Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

devwithzachary

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
I have working on a project in the form of an app, which guides you through the installation of Ubuntu within android via chroot. It includes a ubuntu 10.10 image I have been working on which includes lots of program to allow users to develop program/scripts etc within Ubuntu on there phone/tablet.

However I have I have yet to get much testing on this device and would like more feedback from users!

Please post your device/kernel/rom along with what did and didn't work, so I can draw up what I need to change in the next release of the app/ubuntu build.
Website
http://zpwebsites.com/android-app/ubuntu-install-guide/devices/

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqzs8yQTM8

App Download

Boot Script
ubuntu.sh(V5)

Full Image
This image is 1.5GB to download, once extracted 3.5GB, and include alot of programs like openoffice, thunderbird, firefox and over programs for 'developing' - Also allows you to switch between the LXDE and Gnome desktops, and you can define screen size on boot!
ubuntuV5-image.zip

Lightweight Image - This is yet to be included in an app, will be included in the next release (aka 2.0 ;) ), so get it now before anyone else!
This image is just under 500MB to download, once extracted 2.5GB, and include only programs needed (LXDE desktop, web browser, + other basic programs) also allows you to define screen size on boot
ubuntuV5-sm-image.zip

I also want to build up a small group of testers who I can email with new images and scripts, these will include all future distros that I do. If you are interested in joining this test group please PM me or send a email to zac@zpwebsites.com
The only requirement is that your willing to test and send feedback along with screen shoots etc where required, it would also be good if your willing to try different roms and kernels for your device!

Sig Banner
Show your love of ubuntu on android with my sig banner:
ubuntuuser.png

image url is "http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11206993/ubuntuuser.png"

Other Guides
Like this guide? want to try something different? then check out my other guides for different distro's
Backtrack - This is a distro that is based around security testing, it also includes the Gnome desktop environment and a range of other programs.

Updates
29/01/12
*New V5 small image, featuring fixed Java, even more lightweight (now around 1.2GB free) and user can set screen size on boot
*PAID New Build guide which shows you how to build your own Ubuntu images
*Brand new UI To make the whole thing more useable
*PAID new 'one click boot' feature to allow quick booting from either the widget or inside the app
*PAID new widget to activate the one click boot
*PAID app install guide changed in light of 'one click boot'
*Fixed keyboard mapping of random letters in Gnome

18/01/12
*Large ubuntu image now allows user to set screen size on boot!
*Large Ubuntu image now lets you select between LXDE and Gnome desktops
*Large Ubuntu image has been recompiled to fix the likes of Java (note some of the above changes will be included in the small image in the future)
*FAQ section updated with more answers to questions I have been getting
*Install guide updated in light of the new large image

06/01/12
*PAID app file downloads now use new fast FTP server and support direct downloading (click the button to download a image and it starts to download right away)
*New boot script which has fixed problems with it not booting on alot of devices, and fixed problem which some people getting a grey screen when loading UI
*Boot script now downloaded in zip file to fix problems with downloading script
*Both apps fixed to support low resolutions
*Both apps cleaned up

28/12/11
*PAID app now supports 960x540 'qHD' resolution
*ALL Ubuntu lightweight images cleaned up even more saved another 300MB of space
*ALL Ubuntu images updated with all new updates
*ALL Ubuntu images now in .zip format to fix problems with some peoples devices failing to extract the .rar files
*Boot script updated, once booted now terminal acts like a command line interface for Ubuntu, and some boot problems now fixed
*Image and boot script now downloadable separately to allow easier updating

19/12/11
New 'lighter' ubuntu image options for all resolutions already supported

15/12/11
New ubuntu images with all updates up to 15/11/11
FREE app ubuntu image resized to fit 800x480 resolution
PAID app ubuntu images now includes 4 images for 800x480, 854x480, 1024x600 and 1280x800 resolutions

See how deep the rabbit-hole goes...
http://linuxonandroid.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: tinh_la_gi

rplc790222

Dec 10, 2010
San Francisco del Rincón, Gto
I want to be in

Hi zacthespack I was reading about your project, and I would like to help you, I am new to linux world, I was reading some about this OS, I am willingto learn about it, so I would like to try this, but I would like you to give me some advice and directions to learn and help you, I am very interested in learn about linux (and maybe in learn some other stuffs for android) I have some limited free time the hork and my family takes most of them, but I can use my free time to work on this...

Hope to be able to be in your project

P.S. By the way I would like to learn about backtracking, hope you can help me with this

Last edited:
Reactions: devwithzachary

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Ubuntu Installer Paid 2.0 Cooked and ready to be tasted

Well tasted by my beta testers anyway...but yes 2.0 for the Paid app is ready! so long as there are no more bugs the new update will be loaded to the market tomorrow.
Note that once the new update is on-line the sale will end, so if you have not already grap your paid copy for 20%!!

The change log for the new version is:
*New V5 small image, featuring fixed Java, even more lightweight (now around 1.2GB free) and user can set screen size on boot
*PAID new 'one click boot' feature to allow quick booting from either the widget or inside the app

The free version should then be updated by the end of next week and will include the new UI and the new V5 small image and Gnome mapping fix.

