Post Reply Email Thread
3rd December 2012, 02:39 AM |#131  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,880

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone0

leapinlar, is your MD5 match their? It seem HD and HD+ maybe using the same framework, but 2.0.0 are differ from 2.0.2 = 2.0.4.

Yes, both my devices with 2.0.2 and 2.0.4 have the same md5 as they were posting. I think it is just your 2.0.0 that has a different framework-res file and md5.

Thanks for the input guys.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk
3rd December 2012, 09:22 AM |#132  
Thanks Meter: 280

More
This maybe another one of those lengthy post. I couldn't sleep, so I decided to take a quick peek at the adb problem people are having. So I tested installing the B&N Nook drivers on another Windows 7 x64 PC. Well, to be quite honest, I almost didn't look at the OP guide at all.

What you need:
In fact, what I need are 3 things.
ADB files which OP provided on the first post, but I already have that.
Drivers files, OP provided that also, but I already have it too.
Lastly the ini file, which I have it save up somewhere also.

Problem(s):
So thinking back why are so many people having problem getting ADB to recognize the Nook HD? I came down to 2 things.
1. Windows 7 64bits doesn't like the "UNSIGNED" drivers.
2. ADB doesn't see the Nook HD.
I already know that b4 hand starting w/ Windows 7 in 64bits and Windows 8, Microsoft restricted the allowance of unsigned drivers in fear of malwares. I was about to update one of my machine to Windows 8 because I need the Storage Spaces features so I did some research on this.
The issue with ADB doesn't see the Nook is because of that ini file, at least that's what my guess is. This is basically the only time I went to the OP post to look exactly where do I suppose to put that file. It has been so long ago I forgot.

SUMMARY of STEPS:
So, this is what you need to do in summary.
1. Allow Windows 7 64bits to use unsigned drivers.
2. Install Nook drivers.
3. get ADB to recognize Nook.

This is what I actually did:

1. run the below command in command prompt w/ admin privilege. Just because you already have admin priv and open a cmd box doesn't make it so. Click start, type in cmd, and right click on the cmd icon and select run as administrator.
Code:
bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
You should see a reply "The operation completed successfully." after each command. Once you done that, reboot.

2. While waiting for Windows to rebooted, go into your Nook and enable ADB. And don't plug it in yet. After getting back in to Windows you should see some text at the bottom right corner. Open the Device Manager up by right click on your Computer icon and select Manage. Click on Device Manager on the left, and right click on the computer name on the right and select Add legacy hardware. Once you got a dialog box click Next, select Advanced option and hit Next again. Hit Next again, then Have Disk. Then point it to where you download drivers and uncompressed it. You should see 3 choices, start with one, then finish the install. Don't worry about whether it work or not, then start the process beginning with Add legacy hardware again for the 2 choices also.

3. Now that you have all 3 items installed, hook your Nook to the PC. Then you should see something happened, then go to your nook device and go to Settings > Storage Management > USB connectivity, then toggle between MTP and PTP a few time, each time wait a few second for Windows to install drivers. Put it back to MTP then go to Device Information then Developer options. Toggle that a few time also. The driver installation is now complete. You can go back to the device manager and delete the extra drivers that didn't work at this point. If what you see is working is "Android ADB Interface" try update it and it should become "Android Composite ADB Interface" I'm not sure what the different is.

4. Get the zip file attached below and unzip it at C:\users\{your user profile name} Then you should see a new folder name call ".android", yes there is that little dot/period in the front, and it's pretty important. Inside that folder is a file name adb_usb.ini, and if you read inside, you should see 0x2080 text.

5. Now if you start the adb for the first time, it should see your nook. If not, you gonna have to kill the adb service and then run adb again. Try running command like "adb devices" and you should see your nook device id list there.

6. Locking the system back down from being able to load unsigned drivers is rather optional, your you should and reboot. If you didn't get to see the adb working in step 5, after reboot it very should.

