Collective claim to Sony // overheating issues

Search This thread

Anton Sh.

Jun 9, 2014
The answer I got from Sony was to do a software repair. Haven't had time to do that yet but will this weekend. They said also that if that did not work that I could take a copy of the mail I got from them and the phone into a Sony service center and have them check the phone out for possible fault.

I am encouraged by the folks talking about undervolting. Makes me think that this could be solved with some firmware adjustments.

Tried to do it. Not helping. Had the same suggestion from Sony guys.

platosearwax

Jan 4, 2013
Bergen
Tried to do it. Not helping. Had the same suggestion from Sony guys.

Premature post maybe because I have not had the chance to test taking pictures in the sun, but I have run the software repair and one thing I can say is that the temperatures I am seeing now in the same situations as before are definitely lower than they were. Just picked up my phone which was sitting idle for the last half hour in a 20 degree room and the temperature of the CPU was 29C and the battery was 20C. A week ago those readings were 37C and 34 respectively. So there is improvement. Will test the camera outdoors tomorrow.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My two penny's worth, I have been sat out in the sunshine trying to take pictures, ok it is warm, but this is England, we're talking 23degrees, but my camera won't take more than a couple of pics without shutting down.
    Loving the phone otherwise, but the camera has always been a major factor in my choice of phone.
    @HeartUnderBlade, actually we encourage overheat for all of functions of camera. When we take some pictures, video camera with full hd and high temporary of weather. After that overheat and shut down camera. Maybe some guys live in country that the weather is cool. I think they won't encourage this issue. My opinion, sony should behave properly if not numerous guys will be leave them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    While I understand your frustration, I think encountering the overheating message should be considered a good thing if you value the longevity of your device. Imagine if you never encountered the overheating message, your phone could be damaged in the long run by user-error and you'll never be able to fix it. However, I think a very small percentage of people actually experience overheating in anything other than 4k and I would try to replace your device if that's the case. Do keep in mind that I noticed you're from Viet Nam which is a country that can get very hot and humid so that could play a HUGE role in the overheating of your phone.

Total agreement for 4k issue. However, if we take some picture and encourage overheat message. I think that is big deal. I am used some phone before s4, iphone 5, s3 ... But i haven't seen yet. What do you think if you take the z2 and come in beach with your friends and take around 10 pictures and shut down camera. Because overheat. My friends reported numerous time same cases.

Just a few words from Sony customers service...
    I asked two questions and they answered (via email) in one and a half hour.

That's very good and it shows we can actually talk to them, will they accept our requests and recommendations - that's something else ;)

OK...
    The question was referring to 4K heating/overheating issues...

4K video recording is an advanced technology which makes high demands on any processor if used for extended periods. Xperia Z2 is designed to shut down the camera automatically when the chipset reaches a certain operating temperature. Although we do not restrict the length of 4k recording time available to users, we make a clear recommendation that users shoot in bursts of a few minutes at a time to minimize the risk of shut down.

With SteadyShot enabled, users can experience the very best 4K recording, but having this feature enabled does place more demand on the processor. For a longer recording time, customers should switch off SteadyShot and still enjoy high quality 4k video recording.

So...steady shoot could actually be the main problem or solution - whichever you like better ;)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    @HeartUnderBlade, actually we encourage overheat for all of functions of camera. When we take some pictures, video camera with full hd and high temporary of weather. After that overheat and shut down camera. Maybe some guys live in country that the weather is cool. I think they won't encourage this issue. My opinion, sony should behave properly if not numerous guys will be leave them.

While I understand your frustration, I think encountering the overheating message should be considered a good thing if you value the longevity of your device. Imagine if you never encountered the overheating message, your phone could be damaged in the long run by user-error and you'll never be able to fix it. However, I think a very small percentage of people actually experience overheating in anything other than 4k and I would try to replace your device if that's the case. Do keep in mind that I noticed you're from Viet Nam which is a country that can get very hot and humid so that could play a HUGE role in the overheating of your phone.