Backtrack will then be updated shortly after that to include pretty much everything in the change log above (apart from the small image, there is still no small image for backtrack)

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Hi zacthespack I was reading about your project, and I would like to help you, I am new to linux world, I was reading some about this OS, I am willingto learn about it, so I would like to try this, but I would like you to give me some advice and directions to learn and help you, I am very interested in learn about linux (and maybe in learn some other stuffs for android) I have some limited free time the hork and my family takes most of them, but I can use my free time to work on this...

P.S. By the way I would like to learn about backtracking, hope you can help me with this

I shall PM you :)

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
The wait is over, last minute bugs have been stamped out and the new update is live, should be coming to a device near you soon!
If you have bought the paid version check for updates!

sciurius

Nov 13, 2011
johan.vromans.org
Thanks for the good work!

I use it to run some wxPerl applications (standalone, e.g, no session, no window manager, just a fullscreen touchscreen application) on my Android Tablet.

I made some changes to the ubuntu.sh and init.sh scripts, to make them more flexible and robust. PM me if you're interested.

jackson0829

Dec 7, 2010
Taipei
Hello,Zacthespack:

Why I follow your recommend process to install ubuntuV5.img in my Archos 101
but still could not open your ubuntu from UrukDroid-1.6.1 and 1.6.2
which already create "ubuntu" boot file in /AlternativeOS directory ?

Please help to answer beneath questions to make ubuntu V5 working
with UrukDroid-1.6.1 and 1.6.2 :

(1)whether I have to install the "ubuntuV5.img" in external SD Card
or internal SD Card respect the UrukDroid-1.6.1's shell script?
( refer to : http://code.google.com/p/urukdroid/wiki/RM_AlternativeOS )
(2) Do I need to locate "ubuntuV5.img" in a "Ubuntu" folder ?

(3) Do I still need to changes the ubuntu.sh and init.sh scripts if
UrukDroid-1.6.1 already has "ubuntu"boot script ??

Thanks and I like to further test your ubuntu V5 after your answering!!
(Sorry, Because I am not familiar with Linux program so need more detail
guideline for ubuntu v5 installation)

Last edited:

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Hello,Zacthespack:

Why I follow your recommend process to install ubuntuV5.img in my Archos 101
but still could not open your ubuntu from UrukDroid-1.6.1 and 1.6.2
which already create "unbutu" boot file in /AlternativeOS directory ?

Please help to answer beneath questions to make ubuntu V5 working
with UrukDroid-1.6.1 and 1.6.2 :

(1)whether I have to install the "ubuntuV5.img" in external SD Card
or internal SD Card respect the UrukDroid-1.6.1's shell script?
( refer to : http://code.google.com/p/urukdroid/wiki/RM_AlternativeOS )
(2) Do I need to locate "ubuntuV5.img" in a "Ubuntu" folder ?

(3) Do I still need to changes the ubuntu.sh and init.sh scripts if
UrukDroid-1.6.1 already has "ubuntu"boot script ??

Thanks and I like to further test your ubuntu V5 after your answering!!

My method is different to what you have said, it is not running ubuntu natively but within android.
If you follow the install guide in the app it will tell you all you need to know.
but basiclly you need to create a folder on the internal memory called ubuntu (e.i sdcard/ubuntu) and place both my boot script and image in there.
Then if you have the paid app use the one click boot to boot ubuntu, or if using the free app enter the commands into the terminal app as described in the app.

The ubuntu boot script urukdroid has already is for booting ubuntu natively, so this can be completely forgotten about.

jackson0829

Dec 7, 2010
Taipei
My method is different to what you have said, it is not running ubuntu natively but within android.
If you follow the install guide in the app it will tell you all you need to know.
but basiclly you need to create a folder on the internal memory called ubuntu (e.i sdcard/ubuntu) and place both my boot script and image in there.
Then if you have the paid app use the one click boot to boot ubuntu, or if using the free app enter the commands into the terminal app as described in the app.

The ubuntu boot script urukdroid has already is for booting ubuntu natively, so this can be completely forgotten about.

Hello,Zacthespack:

Thanks for your detail illustration my questions!

I try to follow your "ubuntu installer guide" but still got" VNC connection failed " message due to incorrect key-in data to "androidVNC",can you help to show me how to key in beneath
data in "androidVNC":

Connection: ubuntu:lacalhost:5900
Nickname: ubuntu
password: ?????? (Does ubuntu.img have password ?)
Address: localhost (Do I need to change to 192.168.x.xx ?)
Port: 5900
Username: ???? (what kind username I have to key-in?)

Thanks and looking forward your answers

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Hello,Zacthespack:

Thanks for your detail illustration my questions!

I try to follow your "ubuntu installer guide" but still got" VNC connection failed " message due to incorrect key-in data to "androidVNC",can you help to show me how to key in beneath
data in "androidVNC":

Connection: ubuntu:lacalhost:5900
Nickname: ubuntu
password: ?????? (Does ubuntu.img have password ?)
Address: localhost (Do I need to change to 192.168.x.xx ?)
Port: 5900
Username: ???? (what kind username I have to key-in?)

