How to break the phone completely

Search This thread

WStealth

Dec 3, 2009
I have a fried eMMC chip. But the phone is on 6.98.0000 boot loader.
I would like to break the phone completely, to hide that the phone was S-OFF.

How can I do that?

Unfortunately, all of the software methods (adb, fastboot) doesn't work for me.

I'm interesting in hardware actions.

Last edited:

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
Drop it in a bowl of water?

Stick in in the oven with your pizza?

Microwave it like a gremlin?

Run over it with an Abrahms tank?

Need I go on? :D

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
They might well do. I was trying to make a point to you - you may just be out of luck with this one unless you find somebody at HTC who is very incompetent or very kind.

WStealth

Dec 3, 2009
Thank you.

So, as I understand - I will pay 180 euro for the HTC issue. (I done S-OFF on November and everything works fine for 5 months until I removed the battery).

I think it's the last my HTC phone. :(

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
I think your best chance is to dump it in a bowl of water like Simon said.

Its the least obvious way to induce visible physical damage to the phone. Open up the battery compartment, take out the battery/similar/SD card etc then just dunk it in!

Leave it for about 5 minutes. Then after that dry it. Make sure its dried very well.

Not sure how you might prevent this, but try not to get water on the inside if the screen.

Maybe a better I idea is to get a cup of water, open the battery compartment, can pour tiny drops over the internal components, in hope of successfully damaging them.

Then maybe it won't get to the screen.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
So, as I understand - I will pay 180 euro for the HTC issue. (I done S-OFF on November and everything works fine for 5 months until I removed the battery).

I think it's the last my HTC phone. :(

I'm not entirely sure that blaming HTC for this is exactly fair. Yes, the eMMC issue does catch a few people - but not many as a percentage. However, you chose to root your phone, despite all the very clear warnings that it would invalidate the warranty if anything went wrong.

I, and I suspect many others here, also made that choice - knowing that the benefits of rooting were huge and that the risks were worth it. I was one of the very first to root as I bought an XTC Clip before there was any software way of achieving S-Off - so I knew damn well that if I screwed up I had lost everything. If I had done then I wouldn't have dreamed of blaming HTC for what I had done.

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
I wouldn't consider any method involving water, as the phone has at least one moisture detection strip inside it

Just cross your fingers and then Send it back and hope they fix it

unless you want a lump of flaming plastic avoid the microwave

Swyped form ym Dersie S unsig XAD Permuim

Last edited:

WStealth

Dec 3, 2009
I'm not entirely sure that blaming HTC for this is exactly fair. Yes, the eMMC issue does catch a few people - but not many as a percentage. However, you chose to root your phone, despite all the very clear warnings that it would invalidate the warranty if anything went wrong.

I, and I suspect many others here, also made that choice - knowing that the benefits of rooting were huge and that the risks were worth it. I was one of the very first to root as I bought an XTC Clip before there was any software way of achieving S-Off - so I knew damn well that if I screwed up I had lost everything. If I had done then I wouldn't have dreamed of blaming HTC for what I had done.

I'm totally agree with you.

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
I'd imagine that if someone got a usb charging cable... Cut the insulation off part of the cable.... Plugged it into a phone.. & electric outlet... Pour some (VERY LITTLE) water on the broken cable... The short should fry the phone... DON'T DO THIS! DON'T BE IN BARE FEET! WEAR RUBBER SOLE SHOES!

Sent From my Two Tin Cans & String Device on The Wookie Network

djisgod

Oct 10, 2011
torquay
I'd imagine that if someone got a usb charging cable... Cut the insulation off part of the cable.... Plugged it into a phone.. & electric outlet... Pour some (VERY LITTLE) water on the broken cable... The short should fry the phone... DON'T DO THIS! DON'T BE IN BARE FEET! WEAR RUBBER SOLE SHOES!

your advising him to pour water on a live exposed wire? yeah thats not a good idea if you like being alive.

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
your advising him to pour water on a live exposed wire? yeah thats not a good idea if you like being alive.

I'm NOT advising anyone to do anything!

I'm just imagining what might happen to a phone ... If that happened.
Obviously, no one would be standing in the water.. And if the outlet has GFCI, like most bathroom outlets, the person would be protected...
Ever see a microwave explode... Gee, that's safe??!

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
I'm NOT advising anyone to do anything!

I'm just imagining what might happen to a phone ... If that happened.
Obviously, no one would be standing in the water.. And if the outlet has GFCI, like most bathroom outlets, the person would be protected...
Ever see a microwave explode... Gee, that's safe??!

Nothing would happen. The amount of current going through the USB cable is very minimal. Assuming that the water would even short it to begin with, nothing would happen to the phone at all since the short would cause the current to go back into the adapter, it won't even reach the phone. The adapter would most likely cut out the power supply going into the USB upon experiencing a short and go into safety mode until it is unplugged for a minute or so.

mouzzza

Aug 7, 2011
Austria, NOT Australia ;)
If you have the time to wait, do not send your device untill HTC is giving out update to ICS. There they will get back more devices bricked throug updating (Problem with syncing more than one app at once in market, ...)!

dan-fish

May 27, 2011
I've sent mine back and it came back fully repaired. No costs, water or microwaves necessary.

Just make sure not to send the battery or sd card.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Reactions: eyahl and djisgod

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've sent mine back and it came back fully repaired. No costs, water or microwaves necessary.

How is it possible that guys from the HTC support, will not recognize that the phone was in microwave oven?

the best advice in this thread,why people are offering such idiotic advice is beyond me.