FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] [UPDATED 9/27/2011]V1.9 Working App to Backup Windows Phone 7 via ZUNE ANY TIME

1,278 posts
Thanks Meter: 274

By hx4700 Killer, Senior Member on 29th May 2011, 10:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th May 2011, 07:57 PM |#21  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Northern California
Thanks Meter: 619

Donate to Me
More
Performing a COMPLETE backup now! Impressive. I'm on my THIRD Samsung Focus, and on all three, I've run the Updates, but NEVER has it EVER successfully saved a backup. Each time I try to look for a restore point, it says there is nothing. When I go to the Backup Directory, it only has a single xml file, but NO Backup.

THANK YOU so much! I only wish I had found this before my 7390 update so I could revert back to 7004 and unlock again.

Any chance this method could be used to restore a backup from someone else's phone so I can go back to 7004? I'm guessing each backup is completely device dependant, but it's a thought...

OK, I'm putting FULL faith in your work and going to do a Phone Restore now to clear Everything out, then I'm going to try your restore and see what I end up with. Will report back shortly... I'm hoping to see my photos, apps, Text Messages, etc...

DAMMIT! I screwed up! Your Software did a successful backup, but I neglected to copy that backup to a different location. ( at myself) When I plugged in my phone, Zune saw it as a new device, and promptly deleted my backup! ZUNE Backup/Restore SUCKS!!!!! Way worse than iTunes in that respect, and I really dislike iTunes, but at least it does a COMPLETE and safe backup of an iPhone. I've lost 100's of Text Messages I really would like to have kept...

I really prefer WP7 over iPhone, but I hope Microsoft brings Complete backup to Zune soon. That was a Major Fail on their part.

In the mean time, people like you will continue to fill in the gaps that Microsoft drops the ball on. Thank you for your work. I'm going to set up my phone, backup, and restore again and see what I get. I'm sure it will work, I just need to be more careful and backup my backup so Zune does not eat it for breakfast!

30th May 2011, 08:03 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hx4700 Killer

I have used the zune update - Restore function and everything was the same. I have several xbox live games and after the restore I was still at the same place in my games. Further my phone is chevron unlocked and remained so after the restore.

Further, I did the reg hacks to see the phone in explorer when zune is closed and put a couple of small vid files in the video folder. Those files did not show up in Zune on my PC or in my collections but the phone could play them just fine. After the restore they were still there too. So from what I can tell the une backup tool backs up the phones memory as it is no matter what is there. I have not tested non-standard folders that are user created though but would assume they would work all the same.

Further a couple of observations:

During development I found I could unplug the phone at any time during the backup process and it would be just fine. No harm.

In Zune when the phone is hooked up I could see the "memory graph" and it had slices in it and hovering over them with the mouse would yield what each slice was... e.g. Videos, Music, pictures etc... I had a large area that said it was reserved for data "from another computer" or some such verbiage. After the restore that was gone and I had a little more memory back for my own use. The slices seemed to be gone too but had no effect on what zune synched etc... Perhaps a full resynch might change it but I havent done that.

**Adding:
Having re-read your post I am now wondering if you are asking if your phone is the same as after the backup as it was prior to the backup? It should be unchanged. The backup process is the same that would occur if you were performing a legitimate carrier update. The process says it transfers the update to the phone but does not execute it until after the backup. My code terminates the updatewp.exe program before that happens so ultimately you might have the 310k file still on your phone in some "updates" folder somewhere.

Thanks for your reply! You answered all my questions, only i asked them in the wong way.. what I meant was, if I recovery with the backup files, do I get the same settings or do i get a hard resetted phone..
30th May 2011, 08:05 PM |#23  
OP Senior Member
Texas

More
Supersport,

Sorry you lost your backup. Im not sure what happened there to you though?!

My test was to run the code and backup my phone. Then I FORMATTED my phone and plugged it in to zune. Zune asked me to set up my device and I did so then I restored without issue.

I am unsure that format is different than reset because I have done both in the past and the phone is stock out of the box after that.

As for restoring from one phone to another I couldnt answer that. I only have one phone

I can say that a while back when I got a 16GB memory stick and put it in my phone I tried to restore a backup from when it was the stock 8gb and it failed. No real comprehensive message just a failure but when I took the 16GB stick out it worked so I ended up resetting up the phone with the stick in.

I have to agree too, on demand backup should have been stock with the phone and for sure restoreable to a replacement phone. Secondly, mango should have been the OS they released with it :/
30th May 2011, 08:24 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
error code: A certificate chain could not be built to a trusted root authority.

I have an hd2, thanks
30th May 2011, 08:33 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
do i have to install the package for HD2 too because i have a mozart? where i put the pks folders?
i install all of softwares but the tools still tell me that windows support tool not installed
30th May 2011, 08:36 PM |#26  
OP Senior Member
Texas

More
ma7ija ,

How ironic. That update is supposed to be for an HD2. Even if I found another update I couldnt test it for you because I don't have an HD2. It might be worth searching for a different update and using that. As I said in the first post the update is never applied so it shouldnt matter from where it comes. Perhaps next time there is an update you can copy it out of the DL folder.

I will look around and see what I can find out.
The Following User Says Thank You to hx4700 Killer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hx4700 Killer Ad-Free
30th May 2011, 08:37 PM |#27  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Northern California
Thanks Meter: 619

Donate to Me
More
No problem with your tool, it appears to work Great! It has to do with Zune not doing the restore correctly.

I did a Format, Set the Phone back up, and did a backup again (Successful), but when I try to restore, it fails again with error code C101002E. I've got the backup in the correct directory, but Zune cannot see it or use it, one or the other. It's really strange... The backup is there, and it's from THIS phone.
30th May 2011, 08:40 PM |#28  
OP Senior Member
Texas

More
hd2leo_fusion,

What OS are you running? I tested this with Win7 x64. I don't have anything with a 32 bit OS anymore

The program looks for the updatewp.exe program in the c:\program files\zune folder. This is where it installed it for me. Look for that file and let me know where it is so I can modify the code to look there.

As far as the PKS file goes you can put it anywhere and point the app to it via the browse button. I put it in the c:\progam files\zune folder myself. I own a samsung focus and use this HD2 update file. The update isnt actually applied. Its purpose is to give the updatewp.exe program a legitimate update file to look at so that it will perform the backup. The program terminates updatewp.exe before it actually applies the patch.
30th May 2011, 08:41 PM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hx4700 Killer

ma7ija ,

How ironic. That update is supposed to be for an HD2. Even if I found another update I couldnt test it for you because I don't have an HD2. It might be worth searching for a different update and using that. As I said in the first post the update is never applied so it shouldnt matter from where it comes. Perhaps next time there is an update you can copy it out of the DL folder.

I will look around and see what I can find out.

so i can't backup my phone with this tools (except HD2 owners) is that?
30th May 2011, 08:43 PM |#30  
OP Senior Member
Texas

More
hd2leo_fusion,

It appears to the exact opposite. An HD2 owner can't use the tool with this HD2 patch but other phones can?!
30th May 2011, 08:47 PM |#31  
OP Senior Member
Texas

More
Supersport,

I'm curious.. is your phone perhaps unbranded or some such thing that is keeping zune from working right?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)