Looking for good plain case and (possibly) keyboard case

Search This thread

magus57

Oct 2, 2010
Chicago
Recently bought a Nook Color, and already have a 32GB microSD card for it and have a pack of anti-glare screen protectors coming in on Saturday. I'm looking to add a plain case and a keyboard case (if possible) to complete my "accessory" set for it.

For the plain case, I'm just looking for something along the lines of the Otterbox Commuter case for it - something that will look nice and be able to protect it should it fall; I want to comfortably carry it on the street and not worry if it falls out of my hands. Just wondering, though - is it worth ~$40? I don't care about it covering the microSD card slot (I don't intend on removing it much), I'm just talking purely about protection and whether there's a better case for the price that would offer a similar level of protection. I don't need a "folio-type" case that will actually cover the screen, and I'd actually prefer that it isn't.

As for the keyboard case, I'm looking at something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004OB0EBQ/
And I remember seeing one with a microUSB connector at the end, but I can't find it at the moment. Anyway, I'm wondering if there's such a keyboard case that would work via USB with the Nook Color (and if there's anything specific I need to do in terms of software - I have CM7.2 on it right now), since I've read that certain such devices won't work without a powered USB hub, and I'd rather not deal with that. I'm not too interested in Bluetooth keyboard cases both due to price and the hassle of Bluetooth (pairing, battery life, etc.), but if somebody knows of a cheap one that works well with the Nook Color then I'd be very interested.

Thanks!

magus57

Oct 2, 2010
Chicago
I too have given up on bluetooth keyboards and I'm using this case:

http://www.caseyfrennier.com/nook-color-keyboard-case/

I like it. I've dropped it a few times too. On carpet though.

I found that case here, with a microUSB plug (meaning the miniUSB plug and converter is unnecessary):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170783937772

Great to know that it only requires an app to work. Think I might go with that and the Otterbox, since it seems like it should still fit according to the specs.

Peoplephobic

Mar 10, 2012
Nobody makes a micro usb female to usb male adapter that I've found so you won't be able to use that keyboard and a mouse and usb drive using a usb hub.

Good find though.

magus57

Oct 2, 2010
Chicago
Nobody makes a micro usb female to usb male adapter that I've found so you won't be able to use that keyboard and a mouse and usb drive using a usb hub.

Good find though.

I thought about that (after I bought it =P), but I don't even have a wired mouse at the moment, or the need to plug in a flash drive. Just the keyboard plugged in is fine for me.

Reactions: jacjar1

magus57

Oct 2, 2010
Chicago
So I finally received the case this week and I've been using it a bit...I love it. My only two complaints are that it doesn't hold it well enough to prevent it from slipping out on the sides, and that the Nook Tweaks app to enable USB host doesn't always work properly (might have to re-enable settings and refresh a few times) - but certainly not a dealbreaker.

I'm still looking for a decent regular case, though, as the Otterbox is kinda pricey at ~$45.

bornagainpenguin

Oct 22, 2010
My only two complaints are that it doesn't hold it well enough to prevent it from slipping out on the sides, and that the Nook Tweaks app to enable USB host doesn't always work properly (might have to re-enable settings and refresh a few times) - but certainly not a dealbreaker.

Which case are you talking about here? Just for complete clarity, so I know what not to get.

--bornagainpenguin

magus57

Oct 2, 2010
Chicago
Which case are you talking about here? Just for complete clarity, so I know what not to get.

--bornagainpenguin

The one I linked to:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170783937772

From what I understand, the full-size USB version that can be bought on Amazon is identical in the way it holds the tablet. Again, I certainly wouldn't call it a dealbreaker especially since you can probably make some DIY straps to hold it better or something.

Top Liked Posts