[Q] Help unbrick AMLogic aml8726-mx tablet

Search This thread

Futaba0rus

Aug 10, 2010
Hi, i want some help with unbricking an aml8726-mx tablet. It's Prestigio Multipad Prime Duo, 7" 1024x600 tablet with 16gb internal storage and micro-sd card slot. It has only Power and + - volume buttons.

I've bricked it by flashing official firmware with default recovery. Entered recovery, made wipe, than installed update.zip from sd card. Progress bar started to move, indicating what process is on the way. And than in about 20%(no real percentage was in that recovery) tablet first freezed and than turned off. From this point there was no reaction on buttons, no display(even no backlight) - nothing. Connecting it to PC made the power on light flashing every 1 second(i guess). No device found by PC. I've tried turning on with - and + pressed, with both, without pressing anything - no luck.

So it was deep brick. Later i have found some info about 5th and 6th pins on NAND chip inside tablet, if those pins are connected to each other, after turning on tablet will be discovered by PC as M6 device. That worked! After hours dancing around AML usb flashing tool i was able to boot some uboot on tablet, started some recovery(not on the screen, it's still black as night), connect to recovery with ADB and trying to flash BOOT, BOOTLOADER and RECOVERY.

What i've tried:
1)adb push boot.img, boot loader.img and recovery.img i get from official firmware for this tablet

2)to make sure what my files now exists on tablet. I've pushed them to /cache/ so
Code:
#cd /cache/
#ls
and ls told me what my .img files are there

3)tried to flash
Code:
#flash_image boot /cache/boot.img

#flash_image bootloader /cache/bootloader.img

#flash_image recovery /cache/recovery.img

And here is a problem - each of those command gave me that:
error scanning partitions exit with code -1

I can't flash bootloaders and recovery. I've googled for days and still dont get it - why that "partition scaning" errors and what should i try.

If anyone can help me with that, or is there some different method of flashing it - i will be highly appreciated. I've used this tablet for less than a week and now it's totally bricked what i can't bring it back to life.

edokt

Aug 27, 2005
Not Working for me

Hi

I try to flash my adndroid box Hd18 V2.2 but it's not working for me
I try with sDhc cards and then a fiend of min said that maybe it's to speed the SDHC format.
So i try with an old SD Card but the same result

The box is always with red LED and somtmes it blinks once.
No image output to tv niegther with HDMi ni with AV cable

Can you help me to resolve my probleme please

Thanks
Ed

Curtmania

Jul 11, 2011
Winnipeg
I have a:
device = G-Box Midnight MX2 rev 2.2
mboard = HD18 v2.2 with dboard = A12 v1.1
no display, blue light

I tried you recovery SD. it did not work.

Is there any other way?

Thanks.

I have this device with a "HD18 V2.21" motherboard and a "A12 v1.1" daughterboard, and the procedure fails for me as well..
It was purchased from DX (SKU# 164039) - Description = "Android 4.0 Google TV Player w/ Wi-Fi / 1GB RAM / 4GB ROM - Black" -- Does not seem to exist at DX anymore

I made some UART logs of the process.. Is it NAND size maybe causing the problem? Much of the weirdness seems related to nand.

I did these steps:

1) - Make sure MX device is powered off and power cable removed.
2) - Insert SD card you just created.
3) - Insert a match or a toothpick to reset hole - you will feel a click. (it is the AV hole in the back)
4) - Power on the MX box by inserting power cable, while holding the match in the reset hole.
5) - It will boot to recovery and start installing ROM.
6) - After finishing it will give 2 errors - these do not matter.

The log from this bootup with sd & match is here:
(XDA's noob filter wont let me post links to the log, so I'll just paste the pastebin post id - add it to the back of their URL after a slash)

PASTEBIN: mKPpab5T

At that point in the process I see the dead droid and the two errors on my HDMI display

7) - Remove power cable and insert it again, the device will boot as MATRICOM MIDNIGHT G-BOX MX2

The Log of this failing is here: (HDMI display stays black, but does get a signal)

PASTEBIN: YuBF0gvU

Anyone have a suggestion how to make this a Matricom device?

mr.raw

Feb 16, 2010
Hi

I try to flash my adndroid box Hd18 V2.2 but it's not working for me
I try with sDhc cards and then a fiend of min said that maybe it's to speed the SDHC format.
So i try with an old SD Card but the same result

The box is always with red LED and somtmes it blinks once.
No image output to tv niegther with HDMi ni with AV cable

Can you help me to resolve my probleme please

Thanks
Ed

I have same problem. Box seems dead.

cougar214

May 16, 2011
Ok. I have tried your burn tool multiple times and no matter HOW I select the files, nothing burns to my sd card. The program opens, shows me all my drives, asks me to select a SOURCE, but no SOURCE can be selected,I:E your Matricom image. All it want's to select, over and over again, is the sd card, nothing more. Some clear instructions on how to even use this program might have been a good idea. Just my opinion, like a$$%^&, everyone has one....lol This program is asking for a disc drive to copy so how are you supposed to select a IMAGE FILE as the source? SOmeone please do tell just in case i somehow went stupid, highly unlikely though.

