[ROM] Virtuous v3.2.0 (12/19/10): Stock Sense *3.26.605.1* w/Fixes & Enhancements

Search This thread

jermaine151

Jun 19, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I think you guys need to refresh your browsers because when I mouse over the link for #2, I don't see any extra slashes and it downloaded fine.

Asterdroid

Jun 15, 2010
Providence
I'm assuming it doesn't based on the OP, but does this include the change to build.prop to increase VM heap size to 32m?

If not, any chance that can be added?

nycrazyg

Dec 6, 2007
This is with the latest update installed. Sorry I didn't mention that. I tried uninstalling the update and reinstalling. Still no go. So the, note to self and send email voice search features, worked for you with the update? They're the only ones force closing. Anyone else seeing this too?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Seeknay747

Mar 5, 2009
Thanks a lot rmk40. This is exactly what I was looking for and your instructions are very detailed and easy to follow.

Keep up the great work!

nycrazyg

Dec 6, 2007
This is with the latest update installed. Sorry I didn't mention that. I tried uninstalling the update and reinstalling. Still no go. So the, note to self and send email voice search features, worked for you with the update? They're the only ones force closing. Anyone else seeing this too?

supremex3

Aug 7, 2010
New York
A question:

I installed the 8/1 leak- unrevoked forever, updated radio, updated flash, updated all the bugs too, basically updated everything (free wifi, etc.) so the only thing i don't have will be the newer build 3.21.605.1 - Is that the only difference so far? 3.17.605.0 CL220374 release keys is what i have.

I am happy with my phone and all the time i put in to it... i'm contemplating whether or not to install this new "official" build, is it wise to do that? i know i have to format everything.. is there a way to savage what i have installed (all the apps and stuff)?

I really want to install this new build but losing everything is what's holding me back

Need some advice/suggestion -

khanam

Jul 26, 2010
Miami
does swype work on this? had used the r2 deodexed with bfs kernel but was forced to go back to stock because swype would not work. i dont like the regular keyboard - very difficult to type on it and for me swype is too critical. can somebody please confirm it either way? thanks

Matt Devo

Jun 17, 2010
Round Rock, TX
I am happy with my phone and all the time i put in to it... i'm contemplating whether or not to install this new "official" build, is it wise to do that? i know i have to format everything.. is there a way to savage what i have installed (all the apps and stuff)?

no need to format/wipe data, you can install the "official" OTA leak over any other 2.2 ROM without issue. Obviously you should do a nandroid backup first, just in case, but no issues have been reported yet

quepaso

Jul 10, 2010
I am using swype on this rom no problem. This is a great rom, using king bfs kernel and really stable with good battery life.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

rmk40

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 13, 2010
does swype work on this? had used the r2 deodexed with bfs kernel but was forced to go back to stock because swype would not work. i dont like the regular keyboard - very difficult to type on it and for me swype is too critical. can somebody please confirm it either way? thanks

Yes Swype works just fine. I'm going to guess you are a) using the official beta, b) kept your data from your previous ROM. Both are fine but you'll need to re-activate Swype since it is tied to the build fingerprint, which is now reported as the Incredible as opposed to the N1. Remove both Swype and the Swype installer, reinstall and you should be good to go.

I'm assuming it doesn't based on the OP, but does this include the change to build.prop to increase VM heap size to 32m?

If not, any chance that can be added?

Negative. I don't plan to increase the heap size until I see objective testing done which proves it's actually beneficial. Unless you are having apps force close due to lack of memory there's no reason to have an increased heap.

I think you guys need to refresh your browsers because when I mouse over the link for #2, I don't see any extra slashes and it downloaded fine.

There were extra slashes in the download links added by the forum's editing tools. I've corrected this, so if anyone was having problems downloading before please try again.

rmk40

Jun 13, 2010
Mine did this too, however there is an update for "voice search" in the market that resolves the issue. It's a manual update, but it automatic henceforth.

Having trouble reproducing this one. I just uninstalled the voice search I had going from the market, tried "note to self" and didn't force close.

Can anyone provide me a list of steps on how to break it? As soon as I can have it break for me I'll work on fixing it. In the meantime, anyone having this problem, installing voice search from the market is absolutely the correct recommendation.

s197

Jun 28, 2010
it's built into the kernel. it's not a bug it's the way they wrote it.

So they purposely built it so that to get optimum performance out of your battery you need to fully charge your phone, turn off, charge again, then when it turns green, unplug and charge some more? I find that hard to believe.

Not to mention I emailed HTC (as have many others) about this issue and they said they were aware of it and would be addressing it in the next OTA. This was a few months ago.

jasek78

Jul 28, 2010
FT Gordon
A question:

I installed the 8/1 leak- unrevoked forever, updated radio, updated flash, updated all the bugs too, basically updated everything (free wifi, etc.) so the only thing i don't have will be the newer build 3.21.605.1 - Is that the only difference so far? 3.17.605.0 CL220374 release keys is what i have.

I really want to install this new build but losing everything is what's holding me back

Need some advice/suggestion -
\

try downloading titanium backup from the market and backing up all the user apps and this way you can restore them to the phone after you update the rom

dnoyeb

Nov 15, 2007
Auburn, AL
Looks like they didn't make any modifications to the sound quality on the bluetooth. Still sounds subpar when compared to listening via line. (droid 1 was just as good via bluetooth as it was via the line).

PokerMunkee

Jun 18, 2010
Everything works great, so far. WiFi tether works, so that's all that matters lol.

Now I need to try to get OpenVPN to work with this new kernel......could be an issue.

I'm getting a 33 in linpack. I was getting 6 with 2.1. Woot!

It's fast enough for me, so don't need to overclock it.

Question: My friend has a 2.2 ROM on his Hero and his main screen goes landscape. Is this not possible with the OEM 2.2?

rmk40

Jun 13, 2010
I'm confident this is the official build. I'm actually going to update my posts to reflect that shortly.

celluloidhero

Jun 14, 2010
I need help guys. I downloaded the .zip and applied it to my SD card. Went into recovery tried to apply as a .zip and keep getting signature verification failed. I'm rooted running unrevoked forever. This is the first time I have an issue installing a custom rom. Any help is appreciated.

khanam

Jul 26, 2010
Miami
I am using swype on this rom no problem. This is a great rom, using king bfs kernel and really stable with good battery life.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

thanks! i was using titanium backup to restore swype and maybe thats why it was working well. Could you please tell me which swype version were you using? I was using the red droid skin posted on this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=701198

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Virtuous-2.1.png
    After asking around, I determined there was some interest in a simple, mostly-stock ROM based on the official HTC Sense/Froyo v3.26.605.1 release with only essential changes made; so I decided to go ahead and create one.

ROM Details:

• Based entirely off the off the the official HTC Sense/Froyo v3.26.605.1 release (pulled from signed RUU); which is being rolled out by Verizon via OTA as the final build.

• Moved some stock applications to /data/app, so they can easily be removed. To be clear, these apps remain enabled but can now be optionally removed using any Android uninstaller, rather than having to do it manually. This includes: App Sharing, Adobe Flashplayer, Car Panel, Flashlight, GenieWidget, PDFViewer, Quickoffice, Teeter, My Verizon, 3G Hotspot and YouTube.

• All apps placed in /data/app by the ROM will be automatically restored after a date wipe or factory reset (a special feature of this ROM). These apps can be freely uninstalled via Settings->Applications or the uninstaller of your choice. Note: They will return when the ROM is re-installed or upgraded.

• Disabled applications which the majority seems to agree are bloat, unneeded or can installed from the Market. This includes: Amazon MP3, City ID, HTC Footprints/Widget, VZ Navigator, Skype. If you decide you would like to use any of these apps, the APKs are available in the "system/virtuous" directory.

• Numerous customization options via ROM Manager, such as Virtuous' EZ-Customizer which allows removal of more stock apps without the use of adb or shell, status bar mods provided by pmf, Incredible Revolution theme and more.

• Automatic Virtuous OTA upgrade notification and installation via ROM Manager.

• Minor theme modifications to remove GPS locator icon in the status bar and add transparency to the notification pull down menu. Thanks to pardonmyfreedom (aka pmf) and aiccucs for doing the work.

• Added the Busybox installer application to allow upgrades as they become available. When running the installer, make sure to select /system/xbin as the destination.

• Updated Adobe Flash to the official release provided to N1 users via the Market.

• Updated Google Search and Google Voice Search to the latest Market versions.

• Updated Gmail 2.2.1. The default ROM includes 2.2, so this is a minor upgrade to the latest version available.

• Audio fixes to correct slow playback ("devil voices") of Flash videos on certain sites.

• Removed startup "Drooooooid" sound. It was annoying.

• Added the bash shell for those who work in adb or ssh into their phones. Just run "bash" to use it (it is not the default shell for compatibility reasons).

• Removed cdrom.iso to avoid being prompted to install Verzion/HTC hardware when the device is connected via USB.

Installation:

1. You must be rooted, have nand unlocked and be running a 2.x radio. Follow dadicus' guide for details on how to perform these steps.

2. Perform a nandroid backup of your current ROM, in case you change your mind or encounter issues.

3. If you are coming from another completely stock ROM (i.e. Sense 2.1 or 2.2), you may not have to wipe data. I obviously recommend wiping data (since it will eliminate any possibly bad/stale configuration), but the update script will not do so automatically during installation. Use your best judgement to determine what works best for you.

4. Wipes are NOT required for any upgrade to/from any 2.x version of the ROM; downgrades are a different story.

5. Apply the zip via Clockwork Recovery. It has not been tested with any other recovery.

6. Expect the first boot to take anywhere from 6-10 minutes. Subsequent reboots should be significantly quicker.

Disclaimer

As with any modification (ROM, patch, etc), you run the risk of damaging your device. While unlikely, it is important to consider this possibility before proceeding. I take no responsibility for any such damage, data loss or otherwise.

Hboot Upgrade Instructions

As of Virtuous 3.2.0, hboot 0.92 is now required. This hboot shipped with the original Froyo OTA for the Incredible.

1. Download this file and place it at root of your sdcard.

2. Boot into the bootloader. There are several ways to do this. If you are already booted into Android, use Quickboot and select the Bootloader option. You can also use adb by typing "adb reboot bootloader". Or, simply power down the device. Once it is off, hold the volume down button and then press power.

3. Once in the bootloader, select the first option from the menu "bootloader". You should see a progress bar on the right side of the screen. If you do not, you did not perform step #1 correctly or your sdcard is not formatted FAT32.

4. You will then be prompted to confirm flashing boot, bootloader and recovery. Hit volume up to confirm and then reboot.

5. At this point hboot is upgraded. I recommend reinstalling Virtuous (either via ROM Manager or manually) just to be safe.

Frequently Asked Questions

Visit the FAQ section of our website.

Recommended Extras

Special Thanks

Several folks have been helping with the ROM and I would like to acknowledge them all here in no particular order.

• Unrevoked Team - For enabling customization to begin with.
    • ihtfp69 - Numerous tips on how to fix bugs. Check out his SkyRaider ROMs (Sense / Vanilla)
    • Adrynalyne -Custom Kernel, ROM collaboration and testing.
    • pardonmyfreedom - Location icon modification.
    • brucekey - Suggestions and testing.
    • Berzerker - Suggestions, testing and comedic relief.

Donations

Truth is I do this work because I enjoy it and it is a hobby. I am just pleased that people find what I am providing to be of value.

That being said, several folks have asked me about how to donate. If you would like to buy me a beer and help with hosting hosts, I've put up a link. No obligations whatsoever; you can also contribute by sticking around on this this thread and helping others work through any issues they encounter.

Thanks for trying my ROM!
    So what are the chances of getting a new build of this ROM based on the 2.3.4 build that was leaked a couple days ago?

As promised, I will update to the new official base. I'll post my progress via Twitter and obviously update the thread here when it's ready.
    Virtuous v3.2.0 has been released.

And yes, the custom kernel is available separately.

Enjoy!
    Virtuous 3.2.0 will be released later today (Saturday 12/18).

Changelog is already up:
    http://goo.gl/KwQLR