FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Micro USB Cable: They all break. Any help?

269 posts
Thanks Meter: 50

By Colton127, Senior Member on 7th May 2012, 11:07 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th July 2012, 11:37 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have the same problem...after a year these cables are all starting to give problems! It is not a problem of the cable but in my opinion is the micro-usb connector because the same appens wit car charging cables...
30th July 2012, 12:02 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Like many others here, I haven't had any problems with these cables. I have noticed some of my family members consistently having problems with these and other cables (like earphones). It's always been a handling issue. They either wrapped them too tight, pull on the cable instead of the plug when unplugging, or improperly store them.

I've bought cables from Monoprice and off ebay. Monoprice quality has been consistently great so far and the price is amazing. As for Ebay, as can be expected, the quality has been hit or miss and on one occasion where the micro-usb connector was extremely flimsy and falling apart, a little bit of super glue fixed the problem for me.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
31st July 2012, 11:39 AM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 81

More
Now I know how you feel. I broke my first one last night.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
21st August 2012, 08:33 AM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 136

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton127

Note: By Micro USB Cable, I mean the cable that connects to your phone/tablet and to the wall/computer in order to charge and/or sync. In a thousand words, this:

I've owned multiple cables just like this. They all break. The one that came with my Samsung Galaxy S II, the one that came with my mother's HTC Evo 4G, the one that came with my sisters Samsung dumbphone, and every one I've bought at Wal-Mart or Dollar general. Every. Freaking. One. Breaks within two months.

It's not the device; it's the cord. I checked. I tested.

Does anybody else have this issue? Does anybody know where I can buy a HIGH-QUALITY WILL-NOT-BREAK Micro USB cable?

It's downright stupid to me how big companies like Samsung or HTC packs charging cables that break so easily. My mom has gotten multiple replacements from Sprint from hers breaking.

Also, 70% of the time, they don't completely break. They just work in a certain direction, and touching your device or the cable will disconnect it. Sometimes they will disconnect and reconnect hundreds of times a minute, completely crashing your device or making loud, annoying sounds letting you know your device is charging or not.

Please, I need some help. I googled this. Nothing very useful. This is getting on my nerves.

Thanks for the help!

I know exactly what he's talking about, im going through a cable a month right now, it's insane.

You guys all think it's the cable snapping or visibly breaking, NO, it's microUSB connector at the end is breaking inside somehow and then in-order to make a connection with the phone EITHER you have to move it to a certain angle or generally push it up towards the screen. EXACTLY AS THE OP POSTED.
I've had this happy to OEM-Samsung Cables and Generic Aftermarket cables. I've gone through about 6 cables in the last 6 months, it's absolutely insane.

Why can't some manufacturer make these cables with a metal casing around these apparently very weak micro-USB connecting heads.
The Following User Says Thank You to THE_KINGDOM For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift THE_KINGDOM Ad-Free
27th August 2012, 10:46 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Agreed
I agree with you. These connectors break and wear out way too soon. Also, they become loose so they get disconnected too easily. microUSB is a pathetic standard, way worse than miniUSB. I remember having loads of miniUSB cables and not a single one them ever broke. I could have never even thought of a cable breaking down on me before. It was hard to even comprehend that a cable could break so easily - I used to think that my phone's port was in some way faulty.
Now, 5 out of 6 microUSB connectors I own are affected by this hideous issue. One is so bad and loose I have to put my phone on a certain angle for it just to charge (an expensive "Hama" unit with golden contacts and unreasonably thick cord). Connector of my microUSB car charger is working ok, but has become so loose it just disconnects whenever I pick up my phone (a safety feature for a car charger perhaps).
People who designed this connector should get fired/sued/etc. Hrrr.
The Following User Says Thank You to pauliusba For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pauliusba Ad-Free
28th August 2012, 01:55 AM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
The micro USB connector is fragile - no question about that. I 'broke' a few cables before finally buying a desktop cradle. Problem solved!
The Following User Says Thank You to colsaunders2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift colsaunders2 Ad-Free
28th August 2012, 05:52 AM |#27  

More
Thumbs down also short
why they are also short ..!!!???
we need longer to use as a charger wire
and when provide a longer one it doesn't work fine specially as a data cable
The Following User Says Thank You to mmm1985usa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mmm1985usa Ad-Free
28th August 2012, 06:07 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 76

More
I have a 4ft micro-usb cable that hasn't broken in 2-3 years. I use it multiple times a day for a couple of different devices. I got it on ebay.

