with the same audio effects, features, and tone

v3.91

Changes:
    • Improved CPU tweaks make Ziggy kernel fly
    • New FAST_CHARGE user parameter in init.post_boot.sh

• Adjustments to CPU tweaks make default Ziggy kernel as fast/snappy as Anthrax
    • Fast charge (available if you install Anthrax kernel) is now off by default
    • Fast charge is now a user parameter at the top of init.post_boot.sh

v3.9

Changes:
    • Fixed black screen on incoming call
    • Improved auto brightness with more steps

• Incoming call will always turn screen on, even in dark rooms
    • Auto brightness is smoother, has more steps, and can go darker in dark rooms

v3.8

Changes:
    • Ziggy OC/UV kernel now built-in
    • New battery calibration script
    • Updated overclocking/undervolting
    • Updated Google Play Store app
      * Note: new kernel does not support USB fast charge (flash Anthrax if that's a must)

• Ziggy kernel appears to be more stable than Anthrax kernels used in MeanROM 3.4 through 3.7
    • New battery calibration script may take a few recharge cycles
    • To "force" battery calibration, simply charge to 99 or 100% and turn the screen on/off once with battery at 99 or 100%.
    • To REcalibrate at a future time, just delete /data/MeanROM.cal and repeat above.

v3.7

Changes:
    • Latest Anthrax kernel (SENSE-Anthrax_Shooter-RLS8-beta3)
    • HTML message format unlocked in Exchange mail settings
    • Fast charge enabled
    • CPU tweaks updated: conservative governor now used when screen is off for better battery life

• Latest Anthrax kernel increases stability
    • Fast charge really makes a difference bringing the charge up quickly on USB
    • HTML message format enables HTML mails in ExchangeSync regardless of server side support
    • CPU tweaks should improve screen-off battery life

v3.6

Changes:
    • Latest Anthrax kernel (Anthrax 2.17REBASE-RLS07-TEST-040512-1245)
    • Updated CPU tweaks for Anthrax: much snappier performance and no lag anywhere!
    • Changed kernel flashing method (both Anthrax and stock) for better reliability

• Switch from ondemand to interactive governor makes Anthrax SCREAM!
    • 1.5 Ghz performance now what you'd expect for OC kernel: incredibly fast!
    • Kernel flash method should alleviate problems with flashing the ROM or the stock kernel for both Hboot 1.4 and 1.5

v3.5

Changes:
    • Updated kernel (Anthrax 040412-1845_22f1a90)
    • Memory tweaks for increased memory
    • Kernel tweaks for increased stability
    • Updated SU binary
    • Updated DSP Manager
    • Updated Gmail and Google Street View
    • Bug fix: laggy screen off animation after flashing stock kernel

• Latest 22f1a90 Anthrax kernel (note, will still show 882e069 in "About" but it is truly the latest 22f1a90 code)
    • Memory and kernel tweaks are designed to allow more free memory and greater kernel stability
    • Updated DSP manager shows EQ settings with presets now
    • Updated to latest apps and binaries for maximum compatibility
    • Bug fix: flashing stock-kernel.zip from MeanROM folder no longer produces laggy screen off animation

v3.4

Changes:
    • Anthrax kernel 040212-1910_882e069 gives overclocking, undervolting, and full beats support
    • 1.5Ghz clock, undervolted by default. Max 1.7Ghz.
    • Turned off volume rocker wake by default

• Anthrax kernel installs with ROM for less issues w/kernel installations
    • Overclocking/undervolting results in incredible battery-performance ratio
    • Stock kernel can be flashed (in MeanROM folder)

v3.3

Changes:
    • Smooth Rosie mod makes scrolling more fluid
    • Cleaned and updated all flashable ZIPs in MeanROM folder on SD card
    • Added build tweaks to potentially improve battery life on Anthrax kernels
    • Fixed a bug in carbon fiber status bar

• Rosie will scroll smoother now at higher frame rates
    • You can now flash tweaks in MeanROM folder without worrying about losing slide-to-clear notification or other tweaks in the process
    • Explicitly setting phone sleep mode parameters may improve battery life on Anthrax kernels
    • Bug fix in carbon fiber status bar only improves dev's ability to decompile MeanROM's SystemUI.apk. No difference to end user.

