[DEV] HTC One X firmware | Partitions Info | [20.04.2012]

Search This thread

mike1986.

This thread's content might brick your device.
This is not a ROM thread, so I'm not going to answer again and again and again the same questions over and over and over again.
You can't read - quit this thread now. You can read but you can't understand more or less simple things - quit as well.
You can read and you understand things, but you are too lazy to read the whole thread before asking the question - watch this first. And quit.

This is what we know so far:

index1.php

Some conclusions:

1. It's very nice to see that finally someone separated "internal sd card" from userdata partition. So it's no longer linked to /data/media, as it used to be on Asus Transformer, Transformer Prime, Galaxy Nexus etc. but it's a separate partition now - mmcblk0p14. Basically the biggest benefit from that is that now formatting userdata partition will no longer erase virtual sd card content.
2. It seems that NFC and WLAN deep settings are stored on separate partitions: mmcblk0p1 (wlan) and ? (NFC).
3. There is a 5th PHYSICAL core, but it's invisible to the system. Android only sees the 4 main cores. The 5th companion core is not controlled by Android. Tegra 3 architecture itself handles the load balancing between the main cores and the companion core. (Thanks to Diamondback)
4. There is no radio.img in current RUUs.

Download firmware for HTC One X (PJ4610000)

Firmware from 1.28.401.9 RUU
--- MD5 checksum: 83375DF988C86E92417AA8949012A1C2 *PJ46IMG.zip ---

Supported devices:
--- CID's added by users requests are marked with green color ---
cidnum: HTC__001
cidnum: HTC__E11
cidnum: HTC__203
cidnum: HTC__Y13
cidnum: HTC__102
cidnum: HTC__405
cidnum: HTC__304
cidnum: HTC__032
cidnum: HTC__J15
cidnum: HTC__A07
cidnum: HTC__016
cidnum: HTC__M27

Why it's better then full RUU:

1. It doesn't contain stock recovery
2. It doesn't contain stock, non rooted system
3. It doesn't contain secured boot.img
4. It wont wipe your data partition
5. It's much smaller :D

PJ46IMG.zip content: [UPDATE: 25.03.2012]

android-info.txt - updated [20.04.2012]
bct.img - updated [25.03.2012]
rcdata.img - updated [20.04.2012]

How to flash:

1. Check your CID using fastboot getvar cid and MID using fastboot getvar mid
2a. If your CID and MID are supported by default, navigate to point 3.
2b. If your CID or MID is not supported by default, do this: (you do it at your own risk)
2c. Open PJ46IMG.zip (don't extract it)
2d. Open android-info.txt in text editor
2e. Add your cidnum: <your CID> or modelid: <your MID> to the list, save file and close archive
3. Place PJ46IMG.zip on your SD card
4. Boot your device holding power button + vol down button
5. Follow instructions on the screen

Additional information:

1. Flash above firmware at your own risk!
2. It's recommended to flash it before flashing custom ROM based on proper RUU!
3. Unlocking via htcdev.com will change your CID number into "none".

4. RUU variants:
x.xx.61.x - Orange UK (United Kingdom)
x.xx.75.x - Orange ES (Spain)
x.xx.110.x - T-Mobile UK (United Kingdom)
x.xx.111.x - T-Mobile DE (Germany)
x.xx.112.x - T-Mobile AT (Austria)
x.xx.114.x - T-Mobile NL (Netherlands)
x.xx.118.x - T-Mobile PL (Poland)
x.xx.161.x - Vodafone UK (United Kingdom)
x.xx.166.x - Vodafone CH-DE (Switzerland - Germany)
x.xx.163.x - Vodafone FR (France)
x.xx.169.x - Vodafone AT (Austria)
x.xx.206.x - O2 UK (United Kingdom)
x.xx.207.x - O2 DE (Germany)
x.xx.401.x - World Wide English
x.xx.707.x - Asia WWE (World Wide English)
x.xx.720.x - Asia India
x.xx.771.x - Hutchison 3G UK (United Kingdom)
x.xx.862.x - Voda-Hutch AU (Australia)
x.xx.980.x - Optus AU (Australia)
x.xx.1400.x - HTC China

Please post here your findings, thoughts or experience with after flashing images listed above.

Last edited:

mike1986.

