I got the NEW & UPDATED Lumia 900(Green Dot) Here's what I found different. Good Job!

Search This thread

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
Green sticker simply means it was re-checked for hardware and software issues. The connections issue seemed to be the APN setting being wrong. Who ever check the hardware failed though. On my forth Lumia 900 and only my first one had a good working vibra unit. These other ones sound like metal clanking/rattle when they vibe. Nokia is supposed to call me today at 230 pm to discuss the camera issue, and the volume buttons not working with lock screen, and the vibra units sounding defective.

There are definitly build quality issues for this phone. My 900 often randomly press the BACK or Windows button by itself when fingers are nowhere near those buttons. Very annoying when you're playing a game or watch a video. Need to find time to exchage it. Hope the store I bought from still have them in stock.

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
There are definitly build quality issues for this phone. My 900 often randomly press the BACK or Windows button by itself when fingers are nowhere near those buttons. Very annoying when you're playing a game or watch a video. Need to find time to exchage it. Hope the store I bought from still have them in stock.

There are build/quality issues with every phone. The question will always be...individually, when is enough enough?

The vibration issue, I finally heard it yesterday and now can reproduce it at any time. Its funny, its absolutely horrible on startup, but hardly noticable at any other time. Since I rarely reboot, I'll probably let it slide as long as everything continues to work.

emjlr3

Nov 29, 2011
i must have gotten really lucky

i have not experienced a single issue with my phone - and I have extensively checked for all of the bugs that have been mentioned since the release.

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
i must have gotten really lucky

i have not experienced a single issue with my phone - and I have extensively checked for all of the bugs that have been mentioned since the release.

I think most people are in this boat. Let's face it, many people come to sites like this looking for something....and usually find it. I too can say I'm fairly lucky. I am always connected, I'm fast, and I'm happy. But...I didn't hear the vibrate thing until I took the case off and restarted the phone. If I restart it with the case on...I don't hear it. And, the connection issue, I never NOT connect. However, on WIFI, some web sites do not render correctly. The page will connect. I will get the frames and scroll bars, but no content. So far the only wb page this happens on is the XDA page. Once I get that condition, I must switch off WIFI and connect with 4g. It will always connect correctly.

Strange that I can only repro it on the XDA page, but once kicked it, all pages display it. Turning off WIFI will fix this. I'm thinking of returning the device for a new one this week. I spend about 1/2 my time on WIFI, so, unless I simply want to stop reading XDA, I should have it work.

michael_chea7

Jul 21, 2010
First stage or second stage of the camera button? You have to press it all the way down, first stage won't unlock the phone.

I am having the same problem. It worked before the Update, and I am doing a full press. I have tried to change the setting to not enable and then re-enable it but it still does not work. I have noticed that it will work from the Lock Screen but it will not work from the screen being off. Has anybody who has had this problem had a chance to do a hard reset on their phone? I have not had time to test that out yet.

Last edited:

yipcanjo

Apr 2, 2008
Seattle, WA
I am having the same problem. It worked before the Update, and I am doing a full press. I have tried to change the setting to not enable and then re-enable it but it still does not work. I have noticed that it will work from the Lock Screen but it will not work from the screen being off. Has anybody who has had this problem had a chance to do a hard reset on their phone? I have not had time to test that out yet.

I was having this issue as well -- even after the update from this past Friday -- and then I noticed that I still had "Prevent accidental camera launch when phone is locked" switched to ON. I turned that OFF, went back to the home screen, locked the phone (screen off) and tried again...but no luck. Eventually I powered down the phone and back on again. It's worked every single time since that power cycle.

Hope that helps someone out there...

Seed 2.0

Oct 26, 2010
OH-IO

This problem with the camera was evident before and after the update. If you think your phone is working then try this;

1. Lock screen then press camera button all the way down and hold till camera wakes. If it took more then 2 seconds then it is not working to spec.

2. If it unlocked with in 2 seconds then immediately lock screen again and repeat to see if it works again. A lot of people have gotten the phone to wake once but not a second + time.

If some people phones are working every single time then they are indeed lucky and Nokia is looking at a hardware issue not a software issue.

The camera button waking the phone from ANY STATE has been one of the top 3 selling points of WP7 since it launched. Microsoft made sure to clamp down the patents for it. Unless Nokia can fix this issue along with a couple other issues then I doubt I'll keep my Lumia 900. I'll wait till fall and see what WP8 handsets are offered.

