[SHV-E160][Root][Stock]How to Root Korean Note via Flashing with Rooted Stock FW

Search This thread

jairrab

Oct 3, 2010
Admins- apologize for posting it here. Please feel free to move to appropriate location. I just want to help fellow Galaxy Note (korean version) owners. With the help of Google translate, and straining to interpret various chinese and korean websites, I was able to deduce a way to root the Korean note via updating it with rooted stock firmware (Samsung Original Firmware, only it's already Rooted).

How to Root Korean Note via Flashing with Rooted Stock Firmware

Flashing:
general instructions taken from mycatisether post

• Put the Korean Note into download mode by holding down the volume down button + home button + power button
  • The Note will then display a tonne of Korean text on-screen, press the volume up button to actually enter the download mode
  • Run Odin in administrator mode (not really sure if it makes a difference but might as well), make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are the only checked items, click the PDA button and select the appropriate firmware file from the list below. Each ROM ~1GB+. Note that the latest firmware is at the bottom of the list for each model.

E160S

E160K

E160L

source: http://matcl.com

Note: Flashing this firmware will not erase your data. It will preserve everything (apps, accounts, SMS, etc), including keeping disabled all the bloat apps I've disabled in the system. Rooting will allow you to permanently remove all these and other protected bloat apps.

Last edited:

InStake

Nov 15, 2011
Victoria
How would rooting help with the allowance or the change of frequency of the skt version gsn to the right one of Bell Mobility?

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

How would rooting help with the allowance or the change of frequency of the skt version gsn to the right one of Bell Mobility?

Reactions: lowrider122

woopsgoops

Sep 12, 2012
New Delhi
Thanks!!

Admins- apologize for posting it here. Please feel free to move to appropriate location. I just want to help fellow Galaxy Note (korean version) owners.

With the help of Google translate, and straining to interpret various chinese and korean websites, I was able to deduce a way to root the latest UH24 firmware for the Korean note. In case you're wondering, I've observed noticeable performance improvements with UH24. Also, the video pop-up play also works flawlessly here.

HOW TO ROOT SHV-E160 UH24 ROM

Flashing:

• Put the Korean Note into download mode by holding down the volume down button + home button + power button
  • The Note will then display a tonne of Korean text on-screen, press the volume up button to actually enter the download mode
  • Run Odin in administrator mode (not really sure if it makes a difference but might as well), make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are the only checked items, click the PDA button and select the appropriate firmware file from the list below. Each ROM ~1GB+.

E160S
http://oo.startpda.kr:88/ShareGalax....1912_CL966809_REV02_user_low_ship_rooted.tar

E160K
http://oo.startpda.kr:88/ShareGalax....1909_CL966809_REV02_user_low_ship_rooted.tar

E160L
http://oo.startpda.kr:88/ShareGalax....1821_CL966093_REV02_user_low_ship_rooted.tar

.[/I]

Great work man!! I was also looking for this since long... thanks a lot.. pressed it too :)

Problem being now, I am seeing 2 superusers, one earlier superuser since I was rooted previously and now the new SuperSU from the new ROM. Any suggestions on how to remove. Tried though root explorer but can't see any superuser.apk there :(

jairrab

Oct 3, 2010
Great work man!! I was also looking for this since long... thanks a lot.. pressed it too :)

Problem being now, I am seeing 2 superusers, one earlier superuser since I was rooted previously and now the new SuperSU from the new ROM. Any suggestions on how to remove. Tried though root explorer but can't see any superuser.apk there :(

Well, I think you can just simply decide which one of them you want to use, and uninstall the other. If it's a user app, it should be pretty easy to uninstall it. If it's a system app, you may need to use titanium backup to do it.

woopsgoops

Sep 12, 2012
New Delhi
Well, I think you can just simply decide which one of them you want to use, and uninstall the other. If it's a user app, it should be pretty easy to uninstall it. If it's a system app, you may need to use titanium backup to do it.

Yes it is a system app. Can't see it in system\app folder. Tried titanium backup and root explorer too. But can't see the app there.But the super user and SuperSU both apps are there.

Last edited:

ugly_rose

Jun 1, 2012
Wunderbar!

This is perfect. The 4th ICS Rom that I found after searching for so long!

This is awesome indeed, thank you so much jairrab!

I just got the SHV-E160S from a Korean friend and updated it to the latest firmware via KIES (IMM76D.UH24).

As I suspect many others have experienced, I noted to my dismay that I cannot send text messages longer than 80 characters, and that I only have G-service with my 4G plan on T-Mobile in the US.

