[Q] Trying to figure out best option for tethering

Search This thread

Gamemaster1379

Aug 2, 2012
Hello all, I recently got a note 3 (about two weeks ago) and am looking at options for tethering.

Before I go on, my phone's specs are

SM-900P
Stock ROM
Software version ending in -NAB
4.4.2 KitKat
Rooted (KNOX already tripped)

Now, from what I can tell from what I've read up on, there aren't very many options for a stock ROM user on this device. The only one I have read about working is Wifi Tether Router from the market, but I can't even get the SSID to show up on any of my devices when tethering (and at that, I think it was only in ad-hoc, I'd rather infrastructure).

What other options do I have in terms of tethering on stock, if any? And assuming that I don't, what are my options as far as custom ROMs go? (While I am familiar with Android, I have next to zero knowledge about custom ROMs).

Reactions: micmars

micmars

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
Hello all, I recently got a note 3 (about two weeks ago) and am looking at options for tethering.

SM-900P
Stock ROM
4.4.2 KitKat

Now, from what I can tell from what I've read up on, there aren't very many options for a stock ROM user on this device. The only one I have read about working is Wifi Tether Router from the market, but I can't even get the SSID to show up on any of my devices when tethering (and at that, I think it was only in ad-hoc, I'd rather infrastructure).

What other options do I have in terms of tethering on stock, if any? And assuming that I don't, what are my options as far as custom ROMs go? (While I am familiar with Android, I have next to zero knowledge about custom ROMs).

First, congrats on the new device.

Now, as to stock rom options for rooted users, I'm having difficulty understanding how one quantifies that statement, inasmuch as if you go with root only, the world of options are at your fingertips. Put another way, you want to stay stock with root added, it's now your choice as to how much or little you choose to add to your setup.

For instance, you could use Adaway, Titanium Backup, a plethora of themed apps, and thousands of other root-only options (recovery, kernels, clocking apps, Xposed modules, WiFi tethering, & c.).

Now, if you wish to stay on an earlier build (NAB is older than NC5, the latest updated official build), our amazing dev community has provided a standalone flashable zip to add it to your setup.

Go to @JoshBeach website, and grab the zip file labeled accordingly.

http://www.kitkatkiller.eu/index.php?dir=SPRINT+GALAXY+NOTE+3/KITKAT+FILES/MODS/NABD

There's also a 4-1 reboot menu and a hot spot removal zip there for the taking.

Now hie yourself over to the dev section, and shop around. Some of the best devs on XDA are right here.

Choose well. You can't go wrong with any.

You also might donate to the hardworking folks giving these things away for free, if you're so inclined.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Gamemaster1379

Aug 2, 2012

Now, as to stock rom options for rooted users, I'm having difficulty understanding how one quantifies that statement, inasmuch as if you go with root only, the world of options are at your fingertips. Put another way, you want to stay stock with root added, it's now your choice as to how much or little you choose to add to your setup.

For instance, you could use Adaway, Titanium Backup, a plethora of themed apps, and thousands of other root-only options (recovery, kernels, clocking apps, Xposed modules, WiFi tethering, & c.).

Now, if you wish to stay on an earlier build (NAB is older than NC5, the latest updated official build), our amazing dev community has provided a standalone flashable zip to add it to your setup.

http://www.kitkatkiller.eu/index.php?dir=SPRINT+GALAXY+NOTE+3/KITKAT+FILES/MODS/NABD

Now hie yourself over to the dev section, and shop around. Some of the best devs on XDA are right here.

You also might donate to the hardworking folks giving these things away for free, if you're so inclined.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Thanks. This device was a huge jump for me. I got this device after coming from an ICS Moto Razr Maxx. With a phone as old as that, there weren't really a lot of custom ROM options available, it's just something I have never needed to pursue.

I realize there is an astounding amount of resources available for a rooted user, even on stock. But in particular, my first main focus is seeing if I can find an infrastructure tethering option. I'm coming from a world where everything only ever needed root access. Now I'm in a world of DeOdexing, Odexing, custom ROMs, recoveries, bootloaders, aggressive firmware updates patching everything (whereas my previous carrier never updated a single thing from stock) and it's all overwhelming.

I can't say in particular if I want to stay on an earlier build or not. From experiences as far as other devices I've owned are--older is better. The exploits are generally in older firmwares and newer firmwares that patch them seem to offer gimmicky features at best (and you can often get them by rooting an older device and selectively updating anyhow). Unless NC5 has some astounding advantage of NAB, I'd probably just want to stick with NAB.

Now, since I"m relatively new to this, I'm not 100% what it is you linked to me. This Hotspotmod says DeOdexed. I'm still really new to what DeOdexing means, so bear with me. Does that mod require me to have previously DeOdexed the files on my device, or is the mod GOING to DeOdex them? If it is going to DeOdex them, is that all I'm going to need to make use of the wireless hotspot on my device?

I'll definitely look around at the custom ROMs and see if anything catches my eye. They all do seem really interesting. However, I like to make changes to fix what is broken (hence why rooting has always been a go-to for me. But if I can resolve the barriers I'm having now (the only of which seems to be tethering at the moment), I think I'd rather stay stock.

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
Need the DeOdexed Rom for NAB(D)...