Here are some details about CPU kernel settings:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies

51000 | 102000 | 204000 | 340000 | 475000 | 640000 | 760000 | 880000 | 1000000 | 1100000 | 1200000 | 1400000 | 1500000

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors

interactive conservative ondemand powersave userspace performance

Some details about how Tegra 3 works on HTC One X:

1. While screen is turned OFF only cpu0 is online. cpu1, cpu2 and cpu3 are all offline.
2. I think that cpu2 and cpu3 are online only on heavy load. That needs to be confirmed.
3. While screen is turned OFF only interactive governor is available.
4. When battery is < 20%, CPU downclocks to 1.0 GHz.

Fastboot commands that doesn't work without S-OFF:

• fastboot flash rcdata rcdata.img
  • fastboot oem writesecureflag
  • fastboot oem writecid

Last edited:
S

shaky156

Arent there 4 main cores and 1 companion core, so only companion core should be running when screen off?

mike1986.

Arent there 4 main cores and 1 companion core, so only companion core should be running when screen off?

I don't see any companion core for now:

ls /sys/devices/system/cpu
cpu0
cpu1
cpu2
cpu3
cpu_on (output on ls = 2)
cpu_on_mdelay (output on ls = 0)
cpufreq
cpuidle
kernel_max
offline (output on ls = 1-3)
online (output on ls = 0-3)
possible (output on ls = 0-3)
present (output on ls = 0-3)

S

shaky156

I don't see any companion core for now:

ls /sys/devices/system/cpu
cpu0
cpu1
cpu2
cpu3
cpu_on (output on ls = 2)
cpu_on_mdelay (output on ls = 0)
cpufreq
cpuidle
kernel_max
offline (output on ls = 1-3)
online (output on ls = 0-3)
possible (output on ls = 0-3)
present (output on ls = 0-3)

Thats weird :s
Cpu0 to cpu3 = main cpu cores
Any sign of a cpu1p? (Cpu1p = companion core)

Diamondback

Retired Dev Committee Lead / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 17, 2010
virtuous-ten-studio.com
Yup just found out that companion core is cpu0 (explains why cpu0 is on all the time)
There is only 4 physical cores
Wow thought they had 5 physical cores, guess not lol

EDIT: ill double check to confirm

EDIT: yup thats what it looks like
The saving power core is cpu0, it enters LP2 state when saving power

No that is wrong. There is a fith PHYSICAL core but it's invisble to the system. Android only sees the four main cores.
The fith companion core is NOT, i repeat NOT, controlled by android. The tegra architecture itself handels to load balacing between the main cores and the companion core.
YOu won't find any traces of this companion core in the system.

S

shaky156

No that is wrong. There is a fith PHYSICAL core but it's invisble to the system. Android only sees the four main cores.
The fith companion core is NOT, i repeat NOT, controlled by android. The tegra architecture itself handels to load balacing between the main cores and the companion core.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was thinking its hidden but then looking @ kernel code, when idle cpu0 enters LP2 state :s + cpu0 is online all the time

Last edited:

Diamondback

Jan 17, 2010
virtuous-ten-studio.com
Thanks for clearing that up, I was thinking its hidden but then looking @ kernel code, when idle cpu enter LP2 state :s

Some time ago there was an official article from Nvidia about this topic, stating all those things, maybe I'll search for that :D

Having only that one core online probably means that in the end most of the time only the companion core does the work, but we don't really know.

Tegra handels that stuff on its own (and it does a great job btw on my Prime. Standby times are incredible.)

S

shaky156

Some time ago there was an official article from Nvidia about this topic, stating all those things, maybe I'll search for that :D

Having only that one core online probably means that in the end most of the time only the companion core does the work, but we don't really know.

Tegra handels that stuff on its own (and it does a great job btw on my Prime. Standby times are incredible.)

So there definitely is a fifth core?

jonas2295

Jan 4, 2010
Bavaria
I am not an expert on that but this nvidia video shows the CPU core stress and it's running android of course. And thus app (if it's one) can see the companion core?!
So it needs to be seen by android os right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1qKdBX4-jc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Maybe this video will help you a little bit if you didn't know it (what I don't think)...

Sent from my HTC HD2 using xda premium

Reactions: djolebih
S

shaky156

Unless Nvidia is lying to us in their official press releases, yes. There are 5 cores in a tegra 3.
4 high power cores and one low power core.