My Gen 1 Samsung Focus, though lacking a few features is twice as responsive as the newer faster processor of the Lumia 900. Maybe The 1GB Ram over 512MB does make a bigger difference then the .4Ghz processor power.

digitaldodd

Aug 27, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I've noticed that if I push the camera button down hard from the lock screen, the camera won't wake up. But if I gently push on camera button half-way and then proceed to press down the rest of the way, it will always wake up. I've tested this over and over and it's very consistent in its behavior.

michael_chea7

Jul 21, 2010
I've noticed that if I push the camera button down hard from the lock screen, the camera won't wake up. But if I gently push on camera button half-way and then proceed to press down the rest of the way, it will always wake up. I've tested this over and over and it's very consistent in its behavior.

I have just tested this out on my phone and it indeed works. It is weird though, I only have to half press then full press when the phone is locked and screen is off. But when the phone is locked and the lock screen is displayed I can just do a full press and it will unlock.

Seed 2.0

Oct 26, 2010
OH-IO
Well according to tier 3 Nokia tech support based in Dallas,Texas neither the camera button nor the volume buttons are supposed to work under the lock screen, or as she puts it " Black Screen ". She told me that my phone works just like hers and there for mine was not broken. The biggest waist of 1.5 hours ever. She had me go through the ##634# testing grounds. All my buttons work. Which I already knew. What doesn't work is the camera waking up the phone every time I need it, or the volume buttons working with out me taking the phone out of my pocket and turning it on before lowering or raising the volume. At least she could even tell over the phone that the Vibra unit sounded horrible. I was instructed to email my receipt and they would contact me again. So after they verify I didn't steal a phone from some one I hope they are willing to replace it with a working unit.

lovenokia

Sep 1, 2011
i have a number of hardware issues with my nokia lumia 900, and if att wont exchange my phone, then i will ask for a change of color worst scenario. My camera button doesnt work, there will be random moments where i get insane amount of lag etc. Gonna exchange tomorrow morning, as a hardcore nokia fan, this is very disappointing but if the problem still persists then i may think about the htc titan 2.

Seed 2.0

Oct 26, 2010
OH-IO
Just noticed a new issue, hope some others can test. Under settings>sounds>turn vibrate off. On my phone vibration still works with it turned off when hitting the back button and once when getting a call, on the first ring.

ohyamon

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego
As for the camera button not waking the phone, you have to make sure your not covering the light sensor. This is an intended feature to prevent the camera from activating in your pocket or purse. If you hold the phone horizontally with your left thumb or index finger covering the light sensor while pressing the shutter button the camera will not activate, I'm sure that is why some of you see intermittent results. That being said, just make sure your left hand is grasping around the perimeter when you press the shutter button. Test it yourselves. "Your just holding it wrong" hehe

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

jimski

Jan 11, 2009
Florida
Just noticed a new issue, hope some others can test. Under settings>sounds>turn vibrate off. On my phone vibration still works with it turned off when hitting the back button and once when getting a call, on the first ring.
Not sure about incoming calls, but you can't turn off the haptic feedback (vibration) on the three bottom buttons.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jimski

Jan 11, 2009
Florida
i have a number of hardware issues with my nokia lumia 900, and if att wont exchange my phone, then i will ask for a change of color worst scenario. My camera button doesnt work, there will be random moments where i get insane amount of lag etc. Gonna exchange tomorrow morning, as a hardcore nokia fan, this is very disappointing but if the problem still persists then i may think about the htc titan 2.
If you use the Diagnostics tool and the camera button responds repeatedly, then you "don't" have a hardware problem. And where are you experiencing lag. In an app or on the Start screen. For example, I get lag when using Board Express, but this app sucks, so I am not surprised. I am sure Nokia will get around to all the little nits affecting the L900. But do what have to do.

jimski

Jan 11, 2009
Florida
Well according to tier 3 Nokia tech support based in Dallas,Texas neither the camera button nor the volume buttons are supposed to work under the lock screen, or as she puts it " Black Screen ". She told me that my phone works just like hers and there for mine was not broken. The biggest waist of 1.5 hours ever. She had me go through the ##634# testing grounds. All my buttons work. Which I already knew. What doesn't work is the camera waking up the phone every time I need it, or the volume buttons working with out me taking the phone out of my pocket and turning it on before lowering or raising the volume. At least she could even tell over the phone that the Vibra unit sounded horrible. I was instructed to email my receipt and they would contact me again. So after they verify I didn't steal a phone from some one I hope they are willing to replace it with a working unit.
By running the Diagnostics you proved, as I did, that the buttons not responding is "not" a hardware issue. So most likely, in the long run, any replacement phone will eventually have the same problem. Probably a combination of things that bring this about. A soft reset usually gets mine working again, for a few days. I am certain Nokia will address these issues soon.

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo

Thats not true. Even says so on their sight somewhere. The Camera button will work froma lock screen....mine does. A Camera button will NOT work from the Power Off position.

Someone is making stuff up.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

As for the camera button not waking the phone, you have to make sure your not covering the light sensor. This is an intended feature to prevent the camera from activating in your pocket or purse. If you hold the phone horizontally with your left thumb or index finger covering the light sensor while pressing the shutter button the camera will not activate, I'm sure that is why some of you see intermittent results. That being said, just make sure your left hand is grasping around the perimeter when you press the shutter button. Test it yourselves. "Your just holding it wrong" hehe

Again, this is not true. You can cover the entire phone. Pressing the camera button 'correctly' should activate the camera from a lock screen. You may only get a black screen but, it will vibrate and turn on.

With that said, I have seen some 3rd party screen protectors block just enough of the sensors to defeat the purpose of the sensors. But thats not the same as button press=no activation of camera.

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

This problem with the camera was evident before and after the update. If you think your phone is working then try this;

1. Lock screen then press camera button all the way down and hold till camera wakes. If it took more then 2 seconds then it is not working to spec.

2. If it unlocked with in 2 seconds then immediately lock screen again and repeat to see if it works again. A lot of people have gotten the phone to wake once but not a second + time.

If some people phones are working every single time then they are indeed lucky and Nokia is looking at a hardware issue not a software issue.

The camera button waking the phone from ANY STATE has been one of the top 3 selling points of WP7 since it launched. Microsoft made sure to clamp down the patents for it. Unless Nokia can fix this issue along with a couple other issues then I doubt I'll keep my Lumia 900. I'll wait till fall and see what WP8 handsets are offered.

My Gen 1 Samsung Focus, though lacking a few features is twice as responsive as the newer faster processor of the Lumia 900. Maybe The 1GB Ram over 512MB does make a bigger difference then the .4Ghz processor power.

I think you're probably correct. You should probably return the 900. If you're irritated enough now, it won't get much better. If its hardware on your device..constant exchanges until you get it right might help. But how long will that take.

As far as responsiveness, I try not to count Home screen scroll speed as a response measure. But alot of people do. Out side of this, I find the Lumia 900 more responsive than the Samsung Focus S, except for scrolling on home screen. In fact, the Focus S has a faster home screen scroll and will see the 5ghz wifi range where the 900 will not. Other than that, the 900 is better. In fact, my wife and I did the 'Your Focus S got smoked by Nokia test' and the Lumia won every time...except for screen scrolling speed.

ohyamon

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego
I'm not quite sure why you state that my post is incorrect. Have you tried it? I just tried it multiple times and my phone responds exactly as I said. Now, this depends on if the "prevent accidental launch" is turned on. If I cover the sensor with my thumb and press the camera button the camera never launches until I uncover the sensor. If this feature is turned off, my phone launches the camera repeatedly no matter if the sensor is uncovered or not. I think people need to check the state of this toggle in order to determine if there is an actual problem with their hardware.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got the NEW & UPDATED Lumia 900(Green Dot) Here's what I found different. Good Job!

Just got home with the updated Lumia 900. They are identified by a green dot sticker on the IMEI label of the At&t box. Let me say right off the bat, the " Memory Management " issue in my humble opinion affected more then the connection issues; or I had defective hardware with my first Lumia 900.

1. The touch response is now equal to that of my Samsung Focus. One to two thumb swipes gets me top to bottom of the home screen. THANK YOU!!!

2. My WiFi will auto connect once I reenter a WiFi area I had accessed before with out me hitting " Connect"

3. Camera wakes phone up from sleep every time. It also wakes up faster then it did before.

4. When I have several apps open and I uses the back button to get back to the home screen, the phone no longer hangs on any one page, it simple flies through each till arriving at the home page.

5. The boot up time and shut down time of the phone has increase dramatically.

6. The response of the back button its self is better in general.

7. Looks like more web pages have been added to the stock favorites, Support pages via Nokia and AT&t.

8. None of the Version numbers changed, i.e OS, Firmware, Hardware, Radio Software, Bootloader, Chip SOC.

I'll post here if I find other differences. They told me at the store more then once the update is coming out on Monday, the 16th.