F22's Latest Rootfs (Apr 19th, 2011) Highlandsun's RIL Support Patches Merged + More

Search This thread

F22

Oct 24, 2009
Editing Key Map/Layout Files

Can I somehow tweak your keyboard layout to and polish special characters? They aren't on keyboard, but I would like to add them to make this phone almost perfect.

Yes it is. It won't be quick or easy however, and will require some real work on your part. Probably the most challenging part is slipping the modified keymap and/or layout file back into your rootfs. Do you have access to a computer running Linux?

If your goal is to make a Polish keymap/layout set then probably the easiest and most straightforward approach would be for me to supply you with an existing keymap/layout set and for you to make the needed alterations for the Polish keyboard. You could then send them back to me so that I can compile your keymap and then slip them into a new version of my rootfs for testing. I plan to submit all of these new keymaps/layouts to the main tree for inclusion in future versions of xdandroid once they're thoroughly tested.

On the other hand if your goal is to make a custom set just for yourself, you'll likely have quite a bit of work ahead of you if you aren't already comfortable with linux.

If it's possible I would like to know how to make them as combination of Sprint Mail key or other.

Android's method of handling the keyboard is rather flawed. It depends on what you're trying to do. Making a key print "special" characters is pretty easy as long as you know, or can successfully look up the UTF8 hex codes for those characters. On the other hand, if you wish to assign a single key two different keycodes such as SEARCH and CAMERA depending on whether the fn key is pressed, that is impossible given the way Android's java framework is written. A physical key's scan code may only have one keycode assigned to it, and functionality tied to the keycode can't be made dependent on a modifier key such as fn, shift or alt.

Last edited:

F22

Oct 24, 2009
b4HOME spreadsheet error

Hi F22

Thanks for this - I'm looking forward to getting my home button back, just about to try it out!

In the spreadsheet you have the information about b4HOME, but the capitalisation isn't right.

Ed

Thanks! I was wondering why people were still adding b4home instead of b4HOME. I'll post an updated spreadsheet shortly.

trusa1

Jul 27, 2009
Zagreb
Hi F22,

I changed keyboard layout rhod100_uk to be able to use the Croatian "special" characters. I have not compiled KCM file because I do not use Linux, so I properly hard coded BIN file. For now, I use changed BIN file mounted via "custom_shells" in the "froyo.user.conf" file and works very well. I also changed KCM file to see what keys are changed.
Could you please slip files into a new version of rootfs for testing.

Attachments

• rhod100_hr.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 4

F22

Oct 24, 2009
Updated Key Listing Spreadsheet

Thanks! I was wondering why people were still adding b4home instead of b4HOME. I'll post an updated spreadsheet shortly.

New key listing spreadsheet posted! Changes include:

1) The b4HOME option is now correctly capitalized. (Previously it was listed as b4home and that didn't work since Linux/Android is case-sensitive.)
2) Entry for rhod100_nl added.
3) Entry for the upcoming rhod110 key map/layout set added.
4) Correctly noted that the rhod300/tilt2 does already have a home key on its keyboard.

See first post for the download link.

Last edited:

F22

Oct 24, 2009
Croatian Key Map

Hi F22,

I changed keyboard layout rhod100_uk to be able to use the Croatian "special" characters. I have not compiled KCM file because I do not use Linux, so I properly hard coded BIN file. For now, I use changed BIN file mounted via "custom_shells" in the "froyo.user.conf" file and works very well. I also changed KCM file to see what keys are changed.

Nice. I'll put it on my to do list for integrating into the rootfs over this weekend.

Reactions: trusa1

F22

Oct 24, 2009
Croatian Key Map

Hi F22,

Hmm...I don't see a user manual for the Croatian model of the rhod100 on HTC's site. Can you take a picture of the keyboard and post it here. I'd like to add the same new keys I've added to the other kbds to this one as well.

trusa1

Jul 27, 2009
Zagreb
Hmm...I don't see a user manual for the Croatian model of the rhod100 on HTC's site. Can you take a picture of the keyboard and post it here. I'd like to add the same new keys I've added to the other kbds to this one as well.

