AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 DeBloating

304 posts
Thanks Meter: 135

By Commodore 64, Senior Member on 15th April 2014, 11:59 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
18th April 2014, 03:34 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 80

More
I've been idling in #sgs5 on freenode hoping to hear good news, but so far nothing.

22nd April 2014, 07:19 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Threw this out there earlier on a diff thread...bear with me:

Im wondering if one can use Ubuntu to peer inside the S5 on-board memory and system files over USB? Mount it as a drive, do the permissions, and then mod individual apps, files, etc...??

In other words...break into root, by using a good Root on a diff device by mounting the phone rather than booting it?

People say once RAID 5 or other hard-drives or NAS devices go bad are impossible to recover...yes and No...I can pull files by mounting those drives using Ubuntu and then pull that way...yes the drive itself is shot, but I can still get those files...and Im sure there is a way to see the /system files on these phones by different means than booting them directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstayton

Well your right, Odin will not flash any custom rom with locked bootloader, once you touch the stock img.ext4 you break the samsung signatures, nothing you can do will flash that file.

If it was as simple as re-creating the system.img.ext4 and flashing with Odin we wouldn't have to worry about locked BL.

22nd April 2014, 04:47 PM |#23  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 135

More
Intersting view. I used to peak inside corrupted hdds with various permissions using Knoppix linux in the old days and that thing just ignores the current permissions and let you do your own combination of -rwx ... let's see if I can get this puppy mounted on Knoppix when I get back from work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Commodore 64 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Commodore 64 Ad-Free
22nd April 2014, 07:35 PM |#24  
Flag south fl
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-dave

Threw this out there earlier on a diff thread...bear with me:

Im wondering if one can use Ubuntu to peer inside the S5 on-board memory and system files over USB? Mount it as a drive, do the permissions, and then mod individual apps, files, etc...??

In other words...break into root, by using a good Root on a diff device by mounting the phone rather than booting it?

People say once RAID 5 or other hard-drives or NAS devices go bad are impossible to recover...yes and No...I can pull files by mounting those drives using Ubuntu and then pull that way...yes the drive itself is shot, but I can still get those files...and Im sure there is a way to see the /system files on these phones by different means than booting them directly.

that would definitely be interesting for a workaround if it can be done on the phone.
22nd April 2014, 07:51 PM |#25  

More
Exactly what I was thinking. The trick would be powering on the phone, or at least getting power to its Flash/ROM without actually booting the phone itself. Once the phone is booted I dont know that its file system could be remotely mounted.

I will be porting over my number to the ATT S5 today or tomorrow...and then may be able to play with the S3 in the same manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore 64

Intersting view. I used to peak inside corrupted hdds with various permissions using Knoppix linux in the old days and that thing just ignores the current permissions and let you do your own combination of -rwx ... let's see if I can get this puppy mounted on Knoppix when I get back from work

22nd April 2014, 09:07 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore 64

Hello to all the fans of less programs/apps forced on the user.

To begin I'm listing what I have disabled/turned off from the stock rom, and I'm getting a better battery life and see less junk.

ANT Radio
ANT+ Plugins
AT&T FamilyMap
AT&T Hot Spots
AT&T Locker
AT&T Messages
AT&T Mobile Locate
AT&T Navigator
Beats Music
BlurbCheckout
Business card recognition
Caller Name ID
ChatON
Device Help
DriveMode
Flipboard
Google Play Books
Google Play Games
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Google Play Newsstand
HP Print Service Plugin
Keeper
Mobile TV
MobilePrintSvc_CUPS
MobilePrintSvc_CUPS_Backend
My Magazine
myAT&T
Print Spooler
S Voice
Samsung Account
Samsung Apps
Samsung Galaxy
Samsung GALAXY Apps Widget
Samsung Link Platform
Samsung Print Service Plugin
Samsung Push Service
Travel wallpaper
Wallet (Isis)

Note: I'm not using any of the apps/services listed above, and I have not run into any problems. If you are going to use them then don't disable them.

Battery life has increased enough to be noticed, but not dramatically.

Next Project: Make an Odin flashable DeBloated stock ROM in both rooted and unrooted versions.

