[ROM] Affinity ROM [Beta]

Search This thread

balltongue

Aug 6, 2010
As far as the AOSP version, I havent really worked on it much. I need to play with 2nd-init to get all the blur replaced with AOSP before I can even think about a release date.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda premium

I'm sure if you talk to Dragonzkiller he can give you permission to use his CM7 build as a base and you can build off of that.

Or if you want to create your own base, you can also ask him the dynamics of how he got 2nd init working.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Pretty good so far. 3d blur launcher and contacts widget is just about done. I drove from NorCal to SoCal to meet with my business partner who is a great web and UI designer to work on the aesthetics on the rom. I'd say in the next week we should have the first major alpha for testing ready.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App
    EDIT: As per the request of Mr. Clown to maintain GPL compliance, this rom utilizes the stock kernel for the Motorola DROID X2.

After finalizing the stability testing of the Affinity Alpha ROM, I'm proud to announce the release of the first beta.

Now before there are any misconceptions or hate towards this ROM, I would like to make a few things clear.

This is NOT an original piece of work. I didn't build this from scratch nor will I pretend I did. However, what I did do is assemble a working foundation to start building off of, making it possible to release more substantial updates and make this an almost blur-free experience.

Regarding the controversy surrounding c21johnson's MinimalX ROM:
    Although it may be true that he based his release off of the Chinese DX2 ROM, which itself is the cause of the "moto input method" keyboard that doesn't work and not the result of him "adding a last minute feature that was taken out right before release and all traces weren't removed" (I'm paraphrasing), he did put a good deal of time into building his adaptation and making sure it was stable, and we should all give him credit where it is due.

My ROM is also based off of the CHS DX2 ROM and I would like to acknowledge both that development team and c21johnson's work which helped me understand how to begin and develop this project.

With this current release, not a whole lot has been done yet. However, most of the bloat has been removed, the Blur launcher has been replaced with Launcher2, and there has been some style modifications.

In the future releases, this is what I plan to accomplish:

• Full AOSP (This is about 25% done so far. I am currently dealing with some compatibility issue with the contacts, messaging and calendar apps.)
    • Rework the install process to actually format the system and preinstall folders for installing the rom, rather than just deleting each app manually.
    • CPU Frequency Scaling built in
    • Once I know app development a little better, I will release a toolbox similar to Liberty's to make edits, install themes, etc.

I'm sure more will come up along the way, but those are my highest priorities.

To install this ROM, you MUST be on an unmodified stock install. I tried installing over the stock ROM with a couple of system files missing and it ended up needing an SBF flash.

EDIT:
    If you have a nandroid backup of the unmodified stock (except root and recovery) you can restore back and flash this ROM rather than SBFing.

1.) Download the ROM
    2.) Place the ROM on your SD Card (internal or external is fine)
    3.) Boot into Recovery (you need the bootstrap app to get to the correct recovery - www.bandbinnovations.com/xda/DX2/Bootstrap_signed.apk)
    4.) Wipe DATA and Cache (VERY IMPORTANT!!)
    5.) Install zip from SD Card (internal or external)
    6.) Select the ROM and install it.
    7.) Reboot

It should start up pretty quick, but if you are sitting around for more than 5 minutes on the boot logo or boot animation, you may have followed a step wrong.

IMPORTANT POST-INSTALL NOTE:
    After installing and reaching the setup screen, skip the setup steps and get to the home screen. Then access the settings, go to language and keyboard and set either swype or multi-touch keyboard as your device.

If you enjoy what I've done so far, I appreciate donations. I spent about 20 hours in the past few days and had to do about 15 SBF flashes to get this to a stable point, and I will continue to put this amount of time on a regular basis. I'm really broke right now and I cant even afford a beer. Won't somebody buy me a beer or two, or six please!?!?!

Click here to donate!

Here are your Mirrors:

Mirror 1: http://bit.ly/q5Y3mc

Mirror 2: http://bit.ly/pLR61l

I Have attached the screen previews of the ROM's current look and feel.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy. Please use this topic to discuss any bugs you find and use the other topic for development discussion.
    So just a quick update.

What I'm currently working on is the port of the 3D Blur elements (launcher and contacts pulldown widget).

So far I've got the launcher to load, but it crashes as soon as you swipe or try to move an icon. My guess is that it's lacking the dependencies needed for the 3D manipulation of the screens when swiping and the icons when you try to move them.

Now keep in mind that I'm still not a pro at this. I'm just a mere PHP web developer trying to learn this as I go along.

Can anyone provide some insight on if my method is correct, or if there's something in particular I may be missing that will make this process a bit easier? Any help is always appreciated.

Yeah I'm gonna spend the next week really looking into the 2nd-init framework to better understand it. But as far as a blur based ROM, I don't think it's a big deal to offer it. There are blur aspects I really enjoy the aesthetics of but of course the AOSP definitely has the advantage for speed and reliability. If I cook the right scripts and init.d hacks into the ROMS, the blur version should still be pretty satisfying.

U have no idea how ecstatic people will be to have that 3d blur...seriously...
    I'll probably get shunned for even suggesting a blurbased rom like a gb affinity but I figure it would come quick compared to a aosp which would take much more time considering you have to make it work with 2nd init.
    Just glad to have another dev on our X2 :) Selection is always nice ;)
    Welcome back!

Yeah I'm gonna spend the next week really looking into the 2nd-init framework to better understand it. But as far as a blur based ROM, I don't think it's a big deal to offer it. There are blur aspects I really enjoy the aesthetics of but of course the AOSP definitely has the advantage for speed and reliability. If I cook the right scripts and init.d hacks into the ROMS, the blur version should still be pretty satisfying.