[IMG] n2T-Recovery - Nook Simple Touch - Factory Restore / Recovery [v:0.2 17.11.11]

Search This thread

raster77

Oct 30, 2010
thanks for the quick reply, i triedut after all the things we did with the customer service, i can't still register...

raster77

Oct 30, 2010
Error
Sorry we're having trouble setting up your Nook. Please shutdown the device and try again.

If the problem persists, contact customer Support.

I just have Device info or power off

ninobrn99

May 8, 2011
I was tried to root my nook and then it froze on me and rebooted. Now it is on the 5 dot screen going through a boot look. I didnt back it up or anything either. I tried to download both of the links at the top, but neither are working. I've been searching online for an image file and have had no luck! How do I restore my nook with my current serial and mac address?

Thanks in advance,
Nino

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
Sorry, the server hosting the images is down, I'll upload them to an alternate location and update the main post shortly.

ninobrn99

May 8, 2011
Sorry, the server hosting the images is down, I'll upload them to an alternate location and update the main post shortly.

I managed to find your 1.0.1 image and have it up and running (I was up until 5am trying to get it from the endless bootloop!!! :() My only issue now is getting the market to work. Every time I tap it, it goes back to the main screen.

Jan 10, 2011
Is it normal to do this method but get your Nook to 1.1 rather than 1.0? I bought my Nook yesterday if it makes any difference. Did I just mess up the process?

ninobrn99

May 8, 2011
Is it normal to do this method but get your Nook to 1.1 rather than 1.0? I bought my Nook yesterday if it makes any difference. Did I just mess up the process?

I dont think it matters if you restore with 1.0.0 or 1.0.1, you can always download the 1.1 update and install it after you have it up and running.

If you're asking if you can update to 1.1, then root it, yes.

Jan 10, 2011
I dont think it matters if you restore with 1.0.0 or 1.0.1, you can always download the 1.1 update and install it after you have it up and running.

If you're asking if you can update to 1.1, then root it, yes.

No, I mean when I bought my Nook, it was on 1.1, and I tried to root it, messed some stuff up, decided to do a recovery to try again. I did so, and even after recovery, I was at 1.1, my Nook was never at anything lower.

I'm just curious if that is normal, or if the Nook was supposed to go down to 1.00 or 1.01 after recovery.

In the first post, it says "If all went well you should see the factory restore screen popping up in 10-20 seconds after reboot, and you'll be back to 1.0.0* when it's finished", which wasn't the case for me.

So I'm curious as to whether I did it wrong.

fanboy

Mar 23, 2008
Ok. I have the same situation. When I wanted to backup it with nookgie img it mounted only 2 partitions - one 1,82Gb or something like that but I couldn't see the files from it . Backuped that one and then stucked on rooted forever and after that nothing worked. So, for sure my nook now is empty. Last thing I tried is clockworkmod and after installing zip from sd didn't wanted to reboot. So please help me also :p. Thank you.

Same issue here, not what I did wrong, took a nook backup, tried a root image, stuck at rooted forever afterwards. I tried n2t 1 and 2, now I get an "Install failed" screen and nothing that I try seems to work.

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
No, I mean when I bought my Nook, it was on 1.1, and I tried to root it, messed some stuff up, decided to do a recovery to try again. I did so, and even after recovery, I was at 1.1, my Nook was never at anything lower.

I'm just curious if that is normal, or if the Nook was supposed to go down to 1.00 or 1.01 after recovery.

In the first post, it says "If all went well you should see the factory restore screen popping up in 10-20 seconds after reboot, and you'll be back to 1.0.0* when it's finished", which wasn't the case for me.

So I'm curious as to whether I did it wrong.

If your NST shipped with 1.1.0 then it makes sense that it's still at 1.1.0 after doing a Factory Restore.

A NST shipped with 1.0.0 will go back to 1.0.0 after Restore because that's the version it was shipped with on the "Factory" partition which is used for the Restore process.
This "Factory" partition is not updated when applying the 1.0.1 or 1.1.0 updates.

erreur404

Nov 16, 2007
wiki.lowgeek.net
Hi, all

Do you thinks it's possible to create n2T-Recovery_0.3 (including cleaning /data)

Why ?

Because this WE, When I was cleaning my nook: impossible de release a factory reset whis the settings entry in my nook.

The cache in /data (1.1) was not clean and no functionnal with the recovered nook in (1.0).

