[RECOVERY] TWRP 2.6.3.0 touch recovery [2013-09-16]

Search This thread

pimpmaneaton

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Unless I am missing it, there is no toggle for data/media

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

In the mount menu you can toggle between internal and external storage. This will change where you backup is stored and also where you can install zips from when in install menu. There is no option yet to toggle and format /data/media.

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2

ziggy34

Sep 2, 2010
SE Michigan
In the mount menu you can toggle between internal and external storage. This will change where you backup is stored and also where you can install zips from when in install menu. There is no option yet to toggle and format /data/media.

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, no problem with switching between internal and external. But I have had to wipe data/media before do to corrupt data. So that would be a nice option.

Euclid's Brother

May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.interphaze.com
Why does goo manager have to install it via flashable zip? Why doesn't it just DD directly to mmcblk0p1?

When I tried to install it via goomanager, I got the dying robot screen. I had thor 1.7 installed.

You can also install this via Acer Recovery Installer by renaming the image file to recovery.img and putting it in the root of your external sdcard.

@pimpmaneaton, can you give use some info on Open Recovery Script? Perhaps I can use that to add TWRP support to my app.

Last edited:

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
Why does goo manager have to install it via flashable zip? Why doesn't it just DD directly to mmcblk0p1?

When I tried to install it via goomanager, I got the dying robot screen. I had thor 1.7 installed.

You can also install this via Acer Recovery Installer by renaming the image file to recovery.img and putting it in the root of your external sdcard.

@pimpmaneaton, can you give use some info on Open Recovery Script? Perhaps I can use that to add TWRP support to my app.

TWRP and the GooManager app aren't just for the A500. We have to look at our project from a much wider angle. Installing directly using dd requires extra code in the app to detect the device and know which partition to dd to. We're trying to avoid putting any device specific code in the app or in TWRP for that matter. Putting the device specific stuff into the zip is better for the app and the recovery.

We chose not to use extended commands because using them would have been a copyright violation up until Tuesday, 4/10/2012. Anyone using them before that time was technically in violation. You can see the change that removed the copyright here:
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_bootable_recovery/commit/08bedb21d87dede99f1e89a4869609389bb7cee7
We might add extended commands support in the future, but that's up in the air. I've got lots of other features that need my attention and OpenRecoveryScript works well and supports some features that are found in TWRP but not in CWM.

You can find information on how your app can use OpenRecoveryScript here:
http://www.teamw.in/OpenRecoveryScript

However, I think you'll find that GooManager is a compelling option. It's free and works with many devices. The goo.im website offers free hosting to ROM makers and it is easy to upload new ROMs. With a few easy changes, users will get notifications when ROM makers update their ROMs and the user can use that notification to easily install the update automatically using the goo app much like an OTA update from a device manufacturer.

Euclid's Brother

May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.interphaze.com
TWRP and the GooManager app aren't just for the A500. We have to look at our project from a much wider angle. Installing directly using dd requires extra code in the app to detect the device and know which partition to dd to. We're trying to avoid putting any device specific code in the app or in TWRP for that matter. Putting the device specific stuff into the zip is better for the app and the recovery.

yeah, I see your point. Make sense.

However, I think you'll find that GooManager is a compelling option. It's free and works with many devices. The goo.im website offers free hosting to ROM makers and it is easy to upload new ROMs. With a few easy changes, users will get notifications when ROM makers update their ROMs and the user can use that notification to easily install the update automatically using the goo app much like an OTA update from a device manufacturer.

Sounds like I'll be kept busy keeping my app relevent. I'm definately going to look at OpenRecoveryScript. Thanks!

PS. I Love the twrp recovery. Execellent contribution to our community. Thank you. Looking forward to some more themes for it.

Bloodflame

Jul 9, 2010
Brantford, ON
www.bloodflame.ca
First off, I want to say thanks to Teamwin for this awesome recovery. I love it! Very intuitive, and the ability for theming is fantastic. Can't wait to see where this will go in the future.

But being new, some issues are to be expected. I brought up one such issue in the CM9 thread (link). Also, it would be nice to have the option to wipe flexrom and boot partitions as well.

