Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Waite Park, MN.
Thanks Meter: 4,089

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daraj

Has anyone tried safestrape?

I don't believe that the S5 is on his supported device list as of yet, and even then Safestrap requires root.

16th April 2014, 02:17 PM |#12  
Flag Florida, USA
Thanks Meter: 247

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstayton

I don't believe that the S5 is on his supported device list as of yet, and even then Safestrap requires root.

Duh Thats true. So first step is ROOT!
16th April 2014, 05:39 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
A friend of mine mentioned that the note 3 has a locked BL and Knox but is still able to be rooted. I am wondering if the root for the note 3 would work on the s5. Has it been considered or tried? I would try it but I do not have the knowledge necessary to undo it if something goes wrong. It seems like something that could really mess up the device if you don't know what your doing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
17th April 2014, 05:01 AM |#14  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 302

More
Don't try it @TheSheibs. Just wait for root to be announced. It'll be a big deal if and when it does.
17th April 2014, 04:47 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
@TheSheibs Try it! if it works youll be the man!
Just be aware of the issues.
17th April 2014, 05:18 PM |#16  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 135

More
I have the rom cooked and ready and it was ready to go in odin 3.07. Well the thing is if I'm willing to part with the one year warranty since it will advance the knox counter and at the end of the day that shouldn't matter anyways because even if a root solution/exploit is released, flashing it by odin will still advance the counter ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app
17th April 2014, 05:33 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 61

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore 64

I have the rom cooked and ready and it was ready to go in odin 3.07. Well the thing is if I'm willing to part with the one year warranty since it will advance the knox counter and at the end of the day that shouldn't matter anyways because even if a root solution/exploit is released, flashing it by odin will still advance the counter ...

Once root is achieved (hopefully soon-ish) will we see prior AT&T devs flocking to the device for things such as SafeStrap and TriangleAway. I assume once we have root we will have a way to trip the knox shortly after. Root is key.
17th April 2014, 10:51 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 1,196

More
My s5 is coming in a matter of hours! I'm looking forward to root but I don't mind staying stock for a while as long as I can disable apps! The part I'll have to get used to is no more "Greenify" app but oh well

Sent from my Nexus 5
18th April 2014, 01:39 AM |#19  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 135

More
So what at&t and verizon did was not only lock the phone's bootloaders but encrypt them. The encryption part is problematic for now.
If we can't flash with odin then we can't load custom recoveries like cwm/twrp then this phones becomes less attractive for developers. I have made a rooted version of stock ready with android kitchen but currently I don't have a way to load it on my device to test it.

I tried and Odin crashed, knox counter did not advance.

18th April 2014, 03:07 AM |#20  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Waite Park, MN.
Thanks Meter: 4,089

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore 64

So what at&t and verizon did was not only lock the phone's bootloaders but encrypt them. The encryption part is problematic for now.
If we can't flash with odin then we can't load custom recoveries like cwm/twrp then this phones becomes less attractive for developers. I have made a rooted version of stock ready with android kitchen but currently I don't have a way to load it on my device to test it.

I tried and Odin crashed, knox counter did not advance.

Well your right, Odin will not flash any custom rom with locked bootloader, once you touch the stock img.ext4 you break the samsung signatures, nothing you can do will flash that file.

If it was as simple as re-creating the system.img.ext4 and flashing with Odin we wouldn't have to worry about locked BL.
18th April 2014, 03:34 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 80

More
I've been idling in #sgs5 on freenode hoping to hear good news, but so far nothing.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)