Internal memory...

Search This thread

solace.discord

Sep 18, 2009
Maine
gadgetgeekgrrl.blogspot.com
I'm just a reader..

I agree that if you expect something that was advertised, that is what you should get. I agree that there seems to be something wrong with the internal memory- usable or hidden or what-have-you.

I also agree that it's too early in to know wth is going on. I agree with previous posts that everyone should wait until there is root to figure this out.

you don't know what you don't know, and in this case, you have to be a little patient before giving a full reaction.

daijizai

Oct 27, 2005
I'm just a reader..

I agree that if you expect something that was advertised, that is what you should get. I agree that there seems to be something wrong with the internal memory- usable or hidden or what-have-you.

I also agree that it's too early in to know wth is going on. I agree with previous posts that everyone should wait until there is root to figure this out.

you don't know what you don't know, and in this case, you have to be a little patient before giving a full reaction.
Dude, there is root. It is figured out... We do not have 4 GB

Gr8gorilla

Jan 29, 2010
Atlanta, Ga
Wow, people are still being morons about the back order status?

As I said before, FACT - it says back ordered like any other pre order in the TMO system because its a PRE ORDER - understand the concept? There is no conspiracy about it, I checked it out myself at work and thats what was noted down as to why it says back order.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

My order was never on Backorder status for a single second. It said pending shipping and then it said completed. It never said back order a single time.

extechguy

Oct 2, 2010
How does mass storage sizing work in android?

I've seen a lot of speculation and assumption about how the raw block device drivers size storage, but I used to do Unix firmware, kernel, and device driver work, and what we need to know is how flash memory sizing works on Android with qualcomm chipsets.

This isn't RAM where you can size it dynamically and just use it.

Filesystems are usually copied to devices, not created during the manufacturing process. It's very possible that what /dev is reporting is based on a partition table that has been copied into the raw flash device as part of the manufacturing process. If that's so, it will report whatever it's been told. There could indeed be space that's not visible to the driver.

At Silicon Graphics, we used to have separate commands that reported the actual hardware configuration, and what's reported there could be different from what a driver reported.

Anyone know how flash sizing is done in the Linux device drivers on HTC Android phones?

I'm sure some of you XDA guys know the answer!

Peace,

Steve W.

j0nkatz

Mar 18, 2006
Springville
as posted on their facebook page...

"T-Mobile USA Thanks for the questions about the G2's memory. Here's the scoop: The G2 includes 4GB of internal memory, of which a portion is accessible for downloading applications from the Android Market and a portion is allocated for both the operating system and preloaded applications. You can also store content and some applications on the included 8GB SD card, which is expandable up to 32GB."

Gr8gorilla

Jan 29, 2010
Atlanta, Ga
as posted on their facebook page...

"T-Mobile USA Thanks for the questions about the G2's memory. Here's the scoop: The G2 includes 4GB of internal memory, of which a portion is accessible for downloading applications from the Android Market and a portion is allocated for both the operating system and preloaded applications. You can also store content and some applications on the included 8GB SD card, which is expandable up to 32GB."

Wow and I posted on my facebook page that they are full of ****, I also posted that you won a million dollars, all you have to do is go down to the stoplight on the corner and Ed Mcmahon is waiting for you with a Giant Check, don't fall down and hurt yourself in your haste to receive you cash!

Gr8gorilla

Jan 29, 2010
Atlanta, Ga
on another note there Genius who believes anything because someone wrote it on their facebook wall.

Why can't anyone find this mysterious 2GB. If it existed, the guys who rooted the phone already would have found it.....but alas it is not there.

If was there it would be in the totals. Yes it may not show up as app storage but it would be somewhere, even if that somewhere was unpartitioned space.

It isn't there, Tmobile is doing Damage control, You will get a new phone, and the phones that sell on the 6th will have the correct amount of memory.

Gr8gorilla

Jan 29, 2010
Atlanta, Ga
I am not sure if I am more insulted by the lack of quality control for a $500 device or Tmobile and HTC lying about it. I think if they had come out and said: "There was an isolated issue with a few devices, and we are replacing those handsets." It would have been a lot less damaging. I really think lying about the problem is going to make customers lose faith in the long run. I am just really disappointed in Tmobile right now.

