[NTG][1.2]GlowNooter 1.12.25

Search This thread

glowco

Oct 8, 2010
NJ
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I really care about Market. One more question - do I need Gapps in order to install Google Maps? I think I tried and failed, but not sure if it was just a bad apk I got from somewhere.

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I really care about Market. One more question - do I need Gapps in order to install Google Maps? I think I tried and failed, but not sure if it was just a bad apk I got from somewhere.

You have to have Gapps/Market for Maps to work, TouchNooter adds in all the required things for Maps, you just have to install from market.

Aurtach

Feb 19, 2009
Masan, South Korea
Using an alternative keyboard could fix it, the major issue is finding an alternative keyboard that is e-ink friendly. This tends to be broken in the app itself, because I have noticed the Google Voice app will do the same exact thing on nook devices.

Tried out swiftkey x and now have full keyboard use. Switched it to the white theme and it works fairly well. Now if I can just get it to not pop up the letter whenever I hit a key. Swiftkey doesn't pop up the letter on my phone so I am pretty sure this is something that you can disable, but haven't been able to find that option in the settings. Oh well, it doesn't bother me too much.

Last edited:

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
I'm not sure if I'm getting all the benefit of them, but the nook touch tools are working on my glowworm as far as letting me remap the page up / page down buttons for 'lefthanded' use - I find that layout more intuitive when reading articles in newsrob, for paging down the screen quickly.

EDIT: But, this is a tinynooted glowworm, and that rooting approach does not change out the framework.

I have a PM indicating that a glownooted device is not able to use the nook touch tools, yet.

Last edited:

myshyak

May 22, 2009
Kiev
Would also be very interested i seeing NM fully working on our device. Would you be so kind to look on those files? Maybe thay would work?

Reactions: Zorkman

CATCubano

Jun 26, 2011
Anybody have trouble with getting the Opera Mini that comes with this to work? It doesn't even open for me. I installed Dolphin Mini and it seems to work ok but I'd like to get Opera working.

This may be old news, but I got Opera Mini to work. Similar to YouTube in the OP, if you are having trouble with Opera, just go into /data/app and re-install it. It should work fine after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: flagrant8

CATCubano

Jun 26, 2011
I'm curious of if anyone has the Market working correctly? At this point, I have a very limited set of apps available and search basically does not work. Nothing I search ever comes up.

Is this where everyone is at or are others having different experiences?

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
I'm curious of if anyone has the Market working correctly? At this point, I have a very limited set of apps available and search basically does not work. Nothing I search ever comes up.

Is this where everyone is at or are others having different experiences?
Market is inherently broken because of Google's move to "Google Play". You however can go onto the Google Play website select the apps you want to install and they'll install via that method.

Reactions: CATCubano

IBNobody

Sep 20, 2010
I'm able to get the market working... but I can't search for any apps. When I search, it just sits there and does nothing.

I can browse apps just fine.

zbeyuz

Apr 3, 2012
Thanks to your wonderful work, my nook has become more useful now. May I ask you a few questions about this build.
1. Can I remove Music and Youtube, since those apps are useless because Nook Touch doesn't have speaker...
2. The default browser doesn't work, any way to fix it ?

qetuR

Jul 15, 2008
Malmö
I don't know what is up, but I recently got my NST GL and I was actually quite scared about rooting it with this method since ALOT of people are complaining on bricked devices, and bad root installtions that only give partial support. I have rooted alot of Androids during the years and I feel confident with the Clockwork mod, ADB and such tools.

I didn't follow any guide, I just used linux command dd to move the clockwork mod files to the microSD using a SE Xperia Arc S as a card reader. Moved the two files to the root of the microSD card and rooted.

Everything went as it should, many apps didnt work at first, the built in Opera browser didn't work, the usual Browser didnt work, Market didnt work (even with the fix), I tried to rerun the rooting by flashing it again, nothing happend. So I just gave a **** about market and other stuff. The device didnt show up on play.google.com either.

The ****ed up thing is that the apps is starting to work, on by one, first the GMail app, then the browser is starting to get alot less buggy (I however use Opera Mobile). And last, market.

I read some using the stock reader, slept for 8h and started to fool around with ADW settings. In the theme menu I tried to "Get more themes" and the market started! I was thrilled, I imidiately went to play.google.com and my device was recognized.