v3.2

Changes:
    • 4x5 Rosie allows more apps and widgets (or flash the standard 4x4 in the MeanROM folder on SD)
    • Updated Google Maps

• Less wasted space on your home screen(s) and more room for apps and widgets.

v3.1

Changes:
    • Increased maximum browser windows to 15
    • Added advanced settings to browser
    • Enabled volume rocker to wake the phone (can be disabled)
    • Updated CPU tweaks and voltages for better stability w/Anthrax kernels
    • Added flashable ZIP to remove Beats Audio completely
    • Added flashable ZIP to make leedroid tweaks Beats compatible (thanks gruesomewolf!)
    • Added flashable ZIP to disable volume rocker wake

• Flashable ZIP in MeanROM folder of SD card can make leedroid tweaks Beats compatible. Flash leedroid FIRST, and then the fix in the MeanROM folder.
    • If you don't care about beats and you need compatibility for a theme/tweak, flashable ZIP in MeanROM folder allows you to completely uninstall Beats from the ROM so that tweaks/themes will be compatible.
    • Browser will be more versatile with 15 windows allowed plus the "debug" setting options available.
    • If you don't like the volume up/down buttons waking the phone, flash the ZIP in MeanROM folder to disable that.
    • CPU voltages for the Anthrax kernels have been increased to 100mV above minimum now in the default "UNDER" setting. This is still 50-100mV lower than kernel defaults.
    • New CPU voltages should ensure stability while still saving battery.
    • You can choose "MINIMUM" to lower the voltages further or "NORMAL" to choose kernel defaults (higher voltages). See instructions.
    • MeanROM will tell your phone to boot at 1.51Ghz. To go higher, see this thread to learn how to update CPU tweaks.

v3.0

Changes:
    • CPU tweaks updated for both stock and Anthrax kernel optimization
    • Fixed order/timing of tweaks: some were not "sticking" in previous versions
    • Updated undervolting to best settings for Anthrax kernels
    • Beats Audio features enabled: go here for info on installing the Anthrax 1.5+ Ghz kernel that enable full Beats Audio sound

v2.9
    Changes:
    • CPU tweaks updated to be compatible with latest 1.7Ghz RLS75 Anthrax kernel
    • Updated undervolting to best settings for Anthrax RLS75
    • Updated the Google Play Store and ES File Explorer apps
    • See this guide for notes on running MeanROM at 1.5Ghz and up

• Anthrax RLS75 appears to be the most stable release yet. Battery is also improved.
    • RLS75 allows slightly lower voltages in the high frequencies for better battery
    • MeanROM will tell your phone to boot at 1.51Ghz. To go higher, see this thread to learn how to update CPU tweaks.

v2.8
    Changes:
    • CPU tweaks and undervolting updated to be compatible with both 1.5Ghz and 1.6Ghz Anthrax kernels
    • Updated undervolting to the "MINIMUM" setting: tested and reported stable by users
    • See this guide for notes on running MeanROM at 1.5Ghz and 1.6Ghz

• MeanROM w/Anthrax kernels running with unbelievable battery and performance now
    • New "MINIMUM" setting for voltage will undervolt the Anthrax kernels a little more and result in the best battery life yet
    • This "MINIMUM" setting is the new default undervolting so you don't have to change anything in the user config area

v2.7
    Changes:
    • CPU tweaks updated for better battery with Anthrax kernels
    • CPU tweaks have a user config section at the top of /system/etc/init.post_boot.sh
    • See above for notes on running MeanROM at 1.5Ghz

• MeanROM w/Anthrax kernels running with unbelievable battery and performance now

v2.6
    Changes:
    • CPU tweaks updated for better performance with Anthrax kernels
    • System Tuner and SetCPU settings are no longer cleared on boot
    • Errors with the CPU tweaks (interference) from CPU apps will be reported in /data/MeanROM.log
    • All flashable ZIPs in /sdcard/MeanROM are flashable without manual dalvik/cache wipe

