[MOD](6/19/12) Remove 3-dot bar & Key Remaps | ALL RUUs | Flashable

Search This thread

PurpleFries

Jul 18, 2009
Toronto
It does both. I just discovered that it does the search remap too. This modifies the framework which is basically themeing

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

sk806

Jan 30, 2005
Rye, New York
Question

So, I see there a lot of questions about the remap mod. First, yes you can do this for odexed ROMs. However, I am not a huge fan of modding odex files, so I have not done it...I will take a look. If someone wants to dive into modding the odex files, PM me and I can tell you exactly what to do...

What does this mod do. Well, open an app like the XDA app. You will see a big bar on the bottom with three dots that is the menu for the app (lots of other apps to). This seems to take up a lot of space just for a menu key. This mod gets rid of that big black bar at the bottom and lets you open the menu (system-wide, not just in apps like xda) by pressing the recents key. So, for instance, from the home screen you can press the recents button and you get the regular android home menu for wallpaper, settings, etc. Long pressing home is then used for recents (seriously, what do you use more, menu or recents?). Long pressing recents key (which is now the menu key) opens searc, something that is NOT available at all on ICS sense 4.0. In my opinion, this is a MUCH better setup, and most users seem to agree. If you don't think it's for you, don't flash it. I am also willing to consider different ket setups (i.e., long pres recents for recents, etc.). I don't have screenshots, because it really doesn't affect anything OTHER THAN the big black bar at the bottom of some apps with the three dots.

STeve

Finally, I am updating this to the latest RUU, and making it a separate, but compatible, mod from the Advanced Power Menu Tonight at some point.

matthewf01

Jul 26, 2008
Atlanta
Was just trying to figure out if there's a way to regain the SEARCH button, which I'm finding I sorely miss (having to scroll to the widget, or find a search button, is more time consuming!) Plus I really want that long-press search to open Voice Search shortcut... sounds like you're partway there, so thank you!
Still waiting until the ATT OX mod process is a little more mature before I do anything beyond simple rooting... but glad this one is standing by.

Is it possible for you to jump straight into the Voice Search function by long-pressing menu key, as you've described? Or does it just open a text search box?

bigballa

Feb 24, 2009
Atlanta
www.twitter.com
for whoever was asking for a before and after... -_-

BEFORE:

AFTER:

go wild....

sk806

Jan 30, 2005
Rye, New York
Updated APM Test

Hi, this is an updated version of the Advanced Power Menu for the 1.82 RUU. It should also have the extra toggles underneath the regular menu. I can't test it, so please let me know how it goes. If you can logcat it, that would be great, but hopefully it will just work...

This is NOT a flashable zip, it is just a zip with the files, so you need to insert manually...I highly recommend backing up your current android.policy.jar and framework-res.apk before doing this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22769554/Misc/APM.zip

Remove 3-dot menu bar coming soon....

Steve

mikelebz

Aug 18, 2010
Updating now...I'm gonna need someone to test, as I am working on my bootloader and don't have a deodexed ROM, etc. I'll let people know when it's done...

Steve

When you say you're working on your bootloader....do you mean your are working on an S-Off solution for us ATT guys? :D

V DidDy 210

Jul 10, 2007
NY
Hi, this is an updated version of the Advanced Power Menu for the 1.82 RUU. It should also have the extra toggles underneath the regular menu. I can't test it, so please let me know how it goes. If you can logcat it, that would be great, but hopefully it will just work...

This is NOT a flashable zip, it is just a zip with the files, so you need to insert manually...I highly recommend backing up your current android.policy.jar and framework-res.apk before doing this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22769554/Misc/APM.zip

Remove 3-dot menu bar coming soon....

Steve

while i'm glad you're doing this, what is the difference between this three dot and editing the build.prop method?

bobtentpeg

Jan 18, 2010
A build.prop edit remaps long presses of keys? Sorry, please explain...

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

I assume he means that we can add "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" to the buildprop in order to set the "does the phone have all the hardware buttons" to true. We can also modify the keymapping to make the apswitcher act as a menu button,etc.