Code:
bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

The truth:

It take me less than 20 mins to get this working, I can adb shell into my nook the new machine w/ that short amount of time. It make me more time to explain this here. And for some people maybe more time to actually read and grasp the idea than actually doing it. So, once you understand why it doesn't work, it's quite easy to look for solution.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Windows_adb_usb_dot_android.zip - [Click for QR Code] (238 Bytes, 1751 views)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to someone0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift someone0 Ad-Free
3rd December 2012, 06:03 PM |#133  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Just thought I would mention. Creating a live Linux flash drive with persistent file is easier to use when setting up ADB. On Ubuntu, there is a package (I forgot the name) in the repo. I was up and running with ADB in 5 minutes after booting the flash drive the first time.

UPDATE: the package is called Android-tools.
tech.sixcolumns.com/2012/09/how-to-install-adb-and-fastboot-via-ppa-in-ubuntu/

Sent from my Infuse 4G using Tapatalk 2
3rd December 2012, 07:01 PM |#134  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 83

More
do adb devices I can.

do adb reboot the HD+ I can.

Issue an adb install foo.apk I can.

Observe that anything happened after the above I can't.
--- hang adb does
--- no new foo.apk on the HD+ there is
--- ctl-c out of adb I must.

Frustrated I am. Thank you I do.
3rd December 2012, 11:57 PM |#135  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 112

More
OK, been cruising along, downloading from PLAY etc. no problem. Decide to download the SWYPE beta, start to install and get "For security, you NOOK is set to block installation of applications not obtained from teh NOOK App Store". I rechecked the 'setting.db' file, and that still has secure/install_non_market_apps set to 1. I tried moving the file to the ext_sdcard directory just in case it was location linked and still no go. Is there another place to allow file installation like this? Or do I need to sideload?
4th December 2012, 12:08 AM |#136  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Info 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibilln

--- no new foo.apk on the HD+ there is

Did you try to launch it from a new launcher?

Also you could try to see if it's in the extras apps menu by opening the "APPS" menu and then holding vol+ and then pressing and holding your finger over the "APPS(#)" bar for about 2~3 seconds.
If done correctly the screen will flash and an "extras" screen will appear with all(or almost all) the apps that are installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibilln

--- ctl-c out of adb I must.

Doesn't "adb exit" work?
I think I remember that you had to type it twice to exit from the adb shell, maybe it's that?
4th December 2012, 03:53 AM |#137  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 83

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1c47

Did you try to launch it from a new launcher?

Also you could try to see if it's in the extras apps menu by opening the "APPS" menu and then holding vol+ and then pressing and holding your finger over the "APPS(#)" bar for about 2~3 seconds.
If done correctly the screen will flash and an "extras" screen will appear with all(or almost all) the apps that are installed.

Can't try another launcher 'cause can't install anything.
No non-stock apps in extras.
Thanks...
4th December 2012, 04:05 AM |#138  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh369

OK, been cruising along, downloading from PLAY etc. no problem. Decide to download the SWYPE beta, start to install and get "For security, you NOOK is set to block installation of applications not obtained from teh NOOK App Store". I rechecked the 'setting.db' file, and that still has secure/install_non_market_apps set to 1. I tried moving the file to the ext_sdcard directory just in case it was location linked and still no go. Is there another place to allow file installation like this? Or do I need to sideload?

In the devicemanager.db (same place you change fota mode to manual) look at line 28 install_unknown_source_app. Try changing that from false to true.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lkmiller For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lkmiller Ad-Free
4th December 2012, 03:54 PM |#139  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 112

More
That did it, thanks!

Edit: But now the Swype Installer seems to be stuck 'checking installer version"..ah, maybe it isn't to be.

Edit2: That cleared afterall, but now stuck on login screen...we'll have to see if this works.

FYI, now working, much prefer swyping to typing.
The Following User Says Thank You to dbh369 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dbh369 Ad-Free
4th December 2012, 04:10 PM |#140  
Thanks Meter: 280

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller

In the devicemanager.db (same place you change fota mode to manual) look at line 28 install_unknown_source_app. Try changing that from false to true.

I guess, I have to update my script to include that as well. I start to wonder if that's a good thing, maybe it try to install to /system and it lock that for good reason, can you see if you can reboot install the keyboard?
4th December 2012, 06:33 PM |#141  
Thanks Meter: 91

More
hi all,
can somebody send me his /system/etc/host file?
Thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nook hd+ hd, rooting, tips

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)