• Unlike 2.5, 2.6 does not interfere with System Tuner and SetCPU settings for stability reasons
    • Want to know if your CPU tweaks are working? Open /data/MeanROM.log about 3 minutes after boot. No error messages there = good to go.
    • Tightened up the CPU tweaks for Anthrax kernels = reduced lag and even faster benchmarks!
    • Reduced up_threshold for screen-off on Anthrax kernels = correct lag/skipping on background apps like media servers

v2.5

Changes:
    • Disabled the useless and frequently annoying spinning-top mode of the carousel
    • Optimized CPU tweaks to work with both the stock kernel and new Anthrax kernel

• No more inadvertent spinning top when you flick your home page(s) too fast
    • Anthrax kernel + MeanROM 2.5 = unbelievable performance and battery life!

v2.4
    Changes:
    • Removed some remaining loggers, usage stats, and check-in services
    • Removed unneeded/unused mpdecision service: it was still being started in v2.3 and prior

• Should result in a slight improvement in battery life
    • Usage stats will be blank now when using Phone Info app and #3282: those stats have been found to be next to useless anyway

v2.3
    Removed an HTC logging service that was eating battery on at least some phones
    Increased SD card read ahead from 512 to 1024
    SD card tweak allows faster read speeds on high speed cards without adversely affecting slower (class 4) cards or reading of multiple small files
    Added adreno config GPU performance tweaks
    Improved the installation script so that no wipe of cache/dalvik required, plus fixed the progress meter to be more realistic during install
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to flash v2.3 with NO wiping (install now wipes cache and dalvik automatically)
    * If you run into trouble, a clean install (factory reset) is the answer
    * If you run into bugs, before you post a bug report, be sure to tell me if you flashed any tweaks/themes as those are often the culprit: not the ROM.
    * While flashing the ROM itself doesn't require a cache/dalvik wipe any more with 2.3 and up, the flashable ZIPs in the MeanROM folder on the SD card do require a cache/dalvik wipe!

v2.2
    Implemented the anti-stutter smooth scrolling mod (makes a big difference in many apps: no more stuttering)
    Updated MeanROM lock ring to a more subtle, cleaner look
    Updated Google Maps to latest version
    Rearranged a few lines of code in the post boot code for simplicity (will not change CPU, batt, or performance)
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v2.2

v2.1
    Updated CPU tweaks based on user feedback for better performance-battery balance
    Changed screen-on WiFi scan interval from 1 minute to 2 minutes for better battery life
    Added code to produce a WiFi scan once each time the screen is turned on
    If you want your phone to (re)scan for WiFi access points, turn the screen off and back on, then wait 10 seconds
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v2.1

v2.0
    Finalized CPU tweaks give us the fastest performance yet with little or no loss of battery life
    No need to flash different MMS tweaks for max sizes
    Open messaging, press Menu, Settings, MMS, and Maximum message size to select max sizes for popular carriers:
    • 500K for Cricket, etc.
    • 1M for T-Mobile, etc.
    • 5M for Sprint
    • Other carriers: pick what suits you
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v2.0

v1.9
    Updated CPU tweaks:
    • Further optimized both min and max frequencies for screen on/off
    • Screen off gets the same battery saving 384/594 single core settings as before
    • Screen off gets an upgrade to 486/1188 dual core: higher min frequency improves benchmarks, eliminates lag completely, and gives even better screen-on battery life due to less "frequency hunting"
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v1.9

v1.8
    Updated CPU tweaks: more battery life with NO drop in performance!
    Updated core apps including VoiceMail, YouTube, and Maps 6.3.0 w/improved battery life
    Added SprintTV to flashable zip MeanROM folder on SD card
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v1.8

v1.7
    MMS options a plenty! v1.7 comes with a full 5MB MMS size limit (only dalvik/cache wipe needed), plus
    Look in the MeanROM folder on your SD card: options to flash 500K, 1M, 2M, or 5M limit
    Flashable MMS size options can be flashed via just dalvik/cache wipe + flash from recovery
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v1.7