EDIT: Nevermind. I got it working. Something went wonky with the program. I uninstalled then reinstalled and it worked fine then.

Last edited:

robthegob

Jul 22, 2014
Help unbrick HD18 V2.22

I have tried this method to no avail I get no signal what so ever hdmi or av please please help
I also have a A808 V1.1 that only boots to a 2d androis after my "friend said install EmbER on it and now cant reflash ANYTHING
PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
Regards Rob

robthegob

Jul 22, 2014
HELP!!!

hi can you help it worked ish I have no sound and every time I reboot it hdmi wont work so I have to set it up with the AV can you please advise
also I cant get into recovery to install stock rom

DarcioManuel

Jan 10, 2011
Hello
I have ugoos M8 , yesterday when I tried to update the firmware , loanding stuck at 80 % ! I waited several minutes but nothing happened! After removing the power adapter, the device not connected again, the standby light is off
Any idea?
Thanks

Fantomcat

Aug 3, 2015
I think its dead

Tried everything, Black screen, no logo, no android man, no nothing. Tried reset methods, reset button does not do anything Brickybrickbrick cant get any response from the box, only life it has is the power LED is on when cable is connected. Just trying now to leave it on, left reset button depressed for about 2 minutes now I have released the reset button and just going to leave it and see if the SD card is running or flashing or whatever. I think its dead though, no life no response. I will post if it does anything, else we can safely say it will go into the bin.:crying:

mrch1ppy

Sep 18, 2015
Hi guy's

Can anyone please help unbrick old mx board type 8726mx_v1.1

Can I use the nand reset as I canot get bootloader anymore as I had a failed openelec install.

Now just shows openelec splash screen.

free2saute

Oct 5, 2010
Los Angeles
Will this work on this box I also can't boot in recovery any help would be awesome

Attachments

• xmbox.jpg
    xmbox.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 537

tyokoza

Oct 24, 2015
@9 Amlogic mx dead after using this flash

I did create a sd card and have the needed files from this post, toothpick reset, update or installation ended with no errors in my case, i selected reboot and box turned off and wont turn on anymore.
the red light is solid and the remote wont urn it on or off, unplugging the box is the only solution to have it off, my tv doesn't seems to have any signal coming in after installation, i try using the same memory card and the toothpick method and now the recovery menu doesn't even boots , any idea of what to do to at least have my recovery coming on, i will try openelec just to test if it will do any better !!!

Thank you in advance to any replay

diz4dat

Jan 30, 2015
Firmware for AML8726-mxs naxa core tablet Pc

AML8726-mx NAXA Core Tablet PC
Sorry I saw the title of this discussion and it says tablet and I went through it and I don't see anything on my Tablet. My tablet is stuck on the logo "ANDROID". Do you know where I can find the firmware(AML8726-MXS). I've tried Google and no luck there.
Please Help

Last edited:

sekhanda

Jul 23, 2016
Hi, I just downloaded the image and the "HHD Raw Copy Tool" and copied the image with this tool into my SD Card, following the steps on this tutorial. I put the SD into my HD 18 v2.22, put an toothpick in the AV and plug the AC into the device, now the power led is Blue but i can't get video from the HDMI. It's been 10 minutes since y power it up. How do I know if it's installing the ROM? Thanks! :good:

Hi I am having the same issue. Don't see any progress bars. I followed you instructions to the "T". I am using a GBox Midnight MX2. Any ideas

micbyte

Feb 2, 2017
MX2 still bricked after HDD Raw

Hi and thank you for your expertise I know this is years old however i wanted to get my gbox 2 hd18 2.22 up and running for my mom, I am fairly techy and this failed all attempts have failed.
The box had Openelec on it and I wanted to revert back to factory fw when i did that it died, for lack of a better word... Is this an Openelec issue perhaps? Sorry I do not do code or program
Is there a OpenElec firmware install that may be able to revive?

thank you

Thanks for this

Question, I thought Matricom prevented loading their firmware on non Matricom boxes, will this definitely work on a DroidTV MX?

Thanks

kozetablet

Mar 23, 2015
My MX TV box has the blue light, but shows nothing on the TV after a failed firmware update. I can't get into recovery either. Does anyone happen to have the STOCK FIRMWARE IMAGE (.img) file for the MX box? Thanks!

Raytwente

Aug 1, 2017
How do I get it installed via usb tool ??