Thanks. This device was a huge jump for me. I got this device after coming from an ICS Moto Razr Maxx. With a phone as old as that, there weren't really a lot of custom ROM options available, it's just something I have never needed to pursue.

I realize there is an astounding amount of resources available for a rooted user, even on stock. But in particular, my first main focus is seeing if I can find an infrastructure tethering option. I'm coming from a world where everything only ever needed root access. Now I'm in a world of DeOdexing, Odexing, custom ROMs, recoveries, bootloaders, aggressive firmware updates patching everything (whereas my previous carrier never updated a single thing from stock) and it's all overwhelming.

I can't say in particular if I want to stay on an earlier build or not. From experiences as far as other devices I've owned are--older is better. The exploits are generally in older firmwares and newer firmwares that patch them seem to offer gimmicky features at best (and you can often get them by rooting an older device and selectively updating anyhow). Unless NC5 has some astounding advantage of NAB, I'd probably just want to stick with NAB.

Now, since I"m relatively new to this, I'm not 100% what it is you linked to me. This Hotspotmod says DeOdexed. I'm still really new to what DeOdexing means, so bear with me. Does that mod require me to have previously DeOdexed the files on my device, or is the mod GOING to DeOdex them? If it is going to DeOdex them, is that all I'm going to need to make use of the wireless hotspot on my device?

I'll definitely look around at the custom ROMs and see if anything catches my eye. They all do seem really interesting. However, I like to make changes to fix what is broken (hence why rooting has always been a go-to for me. But if I can resolve the barriers I'm having now (the only of which seems to be tethering at the moment), I think I'd rather stay stock.

OK, first off, I did fail to remember that the hotspot mod to which I linked is for DeOdex only.

So, if you want to stay as close to stock as possible, you'll need to be on @freeza stockish DeOdex NADB rom build, which has Knox removed.

You'll also need proper recovery.

So, flash TouchWiz KitKat recovery from PC Odin (version 3.07 works fine).

Unzip that file, then run it from your PC, first right-click on the exe file, choose run as administrator, then open PC Odin.

Now, power off your phone in it's entirety, and then go into bootloader mode (Volume Down + Home + Power, then volume up once past the caution screen...if you're rooted, you should already have tripped Knox, so that is my working premise). Making sure you have the latest Samsung drivers installed, plug your phone into the PC, and...load the recovery file below into the PDA slot within PC Odin:

TWRP Recovery V.2.7.0.1

Then, dump the following zip file onto your device's internal memory:

Stockish NABD DeOdex ROM

Check your MD5 to make sure you get a clean download, using this tool here:

MD5 Checker

Then compare it with this code (copy/paste into the appropriate box on the MD5.exe program I lined):

7d0749d2362d872ca8db7c524d25bf40

Now reboot your phone, and flash the zip to which I linked.

Good luck! And I can only imagine the boost in performance you must be experiencing.

As to your observation about older=more reliable (forgive my paraphrasing if I'm off), that is your opinion, and perhaps one harbored by many. I would suggest that others may not share your belief.

Last edited:
Reactions: topherk

Gamemaster1379

Aug 2, 2012
OK, first off, I did fail to remember that the hotspot mod to which I linked is for DeOdex only.

So, if you want to stay as close to stock as possible, you'll need to be on @freeza stockish DeOdex NADB rom build, which has Knox removed.

Unzip that file, then run it from your PC, first right-click on the exe file, choose run as administrator, then open PC Odin.

Now, power off your phone in it's entirety, and then go into bootloader mode (Volume Down + Home + Power, then volume up once past the caution screen...if you're rooted, you should already have tripped Knox, so that is my working premise). Making sure you have the latest Samsung drivers installed, plug your phone into the PC, and...load the recovery file below into the PDA slot within PC Odin:

TWRP Recovery V.2.7.0.1

Stockish NABD DeOdex ROM

MD5 Checker

Then compare it with this code (copy/paste into the appropriate box on the MD5.exe program I lined):

Good luck! And I can only imagine the boost in performance you must be experiencing.

As to your observation about older=more reliable (forgive my paraphrasing if I'm off), that is your opinion, and perhaps one harbored by many. I would suggest that others may not share your belief.

That is a very detailed and useful explanation, thank you.

As far as the reliability statement, I actually mean reliability in terms of unreliability (for exploitations). I have a Nintendo 3DS and PS3 on older firmwares and both times the older firmware has proven invaluable.

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay

As far as the reliability statement, I actually mean reliability in terms of unreliability (for exploitations). I have a Nintendo 3DS and PS3 on older firmwares and both times the older firmware has proven invaluable.

You're welcome.

Again, welcome to our little portion of XDA, and I hope you have fun.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

SM-900P
    Stock ROM
    4.4.2 KitKat

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Need the DeOdexed Rom for NAB(D)...

TWRP Recovery V.2.7.0.1

Stockish NABD DeOdex ROM

MD5 Checker

TWRP Recovery V.2.7.0.1

Stockish NABD DeOdex ROM

MD5 Checker

You're welcome.

Again, welcome to our little portion of XDA, and I hope you have fun.

I already have and will certainly continue to. I followed through all the information you gave me and would like to report back with this little tidbit from my computer. Link.