v1.6
    New download notification icon visually distinguishes between in-progress and completed downloads
    Updated ES File Explorer
    Tiny Flashlight from the Market
    Updated install text on green animation flashable ZIP in sdcard/MeanROM
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v1.6

v1.5
    By popular demand: created an animated sync notification icon
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v1.5

v1.4
    Modified Exchange ActiveSync: "Sync While Roaming" checkbox can be checked/unchecked, and "Update Schedule" now works while roaming
    Performance/battery tweaks: raised min CPU freq from 192 to 384Mhz for stability and better battery life when running background apps
    Exchange ActiveSync changes above do NOT require a full wipe/factory reset!
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v1.4

v1.3
    Thanks to GruesomeWolf and Team-Nocturnal, we now have slide-to-clear in notification list
    English-only version of Swype eliminates inadvertent language switching when typing comma or "Sym"
    For our bi-lingual or Spanish speaking friends, stock Swype can be found in "MeanROM" folder on your SD card
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v1.3

v1.2
    Increased speaker and headset volume: adjust or disable via included DSP Manager app
    Changed Exchange sync settings to fully enable sync-while-roaming (full wipe/factory reset required)
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v1.2

v1.1
    192Mhz min CPU freq: more battery savings without any performance hit!
    Enabled "sync while roaming" for Exchange (full wipe/factory reset required)
    Disabled Android compatibility check: fixes FC on some apps
    Rearranged order of some other tweaks to improve compatibility
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v1.1

v1.0
    MMS compression fix
    Updated ES File Explorer to 1.6.1.1
    Changed boot and down animations to blue color
    Check your SD card's "MeanROM" subdirectory for flashable tweaks
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v1.0

v0.9
    Increased max MMS message size to 5MB: you must do a factory reset and fresh install for this to take
    Increased the minimum free memory requirement
    Removed some non-working (superfluous) tweaks
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v0.9

v0.8
    Fixed Amaze Camera forcing closed on new/fresh install
    Removed signal tweaks: after further review and feedback, they appear to have no effect on the Evo 3D
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v0.8

v0.7
    Added selected (and tested) 3G signal/speed tweaks
    New stock camera w/more features (shutter sound switch, etc)
    Modified Amaze Camera so that only the stock camera opens when pressing the camera button
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v0.7

v0.6
    Stock camera mod: now has HDR and Panorama modes
    Amaze Camera: yep, you get both. Use the Amaze Camera when you need it's features/quality or if you don't want the Amaze Camera, just uninstall.
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v0.6

v0.5
    New MeanROM lock ring
    Google Talk w/video
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v0.5

v0.4
    New carbon fiber status bar (see tweaks below if you like the stock status bar)
    Added HTC Watch
    If running any previous MeanROM version: OK to wipe cache/dalvik and then flash v0.4

v0.3
    New boot animation (just changed to green color) and cool new (matching) down-animation
    Reviewed, tested, and installed a handful of build prop tweaks (thanks benny) to squeeze out just a hint more performance

v0.2
    Fixed sticking at boot animation when flashing after a full wipe

v0.1
    Initial release
    v3.8 now installs with the Ziggy kernel already in place. If you prefer the stock kernel, you can flash the stock kernel via the flashable ZIP in your MeanROM folder on your SD card. Keep in mind if you flash the stock kernel that while the stock kernel will benefit from some Beats Audio features, you need the Anthrax kernel to take advantage of full Beats Audio sound. Chad updates his Anthrax kernels quite often, so if you want to update to the latest Anthrax kernel , you'll need to follow the instructions below.

Getting the kernel:
    The Anthrax kernels are not public. You need to to to infectedROM, subscribe, and get the proper kernel version for MeanROM. Here's how:
    • Visit http://www.infectedrom.com
    • Top right: click "Register" and register an account if you don't already have one
    • Go here: http://forums.infectedrom.com/showthread.php/1162-KERNEL-Private-Kernel-Download-Thread (you must be registered/log in)
    • Download instructions and username/password for the download are at the bottom of the post
    • When you get to the download directories, choose "SHOOTER_CDMA"
    • Click on the latest 2.17 kernel (bottom) to download
    • Flash as you would any other flashable ZIP or if you're on HBOOT 1.5, this seems like a pretty good guide

That's really all you need to do. MeanROM will take care of the "marriage" between the CPU tweaks and the Anthrax kernel automatically.