Keep up the great work! :D

pimpmaneaton

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Yes. Press the mount button. The last row of check boxes are to pick internal storage or external SD card

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

Sorry yes that will allow you to access via install menu. I guess I assumed that you were trying to access external from your PC.

Sent from my Sensation using Tapatalk 2

hatefuel19

Sep 23, 2010
Lex
Can't get this to run.....patched v2 bootloader and opencm9 rom........ like euclud said when I went with goo manager flash from Thor 1.7 I got a dead Droid :(.......poor fella......tried flashing from recovery installer but it simply won't boot........haven't tried fast boot flash and I'm hoping it will work

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London
Can't get this to run.....patched v2 bootloader and opencm9 rom........ like euclud said when I went with goo manager flash from Thor 1.7 I got a dead Droid :(.......poor fella......tried flashing from recovery installer but it simply won't boot........haven't tried fast boot flash and I'm hoping it will work

I have the ICS Leak bootloader (I'm currently running flexreaper but I was on the leak) and when I flashed it I just got a dead boot when trying to enter recovery. Just frozen on "Booting recovery kernel image"

EDIT: Just tried again with the flashable zip and same thing. I do however get a driver popup on the PC about an MTP USB Device so I think something is trying to load :p

Last edited:

hatefuel19

Sep 23, 2010
Lex
I have the ICS Leak bootloader (I'm currently running flexreaper but I was on the leak) and when I flashed it I just got a dead boot when trying to enter recovery. Just frozen on "Booting recovery kernel image"

EDIT: Just tried again with the flashable zip and same thing. I do however get a driver popup on the PC about an MTP USB Device so I think something is trying to load :p

If anyone has got this working with ics bootloader patched v2 please post how. This is the epic recovery XD.......tried fastboot flash and still just hangs at booting kernel image. Gonna go with RA til this gets sorted out :)......nice work on an amazing recovery. I got to use it b4 updating my bootloader and loved it.

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
Not sure if this is a bug, but I performed a backup before wiping and flashing the latest build of flexreaper, but it would say Unable to Mount /Data. Still went on with the backup, wipe, and then fresh install of the ROM, however, I went into Restore to restore just Data. It still would say Unable to Mount Data, and then hung once the progress bar was at 100%. I let it sit for about an hour, then forced it to reboot. Upon loading up, it was evident Data was not restored. I went back into TWRP, Unmounted Data from the mount menu and did the restore again. It went through in about 2 minutes and all was good.

Sooo, question is, should I unmount everything in the mount menu before doing the various "basic" stuff like backup, wiping, flashing ROMs, and restoring?

If it matters, I am on 2.1 and running HC bootloader.

ogdertay

Jul 11, 2011
Ft. Lauderdale
I'm having a re-tard moment.... how do I download this from the goo application and I'm on a rooted A500 with icylicious 4.0.3 with HC bootloader

Sent from my A500 using xda premium

Last edited:

CyaN1de

Dec 19, 2008
BC
I'm having a re-tard moment.... how do I download this from the goo application and I'm on a rooted A500 with icylicious 4.0.3 with HC bootloader

Android App Install Method (Preferred):

Download the GooManager app from either location

Install the app and open it. Tap menu then hit Install OpenRecoveryScript. Tap Yes. Verify that the filename displays your device's code name and hit Yes. The file will download and your device will reboot and install the recovery automatically.

CyaN1de

Dec 19, 2008
BC
So I just tried installing this recovery via the instructions above and ended up with a dead droid, chest open with a red warning triangle over it. Thinking this cannot be good.

Installed over Thor 1.7

Using Icylicious rom as well if that matters.

Will see if I can find answer on here somewhere.

Last edited:

Zatta

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
Dec 22, 2010
Sneek
So I just tried installing this recovery via the instructions above and ended up with a dead droid, chest open with a red warning triangle over it. Thinking this cannot be good.

Installed over Thor 1.7

You could check post 11 from this thread, I couldn't figure it out also so i made it flashable.