Thanks and looking forward your answers

password: ubuntu
address: localhost
port: 5900

and you do not need a username

Valde_Edius

Nov 3, 2011
Hey, I purchased the premium app and followed the guide to create my own .img, but I removed the old one before extracting the init.sh script of yours, and was hoping you could post a link to it or send it to my email (which I can pm you or email you directly). I tried downloading the img again, 5x infact, but each time the archive was corrupted. Maybe there is something wrong with my connections or something, but that script is all I need anyway.

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Hey, I purchased the premium app and followed the guide to create my own .img, but I removed the old one before extracting the init.sh script of yours, and was hoping you could post a link to it or send it to my email (which I can pm you or email you directly). I tried downloading the img again, 5x infact, but each time the archive was corrupted. Maybe there is something wrong with my connections or something, but that script is all I need anyway.

sure just drop me a pm I shall give you the script :)

nowisek

May 18, 2012
Hi

I want to install ubuntu on media-player with android, i'm only intrested in full ubuntu version. But I'm noob and I have got troubles.

MT7002 (similar to ATV2918, MAQ R7, Dayfly GTV574, Unuiga GT U574R, Kimdecent K830, Dealextreme GV-2):

ARM Cortex A8, 1,2 GHz 512k L2 (rk2918)
Android 2.3
512MB DDR2 RAM
2 GB NAND Flash

Android destinaton is 4 GB SD card and this is problem. I have got rooted android 2.3.1 firmware, and I have changed destination of installation applications to SD card, but it still won't download ubuntu from site (to small memory), when I'm using your android application.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have working on a project in the form of an app, which guides you through the installation of Ubuntu within android via chroot. It includes a ubuntu 10.10 image I have been working on which includes lots of program to allow users to develop program/scripts etc within Ubuntu on there phone/tablet.

However I have I have yet to get much testing on this device and would like more feedback from users!

Please post your device/kernel/rom along with what did and didn't work, so I can draw up what I need to change in the next release of the app/ubuntu build.
    Website
    http://zpwebsites.com/android-app/ubuntu-install-guide/devices/

Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqzs8yQTM8

App Download

Boot Script
    ubuntu.sh(V5)

Full Image
    This image is 1.5GB to download, once extracted 3.5GB, and include alot of programs like openoffice, thunderbird, firefox and over programs for 'developing' - Also allows you to switch between the LXDE and Gnome desktops, and you can define screen size on boot!
    ubuntuV5-image.zip

Lightweight Image - This is yet to be included in an app, will be included in the next release (aka 2.0 ;) ), so get it now before anyone else!
    This image is just under 500MB to download, once extracted 2.5GB, and include only programs needed (LXDE desktop, web browser, + other basic programs) also allows you to define screen size on boot
    ubuntuV5-sm-image.zip

I also want to build up a small group of testers who I can email with new images and scripts, these will include all future distros that I do. If you are interested in joining this test group please PM me or send a email to zac@zpwebsites.com
    The only requirement is that your willing to test and send feedback along with screen shoots etc where required, it would also be good if your willing to try different roms and kernels for your device!

Sig Banner
    Show your love of ubuntu on android with my sig banner:
    ubuntuuser.png

image url is "http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11206993/ubuntuuser.png"

Other Guides
    Like this guide? want to try something different? then check out my other guides for different distro's
    Backtrack - This is a distro that is based around security testing, it also includes the Gnome desktop environment and a range of other programs.

Updates
    29/01/12

18/01/12
    *Large ubuntu image now allows user to set screen size on boot!
    *Large Ubuntu image now lets you select between LXDE and Gnome desktops
    *Large Ubuntu image has been recompiled to fix the likes of Java (note some of the above changes will be included in the small image in the future)
    *FAQ section updated with more answers to questions I have been getting
    *Install guide updated in light of the new large image

06/01/12
    *PAID app file downloads now use new fast FTP server and support direct downloading (click the button to download a image and it starts to download right away)
    *New boot script which has fixed problems with it not booting on alot of devices, and fixed problem which some people getting a grey screen when loading UI
    *Boot script now downloaded in zip file to fix problems with downloading script
    *Both apps fixed to support low resolutions
    *Both apps cleaned up

28/12/11
    *PAID app now supports 960x540 'qHD' resolution
    *ALL Ubuntu lightweight images cleaned up even more saved another 300MB of space
    *ALL Ubuntu images updated with all new updates
    *ALL Ubuntu images now in .zip format to fix problems with some peoples devices failing to extract the .rar files
    *Boot script updated, once booted now terminal acts like a command line interface for Ubuntu, and some boot problems now fixed
    *Image and boot script now downloadable separately to allow easier updating

19/12/11
    New 'lighter' ubuntu image options for all resolutions already supported

15/12/11
    New ubuntu images with all updates up to 15/11/11
    FREE app ubuntu image resized to fit 800x480 resolution
    PAID app ubuntu images now includes 4 images for 800x480, 854x480, 1024x600 and 1280x800 resolutions

See how deep the rabbit-hole goes...
    http://linuxonandroid.blogspot.com/
    I want to be in