I read through as much I could find about the Korean Notes on the web, including here on XDA, but a few question marks remain and I was hoping some of you kind gentlemen could help me figure those out.

Four quick questions (althouh detailed answers are definitely welcome :)
  • Will flashing the ROM give me ability to text normally?
  • Will flashing the ROM allow me at least 2G or 3G speeds on T-Mobile or AT&T in the US?
  • Can I revert to the original Korean rom from SK Telecom/Samsung, and if so where can I find it? (I am going back and forth to Korea so having the native rom is immensly helpful)
  • Are there any drawbacks to flashing this phone apart from losing Korean services?

Thank you so much. I am so glad I found at least a tiny teeny Korean Note owning community here on XDA. Hopefully it'll have time to grow and develop. :fingers-crossed:

woopsgoops

Sep 12, 2012
New Delhi

I just got the SHV-E160S from a Korean friend and updated it to the latest firmware via KIES (IMM76D.UH24).

As I suspect many others have experienced, I noted to my dismay that I cannot send text messages longer than 80 characters, and that I only have G-service with my 4G plan on T-Mobile in the US.

:

Hi there,

I will tell you what I knows about the Korean Note till date;

1. You can't just flash any ROM and it will work with the Korean Note, especially the I717 ROM's they will not work. Even I thought it should but apparently there are subtle differences between these phones and Samsung Korea made it different than the I717.

2. There is a hidden menu for every Korean Note, I own the SHV-E160L and it is 319712358 then for the password it is 0821. You can manually select your data connection there. I guess E160L is locked with U+ on LTE and it is CDMA, so it will not work with 4G/LTE. But, you can switch to WCDMA, this gives you 3G speeds, and GSM only will give you GPRS. I am using 3G speeds currently in India.

3. These are the orignal ROM's. For my E160L Kies detects it as orignal and indicates that I am up to date with the firmware.

4. As I said earlier, flashing any ROM will not work, it will need specific ROM's for your particular SHV only. We all are wishing for a good custom ROM, but no success till date. There are some ROM's available for SHV's on KOXDA, but again the language is a big problem, along with the site securities.

I hope this will help you in some regards. Have fun.. :)

ugly_rose

Jun 1, 2012
Thanks

Hi there,

1. You can't just flash any ROM and it will work with the Korean Note, especially the I717 ROM's they will not work. Even I thought it should but apparently there are subtle differences between these phones and Samsung Korea made it different than the I717.

2. There is a hidden menu for every Korean Note, I own the SHV-E160L and it is 319712358 then for the password it is 0821. You can manually select your data connection there. I guess E160L is locked with U+ on LTE and it is CDMA, so it will not work with 4G/LTE. But, you can switch to WCDMA, this gives you 3G speeds, and GSM only will give you GPRS. I am using 3G speeds currently in India.

3. These are the orignal ROM's. For my E160L Kies detects it as orignal and indicates that I am up to date with the firmware.

4. As I said earlier, flashing any ROM will not work, it will need specific ROM's for your particular SHV only. We all are wishing for a good custom ROM, but no success till date. There are some ROM's available for SHV's on KOXDA, but again the language is a big problem, along with the site securities.

Hey woopsgoops, thanks a lot for that information! You might just have saved me a headache or two.

I was seriously going to flash with the T-Mobile Rom+modem, but now I am glad I didn't. I might flash with the ROM supplied in this thread to at least get root and sort out some of the *cough* bloatware *cough* issues.

Firstly I am going to explore this hidden menu if I can set up network etc. for T-Mobile here in the US, so I can get at least 3g. I'll report back on that! It kind of sucks when you go from 4G (eg. having the fastest data in town) to 2g, even though TMO is extremely cheap. :p

Just to let you know, for the SVH-E160S the dial number 319-712-358 is correct, but the password turned out to be 996412, courtesy of another XDA member: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29451233&postcount=3

As for the Chinese websites I am trying to steer clear of those. There's always a nagging feeling of being observed by something whenever I surf China, and then there's the viruses. It might just all be paranoia though. ;)

By the way, what a great phone the Note is. It looks, feels, and works absolutely phenomenal. Good job Samsung, I am sure other manufacturers will start making similar devices. Seems even Apple is heading that direction, abandonig their holy grail "optimal" 3.5 inch screen.

Plus, I am stoked that I could encrypt the entire phone. I was always worried sick with all my passwords etc. lying around my older androids, if they'd ever get stolen or lost.

I'll report back on the US carrier compatibility!

Thanks again!

