How to use Bitpim with the Kin 2(tutorial)

Search This thread

dezgrz

Dec 22, 2010
West Allis
you don't have to be so rude pal.
I got the phone and when i go to youtube.com to watch something it says i cant watch video on this phone. It doesn't have a youtube app or any apps for that case. I got it from Verizon if that makes any difference. But that sucks that Opera Mini won't work with the phone :((

Yes this is old news we know it has no Apps what do you think we're trying to do here? And you can ONLY get the phone from Verizon. Not being rude just do your research before you come on xda posting with silly simple things.

soninja8

Feb 17, 2011
Please, everyone, before you post, look through all other posts so you dont sound like an idiot and make this forum covered in crap! Thanks!

NeoS

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 27, 2008
Somewhere in NL
Lets move on guys. The point is made, search before posting. ;)

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA Premium App

nyi.nyi

Jan 5, 2011
I have a theory. Since Zune mp4 players like Zune HD and Kins use pretty much the same firmware, I'm just wondering if anybody can hack Kin2m using the way they hack Zune players. Just a thought :)

dezgrz

Dec 22, 2010
West Allis
I have a theory. Since Zune mp4 players like Zune HD and Kins use pretty much the same firmware, I'm just wondering if anybody can hack Kin2m using the way they hack Zune players. Just a thought :)

Yeah, we've talked about this before and it's a big interest and may be possible.
I believe we may want to visit here: http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/
I'm sure the hackers there could possibly assist.

kintwom

Mar 13, 2011
Zune HD has not been hacked.

Well the Zune HD has not been hacked. They simply found a problem with the XNA software and can trick the zune into running other programs that it thinks are XNA applications. Since the Kin cannot run XNA applications it just can't be replicated at the moment.

itachi101

Apr 22, 2011
Still doesn't work

Ok, in specific this is what i did.

1. Typed ##77647266488 and called/typed in 000000 into the box
2. Got to the Others menu
3. Changed USB Pass-Through on (everything else was off)
the USB Mode said it was Serial_Class I dont know if that matters
4. I went onto my computer (windows 7 64x) went to the Computer management, then device manager. right clicked the pink cdma diagnostics and browsed for the driver device (which i downloaded and extracted correctly) and tried to update.
"Windows could not find driver software for your device", it told me.

so what do i do now?

johnkussack

Aug 17, 2010

4. I went onto my computer (windows 7 64x) went to the Computer management, then device manager. right clicked the pink cdma diagnostics and browsed for the driver device (which i downloaded and extracted correctly) and tried to update.

so what do i do now?
Failure is in bold. kkthxbye.

Last edited:

fazi13

Apr 24, 2011
San Ramon

so what do i do now?

It is ONLY for 32-bit OSes. Once again, please READ EVERYTHING before you ask a question.

Antonpup

Feb 20, 2011
Not sure if this was talked about here.. But could 10.key file located in "/DMU" folder be the Authentication Key? I think it might be Unique to each phone. Could we look into this?

saguinter

Dec 30, 2010
consider me in on helping in anyway, after zune software sucessfully deleted my photos from my phone this morning with one wrong click! I am determined to help open up access to this internal memory for situations like mine where photos or data is lost from poor zune software support for syncing files from phone to pc. Very fustrated this Memorial Day that my family photos from the weekend are now missing from the phone. OS 32 bit laptop in the basement is going to be revived to a new life!

Last edited:

pnor

Jun 19, 2011
My kin two will not power on fully. The screen will go through its usual process of turning on and then it goes blank. i just finalized the shipment of a replacement but i would like to get my contacts off of this phone before i have to return it to verizon. is there anyway i can do this without having to do anything but plug my phone in to the computer? My computer reads that there is something plugged in, but the phone itself will not sync with zune. so i am hoping this will work!

johnkussack

Aug 17, 2010
My kin two will not power on fully. The screen will go through its usual process of turning on and then it goes blank. i just finalized the shipment of a replacement but i would like to get my contacts off of this phone before i have to return it to verizon. is there anyway i can do this without having to do anything but plug my phone in to the computer? My computer reads that there is something plugged in, but the phone itself will not sync with zune. so i am hoping this will work!
No. For several reasons.

1st one, you cannot change to serial mode without a working kin. Game over.

b7258565

Jul 9, 2011
I recently purchased a Kin TwoM and using BitPim with it sounds interesting. I am using factory box nb305 Toshiba netbook and it recognized the Kin as a "KIN". Windows 7 32bit failed to find the drivers as the instructions did say. I then tried using the drivers provided, but those are incompatible.

On another computer, the kin is also recognized as "KIN", I installed Zune and it worked there...

johnkussack

Aug 17, 2010
You forgot to change the usb to serial mode at the ##PROGRAMNITT menu

Otherwise you wouldnt see KIN as device name.

nuff said.

Reactions: b7258565

b7258565

Jul 9, 2011
Okay, I got it working now. Does only the Filesystem tab work while the rest of them are unusable? The "Get Data from Phone" is completely grayed out.

Also, is USB Pass-through mutually incompatible with the Zune software?

klamation

Apr 28, 2011
Nokia Lumia 820
Nokia Lumia 920
Okay, I got it working now. Does only the Filesystem tab work while the rest of them are unusable? The "Get Data from Phone" is completely grayed out.

Also, is USB Pass-through mutually incompatible with the Zune software?

Correct. Currently, only a very limited area of the Kin phone filesystem can be read, so there's no option to get useful data from the phone using bitpim.

The only USB mode the Zune software supports is the MTP mode. The others, from my testing, require a driver (which Zune does not have) and will not work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you for putting the tutorial together (and posting the pre-fixed drivers)! In case anyone else runs into the same hiccup I did - the drivers are for 32-bit OS, not 64-bit OS. Once I used the right system, the drivers and BitPim worked like a champ.

Thanks again!
    You forgot to change the usb to serial mode at the ##PROGRAMNITT menu

Otherwise you wouldnt see KIN as device name.

nuff said.