I got a full Stock ROM download from Samsung Kies to start Debloating and adding Root using Android Kitchen.
This file contains four files:

AP_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_ CERT.tar.md5
CP_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_ CERT.tar.md5
CSC_ATT_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_M ULTI_CERT.tar.md5
BL_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_ CERT.tar.md5

Accomplished:
System folder is located and the apps listed above deleted from "AP_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI _CERT.tar.md5"

Also ran this through the Kitchen and got it rooted, signed, zipaligned, ... (Choosing the lazy option for now) and got my output .Zip

Stuck on:
1- the Android kitchen .Zip file is flashable using a custom recovery mod. e.g. CWM or it's PhilZ version, which isn't currently available for this phone.
I don't have previous experience that these .Zip files can be flashed through Odin. So I assume it won't work.

2- Cannot put the System folder I Debloated back together to get accepted and read by Odin.

I'll add to your list of crap that I have stopped as well so far, no ill effects. I guess the very worst case scenario is we dont get root for a while but have a "safe" list for people to refer to. All of yours plus the following:

*google plus (I dont use it)
*google hang outs (I thought it would be an ok messaging app when they added that, but not for me)
*memo
*nnl fingerprint passport (does not work half the time anyway)
*s-health (i can take my own pulse and I dont care how many steps I take) too gimmicky
*sapa monitor
*smart remote
*tags (nfc)
*talkback

Like you said....If you use any of that then keep it active. I dont, so I wont
25th April 2014, 07:16 PM |#27  

More
I stopped a whole bunch more last night...everything on the phone still working, and great battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey37821

I'll add to your list of crap that I have stopped as well so far, no ill effects. I guess the very worst case scenario is we dont get root for a while but have a "safe" list for people to refer to. All of yours plus the following:

*google plus (I dont use it)
*google hang outs (I thought it would be an ok messaging app when they added that, but not for me)
*memo
*nnl fingerprint passport (does not work half the time anyway)
*s-health (i can take my own pulse and I dont care how many steps I take) too gimmicky
*sapa monitor
*smart remote
*tags (nfc)
*talkback

Like you said....If you use any of that then keep it active. I dont, so I wont

26th April 2014, 04:06 PM |#28  
Flag CT
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-dave

I stopped a whole bunch more last night...everything on the phone still working, and great battery life.

List of apps?

atrix-burst-gs2-note-note2-gs5
28th April 2014, 05:24 PM |#29  

More
this is what I have Turned off without any issues:

Adapt Sound
ANY Radio
ANT+ plugins
AT&T Family Map
AT&T Hotspots
AT&T Locker
AT&T Message
Basic Daydreams
Beats Music
BlurbCheckout
Bubbles
Caller Name ID (Imagine, I still see who is calling...HAHA)
ChatOn
Com.Samsung.android.sdk.spenv10
Com.Samsung.android.mimage/photo
Device Help
DirectConnectManager
Drive
DriveMode
Emergency Provider
Flipboard
Google Calander Sync
Google Partner Setup
Google Play Books
Google Play Movies
Google Play Music
Google Play Newsstand
Google+
Group Play (sounds kinda kinky)
Hangouts
Keeper (lock with @ in it - what is this?)
Market Feedback Agent
Mobile TV
MobilePrintSvc_CUPS
MobilePrintSvc_CUPS_Backend
My Magazine (AFTER removed from desktop manager)
NNL Fingerprint Passport
One Time Init
Phase Beam
Photo Screensavers
Picasa Uploader
S Health (Was too gimicky and adds - great idea, poor implementation)
S Voice
Swype (I dont like the predictive nor swiping keyboard)
Talkback
Travel Wallpaper
Wallet

A few others I may turn off:
AT&T Mobile Locate
AT&T Navigator
BusinessCard Recognition
DirectShareManager

And there were a Dozen or more apps I'd like to turn off, bit dont allow me to, such as
Geo News
FWUpgrade - etc etc...bloatware

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifreek

List of apps?

The Following User Says Thank You to az-dave For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift az-dave Ad-Free
28th April 2014, 06:19 PM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skifreek

List of apps?

Keeper is a password manager

28th April 2014, 09:08 PM |#31  

More
thx - I may or may not re-enable...gunna see if I have any issues. None so far.

In mean time, since there is no Root for AT&T, Ive paid to install Nova Launcher and widget Lock.

Im not all that keen on running piggyback skins, but its fast and I like many of the apps and How I can arracnge them better than the AT&T kitkat 4.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxo

Keeper is a password manager

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)