Black Theme for TW Email app (SecEmail_J.apk)

Search This thread

nijel8

Dec 24, 2011
All over US
Google Pixel 5a
I like Samsung Email app but I hate the all whites in it so I managed to track them down almost 100% for the screens I could access.
As you may know app already has built-in black theme that is suppose to activate by simple change in csc features.xml but it is disabled by Samsung. There is a hard coded boolean "IsBlackTheme=false" in smali so I changed it to "true" and activated the black theme... But no wonder why they left it "false" - the theme was I say 50/50 complete and the composer didn't work at all so app was useless. Few days code reading and figured it out... the spen layout was crashing the composer. Fixed it, completed the rest of the theme and here it is.
It 's a vrtheme (thanks goes to those guys), flash it in recovery. Make sure no other themes alters SecEmail.apk after that... or simply reflash it.
And some screenshots... Enjoy...

EDIT: OK... sorry guys, it's back...
I was trying to avoid wiping the entire dalvik, but the patching happens so fast that there was no time to delete the dex. So now it just wipes dalvik completely and it works.
That's what you get when rushing things... Please, redownload...
EDIT2: New upload... Please download again... foreverloco fixed the 9.png images for me... Thanks man!:good:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,916
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 1,757
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,562
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,526
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 1,473
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,445
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 1,312
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,311
  • Black_Theme_for_SecEmail_J_updated.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 754
Last edited:

Texus915

Jul 25, 2012
Thanks white screens make me sick.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 AM ----------

Umm my email no longer opens

Reactions: djbrian52

nijel8

Dec 24, 2011
All over US
Google Pixel 5a
Thanks, guys.

BTW theme updated for more color consistency(removed some light elements; some text, yellow folders and stars to JB blue). Also now only the email dalvik is wiped so boot after apply is much faster.
Enjoy...

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 548
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 533

nijel8

Dec 24, 2011
All over US
Google Pixel 5a
This is awesome I wish I could do this with all my white background apps

Thanks. I wish too...

OK... Did some more work on the theme, added transparency and refined some more colors and images. Full Black+Transparency theme is attached below. Leaving the Black only theme in OP for those who don't like transparency.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-31-20-44-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-31-20-44-41.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 495
  • Screenshot_2014-01-31-20-46-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-31-20-46-37.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 476
  • Email_BlackTransparency.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 158

bigmase23

May 5, 2011
Anyway to get this to work on the Sprint variant. . Looks great!

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bigmase23

May 5, 2011
Didn't work.. I tried flashing with original? Flashing after deleting original.. nada. . I would love this.. anyone help? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Is there a way to just change permission and push instead of flashing? Then I can just. Make backups of everything and push the app... I do this instead of flashing other things but has anyone tried with this mod?

MB865/ST-ATT/4.4.2 BMM
SM-N900W8/ST/Rooted knox 0x0 4.4.2
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9/ATT/Rooted

nijel8

Dec 24, 2011
All over US
Google Pixel 5a
Is there a way to just change permission and push instead of flashing? Then I can just. Make backups of everything and push the app... I do this instead of flashing other things but has anyone tried with this mod?

MB865/ST-ATT/4.4.2 BMM

Pull your email app from /system/app, open it and open the theme_zip both with 7zip side by side, drag-n-drop all files from theme_zip\vrtheme\system\app\SecEmail_J.apk\ to your eamil app(Yes to popup), close 7Zip. Now your app is themed, push it back to /system/app and change permissions to 644. Done.
That's what flashing do exactly, same thing and you have your original email app backed up on sdcard.

Reactions: amynjimmy
Pull your email app from /system/app, open it and open the theme_zip both with 7zip side by side, drag-n-drop all files from theme_zip\vrtheme\system\app\SecEmail_J.apk\ to your eamil app(Yes to popup), close 7Zip. Now your app is themed, push it back to /system/app and change permissions to 644. Done.
That's what flashing do exactly, same thing and you have your original email app backed up on sdcard.

Im on stock rooted 442, and when explore the zip, I see the apk is not a apk but a dir and files.... Is there a away to combine them back into a apk again? I know I should know what it is called but. I'm having a noob moment.

MB865/ST-ATT/4.4.2 BMM

nijel8

Dec 24, 2011
All over US
Google Pixel 5a
Im on stock rooted 442, and when explore the zip, I see the apk is not a apk but a dir and files.... Is there a away to combine them back into a apk again? I know I should know what it is called but. I'm having a noob moment.

MB865/ST-ATT/4.4.2 BMM

Glad you asked... don't do it... theme is for 4.3 ROM, it most likely wont work with your 4.4.2 email app and you will have to redo all settings/accounts.
But if you wanna try it anyway make backup of your original email app and do what I said in my previews response to you. Drag and drop everything in that directory to your apk with 7zip and all modded files will be replaced and you will have your apk themed. Then push it back and delete /data/dalvik-cache/system@app@SecEmail_J.apk@classes.dex, restart phone. If done in recovery you might get away with loosing settings/accounts etc.

Reactions: amynjimmy
Glad you asked... don't do it... theme is for 4.3 ROM, it most likely wont work with your 4.4.2 email app and you will have to redo all settings/accounts.
But if you wanna try it anyway make backup of your original email app and do what I said in my previews response to you. Drag and drop everything in that directory to your apk with 7zip and all modded files will be replaced and you will have your apk themed. Then push it back and delete /data/dalvik-cache/system@app@SecEmail_J.apk@classes.dex, restart phone. If done in recovery you might get away with loosing settings/accounts etc.

Just FYI did not work for me. I drag dropped molded and rebooted cleared cache and all that and all it did was make app unavailable.

MB865/ST-ATT/4.4.2 BMM
SM-N900W8/ST/Rooted knox 0x0

xsisbest

Feb 8, 2011
Man when I saw this thread and the screenshots I got all kinds of excited!!! I've been looking for this everywhere. Not sure why the stock email app is probably the least inverted app on the phone but the one I use the most. I as well though am on sprint and now NC5 firmware so not counting on this working but what a work of art! Would love to have this option on the sprint note 3. Very nice work though!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I like Samsung Email app but I hate the all whites in it so I managed to track them down almost 100% for the screens I could access.
    As you may know app already has built-in black theme that is suppose to activate by simple change in csc features.xml but it is disabled by Samsung. There is a hard coded boolean "IsBlackTheme=false" in smali so I changed it to "true" and activated the black theme... But no wonder why they left it "false" - the theme was I say 50/50 complete and the composer didn't work at all so app was useless. Few days code reading and figured it out... the spen layout was crashing the composer. Fixed it, completed the rest of the theme and here it is.
    It 's a vrtheme (thanks goes to those guys), flash it in recovery. Make sure no other themes alters SecEmail.apk after that... or simply reflash it.
    And some screenshots... Enjoy...

EDIT: OK... sorry guys, it's back...
    I was trying to avoid wiping the entire dalvik, but the patching happens so fast that there was no time to delete the dex. So now it just wipes dalvik completely and it works.
    That's what you get when rushing things... Please, redownload...
    EDIT2: New upload... Please download again... foreverloco fixed the 9.png images for me... Thanks man!:good:
    This is awesome I wish I could do this with all my white background apps

Thanks. I wish too...

OK... Did some more work on the theme, added transparency and refined some more colors and images. Full Black+Transparency theme is attached below. Leaving the Black only theme in OP for those who don't like transparency.
    Enjoy!
    Yeah it definitely didn't work on Kit Kat. Please please please update :D

Totes ma goats sent from ma notes.

---------- Post added at 05:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 AM ----------

Umm my email no longer opens

MB865/ST-ATT/4.4.2 BMM