Xoom storage, why MTP instead of USB file system, true APP2SD (from Google developer)

Search This thread

gogol

May 20, 2005
If you are still wondering:
- What is the breakdown of that 32GB Xoom internal memory (how many parition, how much space for apps / files)?
- Why Google is using MTP instead of USB file transfer on Honeycomb?

Here is straight answer from Google developer:

MTP is a big improvement over USB mass storage — for devices with lots of internal memory, a manufacturer no longer needs to come up with some hard partition between the USB mass storage and internal storage. Instead, they are all in one partition, with MTP providing access to the directory of media files that would normally be available through USB mass storage.This means there is no longer a need for apps on SD card for such devices, because what used to be the “internal SD card” is in the same partition as where applications are stored. The storage on your device can be used for either applications or media, depending on what you want to put on it. You aren’t stuck with how much space the manufacturer decided to leave for the two areas.

Oh also this means that the media storage doesn’t need to be unmounted from Android when it is being access through the PC.

http://phandroid.com/2011/02/27/mac-users-require-file-transfer-utility-for-android-3-0/

Finally, true APP2SD :p You now have 32GB to put all your apps!!!

Last edited:

JanetPanic

Oct 17, 2005
Rockville, MD
There is no doubt that mtp has advantages over mass storage. On the other hand I miss the ability to attach it to any computer and access files. It is not a huge problem but does add a limitation that was not there before.

That saod it is nice being able to access files on my computer without losing access to the partition on the device.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App

trackerk

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma City
geekwarrior.net
I'm not sure in terms of security it is a huge improvement; unless there is an option to turn it on/off somewhere.

Previously I would have to plug an Android device in to my computer, turn the device on, enter my unlock code, and then specifically allow the computer access via the USB. This morning I just plugged my xoom in and, poof, access to all my stuff.

At least before someone had to take my sdcard out at put it in their computer manually :)

Malcus1

Mar 3, 2011
Does MTP have anything to do with file size limit? I've seen posted on this forum that you can't load video files larger than 4gb onto the Xoom because of FAT32, is that still the case?

Just-in-time

Nov 4, 2010
This MTP also seems to hide a lot of file from being seen by a pc. I open folders with File manager on the Xoom and see more folders namely the android folder which has game save data and other odd ball files. When hooked to a pc its blank. With MTP it seems all your allowed to do is transfer music, video and pics.

AzimuthMedia

Feb 9, 2011
Does MTP have anything to do with file size limit? I've seen posted on this forum that you can't load video files larger than 4gb onto the Xoom because of FAT32, is that still the case?

Still haven't got around to testing (so many things to try out!), but in some of the video threads, I've been told XOOM uses EXT4 format not FAT32, and thus, should not have that 4GB limit. I've been re-encoding video files to meet XOOM's current playback limitations, and have been reducing them to sub 4GB anyway, so I haven't tested that for myself.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are still wondering:
    - What is the breakdown of that 32GB Xoom internal memory (how many parition, how much space for apps / files)?
    - Why Google is using MTP instead of USB file transfer on Honeycomb?

Here is straight answer from Google developer:

MTP is a big improvement over USB mass storage — for devices with lots of internal memory, a manufacturer no longer needs to come up with some hard partition between the USB mass storage and internal storage. Instead, they are all in one partition, with MTP providing access to the directory of media files that would normally be available through USB mass storage.This means there is no longer a need for apps on SD card for such devices, because what used to be the “internal SD card” is in the same partition as where applications are stored. The storage on your device can be used for either applications or media, depending on what you want to put on it. You aren’t stuck with how much space the manufacturer decided to leave for the two areas.

Oh also this means that the media storage doesn’t need to be unmounted from Android when it is being access through the PC.

http://phandroid.com/2011/02/27/mac-users-require-file-transfer-utility-for-android-3-0/

Finally, true APP2SD :p You now have 32GB to put all your apps!!!