FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Did you find this thread useful?

Yes, it was very helpful to me.

1,598 Vote(s)
63.95%
No, I didn't feel it helped me.

415 Vote(s)
16.61%
I don't know.

486 Vote(s)
19.45%

[HELP THREAD] Ask ANY Question. Noob Friendly.

4,429 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,930

Post Reply Email Thread
10th May 2017, 07:54 PM |#38471  
Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 295

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnels

I am going to add some more puzzling information. I have been playing around with more backup apps. When I actually look at the backup files, the sent messages are not in the backups. But if I delete all the messages in the stock app and say Chomp, then restore from the a backup, the sent messages do appear in the stock app. It's like the sent messages are invisible to any app other than the stock app. I'm lost.

I don't know what to tell you. I have a S6 (Tmobile variant). I use Signal as my text app (and SMS backup and restore when/if I need to re-flash ROM) and have never had any problems restoring my messages.

10th May 2017, 08:33 PM |#38472  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhiatt

I don't know what to tell you. I have a S6 (Tmobile variant). I use Signal as my text app (and SMS backup and restore when/if I need to re-flash ROM) and have never had any problems restoring my messages.

Yeah, I don't know. I contacted Samsung, which was a waste of time. I did some more experimenting and it looks like I do have some sent messages. Apparently, if they are older than December 2016, they backup and show up in third party apps. But anything from January to current, is only accessible/visible in the stock app. I assume there was a software update in December of 2016 that broke this for me. SMS backup and restore doesn't even grab the messages from January to current.
10th May 2017, 09:48 PM |#38473  

More
Quote:

What variant of the Galaxy S6? (Who's your provider?)

SM 920F
I'm not sure what you're asking :P
10th May 2017, 10:00 PM |#38474  
Minneapolis

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by UziDerulo77

SM 920F
I'm not sure what you're asking :P

If you are still having problems and getting a message that there is no OS installed then you will need to use Odin to flash the original firmware for your specific variant.

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s6/SM-G920F/

Once you are back up and running on the original firmware you can then go through the root and installing TWRP process. After you complete that you can then try installing a custom rom but be sure it is compatible with your specific variant of the Galaxy S6.
The Following User Says Thank You to cwhiatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cwhiatt Ad-Free
10th May 2017, 10:16 PM |#38475  

More
Quote:

If you are still having problems and getting a message that there is no OS installed then you will need to use Odin to flash the original firmware for your specific variant.

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s6/SM-G920F/

Once you are back up and running on the original firmware you can then go through the root and installing TWRP process. After you complete that you can then try installing a custom rom but be sure it is compatible with your specific variant of the Galaxy S6.

Thankyou so much for the link. One last question though ? My phone is already rooted like 7 months ago. Does that make a difference ??? Also, like I mentioned earlier, I tried flashing a ROM using ODIN but that gave errors and didnt work for me so my last option is TWRP. I ll try it out when I get home and let you know if it worked. Thanks a lot bro !
10th May 2017, 10:21 PM |#38476  
Minneapolis

More
Quote:

Thankyou so much for the link. One last question though ? My phone is already rooted like 7 months ago. Does that make a difference ??? Also, like I mentioned earlier, I tried flashing a ROM using ODIN but that gave errors and didnt work for me so my last option is TWRP. I ll try it out when I get home and let you know if it worked. Thanks a lot bro !

If you have TWRP installed then TWRP is what you would use to flash a custom rom (usually a zip file) that ought to be saved to your device. If you have the custom rom saved to your phone then you could try to boot into TWRP and install the zip file and see if it boots up.

If you do not have the custom rom zip file saved to your phone then you can try to get it moved over to your phone so that you may then flash it using TWRP.

If you cannot get the custom rom copied over to your phone then you will need to probably start over from scratch with the instructions I previously mentioned. That would include having to re-root and re-install TWRP after you flash the original firmware via Odin.
10th May 2017, 10:30 PM |#38477  

More
Quote:

If you have TWRP installed then TWRP is what you would use to flash a custom rom (usually a zip file) that ought to be saved to your device. If you have the custom rom saved to your phone then you could try to boot into TWRP and install the zip file and see if it boots up.

If you do not have the custom rom zip file saved to your phone then you can try to get it moved over to your phone so that you may then flash it using TWRP.

If you cannot get the custom rom copied over to your phone then you will need to probably start over from scratch with the instructions I previously mentioned. That would include having to re-root and re-install TWRP after you flash the original firmware via Odin.

Yeah I finally get the whole story now, I have TWRP Installed and I can move Stuff to the internal storage of the phone. Only problem is when I try to flash a ROM, it says "Error : could not find META-INF/blahblahblah......./update-binary in the ZIP file" which is beacuse the ZIP files I tried flashing had .md5 files in them and no such thing as the META-INF folder. I just needed a link for the ZIP file having a META-INF folder with the update-binary file instead of a ROM with .md5 file
11th May 2017, 02:26 PM |#38478  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobos531

Hmm, I cannot find TWRP/CWM or any custom ROMs for your device. However, you can always try to port TWRP to your device.

ok is there a good easy tutorial video maybe?
11th May 2017, 02:32 PM |#38479  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 709

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis2497

ok is there a good easy tutorial video maybe?

Try this one
11th May 2017, 02:52 PM |#38480  
Quote:

Yeah I finally get the whole story now, I have TWRP Installed and I can move Stuff to the internal storage of the phone. Only problem is when I try to flash a ROM, it says "Error : could not find META-INF/blahblahblah......./update-binary in the ZIP file" which is beacuse the ZIP files I tried flashing had .md5 files in them and no such thing as the META-INF folder. I just needed a link for the ZIP file having a META-INF folder with the update-binary file instead of a ROM with .md5 file

No, you still aren't getting it. When you go to find your ROMs and download them, usually there will be the ROM.zip and another md5 file, the ROM.zip is what you want, the md5 file is a separate file that is used to check the ROM.zip that you downloaded to verify that the ROM.zip is complete and not a corrupted download. The way it's supposed to work is you download the ROM.zip AND download the md5 file, store them both in the same location, then when you boot to TWRP and flash the ROM.zip it also references the MD5 file and compares it to the ROM.zip, if they don't match it won't flash the ROM.zip. The purpose of all this is basically a safety feature to make sure you aren't flashing a corrupted download, flashing incomplete files can brick your device, this prevents that.

You were trying to flash the md5 file and not the ROM.zip. Technically you don't even need the md5, you can just download the ROM.zip and flash it without the md5. I've never used the md5 files, I always just download my ROM and go.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
11th May 2017, 03:01 PM |#38481  
Minneapolis

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

No, you still aren't getting it. When you go to find your ROMs and download them, usually there will be the ROM.zip and another md5 file, the ROM.zip is what you want, the md5 file is a separate file that is used to check the ROM.zip that you downloaded to verify that the ROM.zip is complete and not a corrupted download. The way it's supposed to work is you download the ROM.zip AND doenload the md5 file, store them both I'm the same location, then when you boot to TWRP and flash the ROM.zip it also references the MD5 file and compares it to the ROM.zip, if they don't match it won't flash the ROM.zip. The purpose of all this is basically a safety feature to make sure you aren't flashing a corrupted download, flashing incomplete files can brick your device, this prevents that.

You were trying to flash the md5 file and it the ROM.zip. Technically you don't even need the md5, you can just download the ROM.zip and flash it without the md5. I've never used the md5 files, I always just download my ROM and go.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

You're so much better with words than I.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, beginner, confused, guidance, help needed, help thread, lost, newbie, noob, questions and answers

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)