How to root 1.4.1 (or any other version) using just an sdcard {easy}

2,346 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,055

By Indirect, Senior Member on 27th January 2012, 02:09 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th January 2012, 06:48 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Also if it matters (not sure how many version of CWM may be out there) I have v5.5.0.4 of CWM on the sdcard.

27th January 2012, 06:48 PM |#12  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida

Donate to Me
More
It didn't matter. It was a bad update-binary in the file. I fixed it, just redownload.
The Following User Says Thank You to Indirect For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Indirect Ad-Free
27th January 2012, 07:10 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 120

More
New file worked fine. Thanks.
27th January 2012, 09:26 PM |#14  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida

Donate to Me
More
Description:
This is a image, and flasher for windows designed to make it so that anyone can flash make a magic SD card to load up CWM, and root their device. THIS IS A UNIVERSAL ROOT, AND CAN BE DONE ON ANY FIRMWARE.

Why:
There are way to many rooting methods out there for this device, and with so many rooting methods, it is very hard to help trouble shoot a device, and make it so that rooting is available to everyone. Also with the 1.4.1 breaking normal root, it is very hard to teach people how to flash back to the previous 1.4.0, without stepping them through it, and then they have to beat the gun, and root and block OTA's. Also there is a lot of "geometry" involved in making a bootable SD.

What is it?:
There are two things in this package, the first is a flasher, and an image. These can be used to flash an SD card from windows with CWM, as a bootable SD. The second package is a CWM flashable zip that will add su, superuser, gapps, and the side loading package to your Nook.

What do I need?:
You will need:
  • SD Card >2GB (all information will be lost, so back it up)
  • Windows
  • Nook Tablet (any Firmware)

Credits:
Loglud
Indirect
Nemith
Bauwks
Instructions:
  1. Download the packages listed in the download folder, and extract them to your desktop.
  2. extract ALL the files from the single zip.
    NOTE: Do not extract the .zip with superuser and su.
  3. Open the image flasher .exe, and browse for the .img that you extracted from the same zip
  4. Put your SD Card into your nook or reader, and select the drive letter from the drop down on the right.
  5. Press write, and wait
  6. Once it has completed open the SD Card from the Windows browser and place the .zip in the root of the SD card.
  7. Turn your Nook off.
  8. Turn your Nook on while holding both the N+Power button. Your device will turn on, and then turn off after holding it.
    NOTE: Do not let go of either button until your device has powered on and off again.
  9. Put the SD Card into your nook.
    NOTE: If it is already in there eject it and then put it back in.
  10. Power your Nook on normally.
  11. You will see a picture of N on the screen followed by a box with a white background followed by CWM booting up.
  12. Select flash update.zip.
  13. Select Select from SD card.
  14. Select your .zip
  15. Reboot device
    NOTE: Remove the SD card after your device reboots as if you don't it will continue to boot from the SD card.

Downloads:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dwwhzaixwwh2015
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to Indirect For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Indirect Ad-Free
27th January 2012, 09:32 PM |#15  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 335

More
Exclamation Doesn't work here, but ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indirect

1. Setup SDCard
Using a new SDCard (not one you have info stored on) make a new MSDOS partition table and add a 50 MB FAT32 partition as the first primary partition. Then make sure you enable to boot and lda flags.

Any SDCARD larger than 50 MB should work but I used an extra 2GB laying around. You can add other partitions to the card if you want, but it is not necessary to allocate the entire card. Any added partitions would need to be manually mounted on your Nook anyway.
I used GParted on my Ubuntu machine to do this but any formating tool should work.

2. Copy Files onto SDCard
You can grab the files I used here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dr6bqau194389te

Just UnZip the files directly to the root of the boot partition you created above (make sure flashing_boot.img, u-boot.bin, and boot.img are on the root not the folder SDCARD)

3. Insert SDCARD into NT
Now, with your NT powered off, eject the SDCARD you just created from your computer and insert it into the tablet. Then just turn it on and VOLA! You should now be in CWM!

Ever since I created the "v1.4.1 minimal root" procedure, I have been looking for a technique to "side-boot" the NT. A few days ago I saw "bauwks" method, but try as I might, I could not get that to work (using 1.4.1 u-boot.bin). So, when I saw yours this morning and saw that it uses the 1.4.0 u-boot.bin, I thought I'd give it a try. Didn't work. I even used "dd" to clear 5MB of the SDcard, reestablished the desired disk geometry (255 heads, 63 sectors/track), and created a LBA/bootable partition at the beginning of the SDcard, all with "fdisk" (via busybox). Still no SDcard boot.

Symptoms:
  1. With the SDcard (from above) inserted and the NT powered on, the NT shows a black screen for about 3 minutes, and then boots the internal memory.
  2. Removing MLO from the SDcard causes normal NT internal memory booting, so clearly the NT boot process is looking at the correct place on the SDcard (note that the MLO for 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 are identical).
  3. I tried this with both 1.4.1 and 1.4.0 (reverted) installed on the internal memory.
  4. Note that this is my 2nd NT (bought Dec 9th). The 1st one (bought Nov 15th) was able to side-boot using an SDcard created per pokey9000's instructions, but when I tried to recreate that card for the 2nd NT, it didn't work. Both NTs came with 1.4.0 installed, but only the 2nd NT was ever updated to 1.4.1.
So, unless I am doing something really stupid, there's something different between the two NTs I've owned. Note that "bauwks" had a problem booting from the SDcard, unless he had the USB cable connected, but others have not seen that symptom.