User Config:
    MeanROM 2.7+ has some user configurable options in the init.post_boot.sh file. Here's how to change CPU tweaks:
    • Install Root Explorer from the market if you don't already have it
    • Use Root Explorer to go to /system/etc
    • Scroll down and find init.post_boot.sh
    • Long hold on the init.post_boot.sh file
    • Choose "Open in text editor" at the bottom.
    • Change any user config items at the top
    • Back-arrow out of the file and save
    • Reboot and you're done
    • See below for user config examples

User config examples (how to edit the above init.post_boot.sh file):

(1) You like the 1.51Ghz setting but you want to use the maximum speed (1.7Ghz) that the kernel will deliver.
    Change this line:
    AWAKE_MAX_FREQ="AUTO"

To this:
    AWAKE_MAX_FREQ="MAX"

(2) You've had a few reboots or other issues and you want to disable the undervolting and use the voltages designed into the kernel to see if that solves the issues.
    Change this line:
    VOLTAGE="UNDER"

To this:
    VOLTAGE="NORMAL"

(3) You run some CPU intensive things (media servers, etc.) and you want to allow the CPU to run higher than (the MeanROM default) 756Mhz.
    Change this line:
    SLEEP_MAX_FREQ="AUTO"

To this:
    SLEEP_MAX_FREQ="1188000"

Be creative, but know what you are doing. If something fouls you up and you get boot loops, it should be no problem to correct it. Just boot to recovery by pulling the battery and then holding power-VolDown and you can reflash the ROM and kernel from recovery to get everything back to defaults. Of course, you have to leave the ROM and kernel on your SD card if you want to be able to recover. Of course, the best way to do this is to Nandroid before changing anything!

Mike
    This is going to be rather long, but Mike has asked for everyone's feedback and I'd like to speak my full piece..

Thanks for the feedback. I do appreciate it, but by the looks of your post, you didn't see my detailed description of why the frequencies are set to what they are now. I was more interested in what people are actually experiencing as far as performance and battery in real world tests and conditions. From your post, the information that I believe is relevant is that you think your phone runs fine at 192Mhz. I'll accept that for what it is (a data point) but I already know from experience that you are in the minority here. As soon as I released v1.1 with the 192Mhz min frequency, I immediately started getting inundated with people complaining that battery life was much worse, and the phone lagged more on occasion. Then when I brought the frequency back up to 384Mhz, the vast majority reported "thank you, battery life is back to phenomenal and lag is gone". Well, that's what got me on my quest to actually find and measure the needed frequencies.

No, neither HTC nor Qualcomm set these devices up to work as well as they actually can. They simply do not have the resources and the time. These things are rushed to market and updates are no better: they are designed to "make the device work". That's about it! So when I actually started testing these things, I found that 192Mhz was far too slow to make this phone work without lag. 384 fixed the problem but when I looked into it further, 486 worked even better, and without extra battery drain. I didn't pull these numbers out of a hat nor did I increase them for bragging rights. They are measured values of what the phone actually needs in order to keep up! I spent many hours testing different states, what frequencies are needed when the CPU wakes up when the screen is off, etc. Simply put, 192 doesn't cut it (not even close) and 384 doesn't quite cut it either. When you crunch the numbers, you find that the phone actually needed 432Mhz while running one core with the screen off and 540Mhz while running dual core with the screen on. Lowering those numbers caused the CPU to jump relentlessly between the min/max numbers and when you look at the time and crunch the numbers, it was always shooting for those figures: 432 with screen off and 540 with screen on!

