[Q] Arc: An open source nightmare

Search This thread

migueln

Sep 5, 2010
Hi. Had an HTC Tattoo untill a month ago, when I decided it was time to upgrade my hardware, especially considering ICS was on its way and I had had enough with my pre-historic, resistive 2.8 inch screen, 256MB 528MHz freak android phone.
So I decided to buy an ARC S (LT18i), only to later find out the latest oficial firmware was still 2.3.4 (if I'm not mistaken) when I was already on 2.3.7 CM on the tattoo.
So I decided to ditch the official firmware and seek a custom ROM more up to date. That's when the nightmare begun. On the tattoo I only had to flash the latest CM release. On the ARC S there are several different BB, Kernels and ROMs. From what I've read (and I've read a lot!) some are better on LT15i, others are better on LT15a, others on LT18i and some on LT18a. Talk about android fragmentation. On this device there's fragmentation of the hardware itself.
So my question is: Which BB, Kernel and ROM combination is best for my LT18i, with the best stability, the latest 2.3 available, no battery drain issues and everything working (wifi, GPS, 3G, etc.)? The bootloader is unlocked and I have root.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Wouldn't it be easier for everyone if there was a sticky with a poll regarding this question for every ARC/ARC S model?

Last edited:

DemonicHawk

Jul 16, 2010
It is a little messy in the development section, and it doesn't help that there's no section for the other Sony Ericsson phones (so they all got thrown into here), but there's really not that many choices once you get familiar with everything.

For ICS:
CM9 - Use CM9 Kernel
MIUI - Use Included Kernel
SE Official Beta - Use Stock ICS Kernel
Customized/Modded SE Official Beta - Use DoomKernel ICS or Stock ICS w/ CWM

For Gingerbread:
Stock ROM - Use Stock Kernel
CM7 - Use CM7 Kernel
Customized/Modded Stock ROM - Use DoomKernel or Stock Kernel or anything else

Also, with respect to ROMs and kernels on here, there is no difference between the arc and arc S.

To answer your question though, I would recommend Arconium (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1325640), which is a minimally modded stock rom.

Latest baseband is recommended and stock kernel currently has the best battery life.

Reactions: migueln

migueln

Sep 5, 2010
Hi DemonicHawk and thanks for your prompt answer.

Yes, the development section for the Arc is quite confusing, especialy when compared to the one I was used to for over 2 years. I really appreciate your help, but from what I've read so far, if I'm not mistaken, every option you've mentioned has it's drawbacks. The following comments I've made to the options you've mentioned are based on everything I've read so far. It's possible they're wrong (at least I hope so...)

For ICS:
CM9 - Use CM9 Kernel
--- Based on SE ICS Beta, which is buggy (GSM DATA - buggy - for some networks works for some does not work), has worse performance in games and video playback and has battery drain issue.
MIUI - Use Included Kernel --- Miui is intended to be an IOS look a like, which I refuse to have on my phone.
SE Official Beta - Use Stock ICS Kernel --- same problems refered in CM9 comments
Customized/Modded SE Official Beta - Use DoomKernel ICS or Stock ICS w/ CWM --- DoomKernel is also mentioned by several people as being buggy and having a battery drain problem (despite its many great features). Stock ICS has the problems mentioned earlier

For Gingerbread:
--- That's what I'm using but I'm getting frustrated with the lack of certain features I had on the Tattoo with CM 2.3.7
MIUI - Use Included Kernel --- Same comments as Miui ICS
CM7 - Use CM7 Kernel --- CM7 is far from fully working and full hardware support, although this would definetly be the one I'd chose if it was 100% working
Customized/Modded Stock ROM - Use DoomKernel or Stock Kernel or anything else --- same comments as the ones regarding ICS

Also, with respect to ROMs and kernels on here, there is no difference between the arc and arc S. --- Not entirely true. For instance, regarding StockPlus Kernel, it is more or less established that the kernel works great on LT15, but causes battery drain on LT18.

Am I wrong?:confused:

Last edited:

DemonicHawk

Jul 16, 2010
Yes, the kernels do seem to be a hit/miss in terms of battery life, hence my suggestion of just sticking with the stock kernel if you want the best battery life. Is there a specific feature you're looking for that isn't present in the stock rom?

Unfortunately, this is the current state of custom ROMs for SE phones, in that many are lacking in comparison to the stock ROM in terms of stability/performance/battery life and sometimes even core features/functions.

Personally, I'm using the latest CM9 (which is not 100% based on the official beta), and performance/stability is quite good, though it still needs some work in some core areas (video playback and video recorder I believe) though I don't use those much to be affected.

So if you have the patience, load up Arconium with the stock rom and wait for the official ICS update, or start weighing your priorities in terms of features/function. :p

Reactions: migueln

migueln

Sep 5, 2010
The 2.3.7 features I miss the most are selecting text automaticaly copies it to clipboard and swipe to clear notifications. Though the first one isn't a must have it is usefull and time saving. But the lack of the second is realy annoing to me. For instance, if I install three or four apps from the market and I had calender notifications already, I can't just dismiss the ones I don't care about and keep the important ones. I either have to keep them all or desmiss them all and go back to the calender, find the appointments and reschedule them. :mad:
I also miss CM specific features, such as volume rocker changes music track / radio station when screen off, control screen brightness by sliding on status bar and profiles.
So I was really looking forward to having CM on the Arc, but it seems it's not going to happen soon, because of the video issues you've mentioned. Video recording and playback are paramount features for me since I also bought the phone to be able to record videos of my daughters, especially my now 3 months old.
All things considered, I'll keep Stock and wait for final ICS, hopefully with root and hope CM support for the ARC overcomes current issues.