Taptalked u see

CyaN1de

Dec 19, 2008
BC
I just flashed it with your zip and was coming back to say thanks......so.......THANKS!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 2.x, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Phone look:

Tablet look:

CHANGELOG for 2.6.3.0:
    -Proper backup and restore of SELinux contexts (thanks to Tassadar)
    -Pull in some ROM information for backup name generation
    -Merge all recent patches from AOSP bringing TWRP up to date with Android 4.3
    -Add 1200x1920 theme (thanks to Tassadar)
    -A few other fixes and tweaks

CHANGELOG for 2.6.1.0:
    -Initial SELinux support (only a few devices, need testers so come by IRC if your device doesn't have it and needs it)
    -Initial support for f2fs file system formatting (Moto X)
    -Update SuperSU install for 4.3 ROMs
    -Fixed a permissions bug on files created during backup
    -Fixed a bug that caused TWRP to not wait for compressed backups to finish causing 0 byte files and md5sums to not match
    -Fixed decryption of encrypted data so that both TouchWiz and AOSP decryption are possible
    -Ignore lost+found folder during backup and size calculations
    -Various other minor bug fixes and tweaks

CHANGELOG for 2.6.0.0:
    Special Note: If you are running a custom theme, you will likely need to remove that theme before updating to 2.6.0.0 as your custom theme will likely not have some of the new changes visible (e.g. you won't be able to encrypt a backup)!
    -Can encrypt a backup to prevent theft of private data from your backup files
    -Updated graphics / icon courtesy of shift
    -Updated exFAT to latest commits
    -Fixed a problem with Samsung TouchWiz decryption
    -Update SuperSU binary
    -Fixed saving of backup partitions list
    -Fixed saving of last used zip install folder
    -Fixed backup of datadata on devices that use a separate partition for datadata
    -Fixed some issues with the advanced wipe list (android_secure, can now wipe internal storage on data/media deivces and wipe data on the advanced list no longer formats the entire data partition)
    -Fixed some problems with partitioning a SD card
    -Various other bug fixes and tweaks

Notes about encrypted backups:
    Why encrypt your backups? -- Most people store their backups on the device. Any app that has permission to access storage could potentially read your backup files and try to harvest your data. Encrypted backups also provide an added layer of security if you move your backups to other storage devices or to the cloud. The encryption that we're using is probably not strong enough for enterprise level security, but should be strong enough to make it significantly difficult to get to your data.

Encryption is using OpenAES which uses AES 128-bit cbc encryption. If you happen to use a longer password (over 16 characters) then the encryption strength improves to 192 or 256 bits. Do not forget your password. If you forget your password you will be unable to restore your backup. We don't encrypt the entire backup. Encryption is very CPU intensive and can be fairly slow even when we spread the workload over multiple cores even on the latest high-end devices. To ensure that encrypted backups don't take forever, we don't encrypt any other partitions besides /data and in /data we don't encrypt /data/app (or other app related directories where apks are stored) and we don't encrypt dalvik cache.

DOWNLOAD:
    The fastest and easiest way to install TWRP is to use the GooManager app:
    Play Store Link
    Direct Download
    1) Install GooManager from the Play Store
    2) Open GooManager and provide root permissions
    3) Hit Menu (or the button with the 3 dots on your screen) and then Install OpenRecovery
    OR:
    You can find more information and download links on our website!

BUGS:
    If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to PM me directly, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
    Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.
    Can someone please post the flashable zip file for this? I can't install from GooManager, it always abort installation.

Does this recovery support flash from USB?

This flashable zip has been tested on cwm-based recovery's 1.3.something and 1.7 by the man who's name may not be named.
    I see no reason why it won't work on any ROM as recovery is independant of it.

Edit: Ofc only tested on my iconia a500. Just saying.
    Thanks for the 2.4.0.0 :)

GooManage somehow does not updte my recovery. For those who also have this problem, i have included as attachment, a flashable one.

You can flash this with CWM or TWRP 2.3.3.0 or most other common recoveries avliable.

View attachment TWRP-2.4.0.0-Flashable.zip

Installed over Thor 1.7

You could check post 11 from this thread, I couldn't figure it out also so i made it flashable.

Taptalked u see