There is no Croatian model of the rhod100. In Croatia we are using UK version of the rhod100, so keyboard layout is very same as is rhod100_uk. Croatian "special" characters I achieved by using combination of FN + Z, S, D, C, V keys. (Ž, Š, Đ, Č, Ć).

Raul^

Nov 14, 2008
Szczecin
Yes it is. It won't be quick or easy however, and will require some real work on your part. Probably the most challenging part is slipping the modified keymap and/or layout file back into your rootfs. Do you have access to a computer running Linux?
Yes. Can't I change keymap from within Android?

If your goal is to make a Polish keymap/layout set then probably the easiest and most straightforward approach would be for me to supply you with an existing keymap/layout set and for you to make the needed alterations for the Polish keyboard. You could then send them back to me so that I can compile your keymap and then slip them into a new version of my rootfs for testing. I plan to submit all of these new keymaps/layouts to the main tree for inclusion in future versions of xdandroid once they're thoroughly tested.
My phone is RHOD400, and I think that way is even better.

On the other hand if your goal is to make a custom set just for yourself, you'll likely have quite a bit of work ahead of you if you aren't already comfortable with linux.
Doing it for myself would be a waste of time. And If I could make it for Sprint, making it for rhod100 (as most TP2 in Poland are HTC ones) would be easier.

A physical key's scan code may only have one keycode assigned to it, and functionality tied to the keycode can't be made dependent on a modifier key such as fn, shift or alt.
I can look up for the codes. So it's not lke in WM. How is it done then?

F22

Oct 24, 2009
Working Mute Button

good job with that mute button ;)

keep up the good work

LOL. Now that I think about it, I was under the impression that the issue with the mute button was in the kernel, and once the kernel was properly adjusted it would be fixed. So I hadn't really looked at it. Manekineko actually brought the subject up with me in a conversation in mid-January about it not working and possibly reassigning it to something else. So I will give him credit for putting the idea in my head of reassigning it, although it wasn't until two days later or so when I actually got around to looking at it. It was only then that I realized that the REAR_MUTE keycode that had been assigned by whoever had added that entry wasn't even defined by android. So I replaced REAR_MUTE with MUTE instead, and then it started working. Very understandably, he did the same thing in parallel at pretty much the same time with the rootfs he released as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: husam666

F22

Oct 24, 2009
New Rootfs Image (Feb 6, 2011)

A new rootfs is up. I've pulled into my build the new RIL (radio interface library) that was just committed by stinebd to the rootfs git, keeping my rootfs up to date. Please let us know if the new RIL has any effects on your handset. I've also added rhod110 support as previously promised.

See the first post for download links and the changelog as always.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmstumme

F22

Oct 24, 2009
Missing Rootfs Link

the download link is missing in the first post, FYI. really looking forward to trying this out for a working home button (i really wanted that long press home for recent list badly)

Quick question, is it possible to reassign the PTT button on my tilt2 to apps and whatnot? I'm trying to read this thread throughly for this info.

Whoops! Fixed! thanks for pointing that oversight out.

As to your question, the keycode for the PTT is assigned in the microp key layout file. Unfortunately, as things currently stand a new microp file needs to be created for each combination of keycode options. While this works for a small number of options, this will quickly become unwieldy for larger numbers, ie. the current 2 options results in 4 possibilities, 3 options would result in 8 possibilties, 4 options would result in 16 different possibilities, etc... I do plan to look into the possibility of reassigning keycodes from a menu within XDAndroid, something similar to what is currently possible with shortcuts, but that's a ways off right now.

Last edited:

the.decoy

Apr 4, 2008
Brisbane
3) Entry for the upcoming rhod110 key map/layout set added.

Awesome! Many thanks for including the RHOD110 in this F22 :D

Do you have any control over what the LOCALE setting will be with that layout?

As I mentioned to you before (on IRC), the rhod100_uk layout would always set the locale to EN_GB (i.e. British news/weather defaults, UK google servers, etc).

Technically the home country for rhod110 is Australia (locale EN_AU) but I understand that plenty of them were (unofficially) exported elsewhere.

pdawg17

Apr 3, 2008
Is this the best place to give feedback on the rootfs changes?

On my Rhod400 the new RIL does NOT help...the last few boots have actually been slower than previous...does it matter what kernel is being used? I'm using the 2/2 test kernel for rhod...

Reactions: manekineko

Naadi900

Jan 11, 2010
Utrecht
Rhod100_nl

Just wondering what changes the Rhod100_nl have? Is it just the name? cause as far as I know a dutch Rhod100 is the uk version? Anyway, no chance of testing for me yet, Rhodless for a week now, stupid repairs.. My fingers are freaking out on a samsung dumbphone!

F22

Oct 24, 2009
Just wondering what changes the Rhod100_nl have? Is it just the name? cause as far as I know a dutch Rhod100 is the uk version? Anyway, no chance of testing for me yet, Rhodless for a week now, stupid repairs.. My fingers are freaking out on a samsung dumbphone!

It's the same. So no, there wasn't any real work involved to add it. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    April 19, 2011 Update #2 - Second new rootfs of the day for those who want to use Hylandsun's RIL. The old sed line bug was inadvertently reintroduced in the merge request. It's now fixed.

April 19, 2011 Update #1 - A new init.android binary has been added to the rootfs version that supports Hylandsun's RIL. It was missing from the patches in the merge request used to make yesterday's build.

April 18, 2011 Update - Highlandsun's rootfs RIL support patches have been merged into my rootfs. There are now two versions, a vanilla version without support for his ril, and a second version with all the rootfs patches needed to support it. Note that you'll still need the RIL and any other modifications he may have made to the system.ext2 partition. See the changelog below for other additions.

---

I've overhauled -ALL- of the rhodium keymaps and layouts and added lots of new keys. I'm thus making a rootfs image available for testing before these changes get submitted to the git tree. It is built from the latest stock rootfs (Feb. 5th) with my modifications added on top. Changes from the stock rootfs include:

1) Key Map/Layout Sets Added and/or Fixed: Support for the rhod100_es (European Spanish), rhod100_nl (Dutch), and rhod110 (Australian) keyboards has been added. Bombenbach's umlaut fixes have been incorporated into the rhod100_de (German) keymap.

2) Camera Button: Rhod300/Tilt2's have their push to talk button assigned to camera by default. All other rhodium models have the option to reassign front panel button #4 (end) to CAMERA by adding gpiokeyopts=b4CAMERA to set cmdline in startup.txt. See note underneath (2) for info on losing ENDCALL.

3) Home Button: There are three possibilities for those desiring a HOME button whose long press will open up the recent apps list:
    1. Reassign the end button to HOME by adding gpiokeyopts=b4HOME to set cmdline in startup.txt.
    2. Reassign the power button to HOME and the end button to POWER by adding gpiokeyopts=b4POWER-powerHOME to set cmdline in startup.txt.
    3. Reassign the call button to HOME by changing physkeyboard=<your_rhod_model> to physkeyboard=<your_rhod_model>-b1HOME on set cmdline in startup.txt.
    NOTE: If you reassign the end button you will lose its ability to end calls. You can still end a call by pressing Menu and then tapping end call. Alternately you can go into Settings->Accessibility and check the box that says: Power Button Ends Call. This will give the power button the additional ability to end calls during a call. If you've reassigned the power button via option (2) above, then this will be your old end button.

4) SYM Key: The symbol key now works.

5) Ctrl Key: The control key now works within Terminal Emulator, ConnectBot and other apps that recognize dpad_center (sometimes referred to as the "jogball") as ctrl. On the rhodium 300, 400 and 500's which don't have a printed ctrl key, this functionality has been assigned to the OK (300/Tilt2), SMS (400) and star (500) keys respectively. Do not hold this key down. Simply press it once much like you would the shift or alt keys before pressing the appropriate letter.

6) Search Key & Shortcuts: The Envelope key is now Search. Holding down Envelope and pressing another key also acts as a shortcut. By default:
    • envelope+b opens up the browser.
    • envelope+c opens up contacts.
    • envelope+e opens up email.
    • envelope+g opens up gmail.
    • envelope+l opens up the calendar.
    • envelope+p opens up the music player.
    • envelope+s opens up messaging.

All rhodiums now have the ability to reassign front panel button #4 (end) to SEARCH as well by adding gpiokeyopts=b4SEARCH to set cmdline in startup.txt.
    For the complete list along with the ability to assign/reassign them go to Settings>Applications>Quick launch.

7) Rhod300/Tilt2 - Search Key & Shortcuts: No dedicated envelope key is present (it shares a button with "," ), but the home keyboard key and/or the push to talk key may be reassigned to Search by extending the physkeyboard=tilt2 or physkeyboard=rhod300 entry in startup.txt to physkeyboard=rhod300-homeSEARCH, physkeyboard=rhod300-pttSEARCH, or for both, physkeyboard=rhod300-homeSEARCH-pttSEARCH.

8) Rear Mute Button - This button now mutes the mic during calls.

9) Lots of other keys added. All keyboards get all of the characters commonly found on desktop keyboards including, but not limited to, braces, brackets, the pipe, the tilde, the backslash, the backquote, and inequality symbols. And yes, the Italian keyboard finally gets the "?" character! See the spreadsheet available under downloads below for details on all the additions for each rhodium model. It is saved in the open document spreadsheet format.

Changelog
    Apr 18th
    • Git Pull: add sysfs amber led and auto_backlight write support
    • Significantly Reduced rootfs size by deleting unneeded overhead.
    • Reduced 7zip dictionary size from 16MB to 1MB to enable decompression directly on the TP2.
    Apr 13th
    • The Spanish Rhod100 keyboard (rhod100_es) is now supported. Mewzicki's adjustments have been merged in with mine.
    Mar 1st
    • Git Pull: gingerbread: Decouple libs from rootfs, use versions provided in /system.
    Feb 28th
    • Updated Init Logic - gpio key options now prefixed with "gpiokeyopts=", so b4HOME is now gpiokeyopts=b4HOME
    • New Option: gpiokeyopts=b4POWER-powerHOME - reassigns the power button to home and the end button to power.
    • New Option: gpiokeyopts=b4SEARCH - reassigns the end button to search.
    • New Option: gpiokeyopts=b4CAMERA - reassigns the end button to camera, requires working camera.
    • New Option: physkeyboard=<your_rhod_model>-b1HOME - reassigns the call button to home.
    Feb 13th
    • Rhod110: Added missing symbolic link to fix key layout.
    • Rhod300/Tilt2: Changed the keycodes assigned to the ! and @ keys to alternatives that are less likely to cause issues, and thus work more reliably.
    Feb 10th
    • Git Pull: New RIL.
    Feb 9th
    • Git Pull: New libsensor (fixes the system_server bug, please report back on this).
    • Git Pull: Memory Handling Fix.
    Feb 6th
    • Git Pull: New RIL (Radio Interface Library).
    • Support for rhod110 added.
    Feb 2nd b
    • Bug Fix: Startup options tilt2-pttSEARCH, tilt2-homeSEARCH, rhod300-pttSEARCH and rhod300-homeSEARCH now correctly assign SEARCH when selected.
    Feb 2nd a
    • Bug Fix: Corrected typo in rhod500 microp layout file preventing it from loading.
    Feb 1st
    • Bug Fix: Created missing link which prevented the tilt2 microp layout file from being copied to the right place.
    • Added default keymap/layout set (rhod100_uk) for rhodium if none specified.
    Jan 31st
    • initial release

Downloads
    Rootfs Image - rootfs-f22-20110418-aaf47ce.img.7z (Updated Apr. 18th - see changelog above for details.)
    Rootfs Image w/Highlandsun RIL support - rootfs-f22-hyc-20110419-e96477d.img.7z (Updated Apr. 19th - Fixed bad sed line in init, Added missing init.android binary.)
    Complete Key Listing Spreadsheet - f22_pub_rhodium_keymap_project_20110418.ods (Updated April 18th - now includes new Spanish Key Map keys.)

Instructions
    1) Download the rootfs image listed above.
    2) Unzip the file via the 7zip utility.
    3) Rename it to rootfs.img.
    4) Drop it into your android boot folder.
    5) If you wish to reassign the end button to something else, then add/edit one of the following to set cmdline in startup.txt:
    • gpiokeyopts=b4HOME
    • gpiokeyopts=b4POWER-powerHOME
    • gpiokeyopts=b4SEARCH
    • gpiokeyopts=b4CAMERA
    6) If you wish to reassign the call button to home, then change physkeyboard=<your_rhod_model> to physkeyboard=<your_rhod_model>-b1HOME. Examples:
    • rhod100_uk-b1HOME
    • rhod210-b1HOME

7) If you have a Rhod300/Tilt2 and wish to reassign either the home keyboard key or the push to talk button to search, then change physkeyboard=tilt2 in startup.txt to:
    • physkeyboard=rhod300-homeSEARCH or physkeyboard=tilt2-homeSEARCH
    • physkeyboard=rhod300-pttSEARCH or physkeyboard=tilt2-pttSEARCH
    • physkeyboard=rhod300-homeSEARCH-pttSEARCH or physkeyboard=tilt2-homeSEARCH-pttSEARCH

Note that the b1HOME option given in (6) above may be tacked on also. Examples:
    • physkeyboard=rhod300-b1HOME-homeSEARCH
    • physkeyboard=rhod300-b1HOME-pttSEARCH
    • physkeyboard=rhod300-b1HOME-homeSEARCH-pttSEARCH
    8) Restart your phone in Android.
    9) If you remapped your endcall button to something else and would like to now assign your power button the ability to end calls while within a call, go to to Settings->Accessibility and check the box that says: Power Button Ends Call.
    10) Download the Complete Key Listing spreadsheet above if you're interested in seeing the complete list.

Enjoy your new keys. :)
    New April 18th Rootfs

Lots of New Stuff...
    • Highlandsun's rootfs RIL support patches have been merged. There is no longer a need to hand patch my rootfs if you want to use his RIL.
    • The file size of my rootfs.img has been significantly reduced without any loss of functionality.
    • The 7z dictionary size has been reduced from 16MB to 1MB so the file can be decompressed on the TP2 if someone chooses.
    • mweirauch's latest patch to the official git which adds sysfs write support for the amber led and autobacklight has been added.

As always, see the 1st post in this thread for the download info.

Enjoy!
    Available Keymaps/Layout Sets

In this rootfs, the following rhodium keymap/layout sets are available:

rhod100_de
    rhod100_es - new!
    rhod100_fr
    rhod100_it
    rhod100_nl - new!
    rhod100_nordic
    rhod100_uk
    rhod110 - new!
    rhod210
    rhod300 or tilt2
    rhod400
    rhod500

They may be selected in the usual physkeyboard= manner from within the startup.txt file in the android boot folder. If you experience issues with any of these keymap/layout sets after downloading & installing the rootfs above please do not hesitate to let me know.
    New Home, Power, Search & Camera Button Options

By popular demand, I've added the ability to reassign the power button to HOME and front panel button 4 (end) to POWER. In addition, I've added the ability to reassign button 4 to SEARCH and CAMERA as well. So b4 can now be set to HOME, POWER, SEARCH or CAMERA depending on one's preference. Finally I've also added the ability to reassign front panel button #1 to HOME like it is on most native android phones. The first post has been updated with the details. See the changelog if you just want to see the new stuff.
    New Rootfs - Feb 13th

New Rootfs posted. Changes include:
    • Rhod110: Missing microp key layout link added.
    • Rhod300/Tilt2: Reassigned ! and @ to keycodes that don't have special properties, and are thus less likely to cause issues.

See the first post in this thread for the updated download link.