****, I just love this nook. For $130 a complete tablet with battery life for a month. Kicks the **** out of iPad, for that price. And the E-Ink dispaly is gorgeus.

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
I don't know what is up, but I recently got my NST GL and I was actually quite scared about rooting it with this method since ALOT of people are complaining on bricked devices, and bad root installtions that only give partial support. I have rooted alot of Androids during the years and I feel confident with the Clockwork mod, ADB and such tools.

I didn't follow any guide, I just used linux command dd to move the clockwork mod files to the microSD using a SE Xperia Arc S as a card reader. Moved the two files to the root of the microSD card and rooted.

Everything went as it should, many apps didnt work at first, the built in Opera browser didn't work, the usual Browser didnt work, Market didnt work (even with the fix), I tried to rerun the rooting by flashing it again, nothing happend. So I just gave a **** about market and other stuff. The device didnt show up on play.google.com either.

The ****ed up thing is that the apps is starting to work, on by one, first the GMail app, then the browser is starting to get alot less buggy (I however use Opera Mobile). And last, market.

I read some using the stock reader, slept for 8h and started to fool around with ADW settings. In the theme menu I tried to "Get more themes" and the market started! I was thrilled, I imidiately went to play.google.com and my device was recognized.

****, I just love this nook. For $130 a complete tablet with battery life for a month. Kicks the **** out of iPad, for that price. And the E-Ink dispaly is gorgeus.
The default browser was stripped down and broken by B&N. They wanted it to do one thing really well, and that was allow for logging into Wifi Hotspots that have landing pages. Also had you followed the guide, you would of downloaded and flashed both parts of GlowNooter and market would of worked immediately.

No nooter has been released that breaks the version of hardware/software it was released for, and it is impossible to brick any nook device, the worst that you could do is delete your rom information that allows you to register with B&N.

The only "bad" root installation is from people not following instructions, and/or complaining because the search is broken which is inherently broken because of google's recent updates to play.

mrcpu

Dec 26, 2008
I'm close, but I must be doing something wrong.

have a working 1gig sd card with the cwm image, and the 2 zip files were on the internal SD card.

I got logged in to youtube OK, play store opens, but gmail never syncs, which Ii don't really care about, but I can't get play store to download/update. It keeps wanting to update superuser, but it just gets to "waiting to start", and then just sits there.

The device isn't showing up in play store either.

My BN account is the same email address as my google apps account, but they aren't "linked". if that's possible from the bn website.

I didn't see any errors in the flashing. But I'm not quite there yet.

Any help appreciated.

dr_diem

May 29, 2012
Montreal
I'm close, but I must be doing something wrong.

have a working 1gig sd card with the cwm image, and the 2 zip files were on the internal SD card.

I got logged in to youtube OK, play store opens, but gmail never syncs, which Ii don't really care about, but I can't get play store to download/update. It keeps wanting to update superuser, but it just gets to "waiting to start", and then just sits there.

The device isn't showing up in play store either.

My BN account is the same email address as my google apps account, but they aren't "linked". if that's possible from the bn website.

I didn't see any errors in the flashing. But I'm not quite there yet.

Any help appreciated.
Hi,

The Glowworm uses Android 2.1 that predates Google Play which might explain the issues you're seeing. Most folks instead install a 3rd party Search Market app (search the forums and you'll find it) so as to make the existing Market operate correctly.

Hope this helps,

Ian

CATCubano

Jun 26, 2011
Hi,

The Glowworm uses Android 2.1 that predates Google Play which might explain the issues you're seeing. Most folks instead install a 3rd party Search Market app (search the forums and you'll find it) so as to make the existing Market operate correctly.

Hope this helps,

Ian

+1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Nooter is officially supported by The Nooter Project for Nook Simple Touch

I'm not adding certain things because I don't believe they should be available as part of a rooting kit designed to give users more control of their devices. Things such as additional readers or CPU Clocks are up to the user to install themselves and needlessly putting them in Nooter creates app bloat that a user may or may not want. You can always drop Apps you want into \nooter\data\app and they will install automatically when you root the device. This Nooter is designed with the sole purpose of opening up the possibilities of the device by giving users Root, Google Apps, and other Apps which make the device more usable as an android device than just an e-reader.

