10th May 2011, 08:26 AM |#112  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,164

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyg7

Tried the app on my DHD using the latest version of MIUI and the radio doesn't seem to work....

Does this work with MIUI?
Anyone else having problems?

I can try MIUI.

But I'm new to MIUI and a bit confused. I hope we're talking about "Official MIUI" and not some derivative.

I went to http://www.miuiandroid.com/roms/ and downloaded Deodex "HTC Desire HD 1.5.6" : http://deodex.miuiandroid.com/miuiandroid_DHD-1.5.6.zip

But I also see http://en.miui.com/a-1.html and DHD http://en.miui.com/a-57.html which leads to http://bigota.d.miui.com/miui_DHD23_1.3.25_2.3.zip , It's downloading now very slowly.

Which one is the latest/best ? DHD-1.5.6 or DHD23_1.3.25_2.3 ?

I opened the first zip file and there is no MIUI FM app, nor is there an hcitool in the bin directory. As a possible plus, there is no btld (As on my stock DHD), but there IS a brcm_patchram_plus . I think the latter has a switch which may enable HCI.
10th May 2011, 08:57 AM |#113  
Flag Naples
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

------------------------------
lupoalberto12:
>I tried it on my Wildfire but it doesn't work.

Do you get any indication of signal strength when set to a strong frequency ?

Sorry, I didn't read that it running only on CyanogenMod ROM.
I tried it on Wildfire with Froyo 2.2.1 stock no root (unfortunately).
However, the app didn't notice nothing.
Shall I make other tests?
I would like to use it.
Thank.
Bye!
! !
10th May 2011, 08:58 AM |#114  

Donate to Me
More
Folks:

I'm very happy with, and very much appreciate the reception my app has gotten.

But I have some decisions to make on how to allocate my time. I'm just one person, trying to do a task that Google rejected a year or so ago, due to lack of developer resources. (LOL.) And my life has been on hold the last several months so I need to spend a bit less time on this.

I spent much of today loading a new stock ROM on my DHD and trying, once again, to find some way of accessing HCI, but was again unsuccessful. So that's a full workday gone with no real results.

On my Legend, it took me 3 weeks to "reverse engineer" the audio routing issues, but I imagine I could do it faster now with the knowledge gained.

My point is that research and "reverse engineering" can be done, but it can take a LONG and indeterminate amount of time.

So I feel that I should probably concentrate on fixing and improving the basic app itself, and ask for "community support" in figuring out the requirements for operating on all the combinations of devices and ROMs. The lifecycle of smartphones is so short, I find it amazing; what 6-12 months ? At least there are many similarities between the generations.

I can try to provide some tools and documentation on what is required. I could create an API that simple drivers could be created for. I contrast simple with the elaborate Android FM API being created by SonyEricsson. BTW, I'll be happy to support that API just as soon as there is an Android phone supporting that API that I can beg, borrow or otherwise acquire.

Version 1 of my app had a relatively simple API provided by such shell script files as "on", "off", "tune", "volume set" etc. I could create a similar working API with working examples.

I'm happy to get your input on this, but I think most with an unsupported phone will likely want me to support that phone, and others will want specific features or improvements since their phone/ROM combo is working now.

I COULD freeze my app as it is now, with known and unknown bugs, and certain UI ugly spots, and a lack of certain features. I COULD spend the rest of my life trying to make various phone/ROM combos work and I'd never be finished.

But I think the approach I outline is better overall. Ask your ROM provider or other technically knowledgeable people how FM could be supported, as it is on those "other" phones.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
10th May 2011, 09:00 AM |#115  
Beyond The Thunderdome
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Might have to check this app out

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
10th May 2011, 09:04 AM |#116  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupoalberto12

Sorry, I didn't read that it running only on CyanogenMod ROM.
I tried it on Wildfire with Froyo 2.2.1 stock no root (unfortunately).
However, the app didn't notice nothing.
Shall I make other tests?
I would like to use it.
Thank.
Bye!
! !

A stock HTC ROM ? No it would very likely NOT work. Stock HTC ROMs don't have hcitool, nor any easy way I know of to access HCI.

If anyone could tell me how to access HCI on stock HTC ROMs the number of phones my app could work on would increase dramatically. The Wildfire has a Broadcom FM chip, which I DO support, but it also has a proprietary Broadcom BT stack, with, AFAICT, no Bluez library HCI support.
10th May 2011, 09:07 AM |#117  
Flag Colombo
Thanks Meter: 416

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinny899

You'd have found it doesn't get much signal anyway, my 2.3.4 GT540 doesn't.

Sent from my GT540 using XDA App

I doubt it's the lack of signal. There are some stations where I live which are pretty strong. I don't get static even.

I will try the news update from y'day.
10th May 2011, 10:16 AM |#118  
Flag Melbourne, Oz
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0epkip

Thanks a lot for your work and updates on the app!

I also would love to see this working with the BT stack on the Gingerbread releases of MIUI... bit weird that they dropped FM-Radio support while they brought it to CM7!

You rock, keep on rollin'

Does anyone know which module(s) make up the BT stack - I see libbluedroid.so, libbluetooth.so and libbluetoothd.so as well as the bluez-plugin in MIUI

I would try pulling the stack off a ROM that has the FM radio working and slip that into MIUI if I knew which modules are involved.
10th May 2011, 11:03 AM |#119  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbes

Does anyone know which module(s) make up the BT stack - I see libbluedroid.so, libbluetooth.so and libbluetoothd.so as well as the bluez-plugin in MIUI

I would try pulling the stack off a ROM that has the FM radio working and slip that into MIUI if I knew which modules are involved.

There are also the daemons:

adb shell "ps | grep -e bt -e blue"
root 263 2 0 0 c0094ce8 00000000 S bluetooth
bluetooth 1216 1 1292 744 c00f1b30 afd0eb0c S /system/bin/dbus-daemon
root 2205 2204 20016 2200 ffffffff afd0ec9c S /system/bin/btld
root 2221 1 1684 900 c00f1b30 afd0eb0c S /system/bin/bluetoothd
app_26 2370 1209 176364 22592 ffffffff afd0ec9c S com.android.bluetooth
system 2378 1209 175268 20856 ffffffff afd0ec9c S com.broadcom.bt.app.system

I'd guess dbus-daemon is generic, and perhaps bluetoothd, and maybe others. The hciattach is generic Bluez (but perhaps with a few mods). The TI equivalent seems to be btipsd, and for Broadcom, either brcm_patchram_plus or btld.

Then there's a few config files including /init*.rc

And perhaps there are some hooks into other parts of Android also...

I wish you luck but if it were easy, the open source Bluez stack would be regularly swapped in. It seems like a job more for ROM "chefs", and even they seem to often be baffled about this.

One nice thing about CM is that AFAICT just about everything is open source, whereas most stock ROMs, and many 3rd party ROMs, seem to use the proprietary TI or Broadcom stacks as binary blobs. What goes on inside btld is largely a mystery, betrayed/laid open in part mostly by the large volume of ascii strings inside.

The TI and Broadcom daemons seem to have LOTS of functions inside them, including many for FM control and monitoring. The HTC FM app seems to use these functions, and thus it is dependent on them; This may be one reason why HTC continues to use them. Nobody wants to re-write an app from "scratch", especially if they will have to maintain two apps/APIs for some time.

The HTC device specific functions are called from code in the android_runtime library. There are enough layers I get dizzy just thinking about them, LOL. In theory I could rev-engineer the HTC FM APIs and have an app that would likely work on all stock, and many 3rd party, HTC(like) ROMs for all HTC phones. But thats too many undocumented functions to support that could change at any time, or be different on different devices in hard to determine ways.
10th May 2011, 01:12 PM |#120  
Android Hell
Thanks Meter: 138

More
I confirm working of this FM on LG optimus one cm7. Beta 6.3 gingerbread 2.3.3 as before some one said its not working.
I can hear radio now with spoon fork as antenna with one spoke little inside headset plug. The RDS is not working though.. but may be we don't have RDS here.

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Premium App
10th May 2011, 01:21 PM |#121  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

I can try MIUI.

But I'm new to MIUI and a bit confused. I hope we're talking about "Official MIUI" and not some derivative.

I went to http://www.miuiandroid.com/roms/ and downloaded Deodex "HTC Desire HD 1.5.6" : http://deodex.miuiandroid.com/miuiandroid_DHD-1.5.6.zip

But I also see http://en.miui.com/a-1.html and DHD http://en.miui.com/a-57.html which leads to http://bigota.d.miui.com/miui_DHD23_1.3.25_2.3.zip , It's downloading now very slowly.

Which one is the latest/best ? DHD-1.5.6 or DHD23_1.3.25_2.3 ?

I opened the first zip file and there is no MIUI FM app, nor is there an hcitool in the bin directory. As a possible plus, there is no btld (As on my stock DHD), but there IS a brcm_patchram_plus . I think the latter has a switch which may enable HCI.

Hi
Im using miui 1.5.6 v2 downloaded from the htc desire hd specific forum here..

It hasn't got any fm radio app and am unsure why.

That's why I was hoping your app worked..

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using XDA Premium App
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
spirit fm radio receiver ota

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)