I am little upset that they are basically calling us stupid as well.

ddgarcia05

Mar 28, 2010
Edinburg / Mcallen, Texas
So, really what can we do about this? I really doubt T-Mobile is going to admit to any wrong doing. T-Mobile has apparently made it impossible for HTC to admit to anything by claiming there is nothing wrong.

I'm concerned because two years ago android could fit perfectly into the G1, fast forward to now and it can't handle 2.2 and all our apps. What's going to happen two years from now? Is the 2gig internal memory going to be able to fit future android builds?....I want my 4gigs.

thedarkpassenger

Aug 2, 2010
I am not sure if I am more insulted by the lack of quality control for a $500 device or Tmobile and HTC lying about it. I think if they had come out and said: "There was an isolated issue with a few devices, and we are replacing those handsets." It would have been a lot less damaging. I really think lying about the problem is going to make customers lose faith in the long run. I am just really disappointed in Tmobile right now.

I am little upset that they are basically calling us stupid as well.

I totally agree with you. First the Vibrant GPS problem (among so many others), now this. If this ends up being exactly what it seems, I doubt I'll be extending my contract ever again.

The consumer should not be the ones finding these issues. That's what QA is for, and there is a severe lack of it happening over at tmobile. If testing these devices before a single unit gets delivered is too much to ask for, so is my business.

It would be a different story if the GPS problem on the Vibrant, or this G2 problem, were small isolated incidents. But GPS?? The phones internal storage??

Unacceptable.

Gr8gorilla

Jan 29, 2010
Atlanta, Ga
In my opinion, next week someone will tear down a phone and get the part number off of the Nand chip, they will look it up and it will say it is a 1.5 GB or so Nand chip, and then Tmobile will say: "We didn't manufacture the phone, HTC did that, and they told us that everything was as it should be." They will hand the bag to HTC, screw them and, then do their best to make good with their current customers.

Jon C

Jul 17, 2010
Seattle
I totally agree with you. First the Vibrant GPS problem (among so many others), now this. If this ends up being exactly what it seems, I doubt I'll be extending my contract ever again.

The consumer should not be the ones finding these issues. That's what QA is for, and there is a severe lack of it happening over at tmobile. If testing these devices before a single unit gets delivered is too much to ask for, so is my business.

It would be a different story if the GPS problem on the Vibrant, or this G2 problem, were small isolated incidents. But GPS?? The phones internal storage??

Unacceptable.

Well, you just about summed it up. T-Mo sure is trying to hemorrhage customers, it seems.

AerosSaga

Jun 3, 2006
I would encourage everyone here to post in the '4Gb of memory' thread of the t-mobile forum. This is unacceptable.

extechguy

Oct 2, 2010
unpartitoned space doesn't show up in fdisk

There is no reason for them to hide it in the first place it simply has the 1.5GB ROM - Around 300MB for the ROM = 1.2GB.

If the partition was hidden it would show up in fdisk but not as an exact drive.

fdisk won't show space that's not partitioned. The driver has to know about it.

No one has shown anything except what the filesystem utilities think. They may not know how much unpartitioned spaceis out there. Maybe T-Mobile got "clever" so they could reallocate memory in the future and avoid the upgrade problems the G1 had... If they did, I think they WAY overdid it, but let's wait until some of the hackers put a ROM on there and find out!

Steve

KnightMAREcrow

Jul 23, 2009
Chicago
Gr8Gorilla is entirely correct in being upset over this debacle. To call what T-mobile is doing as damage control is completely ridiculous. I received my unit day 1 and I bought it under the assumption that 4gb would be included. Since it clearly is not I'm in the right to be upset. Don't sell me a Porsche with a ford focus engine and say it still works or it's still an engine. Not right at all. This should have been handled head on without dancing around the issue until it's figured out.

To people saying then don't buy it, I already did. I do want to keep and not wait another month or more (most likely) for another new phone to come out. I just want what was advertised, that's all.

Probably won't hear anything till Monday... It better be a program to receive a completely new unit.