prevent delivery report?

Search This thread

underachiever

Aug 1, 2006
hello all, this is my first post on your forum, i'd like to ask if there's a way to prevent delivery reports to SMS's from being sent when i receive SMS's. I use Call SMS blocker but when i set it to block incoming SMS's the delivery report is sent, so the sender actually knows that his SMS reached its destination. I would really like to able to receive SMS's without sending delivery reports, but i don't know if it can be achieved. I have the v1640.

QuaCKeReD

Jun 12, 2006
Delivery Reports like this are controlled and sent by your telecoms provider, not your device.

When you send an SMS, your device informs you that it has been sent to the network...if necessary, the SMS is transferred to the end users home network and when the SMS is sent from the network to the end users device a delivery report is then sent back to your device (if delivery report was requested in the SMS)

You cant stop it :)

underachiever

Aug 1, 2006
yes i am already aware of that, but i was wandering if somehow i managed to intervene with the reception of SMS's and fool the network into believing that the SMS has not been delivered to me, like when the phone is off for example. There must be some kind of talking between the network and the phone regarding the reception of SMS's.

QuaCKeReD

Jun 12, 2006
The network sends the delivery notification when it sends the SMS to your phone, and it send the SMS to your phone when your phone is visible.

The only way you can stop these notifications is to turn your phone off - you cant intervene with the network provider, they wont let you :) and yyou cant change the standards set for SMS ;)

Lordsmiff

Nov 22, 2005
Glossop
The other thing is, if you managed to somehow stop the network being told you had received the SMS, presumably, it would just keep trying to send it to you.

Ouch!

ameypg

Feb 12, 2010
Goa
There is always a way

After receiving an SMS message, the recipient mobile phone will send back a message delivery report to the SMS center to inform whether there are any errors or failures (example causes: unsupported SMS message format, not enough storage space, etc). This process is transparent to the mobile user. If there is no error or failure, the recipient mobile phone sends back a positive delivery report to the SMS center. Otherwise it sends back a negative delivery report to the SMS center.

If the sender requested a status report earlier, the SMS center sends a status report to the sender when it receives the message delivery report from the recipient.

Once your phone receives the SMS, you can decide whether to block it. In case you wanna block it, the application has to simply send a Storage full / Message format not supported Error to the message station instead of normal status.

There's always a way guys ;)

Last edited:

little master

May 30, 2010
After receiving an SMS message, the recipient mobile phone will send back a message delivery report to the SMS center to inform whether there are any errors or failures (example causes: unsupported SMS message format, not enough storage space, etc). This process is transparent to the mobile user. If there is no error or failure, the recipient mobile phone sends back a positive delivery report to the SMS center. Otherwise it sends back a negative delivery report to the SMS center.

If the sender requested a status report earlier, the SMS center sends a status report to the sender when it receives the message delivery report from the recipient.

Once your phone receives the SMS, you can decide whether to block it. In case you wanna block it, the application has to simply send a Storage full / Message format not supported Error to the message station instead of normal status.

i tried googling.... but can't find such s/w... can u pls help me wid dat.....

gquipster

Feb 3, 2006
Guys,

To the best of my knowledge you'd need to know the exact SMASI interface being used by the operator and then find a public API to be able to call it.

I've done it on a server level in Perl, but not on a device level.

CHD_2017

Sep 3, 2017
I have removed SMS app by rooting my android mobile. I tried to send SMS to that device and guess what? Of course, I did not received any SMS because I had removed SMS app completely by rooting but at the same time my second phone from which I had sent SMS received "delivered" report !!! How come?

HazemSayad

Feb 5, 2016
I have removed SMS app by rooting my android mobile. I tried to send SMS to that device and guess what? Of course, I did not received any SMS because I had removed SMS app completely by rooting but at the same time my second phone from which I had sent SMS received "delivered" report !!! How come?
Hi, i believe that the messages app isn't responsible for the delivery reports process. It is only responsible for showing the sms and sending. I have a messages service app in my phone so i think it is the one responsible for that, or there is another reason. For now I'm still searching and i will try some tinkering in my phone until i achieve a result and the I'll post it on XDA

baptx

May 30, 2020

So sending a failure delivery report to the SMS center will also send a failure delivery report to the recipient mobile phone? This would not be a complete solution to prevent delivery report but a way to prevent a successful delivery report. The sender could still track if the device is connected to the network.
If I remember correctly, I noticed that when some mobile network operators are overwhelmed with SMS, for example at the time of New Year's Eve in France, SMS can be received (sometimes delayed) but no delivery report is sent.
Also, if someone sends an SMS to a mobile phone that is powered off or in flight mode for several days, the SMS may never be delivered. I had this kind of issue with Lycamobile Germany and sometimes the SMS was delayed for several hours if the mobile phone was just powered off or in flight mode for a few minutes while the SMS was sent.

Last edited:

Josiah4

Oct 2, 2020
No there must be some way for real for example u can receive calls while it says your phone is shut down to the caller so if that can be done this can be also.