[Guide]Complete Android ROM development and essential tutorials ~~ By Nero Young ~~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

neroyoung

Oct 12, 2011
Pusad, MH
Hi,
If you willing to learn to build custom ROM then you should have following things

• Basic Knowledge about handling Command Promt
  • Basic Windows software knowledge
  • PC with all tools properly installed
  • And a mobile with bootloader unlocked

This tutorial is for "Windows OS (Windows 7 x64 in my case)" And Android 2.3+ OS (2.3.4 GingerBread in my case).
But Dxda Kitchen also supports Ubuntu/Linux and also can support Ice cream sandwich

In this whole post you will learn How To -

• Make custom ROM - Done
  • Unpack .ftf packages - Done
  • Use Cygwin - Done
  • Setup Android Kitchen - Done
  • Edit .apk files - Done
  • Edit .jar files - Done
  • Edit .9.png files - Done
  • Rooting System - Done
  • Writing scripts
  • Making flashable zips - Done
  • Porting apk software
  • A2SD Techs - Dropped ( Outdated now )
  • Editing build.prop - Done
  • Editing init.d tweaks
  • Information of every customizable file
  • Making Hosts
  • apn configs
  • editing boot.img
  • converting png to rle or vice versa
  • Writing updater-script
  • Making Aroma Installer
  • How to set default Settings after ROM installations
  • more and more things to arrive

Tools Required : (Update them manually and report me dead links please)

Download the tools as per your need.Link is given in the name itself below....

Special Thanks to -

dsixda for his awesome kitchen :D Please Hit Thanks button for him
DooMLoRD for providing root files
Please kindly remind me if i have forgotten to write your name in thanks section, i have collected all things from many many sources and with modification.

Last edited:

neroyoung

Oct 12, 2011
Pusad, MH
Tools Overview

Introduction

This video gives information about the basic tools for ROM development.
Tools will be uploaded once the tutorial is completed.And the links will be posted in 1st post.This tutorial is for all kinds of devices.No matter what your device is ... you can use this tutorial...
Though ftf files are only for Xperia devcies which are used in flashtool to flash stock ROMs to Xperia devices.If you have other device the don't get confused if you will not ftf file for your device.Try other sources to get system files.

Settings Up Cygwin And Kitchen

This video teaches you how to setup Cygwin And Kitchen.The softwares told in this video can be downloaded from first post

Setting Up Remaining Tools (ftf extractor,flashtool,fastboot etc)

This video teaches you how to setup all remaining files and folders...

Last edited:

neroyoung

Oct 12, 2011
Pusad, MH
Getting System Folder

Universal method for obtaining system folder (Root needed)​
This tutorial guides you how to extract system folder from .ftf packages and get system folder for your custom ROM easily.
For this we have used ftf extractor.

Though you can flash your device,install stock ROM root it and then copy all system file to SD Card and get the system folder.This is universal method and can be done easily using terminal emulator.
For this simply download Terminal Emulator from Android Market.
Install it on your freshly flashed device as stated above.
Open it and type:
su

This will give root permission to your terminal emulator.
Then type:
tar -c system/* >> sdcard/system.tar

This will copy all your /system folder to your SDcard with name System.tar
This will take some time to finish so be patient. :eek:

After it's done you should have a tar file in your /sdcard named system.tar
You can extract it using Winrar or 7zip software. But yes this will have huge size :eek:, as it has other useless folders so you will have to delete them. After extracting this system.tar file you will get following folders (Similar one)

Code:
/app
/bin
/etc
/fonts
/framework
/lib
[COLOR="Red"]/lost-found[/COLOR]
/media
[COLOR="Red"]/sd[/COLOR]
/semc
/usr
/xbin
build.prop
[COLOR="Red"]And some other files and folders like ""autorooted,kernel files" etc[/COLOR]
Now simply delete the folders marked in red color and its done.Don't worry :confused: if you don't have folders with red colors above,we don't need them.
And the final files that we will have in our system folders will be