Thanks, it was just a quick scan through kernel, ill have a more indepth look at it tommorow, its very interesting.

@youtube video: notice how the companion core turns off before main core go online?, why cant the companion core be turned on with main cpu cores? (Maybe it can be tested when device released).
Im very interested in this, well i could be very wrong, there may well be a fifth physical core, but dunno got a weird feeling about this

EDIT: I dont think it matters of its 4 or 5 cores though, cause its still powerfull!, but it makes more sense/ save money if its done with 4 cores

Last edited:

jonas2295

Jan 4, 2010
Bavaria
Thanks, it was just a quick scan through kernel, ill have a more indepth look at it tommorow, its very interesting.

@youtube video: notice how the companion core turns off before main core go online?, why cant the companion core be turned on with main cpu cores? (Maybe it can be tested when device released).
Im very interested in this, well i could be very wrong, there may well be a fifth physical core, but dunno got a weird feeling about this

Yes I was thinking exactly the same thing about that.
If it would run on its highest level + the main cores there shouldn't be a huge higher battery drain since it stays under the 500mhz but gives more power to the app/video/game etc... Who knows what nvidia wanted to prevent with this, we will see and possibly be able to change that which would make sense (at least to me).

Sent from my HTC HD2 using xda premium

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
shaky you can see clearly five cores in the photo of the chipset, unless Nvidia is lying to the whole planet and the fifth core is just a disabled extra core to insure better yields lol

ofcourse the tradermarked 4-plus-1 term and the possibility of a massive lawsuit makes this highly unlikely

lookout the tegra3 slides and anandtech article, it says the load balancing is hardware locked and invisible to the system, although I don't really get it since they can still use the fifth core along the main four for Directtouch

S

shaky156

shaky you can see clearly five cores in the photo of the chipset, unless Nvidia is lying to the whole planet and the fifth core is just a disabled extra core to insure better yields lol

ofcourse the tradermarked 4-plus-1 term and the possibility of a massive lawsuit makes this highly unlikely

lookout the tegra3 slides and anandtech article, it says the load balancing is hardware locked and invisible to the system, although I don't really get it since they can still use the fifth core along the main four for Directtouch

Agree, just weird why they would keep cpu0 online
EDIT: has anyone tested with current tegra 3 devices? E.g. transformer prime?
EDIT: tweeted htcdev, waiting for reply lol

EDIT: ill have a look @ kernel today, i can confirm that cpu0 is always online, and only 3cpus go offline and cpu 0 enter what nvidea call a LP2 state

Sent from my Desire HD

Last edited:

Diamondback

Jan 17, 2010
virtuous-ten-studio.com
Reactions: Ch3vy78

HTC-Gunge

Feb 24, 2011
York
Sorry I'm not a developer so hopefully this doesn't sound too stupid... but this is how I would think it could be...CPU0 in the Kernel is just an address to the physical core and what is happening on the hardware level is that the address is being switched between the physical first core and the physical fifth core.

Possible?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread's content might brick your device.
    This is not a ROM thread, so I'm not going to answer again and again and again the same questions over and over and over again.
    You can't read - quit this thread now. You can read but you can't understand more or less simple things - quit as well.
    You can read and you understand things, but you are too lazy to read the whole thread before asking the question - watch this first. And quit.

This is what we know so far:

index1.php

Some conclusions:

1. It's very nice to see that finally someone separated "internal sd card" from userdata partition. So it's no longer linked to /data/media, as it used to be on Asus Transformer, Transformer Prime, Galaxy Nexus etc. but it's a separate partition now - mmcblk0p14. Basically the biggest benefit from that is that now formatting userdata partition will no longer erase virtual sd card content.
    2. It seems that NFC and WLAN deep settings are stored on separate partitions: mmcblk0p1 (wlan) and ? (NFC).
    3. There is a 5th PHYSICAL core, but it's invisible to the system. Android only sees the 4 main cores. The 5th companion core is not controlled by Android. Tegra 3 architecture itself handles the load balancing between the main cores and the companion core. (Thanks to Diamondback)
    4. There is no radio.img in current RUUs.