• What it does:
      • Enables ADB via uRamdisk
      • Installs adbWireless
      • Installs Button Savior
      • Installs Amazon Marketplace
      • Installs su and Superuser.apk
      • Installs ADW + E-ink Friendly Theme
      • Installs Busybox & Busybox Installer/Uninstaller
      • Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
      • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
    • System Files that get Modified:
      • /system/build.prop - Enabling Google Check In
      • packages.xml - Allows Gapps to install properly.
      • framework.jar - Should allow a proper Android ID to generate.
    • Changes:
      • May 26, 2012 - Initial Release
    • Before you begin:
      1. You must already have a registered Nook Simple Touch Glow
      2. You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
      3. You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
      4. You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Using the Nook Simple Touch can result in it becoming unusable (bricked).
      5. You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

• Let's get started:
      1. Download CWM from here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=806435&d=1323121399
      2. Download TouchNooter from here: glownooter-1-12-25.zip - Uploaded
      3. Download eded333's beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END from here: http://nooter.googlecode.com/files/beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END.zip
      4. Unzip CWM and you'll find an image file you will then need to write this to an SD Card.
      5. Linux: Unzip and use dd if=cwmimagename.img of=/dev/sdcard
      6. Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
      7. Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

8. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
      9. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
      10. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
        • User "n" to select, Left Buttons to go up in the menu, Right Buttons to go down in the menu, Power Button to go back.
        • Install from zip
        • Choose zip from sdcard
        • glownooter-1-5-26.zip
        • Click Yes and let Complete
        • Remove SD Card and press Power Button to go back one to main menu
        • Click Reboot
      11. Upon boot unlock your screen.
      12. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
      13. Enable Location Services when given the option.
      14. Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from ADW's App Drawer (Or the App Drawer of your Choice).
      15. Click the Menu button (The right one in the middle of the status bar).
      16. Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
      17. Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from ADW's App Drawer.
      18. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
      19. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
      20. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
      21. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
        • User "n" to select, Left Buttons to go up in the menu, Right Buttons to go down in the menu, Power Button to go back.
        • Install from zip
        • Choose zip from sdcard
        • beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END.zip
        • Click Yes and let Complete
        • Remove SD Card and press Power Button to go back one to main menu
        • Click Reboot
      22. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.
        • If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

23. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
      24. If your Youtube fails to launch Uninstall and Reinstall Youtube from /data/app
      25. Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

• Thanks To:
      • mali100 - For porting CWM to Nook Simple Touch
      • eded333 - The second zip to fix Market Issues.
      • MrMuffin - For the original Market Hack that we're using.
    • If I'm using an app in TouchNooter and you would like Credit/Thanks, or to have it removed, please PM me, otherwise I might not see your requests

• Currently Working On: Raspberry Pi Triple Boot System
    Download Searchmarket app from a browser. The market search is broken on rooted NST.

I'm able to get the market working... but I can't search for any apps. When I search, it just sits there and does nothing.

I can browse apps just fine.
    Uploading an untested version of a patch that should work for 1.2.x to the nooter download site. I'll link it here and check in on whether it works or not if anyone wants to give it a try.

https://nooter.googlecode.com/files/glownooter-1-12-25.zip

Note: This is untested, it is just a patched framework.jar from the latest 1.2.x update. This may also work on Touch without Glow. This makes no changes to uRamdisk so any "improvements" by B&N to the uRamdisk may be lost. I will further check out the uRamdisk when I have more time on my hands.
    Maybe I should take this opportunity to ask an additional question: what will this root let me do that tinynoot didn't, other than run the Market? What additional apps would it allow me to run that would actually run well?

One app I have partially working on tinynoot is Jabiru, a jabber chat client. The basic chat connection works, but the Conference function crashes the session. I doubt this other root would make a difference in something like that?

Thanks.
    The difference between this and tinynoot IS the fact it has Market on it, you can actually go to google.com/play now and install apps to the device. Other than that there is no major difference.
    I'll try it. Really, all I want to get is the amazon kindle app, the rest of it Ii don't really care about. but when I bring up the amazon app-store, it won't show me the kindle app. For some reason it will show me most everything else.

I tried downloading an amazon kindle apk, but the sites that had it looked kinda scary.

And after messing around a bit more, I realized that my BN account info isn't in settings either. I'm going to try the whole mess again. Can I take a kindle apk from my phone and just copy it to the sdcard and install it?

The newer versions of Kindle won't work on the Glow. The version included below seems to be the latest version that works.