I also have a collection of short cellphone micro-usb cables that have all broken within 3 months of purchase.
I don't abuse them, they just seem to be lower quality now.
The Following User Says Thank You to deadhp1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift deadhp1 Ad-Free
4th September 2012, 11:25 PM |#29  

More
Problems with USB Micro's as Well
Quote:
Originally Posted by steez003

I don't think I've had one USB (whether it be regular or micro) ever break on me. You must be doing something wrong with them lol

But seriously, not one.

I, my friend, and my co-worker has the same problems. CONSTANTLY breaking in then sometimes they work with not secure connections to the charge/no charge problem keeps happening exactly like he said. I've used Motorola chargers with build in Micro USB, the ones like the original picture the original poster showed, and I've used HP ones for an HP Touchpad that are now going bad after (you guess it!) about 2 months. It drives me nuts. These are not abused. I also had two motorola backup battery devices to boost my Droid 4 on long trips. Both the included Micro usb connectors that are build into them failed. They have a year warranty and they get replaced about every 3 months. The sales man usually says "Yeah, that happens a lot". I am looking for a high quality cable myself; but my point in replying is this does seem to be a serious problem for a lot of people. What brand are you using? Maybe you have the type we all are hoping to get - one that doesn't break.

--Steve

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by steez003

I don't think I've had one USB (whether it be regular or micro) ever break on me. You must be doing something wrong with them lol

But seriously, not one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton127

Note: By Micro USB Cable, I mean the cable that connects to your phone/tablet and to the wall/computer in order to charge and/or sync. In a thousand words, this:

I've owned multiple cables just like this. They all break. The one that came with my Samsung Galaxy S II, the one that came with my mother's HTC Evo 4G, the one that came with my sisters Samsung dumbphone, and every one I've bought at Wal-Mart or Dollar general. Every. Freaking. One. Breaks within two months.

It's not the device; it's the cord. I checked. I tested.

Does anybody else have this issue? Does anybody know where I can buy a HIGH-QUALITY WILL-NOT-BREAK Micro USB cable?

It's downright stupid to me how big companies like Samsung or HTC packs charging cables that break so easily. My mom has gotten multiple replacements from Sprint from hers breaking.

Also, 70% of the time, they don't completely break. They just work in a certain direction, and touching your device or the cable will disconnect it. Sometimes they will disconnect and reconnect hundreds of times a minute, completely crashing your device or making loud, annoying sounds letting you know your device is charging or not.

Please, I need some help. I googled this. Nothing very useful. This is getting on my nerves.

Thanks for the help!

I was wondering if you were able to find a good one yet and if so could you tell me what you got. I have the same problems using mostly Motorola and HP micro USB cables. I'd do anything for a high quality micro USB cable that isn't going to break in 2-3 months (EXACTLY how you described it!) and I'd be willing to pay a premium for it!

Thanks!

--Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to kenoshabrew For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kenoshabrew Ad-Free
7th September 2012, 04:16 PM |#30  
Flag Wichita Falls, TX
Thanks Meter: 16

More
I don't tend to have problems with them breaking so much as I lose them. Thankfully I can get replacements on Amazon for less than $2.00. You could just spend $10 and have a few spares!
7th September 2012, 04:18 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 431

More
My samsung charger broke, so I had to switch to the charger from my Motorola atrix. Definitely the best charger I've ever used. Unfortunately moto doesn't sell them....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)