Cubot Manito (Real Reviews & Discussion) 5" HD, MT6737, 3Gb+16Gb, 2350mAh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

megthebest

Jul 18, 2014
goo.gl
This is the new cheap Manito smartphone from Cubot

Cpu MT6737 at 1,3Ghz, Andorid 6 , 3Gb ram + 16Gb storage, 4G, 2350mAh, Notification Led Light, Silicon Armor Case included.

2Uu1mlz.jpg

77f9616a0a.jpg

77f970b9ae.jpg

Cubot Website:Cubot Manito - Just good is really good

Reactions: martin99999

derkshow

Jan 9, 2017
Root

How to root this phone.

I have a problem when I upgrade firmware, I don't have IMEI now. Normally MTK chipset is possible insert IMEI with mobileuncletools but this terminal noy has CDS Information menu.

Please help me

pepelopez12

Apr 14, 2011
fotaprovider is spyware?
Malwarebytes say: youtube client inflected by trojan.spy.agent.ytb remove not possible

megthebest

Jul 18, 2014
goo.gl
How to root this phone.

I have a problem when I upgrade firmware, I don't have IMEI now. Normally MTK chipset is possible insert IMEI with mobileuncletools but this terminal noy has CDS Information menu.

Please help me
need to restore imei with this method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEYVoDM2uHw

TWRP is available here http://www.mediafire.com/file/fbibcd6e29t5ewb/Manito_TWRP_3.0.2.1.rar
fotaprovider is spyware?
Malwarebytes say: youtube client inflected by trojan.spy.agent.ytb remove not possible
If malwarebytes report adups-fota as malware, you need to wait for firmware update that fix..
Cubot is going to update manito... which rom version you had now?

megthebest

Jul 18, 2014
goo.gl
After updating to that version:

• Android security patch level: 5 November 2016
  • Baseband version: MOLY.LR9.W1444.MD.LWTG.MP.V88.P17,2016/12/05 11:29
  • Kernel version: 3.18.19+ user@linux-user #1 Tue May 17 10:40:28 CST 2016
  • Build number: CUBOT_6093C_MANITO_V11_20161205

Thanks, so is a good news, expecially for security patch update.. please check with malwarebytes if adups-fota is updated and no malware

wurtelll

Aug 2, 2010
I did a scan and malwarebytes found no problems.
I have since also noticed that after this update the notification LED is working! That was one thing I missed previously. It's still very dim but at least I can see if there are notifications without having to activate the screen.

beertodeath

Nov 11, 2013
Everything is ok now

I got my phone on 31/12/2016 and it had installed the previous ROM. After I used my phone for few hours I realized it was installing applications without my permission. Also every time I was using Chrome it was opening itself tabs with SMS premium services. I upgraded the ROM with the links provided on the Cubot forum and now everything seems ok.
Also take a look at that: If you use ES file explorer and search in system apps with the keyword "opera" you will find an application with the name "Opera Mobile Store" signed by *hanhai.hanhai_OHQ. It doesn't look like an official app from Opera. I did some research on google and found out it's probably something suspicious. Malwarebytes and AVG didn't show anything but just in case I deactivated this app. That was the least i could do because I didn't root my phone yet.
PD4eXVv.png

beertodeath

Nov 11, 2013
After updating to that version:

• Android security patch level: 5 November 2016
  • Baseband version: MOLY.LR9.W1444.MD.LWTG.MP.V88.P17,2016/12/05 11:29
  • Kernel version: 3.18.19+ user@linux-user #1 Tue May 17 10:40:28 CST 2016
  • Build number: CUBOT_6093C_MANITO_V11_20161205

I just realized that after this update my current ROM is "CUBOT_6093C_MANITO_V09_20161114_215728" and not the V11_20161205 like yours :confused:
Any idea why I didn't get the latest one although I downloaded the same link?

EDIT1: I forgot to mention that before this update I tried a couple days ago this method forum.cubot. net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1166 through my PC! (sorry for the spaces but forum security didn't let me post the link)

EDIT2: Finally I managed to update my ROM. The reason I couldn't do it before was because I had to clean the dalvik memory first. After that the update occured without problems.
Now I've got another question and if anyone knows I would happy to get an explanation. The dialer lacks the feature of direct video calls through the operator. I mean I want to video call someone without using my data plan and apps like Viber or Skype, etc. Why Cubot "forgot" to add this option? I believe it's something very important because front camera isn't for selfies only!

Last edited:

wurtelll

Aug 2, 2010
In February I got a notification on my phone that an update was available. "Great!" I thought. The upgrade rebooted during the "optimizing apps" phase after about every 20 apps, which I've never seen on any Android device before. After it finally completed, the version is shown as:
  • Android security patch level: 5 February 2017
  • Baseband version: MOLY.LR9.W1444.MD.LWTG.MP.V88.P27
  • Kernel version: 2.18.19+
  • Build number: CUBOT_6093C_MANITO_V14_20170214
which looked good.

