[mod]Boosting Signal Strength (hspa/gprs)

Search This thread

djscopesofm

Nov 7, 2009
Merrylands
technofaq.org
If anyone has anymore info on the ro.ril. properties, I would greatly appreciate it.

It would also be great if every shared the script they use with which network.

You'll need a rooted Streak and Root Explorer.

Add/edit these entries to "/system/build.prop" (you must mount to r/w and open with Text Editor). Make sure that these are not already in your build.prop, if they are, then just edit the values.

ro.ril.hsxpa=2 (higher values are invalid until proven otherwise)
[0=UMTS] [1=HSPDA only] [2=HSPDA & HSUPA]

ro.ril.gprsclass=10 (Class 10 to save battery)
The Streak supports Class 12 GPRS, set to 12 to increase EDGE speed

ro.ril.hep=1 (no info available, no change when turned off)

ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
Enable "dual transfer mode" on EDGE networks; requires different GPRS class setting. Only set this to 1 if your network allows simultaneous transfer of Circuit switched (CS) voice and Packet switched (PS) data over the same radio channel (ARFCN).

ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8 (Cat 8 is the Streak's max)

ro.ril.hsupa.category=6 (Cat 6 is the Streak's max)

ro.ril.enable.a53=1 (enable increased ciphering on HSDPA/HSUPA)

ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1 (Adds the 3G prefix e.g. Optus 3G, etc.)

All Carries have their own specific settings they should use.

As Im using Optus Prepaid in Australia these are the setting I use. Lots of experimenting went into these and my 3G works better than ever. Best SpeedTest I've got was D2.98/U1.52 48ms ping on 4 bars, average is about D2.5/U1.0 80ms.

Code:
ro.ril.enable.dtm=0
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
ro.ril.hep=0
ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.enable.a53=1

Thanks to nickshertzer here are the setting for AT&T
How to Increase AT&T 3G Speed on Android

• Includes step by step to editing build.prop via ADB or Root Explorer.

NOTE
After adding, save and remount to r/o. You might need to restart TWISE to get this completely working.

Happy Streaking =)

This will not increase the power of your antenna or increase radiation. All this does is choose the best profiles for EDGE/HSDPA/HSUPA. Its proven to increase speed and connection strength.

Last edited:

lufc

Retired Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Oct 9, 2007
Blackpool UK
www.leedsunited.com
You'll need a rooted streak and Root Explorer.

Add these values to /system/build.prop (you must mount to r/w and open as text editor)

Code:
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
ro.ril.enable.a53=1
ro.ril.htcmaskw1.bitmask = 4294967295
ro.ril.htcmaskw1 = 14449
ro.ril.hsupa.category = 5

After adding, save and remount to r/o. You might need to restart TWISE to get this completely working.

Happy Streaking =)

NOTE:

This will not increase the power of your antenna or increase radiation, all this does is choose the best profiles for gsm/hspa, dunno exactly how it works, but its great for indoors where u dont get a good hspa signal

Thanks for putting this together nice work:)

schizo

May 11, 2007
Jakarta
www.freeratio.org
You'll need a rooted streak and Root Explorer.

Code:
ro.ril.htcmaskw1.bitmask = 4294967295
ro.ril.htcmaskw1 = 14449
ro.ril.hsupa.category = 5

It sounds make sense, modifying the RIL parameter. However I found those 3 lines a little bit .... maybe the first two lines are unnecessary due to our device is not HTC? And for all those lines, i think there should be no blank spaces between characters. I might be wrong though :D

2devnull

Jan 5, 2011
I posted em ages ago, they are in steves streakmod rom

the bitmask ones won't make a difference, as they aren't valid for the streak..
If you're seeing a difference its placebo I'm afraid

Hey, I'm on SD 1.7.0 and I don't see them in my build.props? Should they be in there or did Steve already include it somewhere else in the ROM and therefore no need for me to add it to the build.prop?

Thank you.

mellojoe

Jul 10, 2009
When I saw this on DJ_Steve's StreakDroid thread, I tried it. It broke my data connection. I had no WiFi and no 3g. I deleted the edits, and everything worked fine after that.

I might go back and try it with the double - reboot, though.

2devnull

Jan 5, 2011
So, to try these out, put them in build.prop, do a double reboot and if it didn't break anything, then keep them? Else remove them and double reboot again?

Spectre51

Worked on my US unlocked streak on 1.7.0. Don't know if it really changed anything. Speeds are about the same and signal strength looks the same. Wifi still works fine.

UPDATE: Spoke too soon wifi broke. Connects to my router but no data. Uninstalling.

Dell Streak powered by StreakDroid 1.7.0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If anyone has anymore info on the ro.ril. properties, I would greatly appreciate it.

It would also be great if every shared the script they use with which network.

You'll need a rooted Streak and Root Explorer.

Add/edit these entries to "/system/build.prop" (you must mount to r/w and open with Text Editor). Make sure that these are not already in your build.prop, if they are, then just edit the values.

ro.ril.hsxpa=2 (higher values are invalid until proven otherwise)
    [0=UMTS] [1=HSPDA only] [2=HSPDA & HSUPA]

ro.ril.gprsclass=10 (Class 10 to save battery)
    The Streak supports Class 12 GPRS, set to 12 to increase EDGE speed

ro.ril.hep=1 (no info available, no change when turned off)

ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
    Enable "dual transfer mode" on EDGE networks; requires different GPRS class setting. Only set this to 1 if your network allows simultaneous transfer of Circuit switched (CS) voice and Packet switched (PS) data over the same radio channel (ARFCN).

ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8 (Cat 8 is the Streak's max)

ro.ril.hsupa.category=6 (Cat 6 is the Streak's max)

ro.ril.enable.a53=1 (enable increased ciphering on HSDPA/HSUPA)

ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1 (Adds the 3G prefix e.g. Optus 3G, etc.)

All Carries have their own specific settings they should use.

As Im using Optus Prepaid in Australia these are the setting I use. Lots of experimenting went into these and my 3G works better than ever. Best SpeedTest I've got was D2.98/U1.52 48ms ping on 4 bars, average is about D2.5/U1.0 80ms.

Code:
    ro.ril.enable.dtm=0
    ro.ril.gprsclass=10
    ro.ril.hep=0
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
    ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
    ro.ril.hsxpa=2
    ro.ril.enable.a53=1

Thanks to nickshertzer here are the setting for AT&T
    How to Increase AT&T 3G Speed on Android

• Includes step by step to editing build.prop via ADB or Root Explorer.

NOTE

Happy Streaking =)

This will not increase the power of your antenna or increase radiation. All this does is choose the best profiles for EDGE/HSDPA/HSUPA. Its proven to increase speed and connection strength.
    Seriously..?? Not trying to offend? but yet you post in open forum that he sounds like a novice? Were you a novice once? Remember those days? Then lay off man, let the man do his thing and mind your own damn business. He's trying to help. Instead of busting on him, why not say thank you? What the hell is wrong with people these days...damn

it doesn't bother me... there's too many trolls on the net to care about ****. as long as people help out the troll just fade away :)
    guys, keep in mind, If you're on AT&T or others, I was digging through many files in my Streak. There are like a dozen Throttling.smali files, as well as in system/data/..somewhere there I found the throttling log created. Yes I deleted it and speeds increased. So even if you don't have a warning message, you may still be getting throttled. The carriers are sneaky.

Can u give us a step by step on where to find these?

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA Premium App
    No offense, but you sound like a novice at Android development. Where did you hear about this build.prop tweak? Do you work for a cell tower contractor? Seriously I'm not trying to offend you, just confused.

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App

I did my own research on google for these tweaks. They seem legit. Go have a look ;)
    I did some additional testing with values and found some things that Amon_RA was doing with the Nexus One.

Currently on SimpleStreak 1.2 perfmod with 353 AMS

Code:
    ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
    ro.ril.gprsclass=12
    ro.ril.hep=1
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=14
    ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
    ro.ril.hsxpa=5

Place that at the end of your build.prop and make sure there is a blank line at the very end. Reboot twice and test.

I went from 439kbps - 900kbps down / 1079kbps up without these settings to 2978kbps down / 1104kbps up

Your mileage may vary.