Search This thread

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
Staff member
Jun 7, 1972
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Q&A/T [Template Thread] for ROMS / Kernels / Projects
Credits:
Kuzibri (Recognized Contributor) for driving this project and leading the initiative to go public with our thinking.
Much of the text here has been developed by a small team including:
Forum Moderators TonyStark; Stryke_the_Orc, KidCarter93 and
Recognized Contributors: Robbie P, Riro Zizo
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The Recognized Contributor group has for some time now been involved in working with Developers to create specific Q&A-Template threads for their ROMs, Kernels or projects. The main idea behind a Q&A-Template thread is to clear Off-topic posts and questions from the development thread to the Q&A-Template thread, thus keeping the development thread "clean". This leaves such things as bug reports and dev.-related topics to be discussed without distractions in the development forum.

The Q&A/T thread will usually have discussions about battery life, general questions, such as, "will this app work with this ROM", "can I use this kernel with it", "+1" and any other non-development related questions and topics.

A template for the first post of the Q&A/T thread and some guidelines have been available for RCs and RDs to use which allow uniformity across the site. We thought, in the spirit of openness and sharing, these should be made available to all members. Since not all Contributors are RCs, and not all Developers are RDs.

We feel that the Developer (our most precious resource) should decide whether a Q&A/T thread is required for their project. If so (
fingers-crossed.gif
), they should decide whether they want to post/maintain it themselves or choose someone they think would be suitable to post/maintain it for them. This could be any Member or an RC.

Note that this initiative is fully compatible with the DevDB system which has a specific tab option to allow Developers to link to their Q&A/T thread.

While it may be impossible to keep discussion in the development forums strictly on development, this may be a huge step in the right direction toward getting XDA back to what it was originally intended to be (”A site by Developers, for Developers”), and have a forum that is more hospitable to those Developers that we would be lost without.

Also see here: PORTAL ARTICLE
Ѽѽ

Last edited by a moderator:

kuzibri

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 25, 2008
Hi Developer,

We realize that your development threads are often cluttered with OT questions, rather than helpful bug reports and other valuable input that helps your project improve and reach more people.

This is why we started this XDA approved Q&A initiative, where you, a member of the Recognized Contributor group or any member of your choosing, can maintain a separate (but linked) Q&A thread. The key here is that you don't have to do any work to make this happen. All you need to do is follow the guidelines in post #3 and use the template in post #4 and a RC member or a person nominated by you, can do all the work to maintain a thread on your behalf.

You can see some examples of this in action below.

Evervolv 4.0.0 [kitkat]
OmniROM (pico)

Want more info? Just watch this quick video and you'll find out everything you need to know:

We hope that you take advantage of this initiative as we strive to make XDA a more organized place.

Hundreds of other projects have already got a Q&A/T thread and you could be losing out.

If you want an RC allocated to setup and run your Q&A thread, you can contact me @kuzibri

Thanks and kindest regards, also on behalf of MikeChannon, kuzibri

Last edited:

kuzibri

Oct 25, 2008
Guidelines for Creating/Maintaining a Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting Thread

Guidelines for:
Creating/Maintaining a Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting thread
for a specific ROM/Kernel/Project

The Original Poster (OP) of the Q&A/T thread should;

1- Be the Developer, or someone chosen by the Developer who has a working knowledge of the specific ROM/kernel/project. A close working relationship with the Dev is obviously a bonus here

2- The point of thread title naming is: Anybody searching google or within the site should have the ROM show up, and the Q&A thread should also show in the same search results. For that to happen, the Q&A/T thread should have the same title as the development thread with the prefix [Q&A/T] followed by the dev thread’s title.

Example: the dev thread is called~
[ROM]XDA Modified Basic ASOP V#1.1.0
In the Q&A Help and Troubleshooting section you would have~
[Q&A/T][ROM]XDA Modified Basic ASOP
NOTE~The version number has been left out in the Q&A/T. This generalizes the ROM by name and not a specific version
The OP might want to add tags to the Q&A/T threads (and dev thread) so that it would be easier for someone to find and therefore ask their question in the correct place. One of the tags should be the name of the ROM so that it fits in nicely with the naming convention as well
BTW, In order to keep the first post of the newly created Q&A/T Thread as clean as possible, it is recommended that the OP un-checks the "show your signature" box

Post#2 of the Q&A/T thread could be used as a FAQ list

3- The Q&A/T thread should be posted in the Device’s Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting section, and should use the template (see below-post #4) in the first post. The template is essential for providing uniformity across the site.

4- If relevant, upon completion, the Dev would be notified by the OP that the thread is completed and might want to post in it as a sort of hello

5- The Dev should add 2 links to the Q&A/T thread in their thread, One in the Dev's thread's first post and the other at the end of the thread. Also have a description of what they want to be posted in that thread, and what they want posting in the dev thread. This is key to the whole initiative, it should be the Devs choice as to what goes where, a clear description of what should go to Q&A/T thread means that all users can understand and follow the Dev's wishes.

6- The OP would monitor the dev thread, maybe from time to time checking any issues with the Dev. But this would not be an overly intrusive kind of monitoring. If OT is excessive or there is flaming going on, then identify a forum Mod for that forum and let them know. A good working relationship with a forum Mod would be ideal so that, within reason, you can PM them with problems now and then without being overly strict about each and every post. If consecutive posts need to be moved to the Q&A/T thread then note the start and end post numbers and get your friendly Mod to move them. We wouldn't want to move lots of random posts that are not consecutive though as that is more difficult. If the Dev is not the OP, the Dev can also ask a Mod to move posts from time to time, but in this case it's likely best if the Dev just doesn’t answer certain questions in the Dev thread but just remind folk by saying "Please use the Q&A/T thread for this kind of question".

7- After the Q&A/T thread is created, the OP should post a link to it in this thread so it can be added to the list of all existing Q&A/T threads in post #6

8- If the devolpment thread is a DevDB project, you can link your Q&A/T thread at the bottom of the Edit screen, as shown in the attached image.

Last edited:

kuzibri

Oct 25, 2008
Template for first post of Q&A/T thread

Hi all,

in order to try to revive our project, I decided to going to adjust the Q&A/T Template in such a way that it also focusses the attention on the Index en Ask Away Anything projects. Main reason for this is that all of these projects have the intention to get XDA more organized regarding off topic posts in the Dev's Rom. I will also do that in the templates for the Index and Ask Away Anything projects regarding the Q&A/T Template project. See below:

[SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
for
Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

(Insert-ROM/kernel/project-image-or-name-Here)

Click link here>> (Insert-Link-to-dev-thread-Here) <<Click link here

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help

It is always best to thank a ROM OP, in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

https%3A%2F%2Fdl.dropboxusercontent.com%2Fu%2F31151290%2FSig%2FredLine.png

Please keep discussion focused, on the topic described in the OP
https%3A%2F%2Fdl.dropboxusercontent.com%2Fu%2F31151290%2FSig%2FredLine.png

These other projects have the same intention, e.g. keep XDA organized:
1. The Index Project
2. Ask Away help threads

Below you will find the code of this template. Copy and paste this into a new Q&A/T thread and fill in the necessary information, like Specific to, Image of the Device and link to the Dev' thread

Code:
[Noparse]
[CENTER][SIZE=+2][B]This thread has been created
for 
Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting[/B][/SIZE]
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=+2][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Specific to[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red](Insert-ROM/kernel/project-image-or-name-Here)

Click link here>> (Insert-Link-to-dev-thread-Here) <<Click link here[/COLOR]

[B]Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help[/B]

[U]It is always best to thank a ROM OP, in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".[/U]

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Please keep discussion focused, on the topic described in the OP[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]These other projects have the same intention, e.g. keep XDA organized:
1. [URL="http://xdaforums.com/general/about-xda/public-index-program-project-t3147245"]The Index Project[/URL]
2. [URL="http://xdaforums.com/general/general/help-thread-t3163873#post62009427"]Ask Away help threads[/URL][/SIZE] [/CENTER]
[Noparse]

Again: Copy and paste this code in your new Q&A/T thread and fill in the necessary information, e.g. intented device, link to the device and the link to the Dev's original ROM.

kindest regards, kuzibri

Last edited:

kuzibri

Oct 25, 2008
Q&A/T Threads - categorized by devices

Total amount of existing Q&A/T Threads: 110:

Until now the initiative has proudly helped in the creation of the following Q&A/T threads:
Public: 123
OmniROM: 5
QABot: 1

From this point forward, we will simply keep a running total of the Q&A/T's created, which does not mean that the major list of existing Q&A/T threads will not be updated anymore with newly added Q&A/T threads using our template for which ever device, on the contrary. Every new addition, will be added to the major list!!

As always we appreciate everyone's contribution.

kindest regards, Kuzibri

Last edited:

kuzibri

Oct 25, 2008
Q&A/T Threads

"Click To Show Content" and you will find all existing Q&A/T threads for several specific ROMs. This list will be updated whenever creators mention/post their new Q&A/T thread in this Public thread.