How do I get it installed via usb tool ?? hey stok inthe licht

QUOTE=BenniBenassi;45851038]I have no idea but I think NOT.

Sent from my ST18i using xda app-developers app[/QUOTE]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING, IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, THEN DO NOT DO IT.

1) THE PROCESS IS ENTIRELY AUTOMATED.
    2) NO NEED TO MANUALLY INSTALL ANYTHING ONCE THE PROCESS IS STARTED.
    3) THE 2 ERRORS COMING AT THE END OF THE RECOVERY PROCESS ARE PART OF THE PROCESS.

AN IMPORTANT REMINDER:

If you can not follow the instructions correctly or you do not understand them, ASK BEFOREHAND on the FORUM and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES PERFORM THE RECOVERY.

Under no circumstances should you do any manual installation of any of the files located on the recovery sd card.

The result may be a permanently bricked box with no way to recover.

Here is an almost-idiot proof ROM install and UNBRICK method instruction for AML8726-MX (M6) Android TV Box (1gb / 8gb dual core):
    If you manage to brick your box, it is your fault entirely. I did the recovery image for myself and decided to share it with community. Use at your own reponsibility.

Also known as:
    G18REF
    DROIDBOX iMX6
    DROIDTV MX
    MX2REF
    MATRICOM G-BOX MX2
    or any generic Android MX Media Box with same hardware, AML8726MX 1G/8G set top box
    HD18 V2.2
    HD18 V2.21
    HD18 V2.22

I created an easy-install SD Card image from this ROM: Matricom G-Box Midnight MX2 v1.1.5+ (ROM DATE = 9th of August 2013)

The ROM was used for creating the special install SD card.

It is very simple to install, just insert a 4gb or larger SD CARD into Windows PC and use this program to set up the card:

DOWNLOAD THIS:
    http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/HDDRawCopy1.02Portable.exe

Then use the extracted sd card image file as a source and set a target to your sd card (4 gb), it writes the image, close the HDD RAW COPY program and eject the card (SAFELY - choose eject from PC, right click menu + eject).

DOWNLOAD THIS:
    FILE: Matricom Midnight G-BOX MX2 v1.1.5+ image (August 9th, 2013)

WARNING: THIS METHOD WILL ERASE EVERYTHING FROM YOUR MX BOX AND INSTALL A NEW ROM. USE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

As an added BONUS this will UNBRICK your device in case it is bricked.

Matricom image (Android 4.2.2): OTA works for XBMC etc
    - Make sure MX device is powered off and power cable removed.
    - Insert SD card you just created.
    - Insert a match or a toothpick to reset hole - you will feel a click. (it is the AV hole in the back)
    - Power on the MX box by inserting power cable, while holding the match in the reset hole.
    - It will boot to recovery and start installing ROM.
    - After finishing it will give 2 errors - these do not matter.
    - Remove power cable and insert it again, the device will boot as MATRICOM MIDNIGHT G-BOX MX2

This is how the board looks from inside: (NO NEED TO OPEN FOR INSTALLING)

DSC_0043_zpsf2910fda.jpg
    Hello, can you tell us what kind off special SD card?
    Thanks

Yes I can.

It is a Generic MX Droid-TV (AML8726-MX G18REF) box, now with AndroidGadget ROM.

I used this program below to create a special SD card (with a new image), which booted and fixed my box, with AndroidGadget ROM.

FILE: DD
    FILE: IMAGE
    FILE: ROM (pw: androidgadget.co.uk)

The DD program used to create the special bootable SD only works under Win XP (Under VMware is also OK)

I hope it will be of help.

If anyone makes a kernel for this that supports CWM, CPU speed mod and CyanogenMod, I'd be grateful :)
    I unbricked my android tv box, AML8726-MX g18ref box with a special sd card. I had similar problem....

Sent from my ST18i using xda app-developers app
    Thanks for this

Question, I thought Matricom prevented loading their firmware on non Matricom boxes, will this definitely work on a DroidTV MX?

Thanks

IF IT IS one of these and the board looks like the one on the picture:

G18REF
    MX2REF
    GENERIC MX MEDIA BOX
    HD18 V2.2
    HD18 V2.21

Make sure you check it is the correct hardware.
    Don't forget to back up anything you need from it, since this will format everything and install a new rom.

ANSWER IS: YES

This is a special AMLogic Boot SD card image and YES it works.

This is how the MX box looks like:

MX Android 4.2.2 TV Box XBMC Amgloic 8726-MX Dual Core Unboxing

Must be an idiot. I can't get the card to flash without an error writing after it says 100. If I try it the box boots into recovery but nothing flashes to the box.. I've tried 2 different sd cards

Your box is not the correct hardware for this ROM.

It is not for other hardware than mentioned in my OP.