Reactions: kamenoid

woopsgoops

Sep 12, 2012
New Delhi
Hey woopsgoops, thanks a lot for that information! You might just have saved me a headache or two.

I was seriously going to flash with the T-Mobile Rom+modem, but now I am glad I didn't. I might flash with the ROM supplied in this thread to at least get root and sort out some of the *cough* bloatware *cough* issues.

Firstly I am going to explore this hidden menu if I can set up network etc. for T-Mobile here in the US, so I can get at least 3g. I'll report back on that! It kind of sucks when you go from 4G (eg. having the fastest data in town) to 2g, even though TMO is extremely cheap. :p

Just to let you know, for the SVH-E160S the dial number 319-712-358 is correct, but the password turned out to be 996412, courtesy of another XDA member: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29451233&postcount=3

As for the Chinese websites I am trying to steer clear of those. There's always a nagging feeling of being observed by something whenever I surf China, and then there's the viruses. It might just all be paranoia though. ;)

By the way, what a great phone the Note is. It looks, feels, and works absolutely phenomenal. Good job Samsung, I am sure other manufacturers will start making similar devices. Seems even Apple is heading that direction, abandonig their holy grail "optimal" 3.5 inch screen.

Plus, I am stoked that I could encrypt the entire phone. I was always worried sick with all my passwords etc. lying around my older androids, if they'd ever get stolen or lost.

I'll report back on the US carrier compatibility!

Thanks again!

You are welcome mate. I am glad that it helped you.

Yes, in my opinion you should flash the ROM in this thread, which will give you root access then using titanium backup/ root explorer you can get rid of all the bloatware in the Korean ROM.

For the SMS, make sure that you have your number shown in Settings>About Phone>Status>My Phone Number with country code. If it is not there then you need to borrow an i-phone or Cynogen Mod Android phone (CM7 in my case) and put your number manually via its settings. Since there is no way you can do it on the original ROM running on Android.

Then you can install Handcent SMS and turn it as your default messaging app. This should give you SMS lengths more than 80 characters, but less than 150 characters. Anything beyond or around 150 characters and the SMS will hang up and will show sending forever. I have tried to search for solutions for it like changing the 6 files in system>app folder with N7000's MMS.apk but it didn't worked. So living with it for the time being. At least it is more than 80 characters.

Let us help each other, and hope that someday a kind developer see our pain and give us a custom ROM!!

Reactions: ugly_rose
For the SMS, make sure that you have your number shown in Settings>About Phone>Status>My Phone Number with country code. If it is not there then you need to borrow an i-phone or Cynogen Mod Android phone (CM7 in my case) and put your number manually via its settings. Since there is no way you can do it on the original ROM running on Android.

Then you can install Handcent SMS and turn it as your default messaging app. This should give you SMS lengths more than 80 characters, but less than 150 characters. Anything beyond or around 150 characters and the SMS will hang up and will show sending forever. I have tried to search for solutions for it like changing the 6 files in system>app folder with N7000's MMS.apk but it didn't worked. So living with it for the time being. At least it is more than 80 characters.

Yup, for me this these is the recommended procedures and it works. :)

Reactions: ugly_rose

ugly_rose

Jun 1, 2012
NEWSFLASH: Texting in the US

You are welcome mate. I am glad that it helped you.

Yes, in my opinion you should flash the ROM in this thread, which will give you root access then using titanium backup/ root explorer you can get rid of all the bloatware in the Korean ROM.

Let us help each other, and hope that someday a kind developer see our pain and give us a custom ROM!!

Hey, thanks for this additonal information!

Exploring this phone I go from clarity to clarity. I stumbled upon something while I was texting today. When I used the Google Voice app (I use it for its excellent voicemail service and the extra phone nr it provides) I realized that I can text to my hearts content. No beeps, no conversion to mms, no failed send, no nothing, just pure sending goodness 160+ characters per text. I instantly switched to get all my text to the Google Voice app and replaced the default messaging app on my TouchWiz quickbar. Felt like to easy to be true, but there you go! Sometimes you get good surprises as well.

As you may recall, I was a bit upset about the Korean bloatware that sucked my RAM away, but realized this awesome device actually allows for disabling of apps. I don't actually care if they're on my phone memory as long as they're not running in the background. Good stuff!

I honestly don't even feel compelled to get root anymore, because the only reason of having it - for me personally - would be to get true backup from my TitanitumBackup license, and stuff like that. Now, unless root and/or ROM flash would give me some major improvement such as increased data speeds I don't think it's really worth it for me.

For all the fun of exploring Samsung's maintenance GUI, the hidden menu unfortunately didn't give me much joy. I figured out there are no compatible T-mobile or AT&T 3G frequencies anyway, and all the other carriers such as StraightTalk, SimpleMobile, MetroPCS, etc. just use the antennas of those two anyway. American companies are world class when it comes to crippling the competition. Not a chance for consumers to jump ship without losing an arm or a leg. Creates a sense of belonging I guess :cool:

I am currently trying to straighten out an issue I have when I plug in the phone to my Windows PC USB and it says "Hardware ID missing." It worked well before, before I upgraded to ICS unless I'm mistaken. In any case, I think I can use KIES Air and transfer stuff OTA for now, or put stuff on the SD card I suppose. I even tried the USB drivers from the Korean Samsung website, and downloaded Kies from the same place. Will see how that turns out when I have some time.

Thanks, and have a good weekend now! :good:

inu629

Dec 18, 2010
Wait very long at start up

How long you have to wait after flashing and see the phone go into Android?

I have 160L. After I flash it, I wait at Pink "U+ LTE" loading like forever. (I wait 30mn and still there).

jairrab

Oct 3, 2010
How to Install Latest Rooted Tegrak Kernel/Recovery for Korean Galaxy Note SHV-E160

I’ve created a new thread on XDA for installing Tegrak’s kernel and recovery. Latest kernel and recovery links are also included.

My desire is to make the most definitive and easiest to understand procedure for us Korean Galaxy note owners.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32478601#post32478601

woopsgoops

Sep 12, 2012
New Delhi
Originally Posted by jairrab

How to Install Latest Rooted Tegrak Kernel/Recovery for Korean Galaxy Note SHV-E160
I’ve created a new thread on XDA for installing Tegrak’s kernel and recovery. Latest kernel and recovery links are also included.

My desire is to make the most definitive and easiest to understand procedure for us Korean Galaxy note owners.

http://xdaforums.com/show...1#post32478601

Good Job Jairrab.

Tuguldurbayar

Oct 4, 2012
Hi there

There is a hidden menu for every Korean Note, I own the SHV-E160L and it is 319712358 then for the password it is 0821. You can manually
Hello.
i am digging internet for 8 day but i still digging.
I have SHV-E160L too . i have already flashed Stock rom GB , Custom GB, Custom ICS 4.0.4 But My phone has no Network, Sometimes Limited service.
And i found your post so i did on my phone this hidden menu method but it is still No result, still same.
Please help me . could u pm or send your hidden menu Configuration of all.
so bad so bad so bad Still DIGGING phone is Ripping me On my JOB. Please Help me Guys. i am Super trying, i did a lot of things by a lot of advice on internet.
SHOULD I DO MODEM/RIL FLASHING ON MY KOREAN GALAXY NOTE SHV-E160L But it is needless . There is a lot of roms Have Not same RADIOS. ALL RADIOS, BASEBANDS are not WORKING IN THIS SITUATION.
I did ROOTING already.
i did a lot of Flashing ROMS
i changed Data Setting TO GSM, Or WCDMA or BOTH, but no change. or what should i know it.
additionally i set my phone number by iPhone has Jevey sim and but i didn't add + and zip code before my number.
I AM FROM MONGOLIA . MOBILE SERVICE PROVIDER IS MOBICOM.
What do you need for More information about my Phone? Please Tell ME GUYS, DEVELOPERS.
i can do any thing for getting info from this phone. i have learned "adb shell" recently ... etc
HELLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Admins- apologize for posting it here. Please feel free to move to appropriate location. I just want to help fellow Galaxy Note (korean version) owners. With the help of Google translate, and straining to interpret various chinese and korean websites, I was able to deduce a way to root the Korean note via updating it with rooted stock firmware (Samsung Original Firmware, only it's already Rooted).

How to Root Korean Note via Flashing with Rooted Stock Firmware

Flashing:

• Run Odin in administrator mode (not really sure if it makes a difference but might as well), make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are the only checked items, click the PDA button and select the appropriate firmware file from the list below. Each ROM ~1GB+. Note that the latest firmware is at the bottom of the list for each model.

E160S

E160K

E160L

source: http://matcl.com

Note: Flashing this firmware will not erase your data. It will preserve everything (apps, accounts, SMS, etc), including keeping disabled all the bloat apps I've disabled in the system. Rooting will allow you to permanently remove all these and other protected bloat apps.
    Thank you OP...good work ....g

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32478601#post32478601

:

Hi there,