will it work on verizon?

Search This thread

0okami

Oct 12, 2005
USA
The reason I ask is because I went to both verizon and sprint and i asked:

--at verizon--
Me: If I buy an Evo from sprint, full price and bring it here to run on your network will it work? being that both of you run CDMA I dont see it being a problem? am I wrong?
Verizon: No, it will not work. You should get our "incredible."

--at sprint--
Me: If I buy an "incredible" from Verizon, full price and bring it here to run on your network will it work? being that both of you run CDMA I dont see it being a problem? am I wrong?
Sprint: No, it will not work.

So I asked them both why not...?

Verizon: different hardware. And settings.
Sprint: Legality.

(they also said they have not had their training yet at that location for the evo... and they are only a few weeks away of a release. )

Can someone explain whats going on here? They made me doubt my understanding as to how cdma worked. It is to my understanding it should work on both networks. Question is, getting verizon to accept me as a customer with the evo. Someone correct me if im wrong.

Im set on the Evo, but I dont want Sprint. I want verizon. Not planning on getting the "incredible." For that I stick with the iphone 4g and att.

0okami

Oct 12, 2005
USA
There are ways to do it, but they are quite illegal (as in rape you in the ass prison felony). Look it up online, but don't expect to find that info here.

Any chance for a little more clarification? A keyword at least to find my answer. I just want to know actually why they would reject a potential customer. I'm a little tired of smoke and mirrors.

I wouldn't want to do anything illegal like cloning. I just want facts. No big deal.

adeyo

Mar 31, 2008
Lynchburg, VA
tried it twice...no go

only way would be to hack the phone and change a whole lotta stuff...then change the esn to another verizon phone you own (which is illegal, i believe). then it is possible. however, i have two phones (one alltel, one sprint) and have requested verizon to add my esn's to their database (after i changed the 'whole lotta stuff' myself) ...eventhough the phones work on verizon, i could never get them to add them to their database enabling me to legally use the phone on their network. i griped and griped, they 'caved' in on more than one occasion, and said it would be done, but never did it. 15-20 total calls? and still nothing. i can't wait to tell them i am leaving...and for that reason :) i am not on contract. they tried to tell me numerous times it "wouldn't work, different hardware" but i have even tested it and made calls successfully, so it all seems to be a game. the one department that was designed to allow this, apparently closed. bottom line, don't waste your time. by the time someone posts instructions on how to do it, their will be 2-3 verizon phones more powerful -it is still a long way off.

0okami

Oct 12, 2005
USA
only way would be to hack the phone and change a whole lotta stuff...then change the esn to another verizon phone you own (which is illegal, i believe). then it is possible. however, i have two phones (one alltel, one sprint) and have requested verizon to add my esn's to their database (after i changed the 'whole lotta stuff' myself) ...eventhough the phones work on verizon, i could never get them to add them to their database enabling me to legally use the phone on their network. i griped and griped, they 'caved' in on more than one occasion, and said it would be done, but never did it. 15-20 total calls? and still nothing. i can't wait to tell them i am leaving...and for that reason :) i am not on contract. they tried to tell me numerous times it "wouldn't work, different hardware" but i have even tested it and made calls successfully, so it all seems to be a game. the one department that was designed to allow this, apparently closed. bottom line, don't waste your time. by the time someone posts instructions on how to do it, their will be 2-3 verizon phones more powerful -it is still a long way off.

Thank you! thats the answer I was looking for. Much grateful!

What about the users that pay full price? Why would they do that if they cant take it elsewhere? Does it mean Even if they pay full price, the ESN belongs to sprint? It sounds wrong to do that. Im not complaining. Im just trying to make sense of this.

tricknasty

Jul 16, 2009
Los Angeles
theres a form you can fill out to take a cdma phone from another carrier and activate it on verizon, you need to ship your phone to vzw HQ though, and they say it can take 3 weeks to determine if they will allow it on the network or not.
its an official verizon form just gotta find it.

0okami

Oct 12, 2005
USA
theres a form you can fill out to take a cdma phone from another carrier and activate it on verizon, you need to ship your phone to vzw HQ though, and they say it can take 3 weeks to determine if they will allow it on the network or not.
its an official verizon form just gotta find it.

I'll check with the verizon rep. She was really friendly and what ever she didnt know she dug for papers. :) Maybe we can work something out.

I'll keep everyone posted if something results.

Thanks for the information!

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
will not work on verizon, they have a policy of not taking sprint branded phones, the esn's are registered to sprint and they know it's an evo.

sprint doesn't take anything other than what they've registered... it's a sticky thicket I know.

esn cloneing would work, but we don't talk about that kinda stuff here apparently, gotten scolded on more than one occasion for doing so =P