Code:
/app
/bin
/etc
/fonts
/framework
/lib
/media
/semc
/usr
/xbin
build.prop
Now thats all... :cool:
Use this pre rooted ROM as your base now and have fun in tweaking and customizing .... Hope this is simplest method that you could ever find... ;)

Extracting .FTF File
Only For GB ROM AND XPERIA DEVICES !​
Try this method if ftf extractor is failing for ICS. And note that ftf files are only for sony models.
You can optinally try flashtool to edit .sin files from ftf files. Just install latest flashtool and go to advance menu. then choose sin file editor, choose desired ftf file and then dump the system folder.
Another methods to get system folder.

Last edited:

neroyoung

Oct 12, 2011
Pusad, MH
Working With Android Kitchen​

Getting Started
This tutorial will tell you how to setup working folder in kitchen and how to root your ROM,change name,add busy box etc.
This is pre requirement on ROM development.So this video will continue after total customization is done !
After this video you can jump to next post to proceed with customization and then come back to setup to second video in this post so you can continue packing of system folder in flashable zip

Finalizing ROM
This video shows you how to finalize making zip file of your ROM and use it for flashing.

neroyoung

Oct 12, 2011
Pusad, MH

neroyoung

Oct 12, 2011
Pusad, MH
Last edited:

Nagelzz

Jul 17, 2011
Looks super awesome MSN, just what I've been looking for! Gonna have a closer look when I'm out of bed :D

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA

Reactions: vishnu_raj

snipe2nite

Aug 1, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
Very nice!!! This is the first time I have searched for Android ROM development and look what I find, the KING, of all Android ROM development posts! Thank you SO much for the time you have put in to this...

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
How about finding another file host. I don't like being forced to download crap that I don't need.

"The way is known to all, but not all know it."
Sent from my modded LG-P506 using XDA App

wilowfr

Apr 8, 2012
toulouse
Thanks a lot for awesome Tut.
In the ftf-extractor.rar i found only the aIUP.exe. what about the other file 'SKI7i.....ftf' :confused:
Also when i execute the './menu' in the cgwin/kitchen folder, i have "error: The application "clear" is not installed ...

Last edited:

neroyoung

Oct 12, 2011
Pusad, MH
Thanks a lot for awesome Tut.
In the ftf-extractor.rar i found only the aIUP.exe. what about the other file 'SKI7i.....ftf' :confused:
Also when i execute the './menu' in the cgwin/kitchen folder, i have "error: The application "clear" is not installed ...
That SK17i...ftf package is stock firmware for my Xperia Mini Pro.By opeing it i have extracted system.sin file.
You will need ftf package of stock firmware of your Galaxy3 as you mentioned in your signature.
Also re install cygwin Completely and add kitchen files in cygwin/home/<YourUserNameOf PC>/kitchen to remove that error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    If you willing to learn to build custom ROM then you should have following things

• Basic Knowledge about handling Command Promt
    • Basic Windows software knowledge
    • PC with all tools properly installed
    • And a mobile with bootloader unlocked

This tutorial is for "Windows OS (Windows 7 x64 in my case)" And Android 2.3+ OS (2.3.4 GingerBread in my case).
    But Dxda Kitchen also supports Ubuntu/Linux and also can support Ice cream sandwich

In this whole post you will learn How To -

• Make custom ROM - Done
    • Unpack .ftf packages - Done
    • Use Cygwin - Done
    • Setup Android Kitchen - Done
    • Edit .apk files - Done
    • Edit .jar files - Done
    • Edit .9.png files - Done
    • Rooting System - Done
    • Writing scripts
    • Making flashable zips - Done
    • Porting apk software
    • A2SD Techs - Dropped ( Outdated now )
    • Editing build.prop - Done
    • Editing init.d tweaks
    • Information of every customizable file
    • Making Hosts
    • apn configs
    • editing boot.img
    • converting png to rle or vice versa
    • Writing updater-script
    • Making Aroma Installer
    • How to set default Settings after ROM installations
    • more and more things to arrive

Tools Required : (Update them manually and report me dead links please)

Download the tools as per your need.Link is given in the name itself below....

