Partition phone to use /data/media scheme

Search This thread

jmhalder

Mar 26, 2008
illinois
So, I gave my sister a hand me down i777, it has CM10.2 installed on it... She constantly gets notified that 'Storage is low", this is referring to /data probably... On newer phones, ones that normally shipped with ICS and newer, they don't use two partitions for /data and /sdcard, because you might have tons of space available on one but not the other, and you won't be able to utilize it, rather, they ONLY have a /data partition, and user content instead goes in /data/media. This way, app installs go on the same technical patition as photos or videos... Anywho, this current setup is a real limitation on how many apps she can install, I suppose there's some apps2sd crap I could do, but she doesn't actually have an external SD, and there's TONS of space on the built in '/sdcard"

TL;DR: Can I switch the i777 to a '/data/media' partition layout instead of the old '/data, /sdcard/ layout?

jmhalder

Mar 26, 2008
illinois
Well, it LOOKS like I might be able to resize /data and /sdcard with a modified .pit file, which may be good enough for now, but I guess it begs the question why there isn't an official CM setup that includes a modified .pit that eliminated the /sdcard partition?