We have got root acces

Search This thread

JJnJ

Jan 24, 2011
Unfortunatelly nobody seems to get root, i will try to find out why it worked for me...

I got root acces (and so did a friend of mine) but for some weird reason nobody else seems to get it with the steps i posted. I will explain step by step what i did and had on my pc while gaining root acces:

- I am working on a fresh Windows 7 64 bit pc
- I have never had any lg software installed on it (just formated my hard drives and re installed Windows)
- I have a stock non-branded Dutch LG p-880
- I connected my phone, put it in USB-Debugging mode
- Found out not all of the drivers where installed correctly
- Went to the LG website, downloaded and installed the LGMobile support tool
- In the support tool i went to instal drivers (at the right top), whent to the LGP-880 and double clicked for installing the drivers
- I had the phone connectivity switched on at LG PC Software
- Then i ran the root.bat file and nothing happend
- Changed the phone's connectivity to Charging only and ran the boot.bat file again and that did the trick.

First off all I have to mention i didn't do any development at all and credits go to kennethpenn for his ''One Click HTC One X (AT&T/Rogers/Others) (Win/Mac/Linux) root'' and to one of my close friends for telling me about the tool.

I just wanted to find out how to get root and thought, why not? So i started the script and it gave me root acces, installed SU and a Busybox.

This is how to do it:

- Download and install the LG Optimus 4x HD drivers from the LGMobile Support Tool (you can download it from LG's website or download it here) Start the program, at the top right corner press install drivers and look for the LG P880 then double klick
- Download kennethpenn's root tool here and extract it to a folder you want
- Plug your device in your computer and turn USB Debugging on: Settings, developer options, USB Debugging. Make sure your connection option is set to charge only.
- Now double click root.bat
- Your device will restart a couple of times and congratulations: You've got root

I did all of this without installing/using lg pc suite

As always, i am not responsible (neither is kennethpenn) for bricking your device.

You can find the original thread here

14-07-12+-+1

Last edited:

pintness

May 27, 2009
The original thread says it's for HTC One X.

edit: I tried serveral times, doesn't work for me. :(

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

DON'T TOUCH THE DEVICE OR UNPLUG WHILE ROOTING!
PUSH FILES
failed to copy 'busybox' to '/data/local/busybox': Permission denied
failed to copy 'su' to '/data/local/su': Permission denied
failed to copy 'Superuser.apk' to '/data/local/Superuser.apk': Permission denied

Unable to chmod /data/local/busybox: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /data/local/su: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /data/local/Superuser.apk: No such file or directory
failed on '/data/local/tmp' - Permission denied
link failed File exists

REBOOT

and so on...

Last edited:

JJnJ

Jan 24, 2011
I tried 3 times, all failed :(
I'm on V10b
What FW are on?
V10b. Are you sure you installed the drivers correctly? I installed them with the LGMobile Support tool (you can download it at LG's website orhere)
Start the program, at the top right corner press install drivers and look for the LG P880 then double klick. Reconnect your phone and try again

Last edited:

ianford10

May 22, 2010
Serious? Need to try but can't until tomoz, anyone else tried with success?

Sent from my LG-P880 using xda premium

JJnJ

Jan 24, 2011
didn't work for me either, i changed a lot, i even cannot push to /data/local - only to /data/local/tmp,
so i changed the pathes and such in the script, didnt' work :(

Very strange, im on v10b Dutch stock version. Did everything on the first post and it worked within 5 minutes. All you guys installed the driver via the LGMobile software tool?

You can also try with uninstalling lg pc sync and then selecting your phones connectivity to lg software ?

I used Windows 7 64

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Last edited:

MoYo

Jul 17, 2007
FFM
www.MyMoYo.net
Sry ... but this wont work.
The "data/local/" folder is locked.
Only "data/local/tmp" is open.
Possible that it worked for you... but not for most users ... no chance.

ianford10

May 22, 2010
Nope not working, maybe you have a developer device :)

Sent from my LG-P880 using xda premium

rainbow2112

Feb 20, 2010
Rome
www.smartphone-magazine.com
V10b. Are you sure you installed the drivers correctly? I installed them with the LGMobile Support tool (you can download it at LG's website orhere)
Start the program, at the top right corner press install drivers and look for the LG P880 then double klick. Reconnect your phone and try again

I have done all these steps, i try many time, but no work ( win 7 32bit, V10B doic)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    here is maybe another way to find root hole.

create a ftp server on your machine.
    create a user with name: images and password: images
    in the root of the user images create folder cache
    you can now place a "ota_update.zip" in that folder for late download to your o4x.
    remember that file still needs to be signed :(

on you mobile, you can activate download of that ota_update.zip through hidden dialer menu(8435#*880#)
    and select image updater and enter your ipadress of the pc with the ftp server. and press connect.
    you will see the ota_update.zip as a filesize of X bytes and you can select it.
    selecting it will download and reboot o4x, and enter recovery.
    but for now it fails as it is not signed with LG sig.

but maybe a way to put updates on it, since recovery do not find external sdcard, and we cannot put them onto /cache ourselves.
    i digged into alternate rooting solutions, looking at the diag port which opens through "S/W update" or using hidden menu "CP USB".

i do not know if it helps anyone testing,
    but all commands send using "putty" connecting to serialport at 115200/8/n/1 , needs to by typed twice
    AT%FRSTSTATUS=5
    AT%FRSTSTATUS=5
    before its accepted and changed. and yes, it is not echo'ing what you type
    i havent found much yet, but that i can change some parameters, not sure if any will affect a developer bootup.
    those who want to see it, can check the "logcat" during bootup and you see all the service commands available
    hong kong root failed.... now flash the netherland firmware.... around the world does not come out until the root

in summary:
    v10b Italy FAILED
    v10b Germany FAILED
    v10c Hong Kong FAILED
    v10b Netherland FAILED
    v10a Italy FAILED
    v10b Greece FAILED
    v10b Hungary FAILED
    Sorry that i am not a 4x holder, i got the LTE2(F160-L). It is the sister phone with 4X in LG brands and just released about 2 months ago. But i hope my method can help you guys to root 4X.

I root my LTE2 with these steps:
    1. Download and install the driver of the phone
    2. Download the KDZ file--LG phone update file.
    3. Download the root.zip file and install msxml to run the kdz update.
    4. Run the rooting.bat after unzip the root.zip.
    5. Follow the instruction in the bat.
    5.1 Connect the phone with driver and in debugged mode
    5.2 After the adb push, turn off the phone and turn it to download mode by holding up and down volume key and plugin the USB and press enter in the bat and it stop in a page showing "!!!Iparam=5!!!"
    5.3 open the KDZ update, and try to make a update with KDZ file in mode:cs_emergency type:3GQCT
    5.4 after you see the Iparam=5, back to the bat and press enter. it will run the LTE2Root.exe to the phone
    6. the phone will reboot and get the root.

I also uploaded the root.zip to dropbox, so you guys maybe learn from it and can be root the 4X in later.

h t t p://db.tt/vhtsLvIK
    Check your PMs :)

Also I managed to get busybox installed using JRUMMY's busybox installer. Titanium backup now works on here.

thanks!!

i am sharing the extracted boot.img , here now. it shows that the bug with /data/local is NOT fixed on your mobile, and its no developer model, probably just an earlier firmware, which we could take advantage of if we could get our hands on the download of it.

here is the dumped boot.img (without kernel)

edit:
    got the phone build details: LG-P880-V08c-MAR-12-2012
    so question is HOW can we download the V08c image from the web now?