So, after search on xda, I fount it's possible to execute factory reset with press all navigations key and press power.

And now it's ok

But I thinks it's not user frendly, and I suppose n2T-Recovery_0.3 can be genereted for reset all the xoom (/boot /data and OS).

Sorry mi english is not good ... but I'll like to share my idea/request with you

mansol

Mar 18, 2008
Ok, check your PM in a few minutes.

I want to thank you for all the help to revive my nook. I can't express my gratitude in words. And guys, if your backup of the nook is under 500MB, than is a wrong made backup. Be careful. Linux is better to backup a disk. (DD command)

wajanus

Jan 4, 2011
Houston
about.me
I tried the tool. I had a boot problem (was stuck at "forever rooted") and tried everything i could, never got anywhere. I tried the v0.1, didn't work. And I just tried v0.2, booted into it fine (just like v0.1) but when I reboot the nook two minutes later, I'm stuck where i was before: stuck on the "forever rooted" screen. Any suggestions?

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
I tried the tool. I had a boot problem (was stuck at "forever rooted") and tried everything i could, never got anywhere. I tried the v0.1, didn't work. And I just tried v0.2, booted into it fine (just like v0.1) but when I reboot the nook two minutes later, I'm stuck where i was before: stuck on the "forever rooted" screen. Any suggestions?

Maybe you can say a little about how your device ended up in that state in the first place? :)

wajanus

Jan 4, 2011
Houston
about.me
oh, sorry. I used one of the first TouchNooters releases after the NST came out (about a month). I followed the instructions, rebooted my nook and it was stuck on "Rooted Forever" ever since then.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [DISCLAIMER] Images are provideded "as is", use at your own risk!

[NOTE] This project is no longer maintained!

Quite a few people seem to end up in non-bootable-states (myself included) when trying to root/app/tweak etc..
    So I made a couple of images that will help you trigger Factory Restore on your Nook Simple Touch.

Compability:
    Nook Simple Touch - [1.0.0], [1.0.1], [1.1.0]

Requirements:
    - A microSD card of atleast 128MB of size (existing data will be lost)
    - Make sure your NST is charged! A failed root will drain your NST quickly without you noticing it!

Tools:
    - Windows: win32 Disk Imager
    - Linux: d'uh .. dd
    - Mac: diskutil and dd

Still unsure about tools?, look here

Versions: (You only need one of these depending on how messed up your NST is. Try 0.1 first!)
    - Version 0.1 [Without boot partition restoration] n2T-Recovery_0.1.rar (2MB)
    - Version 0.2 [With boot partition restoration] n2T-Recovery_0.2.rar (16MB)

Usage:
    - Uncompress the image
    - Write the image to your mSD card with one of the tools listed above.
    - Power up your Nook Touch with the mSD card inserted.
    - Follow the instructions displayed on the screen.

If all went well you should see the factory restore screen popping up in 10-20 seconds after reboot, and you'll be back to the version your NST was originally shipped with* when it's finished.

If it doesn't, please share your "detailed" story in this thread and feel free to PM me, I've restored quite a few "hopeless" cases :)

[*] Factory Restore doesn't wipe your /data

Update:
    26.11.2012 - Added new download links
    28.01.2012 - Moved files to new server

Changelog:
    [0.1]
    - Initial release

[0.2]
    - Rewrites boot partition before triggering Factory Restore

Credits:
    - Based on Nook Simple Touch 1.0.0 boot partition
    - Made possible by Noogie image by nookDevs
    Scary!

But good solution when everything else fails. Thanks!

Nothing scary about it, it only writes to a single file on your N2 to trick it into believing there has been 8 missed boot attempts. :)
    That is good to know, because timed things on smartphone and the like is a usual way to messy results. Try putting an iphone in DFU mode in order to jailbreak it...

Ah I see your point, but there's really no timing involved with this process.
    Cleaned up the instructions a little, thank you.
    Answers -
    1. By "hanging" I meant it's stuck on the last little bit of writing the restore img - never quite finishes.

Ok, so the factory restore got triggered but didn't complete, wonder why.
    Did you try to trigger restore again?

I'm gonna look into adding more advanced recovery options to the tool.

2. Just go to BN site and you can download "update.zip 1.01" for the Touch - it gets applied by placing on the root of the internal memory and booting up

Yes I know, but you said you wrote it to sdcard with winimage, which didn't make any sense :)