In other words, if you crank it down to even 384Mhz while the screen is on and IDLING (not even running any games or other apps: what you called "waiting for input"), it'll hop up to 1188 much more frequently and in fact, crunch the numbers for the amount of time it spent at 384 and 1188 and get an average and you'll find that on average, the CPU was using about 540Mhz of power with the screen on and about 432Mhz with the screen off. I will add a disclaimer here that yours may be slightly different (up or down one notch in the time table) from the 432-off/540-on numbers, but I did test a variety of configurations as I said in my description when I released 2.0 and 432/540 minimum frequencies were the good middle ground that worked well under all setups from clean install to heavily loaded down. Part of the need for higher minimum frequencies is because with the screen off, there's an initial "crunch" when the CPU is awakened and that often requires more CPU power than when a longer task is being performed. And with the screen on, it is always doing more than just waiting for input from you! There's a lot more going on in there than you think. Even bumping the min screen-on frequency from 384 to 486Mhz caused a dozen posts saying "Wow, lag is completely gone" and "apps seem to open before I even touch the screen". This is not placebo. This is noticeable and even measurable in benchmarks! No, the phone CANNOT and will not instantly crank up to 1188 Mhz from 192 (or 384). I've proven this many times. It doesn't work that way.

You have to remember that the decision to ramp up to 1188 is made at 192Mhz! It only measures CPU load 20 times per second. And it will never be able to ramp up to 1188 in 1/20 second! The reason is that by the time the service reports a high CPU load (high enough to trip the up-frequency), you've already experienced 1/20 second lag minimum. At that point, it takes at least one more cycle to actually increase CPU frequency at which point you've experienced at least 1/10 second of lag. That is almost always noticeable. To complicate matters, if you look at the code for the daemon, you'll notice that it is a "nice" process which means other high priority system processes can actually "steal" time from the daemon and that can actually greatly increase the amount of time it takes for the daemon to actually raise CPU frequency once it notices the phone is lagging. By that time, you've already noticed additional wait to open an app, a "hiccup" while scrolling, etc. The reality is, your phone can lag at 192Mhz (or 384) for several 1/20 second cycles before the CPU is actually ramped up to the full 1188 and THAT is what causes the lag.

So long story short (I know, too late now) I have to discount all your questioning about whether or not I got the numbers right because your assumptions about the numbers are quite frankly all dead wrong! Your scale of the numbers in your car analogy doesn't fit either. I actually do performance tuning on (among other setups) Hemis. The analogy is more like: set your idle to 192 RPM and see if you can keep it running. If it does, it'll be loping like hell and then when you hit the gas, what happens? It bogs. It's because the system wasn't ready for the load. Set it to 540RPM and see how much better it responds. That's a better analogy here.

So I'm really interested in actual results more than people pulling their own numbers out of a hat and saying "these make more sense to me". A lot of testing went into the CPU tweaks in this ROM and I'm aware of "theories" about how people think 192 might be better or 384 is better. Been there done that. That was the boardroom stage... kinda where HTC and Qualcomm left it. We're already out on the track racing and making adjustments. :)

Oh, and the frequencies are no more "locked" now than they've ever been. I intentionally set up the init.post_boot.sh so that they can easily be changed. So if you want to run yours at the laggier, less efficient 192Mhz, the choice is yours. Just follow Lrod's instructions above. I was going to post those but he did a fine job.

Edit: I also notice you said at one point "So I don't understand why the decision was made in v2.0 to raise the minimum frequencies to 432mhz for core0 and 540mhz for core1.". CPU0 is never run at a different minimum frequency than CPU1. The numbers for min/max are:

- Screen off: CPU0 = 432/648, CPU1 = offline
    - Screen on: CPU0 = 540/1188, CPU1 = 540/1188

And again, these numbers came from actual measurements and number crunching. Didn't matter what you used for minimum frequency: you could set it to 192 and run the phone for a day, and then set it to 384 and run the phone for a day. What you'd find is that regardless of what you picked, the CPU was always "hunting" for about 432Mhz with the screen off and about 540Mhz with the screen on. And with screen on, I mean the screen forced on but the phone doing nothing but idling on the home screen. The CPU was doing nothing but typical background tasks with an occasional email or SMS message coming in and maybe a stray screen scrolling thrown in infrequently.

Mike
    I'm working right now on updating my CPU tweaks to be fully compatible with the Anthrax kernel. Should have something later today. It looks to me like running MeanROM on Anthrax might even SAVE battery... at 1.5 Ghz! More later.

Mike