Thanks a lot for your help! ;)

sqs1shu

Apr 12, 2010
I can sympathize with this feeling.

After I experienced a few of FC of Arc Gingerbread stock ROM phone app and nagging 'data traffic is disable' notifications, I decided to unlock bootloader of my wife's ARC.

Different custom's ROM has its own kernel and they are not compatible to each other. I had a few blank screens or boot loops because of that. FXP ROM was not helpful in hiding boot.img in zip file, and it has different kernels from FXP 113 to 115.

After used a few of ICS ROMs, We now reluctantly use FXP 115 ICS in Arc. Both of us like CM notification dropdown widget buttons (sleep button is a must) and % battery in notification bar. We also like CM/google phone and people apps, it returns to last state to easily to get to favorite contacts so they can be easily dialed.

One minor thing about ICS FXP 115 is that battery drain is a tad worse than the custom ROM based on stock (ARC S beta ICS), and Sony stock ROM's camera interface is prettier and FM radio app is working while FXP 115 does not have FM radio yet. Both ROM's flash player in web page does not work very well. It plays video for about 10 minutes then whole browser frozen up, It has to be killed to function again.

All my devices are Android based, but for my wife next phone, it is probably something else like her tablet.

skryte

Jan 10, 2010
Lincoln City
The only way to be sure on this, i think, is to test yourself because everybody uses the phone differently, but personally i like jjdoctor's hybrid cocktail with doomkernel ics v4:) I have had no fc and its good on the battery.

omarfaieq007

Jun 28, 2011
I just bought the ARC S and it's still on stock..can u guide me how to unlock bootloader and root and how to install CWM??I am very thankful for u..PEACE

wallimo

Dec 17, 2010
Wuhan
I suggest like others that the best way to find the best ROM for you,is to actually try out the different roms before you pass judgment based on others comments. I came from the HTC hero and like anything I found there was a learning curve, but once you'd got it down pat that it was easy. I have lt15i I really love it., I've used many roms, the ics beta roms miui stock roms cm 7 and 9 ics lite all are great for there own reasons.

Remember when you use custom roms that the people who crated them do it boot for the money but because they want a better phone so be fearful give them a go before you complain about the roms

Isn't Cm7 for arc gb 2.3.7? Also I'm pretty sure the issues with video aren't a problem with cm7 most of the issues you spoke of in Cm 9

Also just to put things into perspective for you, the HTC hero has very few roms and even less open source no camera support for example
Sent from my Xperia Arc using XDA

Last edited:
Reactions: omarfaieq007

omarfaieq007

Jun 28, 2011
I suggest like others that the best way to find the best ROM for you,is to actually try out the different roms before you pass judgment based on others comments. I came from the HTC hero and like anything I found there was a learning curve, but once you'd got it down pat that it was easy. I have lt15i I really love it., I've used many roms, the ics beta roms miui stock roms cm 7 and 9 ics lite all are great for there own reasons.

Remember when you use custom roms that the people who crated them do it boot for the money but because they want a better phone so be fearful give them a go before you complain about the roms

I am really thankful for ur help..but still u didn't mention the rout to unlock bootloader and root and install CWM?I am on v.62 Arc S:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It is a little messy in the development section, and it doesn't help that there's no section for the other Sony Ericsson phones (so they all got thrown into here), but there's really not that many choices once you get familiar with everything.

For ICS:
    CM9 - Use CM9 Kernel
    SE Official Beta - Use Stock ICS Kernel
    Customized/Modded SE Official Beta - Use DoomKernel ICS or Stock ICS w/ CWM

For Gingerbread:
    CM7 - Use CM7 Kernel
    Customized/Modded Stock ROM - Use DoomKernel or Stock Kernel or anything else

Also, with respect to ROMs and kernels on here, there is no difference between the arc and arc S.

To answer your question though, I would recommend Arconium (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1325640), which is a minimally modded stock rom.

Latest baseband is recommended and stock kernel currently has the best battery life.
    Yes, the kernels do seem to be a hit/miss in terms of battery life, hence my suggestion of just sticking with the stock kernel if you want the best battery life. Is there a specific feature you're looking for that isn't present in the stock rom?

Unfortunately, this is the current state of custom ROMs for SE phones, in that many are lacking in comparison to the stock ROM in terms of stability/performance/battery life and sometimes even core features/functions.

Personally, I'm using the latest CM9 (which is not 100% based on the official beta), and performance/stability is quite good, though it still needs some work in some core areas (video playback and video recorder I believe) though I don't use those much to be affected.

So if you have the patience, load up Arconium with the stock rom and wait for the official ICS update, or start weighing your priorities in terms of features/function. :p

Isn't Cm7 for arc gb 2.3.7? Also I'm pretty sure the issues with video aren't a problem with cm7 most of the issues you spoke of in Cm 9

Also just to put things into perspective for you, the HTC hero has very few roms and even less open source no camera support for example