HOWEVER!
After this update, I suddenly noticed popup ads appearing at the bottom of the screen, no matter what app was active, see the two screenshots. Also, about once a day some app I never asked for is installed automatically without any questions! The last couple of days it was UberEATS, before some so-called cleanup app that wanted to remove caches etc. I also get the setup opened on the Security page and a message "Please enable Unknown sources, thx"... the b*st*rds...

Any idea how to fix this? I first suspected a couple of apps I had installed after the upgrade, but those are gone now. Might a factory reset help, or could it really be that Cubot is doing this in the firmware?

Screenshot_20170307-102634-s.png
Screenshot_20170306-214459-s.png

beertodeath

Nov 11, 2013
Hello wurtelll. I did the same OTA upgrade and everything seems ok. No pop up ads or installing of unwanted apps without my permission. I would suggest you to hard reset. Also smth weird. Before this update, the OTA upgrade app was recognized as virus from the AVG antivirus, but now after the last update the OTA app is ok.

wurtelll

Aug 2, 2010
Hi beertodeath, good news that you don't have any problems, that's restored my faith in Cubot a bit. I only installed apps from the Google play store, so apparently that's not 100% safe... I've gone ahead and did a factory reset, and reinstalled my essential apps. Now I'll wait for a week to see if anything weird starts to reappear.

wurtelll

Aug 2, 2010
It's been about a week since I did the factory reset and I'm happy to say that I've not noticed any strange things going on, so apparently some app I had installed was the problem. Malwarebytes didn't see any problems though, and I only installed via the Googe Play Store, so that isn't a guarantee for safety, unfortunately...

beertodeath

Nov 11, 2013
That's strangely funny but now my phone has the same spam ads like wurtell's one. I didn't even download any new app and the last two days I get spam ads in my screen and in addition some times when I enter the PlayStore i get redirected to random apps like "Super File Manager (Explorer)". I also found on a Russian forum that many people have the same problem. It's pretty strange that almost all owners of Manito started having these spam ads at the same time. I started believing that Manito has built in malware scripts.

Anyway, I contacted with Cubot and they asked me the debugging and logs from MTKlogger and I already provided them with these. I don't want to factory reset my phone again because I already did many resets since December and I hate backing up from the beginning all my settings.
I hope they will find a solution soon and finally make a clean ROM, or even better Cubot will get Google certification (ho ho ho).

martin99999

Jan 16, 2011
cubot manito is my fourth chinaphone

cubot manito is my fourth chinaphone. Only one of them (Oukitel u8) was clean. The other: umi diamond and THL T9 pro contained spy software in official updates. The same problem with Cubot Manito now.

Reactions: beertodeath
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this is not my merit. i tried to share info with ppls who, like me, had a problem with infected firmware.

Спасибо Тамерлану за терпение в общении с техподдержкой.
    In February I got a notification on my phone that an update was available. "Great!" I thought. The upgrade rebooted during the "optimizing apps" phase after about every 20 apps, which I've never seen on any Android device before. After it finally completed, the version is shown as:
    • Android security patch level: 5 February 2017
    • Baseband version: MOLY.LR9.W1444.MD.LWTG.MP.V88.P27
    • Kernel version: 2.18.19+
    • Build number: CUBOT_6093C_MANITO_V14_20170214
    which looked good.

HOWEVER!
    After this update, I suddenly noticed popup ads appearing at the bottom of the screen, no matter what app was active, see the two screenshots. Also, about once a day some app I never asked for is installed automatically without any questions! The last couple of days it was UberEATS, before some so-called cleanup app that wanted to remove caches etc. I also get the setup opened on the Security page and a message "Please enable Unknown sources, thx"... the b*st*rds...

Any idea how to fix this? I first suspected a couple of apps I had installed after the upgrade, but those are gone now. Might a factory reset help, or could it really be that Cubot is doing this in the firmware?

Screenshot_20170307-102634-s.png
    Screenshot_20170306-214459-s.png
    Hello wurtelll. I did the same OTA upgrade and everything seems ok. No pop up ads or installing of unwanted apps without my permission. I would suggest you to hard reset. Also smth weird. Before this update, the OTA upgrade app was recognized as virus from the AVG antivirus, but now after the last update the OTA app is ok.
    Some friends from the russian forum on 4pda managed to make a good feedback to Cubot service. Cubot is about to release a new update (V20). Cubot already asked some members to make a test on the new firmware before it get globally published. If anyone wants to use the new update you can get it here https://yadi.sk/d/jl3EZP7H3HTZng and update it through OTA update and then search localy for the file. Also if you want you can search on needrom for a modded version of V20 firmware. I haven't tested Cleopatra's and I don't know how it's going.
    Since now the V20 firmware seems to go well and netguard doesn't show any suspicious traffic. I hope that's a critical update and no malware will appear again.

My regards to @deeplooker and all members on 4pda who try to make a pressure to Cubot to make a clean firmware.
    Here's the First Look (Comments are in Italian):

Reviews: