[RECOVERY] Monster RootPack 0.7 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD (1.1 Compatible!)

Search This thread

hacku

Aug 7, 2010
Arizona
thecubed said:
(We now have 128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb images!)

This may be a stupid question, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. So these different size images, do you download the one corresponding to the size of the SD card that you'll be using to boot?

I'm only downloading CWR, so if I'm putting it on a 8GB SD card I should download the 8GB image, right?

Last edited:

thecubed

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
This may be a stupid question, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. So these different size images, do you download the one corresponding to the size of the SD card that you'll be using to boot?

I'm only downloading CWR, so if I'm putting it on a 8GB SD card I should download the 8GB image, right?
Yes.

Download the proper sized image for your SD card. If you download the 128mb image and put that on your 8gb card, it would temporarily resize your 8gb card to 128mb, which would be of no use for making nandroid backups.

Crimton

Apr 30, 2010
Nashville
I think the rootpack on the mirror is corrupted. I'm only getting a 20mb file that will not extract. The rootpack downloading from the original host is very slow.

same here. i cannot get it to extract successfully and what is extracted is only 22MB and has the same name as the tar.gz. getting an error during extraction

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

edit: the mirror and original download are not the same size

Last edited:

fpga_guy

Feb 7, 2011
I cannot seem to "buy" books from BN after updating the ROM to 1.1 and rooting. I tried these methods:

Method 1
Register stock 1.0.1 NC
Upgrade by copying 1.1 to NC via usb cable as suggested by BN
Root with Rootpack 0.7
Everything works but browsing for book from BN.

Method 2
Register stock 1.0.1 NC
Root with Rootpack 0.7
Load Nook Color V1.1.0_r2 [01/29/2011] by Decad3nce
Still can't buy books.

Did 1.1 do something? There is along thread regarding using BN features at stores with 1.1.

Thanks again

I posted this question in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=11411627#post11411627

It appears that if you root 1.1 with Rootpack 0.7 the "Shop" feature where you can browse and buy books is disabled. The symptom is that the Shop program just hangs and FC.

I had to restore to stock and then use Auto-nooter 3.0.0

jttraverse

Jul 12, 2010
running CWR still causes the CWR boot loop..

There's no problems using my rootpack to root 1.1, the only bug at the moment is the installclockwork.zip seems to get people stuck in CWR.

Just use the new rootpack to root 1.1 and install CWR from within 1.1 using rom manager.

Interesting development in case no one else has noticed this. I had previously cleared everything and gone back to stock v1.1. I then used the Monster Root Pack to root my Nook, but this time did not install CWR (because of previous experience where I got stuck in the boot loop back to CWR). After things came up nicely, then I installed CWR from inside ROM Manager and things seemed fine. Rebooting works normally if I turn the device off and on.
What I've found, however, is that if I go into ROM Manager and from there I select the option to reboot to CWR, it does reboot--but afterward it is again back to the CWR boot loop. At that point I have to use the original 128mb Rootpack and run the 'uninstallclockwork' zip in order to be able to reboot normally. I can reinstall CWR just fine, and everything seems to be functional as long as the Nook is not rebooted using the 'reboot to CWR' from inside ROM Manager.

So, there may be some issue either with the way the Monster Root Pack does things, or maybe with how ROM Manager ties in with CWR, or maybe just CWR itself on v1.1. But I think maybe I need to go back to stock and root the device with Autonooter instead and see if CWR behaves the same way after that.

Anyone else seen this?
-JTT

PMDColeslaw

Dec 3, 2008
Memphis
Im lost, lol. I followed the directions in the wiki and I was able to flash the root.zip and gapps.zip. I reboot and everything comes up fine. When I try to launch youtube, it just reloads the extras app drawer. Also when I try to use the SoftKeys app it says unable to execute as root. What am I doing wrong? I just got my NC today and its version 1.0.1

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Interesting development in case no one else has noticed this. I had previously cleared everything and gone back to stock v1.1. I then used the Monster Root Pack to root my Nook, but this time did not install CWR (because of previous experience where I got stuck in the boot loop back to CWR). After things came up nicely, then I installed CWR from inside ROM Manager and things seemed fine. Rebooting works normally if I turn the device off and on.
What I've found, however, is that if I go into ROM Manager and from there I select the option to reboot to CWR, it does reboot--but afterward it is again back to the CWR boot loop. At that point I have to use the original 128mb Rootpack and run the 'uninstallclockwork' zip in order to be able to reboot normally. I can reinstall CWR just fine, and everything seems to be functional as long as the Nook is not rebooted using the 'reboot to CWR' from inside ROM Manager.

So, there may be some issue either with the way the Monster Root Pack does things, or maybe with how ROM Manager ties in with CWR, or maybe just CWR itself on v1.1. But I think maybe I need to go back to stock and root the device with Autonooter instead and see if CWR behaves the same way after that.

Anyone else seen this?
-JTT

This seems to be a known bug for Clockwork. I believe it's related to the boot manager (u-boot) for 1.1.

For now, I'd recommend against installing clockwork to your internal storage and instead relying on a SD card for using clockwork until this is sorted out.

smashbottom

Aug 14, 2008
This seems to be a known bug for Clockwork. I believe it's related to the boot manager (u-boot) for 1.1.

For now, I'd recommend against installing clockwork to your internal storage and instead relying on a SD card for using clockwork until this is sorted out.

I just opened the package rooted and such, installed clockwork and I'm now stuck on this rotation, how do I exactly get out of it?

jhnstn00

Oct 5, 2008
South Texas
I have cwr installed on internal via your update zip. How to I get to recovery? I like quickbook to het to recovery, does that work?

Sent from Continuum 2.2 w/ Sensation 1.2 (Awesome)

smashbottom

Aug 14, 2008

use the uninstallclockwork.zip file in the rootpack. it seems to set things back to normal.

Thank you!

For those that are having a similar problem like me, I found the downloadable file here:

legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/zips/extras/

smashbottom

Aug 14, 2008
I've done the "Install zip from sdcard" and selected Removeclockwork... I install it, and reboot the device and clockwork still starts back up! Anyone have any other ideas?

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
I've done the "Install zip from sdcard" and selected Removeclockwork... I install it, and reboot the device and clockwork still starts back up! Anyone have any other ideas?

...did you remember to remove the SD card?

If the SD card is in, the device will ALWAYS boot to clockwork.

If you format the SD card, it will go back to being a normal SD card, and you can leave it in on boot without the device booting to clockwork.

Reactions: smashbottom

smashbottom

Aug 14, 2008
...did you remember to remove the SD card?

If the SD card is in, the device will ALWAYS boot to clockwork.

If you format the SD card, it will go back to being a normal SD card, and you can leave it in on boot without the device booting to clockwork.

Maybe that was it, I had the SD card in, but now I'm getting the black screen where it will not bootup, or flash.

I've done everything in this thread with no luck:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=949699

I've tried both the rootpack or the clockware recovery image...

I even tried hitting the Power button alone many times, and with the home button... attempting to get the 8 fail thing.

I then attempted to put the auto-nooter3 on the SD card, no luck, no screen flash or anything....

I have two nook color's I'm playing with, therefore I've formated the card multiple times using a different android device...

fwdixon

Oct 15, 2010
Maybe that was it, I had the SD card in, but now I'm getting the black screen where it will not bootup, or flash.

I've done everything in this thread with no luck:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=949699

I've tried both the rootpack or the clockware recovery image...

I even tried hitting the Power button alone many times, and with the home button... attempting to get the 8 fail thing.

I then attempted to put the auto-nooter3 on the SD card, no luck, no screen flash or anything....

I have two nook color's I'm playing with, therefore I've formated the card multiple times using a different android device...

plug it into a pc and see if it gets detected. It may be on but the screen isn't. Happens occasionally. You can either wait for the battery to die or disconnect and reconnect the battery cable (pull the back off, and there is a little plug for the battery cable up near the volume buttons)

Reactions: smashbottom

smashbottom

Aug 14, 2008
plug it into a pc and see if it gets detected. It may be on but the screen isn't. Happens occasionally. You can either wait for the battery to die or disconnect and reconnect the battery cable (pull the back off, and there is a little plug for the battery cable up near the volume buttons)

Thank you, I've rooted many devices without problems... I was thinking, "If I could just tear the damn battery out it'll probably work fine."

I unplugged the battery and plugged it back in, no luck. No nothing. I attempted to plug it into the computer and nothing...

For an unbrickable device, I've sure done a good job at not allowing myself to get it to turn on... :p :p :p :p and it's been on the charger all afternoon, except when I was fiddling with it

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Thank you, I've rooted many devices without problems... I was thinking, "If I could just tear the damn battery out it'll probably work fine."

I unplugged the battery and plugged it back in, no luck. No nothing. I attempted to plug it into the computer and nothing...

For an unbrickable device, I've sure done a good job at not allowing myself to get it to turn on... :p :p :p :p and it's been on the charger all afternoon, except when I was fiddling with it

Woah, hold up.

So, now you get nothing on the screen when you turn it on with NO sd installed?

What happens if you boot it with my rootpack SD in?

...if it shows CWM when you boot with my rootpack SD, then it just means that you hosed your /boot partition.

Check around here for the complete restore to stock .zip. It has a complete partition backup that should set you straight, no need to ever pull the battery.

(I may be incorrect, but with our device, there should never be a need to pull the battery-- holding the power button for 20 seconds will trigger the cpu to power off. It's not a software thing- it will ALWAYS work.)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New version 0.7 available!
    Now compatible with software version 1.1 !!
    Special thanks to Decad3nce for the new framework.jar!

Howdy everyone! It's thecubed / IOMonster again!

This time, I'm back with a MONSTER release :)

For all those asking "What's a Monster RootPack"? It's simple!
    It's a SD card image containing a bootable Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 and a set of .zip files that allow you to root your device and install Google Apps (market, gmail, youtube, etc).

All you have to do is read the instructions-- it explains the rest.
    Please be sure to read ALL the instructions first before using this utility!

All the instructions can be found here: http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/rootpack-instructions.html
    Be sure to read through them!
    I'm not one for huge forum posts, so keeping all the instructions on one URL helps me stay organized :)

Downloads:
    Download the RootPack here: http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/128mb_rootpack-0.7.tar.gz [mirror]

Or

Download a bootable Clockwork SD card (128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, 8gb) here:
    http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/ [mirrors]

Updated Zip Files:
    Use these if you already have a bootable SD, or even CWM installed on your device:
    http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/zips

Want to build your own CWM SD cards?
    Download this: http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/buildenv-0.7.tar.gz
    It's a complete build environment for making bootable SD cards. Included are the source files for 128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb SD cards.

Updates:
    • Version 0.7
      New build environment!
      New CWR sizes, rootpack reduced to 128mb image. (We now have 128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb images!)
      1.1 Rooting and Google Apps support! (thanks D3cad3nc3!)
      FIXED: backup/restore from CWM now works correctly!
    • Version 0.5
      Well, packages.xml is in /data/system, not /system .. oops.
      Release of 128mb bootable Clockwork SD card also
      Adds block-1.1.zip and unblock-1.1.zip to block the updates the easy way!
    • Version 0.4r2
      Bugfixes. Lots of 'em.
    • Version 0.4
      Fix root.zip and googleapps.zip permissions problems (/data/app and /system/app DO have different owners and permissions)
      Bootable CWM base: No change; version bumped to 0.4 just because.
    • Version 0.3
      Update to most recent Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 build (should have working backup/restore, and defaults to ext2/ext3 support instead of ext4)
      Fixes root.zip and googleapps.zip bugs (can't believe I forgot a semicolon!)
      Updates installclockwork.zip to latest Clockwork Recovery build supporting ext2/3
    • Version 0.2
      Initial public beta release

This brings me to my final point: this rootpack has been tested on my device, but I'm sure there are still bugs! If you want a time-tested method for rooting your device, stick with AutoNooter for the time being.

BUT! I really need testers! If you'd like to test this, please let me know.

Questions/comments welcome! :)
    I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to restore my Nook to stock and several of the links in this post are dead. Would it be possible for someone to update the thread?
    You don't need this thread. Go to my NC tips thread linked in my signature and follow item A15 to get back to stock.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
    1.1 Compatible Rootpack Just released!

This release brings with it the ability to make backups of your NookColor to SD while booted from CWM on SD, and a fixed version of the installClockwork.zip, so backups will now work!

The biggest announcement being that this rootpack is now 1.1 compatible! Want an easy way to root+install market on your 1.1 device? This is it!

Another biggie is the second most requested feature: more SD sizes!
    I've now got 128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb images up for download.

As a side note, the 1.1 rooting+gApps ability of this rootpack are UNTESTED. I have replaced the proper files in the proper places, but there is no guarantee that this'll work. If you want to try the 1.1 rooting + gApps, please be ready to factory restore your NookColor if it doesn't work out.

With that said, i'll be sure to remove this warning once i've seen a few successful installs.

Any testers?

OH and for the love of all that's good and holy, TURN OFF YOUR DOWNLOAD MANAGERS / ACCELERATORS!
    Is it possible to use this to make a nandroid backup of a NC without "installing" from it? I have my NC working great right now, but I'd really like to be able to nandroid it. And I'd prefer not to install CWM, I keep seeing posts that make me feel it's not yet stable for the Nook Color.

In theory, this should support making backups, but since the partition size is only 1gb, I don't think your backup would fit.

I can make a 4gb bootable CWM card sometime soon for those that wish to try.

Again, thanks everyone for your patience! I'm still trying to troubleshoot why root.zip bootloops people...
    I found your post after I posted. I am trying to do that now. Side question, I had CM7 on my Nook previously.

I used win32diskimager to write the "CWM-6.0.1.2-bootable_SD.zip" to my SD card. I will first be using the "NookColor-emmc-format-partitions-5-6-7-8.zip". Do I need to boot to recovery to run this? By holding power+n? Then I plan on removing the format zip and putting the "nookcolor_1_4_3_signed.zip" on my SD card and flashing that. Same question, do I need the power+n or will the SD card just start CWM because of the image I wrote to it?

Thanks.
    If you successfully made the SD, it should boot directly to it when you have it inserted and power on. You can put both zips on the card and boot to CWM and install one after the other without rebooting.

It does not matter what you had installed previously, it will all get wiped.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app