Note to Indirect: I don't expect you to fix this; I'm just posting it here as information.
27th January 2012, 09:49 PM |#16  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida

Donate to Me
More
disregard this post.
27th January 2012, 10:16 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 453

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGibson

Ever since I created the "v1.4.1 minimal root" procedure, I have been looking for a technique to "side-boot" the NT. A few days ago I saw "bauwks" method, but try as I might, I could not get that to work (using 1.4.1 u-boot.bin). So, when I saw yours this morning and saw that it uses the 1.4.0 u-boot.bin, I thought I'd give it a try. Didn't work. I even used "dd" to clear 5MB of the SDcard, reestablished the desired disk geometry (255 heads, 63 sectors/track), and created a LBA/bootable partition at the beginning of the SDcard, all with "fdisk" (via busybox). Still no SDcard boot.

Symptoms:

1. With the SDcard (from above) inserted and the NT powered on, the NT shows a black screen for about 3 minutes, and then boots the internal memory.
  2. Removing MLO from the SDcard causes normal NT internal memory booting, so clearly the NT boot process is looking at the correct place on the SDcard (note that the MLO for 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 are identical).
  3. I tried this with both 1.4.1 and 1.4.0 (reverted) installed on the internal memory.
  4. Note that this is my 2nd NT (bought Dec 9th). The 1st one (bought Nov 15th) was able to side-boot using an SDcard created per pokey9000's instructions, but when I tried to recreate that card for the 2nd NT, it didn't work. Both NTs came with 1.4.0 installed, but only the 2nd NT was ever updated to 1.4.1.
So, unless I am doing something really stupid, there's something different between the two NTs I've owned. Note that "bauwks" had a problem booting from the SDcard, unless he had the USB cable connected, but others have not seen that symptom.

Note to Indirect: I don't expect you to fix this; I'm just posting it here as information.

Dean;
Try the post right above this, and dont change anything, just format using the flasher(will automatically write all of the partitions as they should be), and see if it works. (Though im about 90% sure it should)
27th January 2012, 10:25 PM |#18  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida

Donate to Me
More
uploading a new version of the Gapps and Root zip that include several things, such as homecatcher and adw (for the next important part):
including NT Hidden settings app which will actually allow you to sideload apps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Indirect For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Indirect Ad-Free
27th January 2012, 11:23 PM |#19  
Flag Peoria, IL
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indirect

Description:
This is a image, and flasher for windows designed to make it so that anyone can flash make a magic SD card to load up CWM, and root their device. THIS IS A UNIVERSAL ROOT, AND CAN BE DONE ON ANY FIRMWARE.

Indirect does it again, thank you a million times!
27th January 2012, 11:33 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
MAC INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Insert the SD card into your Mac
2. Open "Disk Utility" and click on the SD card on the right
3. Click "Info" and note the disk identifier (in my case disk3)
4. Unmount partitions of sd card by clicking unmount
5. open Terminal.app
6. Navigate to folder containing cwm_sd_flashing_boot.img (requires knowledge of basic unix commands)
7. Type "sudo dd if=cwm_sd_flashing_boot.img of=/dev/[disk indentifier] bs=1m" which in my case read "sudo dd if=cwm_sd_flashing_boot.img of=/dev/disk3 bs=1m"
8. Wait as this process takes a while to complete (sometimes 10 minutes to write 2GB). You can type ctrl-t to get a status update, the number before records out represents MBs transfered (should end at 2048)
9. Eject the SD card and follow the instructions in other posts
The Following User Says Thank You to VanillaIcee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VanillaIcee Ad-Free
27th January 2012, 11:37 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 453

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot226

Indirect does it again, thank you a million times!

Yeah good job ind... O wait... :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaIcee

MAC INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Insert the SD card into your Mac
2. Open "Disk Utility" and click on the SD card on the right
3. Click "Info" and note the disk identifier (in my case disk3)
4. Unmount partitions of sd card by clicking unmount
5. open Terminal.app
6. Navigate to folder containing cwm_sd_flashing_boot.img (requires knowledge of basic unix commands)
7. Type "sudo dd if=cwm_sd_flashing_boot.img of=/dev/[disk indentifier] bs=1m" which in my case read "sudo dd if=cwm_sd_flashing_boot.img of=/dev/disk3 bs=1m"
8. Wait as this process takes a while to complete (sometimes 10 minutes to write 2GB). You can type ctrl-t to get a status update, the number before records out represents MBs transfered (should end at 2048)
9. Eject the SD card and follow the instructions in other posts

Yea i didnt have mac to test when i was making that... You might be able to just burn the img to disk using disk utility. I will try when i get home... Also i'm going to strip down the img to make it much much much smaller
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)