Special Thanks to -

dsixda for his awesome kitchen :D Please Hit Thanks button for him
    DooMLoRD for providing root files
    Please kindly remind me if i have forgotten to write your name in thanks section, i have collected all things from many many sources and with modification.
    Tools Overview

Introduction

This video gives information about the basic tools for ROM development.
    Tools will be uploaded once the tutorial is completed.And the links will be posted in 1st post.This tutorial is for all kinds of devices.No matter what your device is ... you can use this tutorial...
    Though ftf files are only for Xperia devcies which are used in flashtool to flash stock ROMs to Xperia devices.If you have other device the don't get confused if you will not ftf file for your device.Try other sources to get system files.

Settings Up Cygwin And Kitchen

This video teaches you how to setup Cygwin And Kitchen.The softwares told in this video can be downloaded from first post

Setting Up Remaining Tools (ftf extractor,flashtool,fastboot etc)

This video teaches you how to setup all remaining files and folders...
    Getting System Folder

Universal method for obtaining system folder (Root needed)​
    This tutorial guides you how to extract system folder from .ftf packages and get system folder for your custom ROM easily.
    For this we have used ftf extractor.

Though you can flash your device,install stock ROM root it and then copy all system file to SD Card and get the system folder.This is universal method and can be done easily using terminal emulator.
    For this simply download Terminal Emulator from Android Market.
    Install it on your freshly flashed device as stated above.
    Open it and type:
    su

This will give root permission to your terminal emulator.
    Then type:
    tar -c system/* >> sdcard/system.tar

This will copy all your /system folder to your SDcard with name System.tar
    This will take some time to finish so be patient. :eek:

After it's done you should have a tar file in your /sdcard named system.tar
    You can extract it using Winrar or 7zip software. But yes this will have huge size :eek:, as it has other useless folders so you will have to delete them. After extracting this system.tar file you will get following folders (Similar one)

Code:
    /app
    /bin
    /etc
    /fonts
    /framework
    /lib
    [COLOR="Red"]/lost-found[/COLOR]
    /media
    [COLOR="Red"]/sd[/COLOR]
    /semc
    /usr
    /xbin
    build.prop
    [COLOR="Red"]And some other files and folders like ""autorooted,kernel files" etc[/COLOR]
    Now simply delete the folders marked in red color and its done.Don't worry :confused: if you don't have folders with red colors above,we don't need them.
    And the final files that we will have in our system folders will be

Code:
    /app
    /bin
    /etc
    /fonts
    /framework
    /lib
    /media
    /semc
    /usr
    /xbin
    build.prop
    Now thats all... :cool:
    Use this pre rooted ROM as your base now and have fun in tweaking and customizing .... Hope this is simplest method that you could ever find... ;)

Extracting .FTF File
    Only For GB ROM AND XPERIA DEVICES !​
    Try this method if ftf extractor is failing for ICS. And note that ftf files are only for sony models.
    You can optinally try flashtool to edit .sin files from ftf files. Just install latest flashtool and go to advance menu. then choose sin file editor, choose desired ftf file and then dump the system folder.
    Another methods to get system folder.

Working With Android Kitchen​

Getting Started
    This tutorial will tell you how to setup working folder in kitchen and how to root your ROM,change name,add busy box etc.
    This is pre requirement on ROM development.So this video will continue after total customization is done !
    After this video you can jump to next post to proceed with customization and then come back to setup to second video in this post so you can continue packing of system folder in flashable zip

Finalizing ROM
    This video shows you how to finalize making zip file of your ROM and use it for flashing.

Working With APKTOOL

Editing .APK Files​

This video teaches you how to setup APKTOOL folder as well as teaches you how to edit .apk files.

Editing .JAR Files
    In this next video you will get information on how to edit .jar files like services.jar using APKTOOL.