FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 DeBloating

304 posts
Thanks Meter: 135

By Commodore 64, Senior Member on 15th April 2014, 11:59 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello to all the fans of less programs/apps forced on the user.

To begin I'm listing what I have disabled/turned off from the stock rom, and I'm getting a better battery life and see less junk.

ANT Radio
ANT+ Plugins
AT&T FamilyMap
AT&T Hot Spots
AT&T Locker
AT&T Messages
AT&T Mobile Locate
AT&T Navigator
Beats Music
BlurbCheckout
Business card recognition
Caller Name ID
ChatON
Device Help
DriveMode
Flipboard
Google Play Books
Google Play Games
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Google Play Newsstand
HP Print Service Plugin
Keeper
Mobile TV
MobilePrintSvc_CUPS
MobilePrintSvc_CUPS_Backend
My Magazine
myAT&T
Print Spooler
S Voice
Samsung Account
Samsung Apps
Samsung Galaxy
Samsung GALAXY Apps Widget
Samsung Link Platform
Samsung Print Service Plugin
Samsung Push Service
Travel wallpaper
Wallet (Isis)

Note: I'm not using any of the apps/services listed above, and I have not run into any problems. If you are going to use them then don't disable them.

Battery life has increased enough to be noticed, but not dramatically.

Next Project: Make an Odin flashable DeBloated stock ROM in both rooted and unrooted versions.

I got a full Stock ROM download from Samsung Kies to start Debloating and adding Root using Android Kitchen.
This file contains four files:

AP_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_ CERT.tar.md5
CP_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_ CERT.tar.md5
CSC_ATT_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_M ULTI_CERT.tar.md5
BL_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_ CERT.tar.md5

Accomplished:
System folder is located and the apps listed above deleted from "AP_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI _CERT.tar.md5"

Also ran this through the Kitchen and got it rooted, signed, zipaligned, ... (Choosing the lazy option for now) and got my output .Zip

Stuck on:
1- the Android kitchen .Zip file is flashable using a custom recovery mod. e.g. CWM or it's PhilZ version, which isn't currently available for this phone.
I don't have previous experience that these .Zip files can be flashed through Odin. So I assume it won't work.

2- Cannot put the System folder I Debloated back together to get accepted and read by Odin.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Commodore 64 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Commodore 64 Ad-Free

16th April 2014, 12:37 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 200

More
Can u share the odin file that has been rooted. Without thw debloating

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app
16th April 2014, 01:21 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkghost22

Can u share the odin file that has been rooted. Without thw debloating

I'm sharing my Android Kitchen's Cygwin window screenshot of the file information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rooting SM-G900A.jpg
Views:	2958
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	2688774  
16th April 2014, 01:26 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 200

More
Thx... i was askig so a dev or someone more knowledgable can take a look.

16th April 2014, 01:41 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
so what needs to happen now is the content inside that zip file need to get converted to "system.img.ext4" file, then I will put that file back into the tar ball "AP_G900AUCU1ANCE_.... .tar.md5" and load it up in the PDA section of Odin.

So that is where i'm stuck; in re-packing all those files back into "system.img.ext4" file. There is a delicate way to do this, also discussed in parts somewhere on the XDA forums. One has to know the final partition size to include it in the command used to pack those in to a "system.img.ext4" file.
16th April 2014, 02:06 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
That is awesome. I can't wait to see this finished. Seems you found a way to root it. Are you going to make it so that a "noob" like me can do it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
16th April 2014, 02:38 AM |#7  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Waite Park, MN.
Thanks Meter: 4,089

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore 64

so what needs to happen now is the content inside that zip file need to get converted to "system.img.ext4" file, then I will put that file back into the tar ball "AP_G900AUCU1ANCE_.... .tar.md5" and load it up in the PDA section of Odin.

So that is where i'm stuck; in re-packing all those files back into "system.img.ext4" file. There is a delicate way to do this, also discussed in parts somewhere on the XDA forums. One has to know the final partition size to include it in the command used to pack those in to a "system.img.ext4" file.

even if you get it back in the tar your not going to flash it in odin, the AT&T bootloader is locked odin will not flash a file once you have rebuilt it because it does not contain the samsung signatures. i have already got a fully built flashable ROM for the AT&T just waiting for root and BL unlock.

your on the right path, so dont get discouraged but it just isnt that simple.

P.S. Before you even ask, yes i have tried multiple iterations of building the system.img.ext4 file and signing it.
P.P.S if you really want the best experience from building a rom build a linux box (either linuxmint or ubuntu) the kitchen is a great tool
but running under cygwin in windows there are many limitations including not being able to create a system.img.ext4 file or generate the correct md5sum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cstayton For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cstayton Ad-Free
16th April 2014, 02:57 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Lightbulb
Thanks cstayton for giving me a glimpse of what i'm dealing with here. From your comments a I searched further and found

http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

Standing by for SM-G900A root release. I'm taking down my DropBox Dl link above since it is no use any more.
16th April 2014, 04:35 AM |#9  
No root = No dev on the ATT or VZW versions of the S5 this is because of the locked BL. Likely that there won't be a BL unlock or bypass like Loki. Eventually a root exploit will be found just a matter of time, but no one knows how long that will be. There likely down the road after root will be safestrap which will allow custom TW roms based on the stock TW kernel. What likely won't happen is AOSP.

CF-Root does not work and never will as long as the bootloader is locked due to how it obtains root (modified stock recovery to push root). /System cannot be modified to root the ATT/VZW S5, this has already been cofirmed by Chainfire. An exploit on Kit Kat has to be found. Sadly anyone who got the ATT S5 expecting great Dev support right out the gate picked the wrong variant.
16th April 2014, 01:11 PM |#10  
Flag Florida, USA
Thanks Meter: 247

Donate to Me
More
Has anyone tried safestrape?
16th April 2014, 02:14 PM |#11  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Waite Park, MN.
Thanks Meter: 4,089

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daraj

Has anyone tried safestrape?

I don't believe that the S5 is on his supported device list as of yet, and even then Safestrap requires root.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)