By Indirect, Senior Member on 27th January 2012, 02:09 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th January 2012, 11:37 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 453

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot226

Indirect does it again, thank you a million times!

Yeah good job ind... O wait... :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaIcee

MAC INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Insert the SD card into your Mac
2. Open "Disk Utility" and click on the SD card on the right
3. Click "Info" and note the disk identifier (in my case disk3)
4. Unmount partitions of sd card by clicking unmount
5. open Terminal.app
6. Navigate to folder containing cwm_sd_flashing_boot.img (requires knowledge of basic unix commands)
7. Type "sudo dd if=cwm_sd_flashing_boot.img of=/dev/[disk indentifier] bs=1m" which in my case read "sudo dd if=cwm_sd_flashing_boot.img of=/dev/disk3 bs=1m"
8. Wait as this process takes a while to complete (sometimes 10 minutes to write 2GB). You can type ctrl-t to get a status update, the number before records out represents MBs transfered (should end at 2048)
9. Eject the SD card and follow the instructions in other posts

Yea i didnt have mac to test when i was making that... You might be able to just burn the img to disk using disk utility. I will try when i get home... Also i'm going to strip down the img to make it much much much smaller

28th January 2012, 01:31 AM |#22  
Flag Peoria, IL
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Would i be able to do this by simply plugging my nook into my computer with the sd card in it, and follow everything the same way? I was saying as an alternative to getting a card reader, as I do not have access to one.
28th January 2012, 02:29 AM |#23  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 335

More
Lightbulb Why oh why yet another compression format ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indirect

1. Download the packages listed in the download folder, and extract them to your desktop.
  2. Extract .rar, and then extract the image from the .rar , and the flasher from the .zip
    NOTE: Do not extract the .zip with superuser and su.
  3. Open the image flasher .exe, and browse for the .img that you extracted from the .rar

Why oh why yet another (and in this case proprietary) compression format (RAR) ??? (And yet another way to get a virus or trojan from closed-source software ...)

I have a couple of patents on data compression (5,371,499 and 5,406,278) and associated software, and I don't go around introducing yet another incompatible compression format into the utility mainstream. Let's stick to the standards of ZIP and gzip, guys!!!

I don't install/use 7ZIP for the same reason.
28th January 2012, 02:33 AM |#24  
Flag Wolfforth, TX
Thanks Meter: 300

Donate to Me
More
Windows packages in rar files now as well as zip. The program Winrar is now more popular than winzip... Just saying winrar free use from cnet download.
The Following User Says Thank You to albertwertz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift albertwertz Ad-Free
28th January 2012, 02:36 AM |#25  
Flag Jacksonville
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGibson

Why oh why yet another (and in this case proprietary) compression format (RAR) ??? (And yet another way to get a virus or trojan from closed-source software ...)

I have a couple of patents on data compression (5,371,499 and 5,406,278) and associated software, and I don't go around introducing yet another incompatible compression format into the utility mainstream. Let's stick to the standards of ZIP and gzip, guys!!!

First of all I trust indirect. He has been here since the beginning. Why do people troll forums to bash someones hard work? You don't like the format, start your own build. People in windows, get a partition program, make the partition, right click and make it active. Paste files put in nook and reboot l I promise it works. There is a whole thread to this and tips in the comments on what to use. Pm me if you need help.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikestad16 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikestad16 Ad-Free
28th January 2012, 02:41 AM |#26  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 3,055

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

chill, I'm uploading a zip archive of all the files in one so then you don't need to keep extracting crap. Happy now?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Indirect For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Indirect Ad-Free
28th January 2012, 02:44 AM |#27  
Flag Jacksonville

More
Quote:

chill, I'm uploading a zip archive of all the files in one so then you don't need to keep extracting crap. Happy now?

Thanks dude don't worry about his complaints.
28th January 2012, 02:49 AM |#28  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 3,055

Donate to Me
More
There, changed the zip with the rar and whatnot to a simple zip file. Happy now?
The Following User Says Thank You to Indirect For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Indirect Ad-Free
28th January 2012, 02:52 AM |#29  
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Exclamation Who makes the choice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertwertz

Windows packages in rar files now as well as zip. The program Winrar is now more popular than winzip... Just saying winrar free use from cnet download.

I don't want to change the original subject of the thread, but:
  • Windows 7 recognizes ZIP files but not RAR files.
  • The popularity of WinRAR and 7ZIP is a reflection of users being forced (by file providers) to download yet another decompression utility, not by user choice/demand.
  • WinRAR is apparently only free for 40 days.
28th January 2012, 02:55 AM |#30  
Flag Jacksonville

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestad16

First of all I trust indirect. He has been here since the beginning. Why do people troll forums to bash someones hard work? You don't like the format, start your own build. People in windows, get a partition program, make the partition, right click and make it active. Paste files put in nook and reboot l I promise it works. There is a whole thread to this and tips in the comments on what to use. Pm me if you need help.

Windows users use easeus paration magic or mini tool partition both work well after creating partition just right click and mark as active then apply. After created paste files to root of folder.

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 AM ----------

Quote:

I don't want to change the original subject of the thread, but:

• Windows 7 recognizes ZIP files but not RAR files.
  • The popularity of WinRAR and 7ZIP is a reflection of users being forced (by file providers) to download yet another decompression utility, not by user choice/demand.
  • WinRAR is apparently only free for 40 days.

We get the point you have nothing useful to.contribute to this thread.
28th January 2012, 03:00 AM |#31  
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestad16

First of all I trust indirect. He has been here since the beginning. Why do people troll forums to bash someones hard work?

I trust Indirect as well, and have credited him over on the B&N forums. Did you know that? It's the authors of the closed-source compression software that I have the issue with.

As for trolling, if you look at my contributions to repartitioning the NC or rooting the NT, you will find that I have the first root of 1.4.1. Did you know that? I also think Indirect's method here is superior to mine (because it is more general), which is why I am interested in it, and will promote it.

Before you go around with your tiny post/thanks counts calling people "trolls", you might try something even easier than trolling. It's called reading.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Quote:

There, changed the zip with the rar and whatnot to a simple zip file. Happy now?

Yes I am, and I thank you very much. I think this makes the collection easier for a lot of people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeanGibson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DeanGibson Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)