HTC Devices

AT&T, Rogers HTC One X, Telstra One XL
HTC HD2
HTC One (M7)
HTC Amaze 4G
T Mobile HTC One
HTC One X
Sprint HTC Evo L TE
Sprint HTC One
HTC Salsa
HTC Sensation:

Verizon HTC Droid Incredible 4G LTE
HTC Droid DNA
Verzion HTC One
HTC Pico
HTC Incredible S
HTC Desire X

Google Devices

Google Nexus 5
Google Nexus 4
Google Nexus 7

LG Devices
LG G2

LG G2 Intl
LG Optimus G

Samsung Devices
Epic 4G Touch
AT&T Galaxy S 4
Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, I9305
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500 i9505 i9505G i9506
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket SGH-I727
Samsung Galaxy S 4 Mini
Samsung Galaxy Mega
Samsung Galaxy S II I9100
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Samsung Galaxy TAB S3

ASUS DEVICES

Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101
Asus Transformer TF700

Sony Devices
Sony Xperia P, U, Sola, Go
Sony Xperia Z
Sony Xperia Z Ultra
Sony Xperia ZR
Sony Xperia Z1
Sony Xperia T
Sony Xperia M
Sony Xperia Tablet Z All Versions
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
Sony Xperia Z3

Sony Xperia XZ Premum

OnePlus DeviceS

Oppo Find 7 and 7a Devices
Motorola Devices

Motorola Droid X

Amazon Kindle Fire Device

Amazon Fire Devices

Smartwatches

Kindest regards, Kuzibri

Last edited:

TonyStark R.I.P.

Retired Moderator - R.I.P.
May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
I have been asked to explain the following process.
Helping a Developer apply the Q&A/T template in DevDB, as the alternative to the standard "Bot" Q&A.

•ᴥ•__________________________________________•ᴥ•____________________________________________•ᴥ•

ᕗIt is imperative to be mindful of the followingᕙ

Many ROM Devs have no interest in Q&A threads(PERIOD) In this case, if you ask and you get no reply, do not continue to PM the Dev with the the Q&A template proposition

•ᴥ•__________________________________________•ᴥ•____________________________________________•ᴥ•

Keep in mind, this How to is specific to ROMs set up in DevDB only!

In a majority of the cases, a Bot already exists. In this case it is important to contact the OP of the ROM and explain the change which can be made.

The ground work/Setting up the Q&A thread

After you have contacted the Dev and they give you the "green light", you can set up your Q&A/T thread (in the associated Q&A section of the ROM) using the template from HERE.

Ex:

ROM OP [ROM][D850]CyanogenMod 11 OFFICIAL Nightlies [4.4.4 KitKat]

I then set the following Q&A up and had a FSM (within that device section) assign the thread to timmytim. Most FSM will be able to help you with this, but in many cases, it may take a SM to make alterations. SMs can be found here

Q&A [ROM][D850] CyanogenMod 11 OFFICIAL Nightly [4.4.4 KitKat] Q&A

thanks to @timmytim for the example thread's

It is important to know
In many cases the Dev will need your assistance/knowledge regarding the how to steps, required, to assign a special Q&A within their DevDB.

Point of imterest
From the Development section you can see DevDBs yet to be assigned a Q&A thread.
Dev%20DB%20without%20Q%26A%20attached.PNG
The last image in the following ~Here are the steps for the Dev~ shows the difference, once a Dev has assigned a Q&A.

These are ALL free game for YOU to approach the Devs within your section, to offer the Q&A thread set up.

Here are the steps for the Dev
  • Find the ROM thread code.

In the address bar for the ROM, you will find a # (with a letter preceding it)

Link%20used%20to%20connect%20ROM%20to%20Q%26A.PNG

This # will need to be copied for later

• Enter the Edit project

Edit%20Project.PNG

• Next scroll down to the to the Filtering Options

DevDB%20Q%26A%20choice.PNG

• Paste the # saved from the address bar above, into the box next to "Filtering on (Custom)"
  • Click Apply

DevDB%20save%20changes.PNG

• The following will now show in the Development section for that ROM

DevDB%20Q%26A%20in%20title%20bar2.png

Last edited:

kuzibri

Oct 25, 2008
Hi all,

first of all: Welcome to our live/public Q&A Threads for ROM's, Kernels and Projects :good: Hoping for a huge response,

kindest regards, Kuzibri

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

video explaining the new initiative will go here, when i get my permission

Hi my dear friend,

go ahead and upload your video :good:

kindest regards, Kuzibri

kuzibri

Oct 25, 2008
Post #4 totally revamped

Hi my dear friends,

since we have gone public, Tony suggested to abandon the OP names, used in our private thread, as posters of a Q&A/T thread, but to change it to Device wise published threads. I think that his suggestion is very good, so I totally revamped post #4 of this thread. Hope you like it.

kindest regards, Kuzibri

EDIT: revamped it again after new suggestion of Tony!! Also reserved some extra posts for future use, otherwise post #4 will become very long and cluttered.

kindest regards, Kuzibri

Last edited:

kuzibri

Oct 25, 2008
Last edited:
Reactions: DesertHawk

kuzibri

Oct 25, 2008
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts