Google is looking for your feedback!

Search This thread

Louer Adun

Jan 19, 2010
I just got off the phone with Google technical support. In fact I spent about 40 minutes on the phone with them discussing bugs/problems and feature suggestions with the representative. Google is actively looking for our feedback to improve the devices so feel free to give them a call and contribute your two cents.

Google Play Support: 855-836-3987

Issues/Features I had contacted them about:
Low volume in Netflix
1080p content scaled to 1920x1200 on a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor (other devices scale properly)
Feature request to add an option for auto power off of the device after a specified amount of inactivity

Reactions: kingnarkissos

Dungeon47

Oct 2, 2010
The Mountains
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7 Pro
Just left feedback about Netflix and Chromecast in general specifically:
The need for the Chromecast app to also act as a universal remote to play/pause/next/prev/stop playback from any source without having to go back into the app to make the notification appear.
A widget with basic controls for the above.
Netflix being able to auto-advance show episodes.
Being able to turn off the TV.

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Yes, we do.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Thank you. Can you tell whoever the right person is to make the stock Play Store app Multi-DPI friendly? Or at least have an option for it?

djeaton

Mar 13, 2011
Canton, GA
www.amazon.com

TabGuy

Jun 20, 2011
Feature request to add an option for auto power off of the device after a specified amount of inactivity

How can that work? I can't image going to my wall unit, opening up the door, reaching behind my Onkyo surround sound receiver, finding the Chromecast amongst a bunch of wires and pressing a button to turn it on. Can you imagine asking the wife to do that?

I hope they don't implement this feature.

Louer Adun

Jan 19, 2010
How can that work? I can't image going to my wall unit, opening up the door, reaching behind my Onkyo surround sound receiver, finding the Chromecast amongst a bunch of wires and pressing a button to turn it on. Can you imagine asking the wife to do that?

I hope they don't implement this feature.

Sorry I guess I should have been more specific...

It wouldn't actually power down the Chromecast, it would simply disable output of the video signal to the TV/Monitor. If your TV/Monitor has an "auto power off" option when no signal is present, then it will turn itself off. The Chromecast would turn the signal back on when a new cast has started. Pretty much the same idea as the monitor power saving features on a PC. The last thing I want to do is leave my TV/Monitor on all night after watching a show before bed.

derekr44

Mar 13, 2009
Gilbert, Arizona
Sorry I guess I should have been more specific...

It wouldn't actually power down the Chromecast, it would simply disable output of the video signal to the TV/Monitor. If your TV/Monitor has an "auto power off" option when no signal is present, then it will turn itself off. The Chromecast would turn the signal back on when a new cast has started. Pretty much the same idea as the monitor power saving features on a PC. The last thing I want to do is leave my TV/Monitor on all night after watching a show before bed.

If your TV has a usb port on it, you can power the Chromecast by plugging in its power cable to that usb port. When I shut off the tv, the Chromecast shuts off too. That's what I do with mine.

TabGuy

Jun 20, 2011
If your TV has a usb port on it, you can power the Chromecast by plugging in its power cable to that usb port. When I shut off the tv, the Chromecast shuts off too. That's what I do with mine.

I have my Chromecast plugged into my AVR and it does the same. When I turn the AVR off the Chromecast also turns off.

I think the actual physical Chromecast device is just a transitional product. Future TVs and AVRs will have this software built into them.

Reactions: derekr44

Louer Adun

Jan 19, 2010
I have my Chromecast plugged into my AVR and it does the same. When I turn the AVR off the Chromecast also turns off.

I think the actual physical Chromecast device is just a transitional product. Future TVs and AVRs will have this software built into them.

I have my Chromecast set up this same way on my 40" TV in the living room. But in my Bedroom I have my Chromecast attached to a 28" computer monitor (so there is no remote). My only option for turning off the unit is to get out of bed and turn the monitor off directly. This previously worked just fine using my media center PC in the bedroom as the PC was smart enough to cut signal to the monitor after inactivity. Such a feature is not currently possible on the Chromecast (hence why I had requested it).

vels

Feb 26, 2006
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does Google consider adding HLS support ?
Or at least provide guidelines on how to map existing M3U8 playlists that we have to DASH .MPD ?

Thanks !

neo4uo

Nov 27, 2010
Alabama
Yes, we do.

If you have a voice with Google or work for them...let them know that all they got to do is put that final SDK out with the quickness. With the dev community as a whole there is and will be a slew of apps that would project this $35 dollar piece of hardware to the moon. People would say Apple what? Roku what?
Just my $.02. I am sure u and/or Google knows this already though. I just can't contain my excitement knowing the potential that the chromecast has.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Louer Adun

Jan 19, 2010
I am no longer using my chromecast or the display in question, however I do still have both. I will test for you shortly.

I have since moved to using Nvidia Shields for all the TVs in the house, they are quite wonderful media player devices.

I just plugged the Chromecast in, and it updated (had been sitting on the shelf for a while). After the update, the same problem is exhibited. I have 2 aspect ratio options in the monitor settings, "Full" and "Fit". Both provide a 16:9 1920x1080p signal stretched to the 16:10 1920x1200 resolution.

Reactions: SGH-i200

SGH-i200

Aug 31, 2009
Sony Xperia XZ1
Google Pixel 2
Nvidia Shield on 1920x1200 display

I have 2 aspect ratio options in the monitor settings, "Full" and "Fit". Both provide a 16:9 1920x1080p signal stretched to the 16:10 1920x1200 resolution.
Thanks for testing this out for me! To bad Google did not fix the bug you mentioned here back in August 2013...

I have since moved to using Nvidia Shields for all the TVs in the house, they are quite wonderful media player devices.
Which Nvidia Shield do you use?

Louer Adun

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks for testing this out for me! To bad Google did not fix the bug you mentioned here back in August 2013...

Which Nvidia Shield do you use?

I am using an NVidia Shield 2015 and 2017 model, both 16GB. However I am not using them on the 32 inch monitor with the 16:10 aspect ratio so I can't comment on whether they would do the same thing with their signal. I actually got a new TV a month ago (Samsung 60KS8000) with 4K and HDR. Shield 2017 had 0 issues streaming a 65mbit/s bitrate HEVC/x265 movie from Plex on my local desktop, I was blown away at the quality.

The other pro to the Shield is it has Gamestream if you have an Nvidia card and a decent network. It also has a Chromecast baked in, so I didn't lose any features when I upgraded from my Chromecasts.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just got off the phone with Google technical support. In fact I spent about 40 minutes on the phone with them discussing bugs/problems and feature suggestions with the representative. Google is actively looking for our feedback to improve the devices so feel free to give them a call and contribute your two cents.

Google Play Support: 855-836-3987

Issues/Features I had contacted them about:
    Low volume in Netflix
    1080p content scaled to 1920x1200 on a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor (other devices scale properly)
    I wonder if Google read these forums about their devices?

Yes, we do.

I am no longer using my chromecast or the display in question, however I do still have both. I will test for you shortly.

I just plugged the Chromecast in, and it updated (had been sitting on the shelf for a while). After the update, the same problem is exhibited. I have 2 aspect ratio options in the monitor settings, "Full" and "Fit". Both provide a 16:9 1920x1080p signal stretched to the 16:10 1920x1200 resolution.