Download firmware for HTC One X (PJ4610000)

Firmware from 1.28.401.9 RUU
    --- MD5 checksum: 83375DF988C86E92417AA8949012A1C2 *PJ46IMG.zip ---

Supported devices:
    --- CID's added by users requests are marked with green color ---
    cidnum: HTC__001
    cidnum: HTC__E11
    cidnum: HTC__203
    cidnum: HTC__Y13
    cidnum: HTC__102
    cidnum: HTC__405
    cidnum: HTC__304
    cidnum: HTC__032
    cidnum: HTC__J15
    cidnum: HTC__A07
    cidnum: HTC__016
    cidnum: HTC__M27

Why it's better then full RUU:

1. It doesn't contain stock recovery
    2. It doesn't contain stock, non rooted system
    3. It doesn't contain secured boot.img
    4. It wont wipe your data partition
    5. It's much smaller :D

PJ46IMG.zip content: [UPDATE: 25.03.2012]

android-info.txt - updated [20.04.2012]
    bct.img - updated [25.03.2012]
    rcdata.img - updated [20.04.2012]

How to flash:

1. Check your CID using fastboot getvar cid and MID using fastboot getvar mid
    2a. If your CID and MID are supported by default, navigate to point 3.
    2b. If your CID or MID is not supported by default, do this: (you do it at your own risk)
    2c. Open PJ46IMG.zip (don't extract it)
    2d. Open android-info.txt in text editor
    2e. Add your cidnum: <your CID> or modelid: <your MID> to the list, save file and close archive
    3. Place PJ46IMG.zip on your SD card
    4. Boot your device holding power button + vol down button
    5. Follow instructions on the screen

Additional information:

1. Flash above firmware at your own risk!
    2. It's recommended to flash it before flashing custom ROM based on proper RUU!
    3. Unlocking via htcdev.com will change your CID number into "none".

4. RUU variants:
    x.xx.61.x - Orange UK (United Kingdom)
    x.xx.75.x - Orange ES (Spain)
    x.xx.110.x - T-Mobile UK (United Kingdom)
    x.xx.111.x - T-Mobile DE (Germany)
    x.xx.112.x - T-Mobile AT (Austria)
    x.xx.114.x - T-Mobile NL (Netherlands)
    x.xx.118.x - T-Mobile PL (Poland)
    x.xx.161.x - Vodafone UK (United Kingdom)
    x.xx.166.x - Vodafone CH-DE (Switzerland - Germany)
    x.xx.163.x - Vodafone FR (France)
    x.xx.169.x - Vodafone AT (Austria)
    x.xx.206.x - O2 UK (United Kingdom)
    x.xx.207.x - O2 DE (Germany)
    x.xx.401.x - World Wide English
    x.xx.707.x - Asia WWE (World Wide English)
    x.xx.720.x - Asia India
    x.xx.771.x - Hutchison 3G UK (United Kingdom)
    x.xx.862.x - Voda-Hutch AU (Australia)
    x.xx.980.x - Optus AU (Australia)
    x.xx.1400.x - HTC China

Please post here your findings, thoughts or experience with after flashing images listed above.
    Here are some details about CPU kernel settings:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies

51000 | 102000 | 204000 | 340000 | 475000 | 640000 | 760000 | 880000 | 1000000 | 1100000 | 1200000 | 1400000 | 1500000

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors

interactive conservative ondemand powersave userspace performance

Some details about how Tegra 3 works on HTC One X:

1. While screen is turned OFF only cpu0 is online. cpu1, cpu2 and cpu3 are all offline.
    2. I think that cpu2 and cpu3 are online only on heavy load. That needs to be confirmed.
    3. While screen is turned OFF only interactive governor is available.
    4. When battery is < 20%, CPU downclocks to 1.0 GHz.

Fastboot commands that doesn't work without S-OFF:

• fastboot flash rcdata rcdata.img
    • fastboot oem writesecureflag
    • fastboot oem writecid
    Yup just found out that companion core is cpu0 (explains why cpu0 is on all the time)
    There is only 4 physical cores
    Wow thought they had 5 physical cores, guess not lol

EDIT: ill double check to confirm

EDIT: yup thats what it looks like
    The saving power core is cpu0, it enters LP2 state when saving power

Awesome news, what are your plans?

Kernel and ROM?

Kernel, recovery, etc... Though I was disapppointed to see that 2.6.3x kernel was used by HTC...

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA
    i have s-off.
    phone installed right RUU. but does not start

would you have really s-off then you wouldn't have orang cid ....pls post a photo of you "s-offed" phone