KitF

Dec 14, 2010
Philadelphia
kit.im
I'd rather keep my app switcher a main key, seeing how it is used for me a lot more. Any possibility of app switcher stays, but long-press it for a menu? Or maybe long-press it for home switcher, but short-press for menu. I have too much muscle memory on that key already.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (6/19/12) I have updated this mod in flash able zip form for all RUUs. Have only tested on 1.88, so flash at your own risk and let me know if there are any problems. Thanks!

Steve

Hi All,

This is mod that will remove the ridiculous "3-dot" menu bar that pops up in fullscreen apps (many games, for instance). It will also remap your soft keys, as follows:

1. The recents key will bring up the relevant context menu with a short/regular press, while a long press of the home key will bring up recent apps.

I will be releasing additional key maps in the future (long press recents for search, keep recents as is with long press for menu, etc.)

This mod is only for deodexed ROMs

Install as follows:

1. Make a NANDROID backup!!

2. Download appropriate zip;

2. Place zip on sdcard;

3. flash as usual in recovery (dalvik and cache wipe recommended);

This mod is based on the work of blubbers (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1582506), so please go and thank him.

Let me know if I messed anything up, and enjoy..

Steve

Downloads

1.88 RUU: http://d-h.st/CNG

1.85 RUU: http://d-h.st/PwO

1.73 RUU: http://d-h.st/YdC

Rest will be up shortly...
    Sorryu, thought I had answered status questions: I am going to be updating all my mods this week, in flashable zip format. I am in the process of making them work with my upcoming ROM, and later a tweaks app, so I plan to have them out, as well as a ROM, early this week. Lots to do, so please be patient...:).

Thanks!

Steve
    Hey dude, make sure your permissions are set to 666 (rw-rw-rw-) and the owner and group are both set to 2000 (shell).

yup....tried again, downloaded dropbox file at bottom of OP, replaced all 3 files to their correct spots (checked twice before i did it), running the CleanRom, replaced using Root Explorer, booted up and HTC Sense and Wallpaper unlock screen have stopped. Won't let me do anything except pull down notification bar.

I seriously don't understand what i could be doing wrong.
    Yeah through that method you can remap the buttons, but you can't remap them to anything with a long press. I'd like to be able to keep my recents button as the recents button, but hold it for the menu. Or simply hold it for recent apps, either way works better then the way I'm doing it right now (swipe down the notification shade and use a toggle that brings up my recent apps). Can't wait till you release!

I have heard similar thoughts from others. Let me:

1. Get out the regular mod (no dots, recents menu, long press home for recents, long press recents for search);

2. Unlock the AT&T Bootloader (oh, boy....);

3. Get a decent recovery done (easier with the unlocked bootloader...);

4. release more mods and ROMs....

;)

Steve
    Question

So, I see there a lot of questions about the remap mod. First, yes you can do this for odexed ROMs. However, I am not a huge fan of modding odex files, so I have not done it...I will take a look. If someone wants to dive into modding the odex files, PM me and I can tell you exactly what to do...

What does this mod do. Well, open an app like the XDA app. You will see a big bar on the bottom with three dots that is the menu for the app (lots of other apps to). This seems to take up a lot of space just for a menu key. This mod gets rid of that big black bar at the bottom and lets you open the menu (system-wide, not just in apps like xda) by pressing the recents key. So, for instance, from the home screen you can press the recents button and you get the regular android home menu for wallpaper, settings, etc. Long pressing home is then used for recents (seriously, what do you use more, menu or recents?). Long pressing recents key (which is now the menu key) opens searc, something that is NOT available at all on ICS sense 4.0. In my opinion, this is a MUCH better setup, and most users seem to agree. If you don't think it's for you, don't flash it. I am also willing to consider different ket setups (i.e., long pres recents for recents, etc.). I don't have screenshots, because it really doesn't affect anything OTHER THAN the big black bar at the bottom of some apps with the three dots.

STeve

Finally, I am updating this to the latest RUU, and making it a separate, but compatible, mod from the Advanced Power Menu Tonight at some point.