FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Video recording weaknesses of the IDEOS X5

142 posts
Thanks Meter: 43

By paraiso-san, Senior Member on 3rd September 2012, 06:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello. I've noticed that, unlike my other droid based on the same SoC, the Sony Ericsson Live With Walkman, this X5 has a couple of problems when recording video, regardless of the ROM.
First, when recording in low-light conditions, the framerate drops to an unusable level. Even in the photo camera, when moving around, I can see some "ghosting". The other issue concerns the very low bitrate of the audio recording, but it seems that it's improved in the ICS ROM's using the AAC codec. At least the bitrate is higher, but I haven't tried yet if that translates to a better sound recording quality, or if the bottleneck in the video's sound quality is the quality of the microphone itself.

Has anyone experienced any of these problems and know any workaround? The framerate drop in low light happens even if the phone is overclocked.
3rd September 2012, 10:40 PM |#2  
Flag San Giuliano milanese
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Dual Mic Setting
Hello paraiso-san,
my wife phone had the "low-level" mic recording issue, and I fixed it following this procedure.
Since I did it some time ago I hope to write it correctly:

1. Launch the numeric pad, and compose this code: *#*#2846579#*#*
2. Phone will open a tech menu (pay attention!), click on ProjectMenu
3. Click on 1.Background setting
4. Click on 6.Dual Mic Setting
5. Set it to On
6. Go to home, and restart phone

NB

In case of no Dual Mic Setting line on tech menu:
1. Edit build.prop file, in system folder by Root Explorer, Root Browser Lite or similar
2. Add ro.config.dualmic=true on bottom of file and save the file
3. Restart the phone

In case of no changes on audio level when Dual Mic Setting has been set to On:
1. Set it to Off
2. Restart the phone
3. Take a video (just to try...)
4. Set it to On
5. Restart the phone
6. Take a video again (keep fingers crossed)

GOOD LUCK!

FeW
4th September 2012, 11:51 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Coimbra
Thanks Meter: 43

Donate to Me
More
Thank you! Can't try the secret menu method because I'm not running the official 2.3.5 anymore, I'm using Aurora now and changing the audio recording codec from AMR to AAC made a huge difference. The mediainfo program for Windows tells me that the audio bitrate is now 96kbps instead of the previous 8000bps, and the audio is recorded in 2 channels (stereo) instead of 1. Does this mean the problem is solved, or should I edit the .prop file anyway? About the lag in photos and dropped frames in video recording under poor light, I can't find a solution. Could it be a limitation of the lens/sensor itself? My Sony WT19i has the same SoC, at the same 1.4GHz clockspeed, and it doesn't get lower than 29fps at 720p, even in total darkness. Not even if I underclock it to 800MHz. I don't understand why the X5 behaves this way!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)